Humble Bundle Thread

New Choice Bundle tomorrow. I've been trying to play at least one game from each Humble Choice I get so that I can help justify buying them.

This month I played and finished The Gunk. I expect lots of people have tried it since I hear it was on Gamepass. If you're looking for a short action/adventure puzzle-ish game, this is a good one to try. I finished it in about 6 hours and was fairly thorough.

The developer is known for the various Steamworld games and I would say the art style is reminiscent of that, though this game is played in third person. The levels are attractive and flow pretty well. The gameplay loop consists of a little cleanup via a suction device, some light shooting, and lots of easy platforming and environmental puzzles. The characters are voice acted well. It's easy to complete this one in a day or two at most, but it doesn't feel incomplete.

In November I played Unpacking. I like completing games and short games help me balance out my penchant for huge open world or endless games. This fit the bill at about 5.4 hours.

You're presented with various rooms or houses in which you must unpack and place your belongings. This appeals to a certain kind of person, I think. It's fairly easy and obvious, but some placement requires a bit of thought. Space is limited and there are rules, after all. Your rubber duck is not okay for the living room table.

The most interesting thing about this game is the way it tells a story. I wouldn't call it profound, but I appreciate how they took something ordinary and allowed it to set a scene. It doesn't feel like it tries to give you too many specifics either -- just enough to get you to mentally fill in the blanks. Very enjoyable!

Didn't expect to see Roguebook in the new monthly. That's a nice surprise. I've almost bought that game so many times that...I should probably verify that I don't have an unredeemed key for it sitting around here somewhere.

Whoops. Gilby’d last month’s Choice. I was only really interested in Expeditions Rome, and I haven’t even started either of the other Expeditions games that I already own, so I guess I’m not super broken up over it.

1704343353666.png

Got this email from Humble reminding that the Doom Eternal keys will "expire" at the end of the month. The wording is interesting though, since as we all know revealing a key doesn't actually use it. Maybe they are assuming anyone who reveals it then uses it, since trading is technically forbidden. So either the revealing/gifting function will just go away and the keys will be unchanged, or the keys will truly become non-functional at that time. I've long used mine so I won't be testing it but if anyone has the ability and the urge, it would be interesting to see if a revealed but unused key still works after that date.

Related - Deathloop keys expired yesterday and Ghostwire Tokyo keys expire at the end of June.

Unrelated - Already played 13 hours of Midnight Suns after getting it yesterday, though more of that time was spent on loading screens than I'm used to these days.

FWIW I was able to reveal and redeem my Deathloop key today, but I wouldn't count on that function working much longer.

I definitely have keys from other past bundles where the "Reveal Key" button has disappearred and was replaced with "The redemption deadline was XX, XX, 2022"

Like this one from the Stand With Ukraine bundle:
1704344769953.png

FWIW I was able to reveal and redeem my Deathloop key today, but I wouldn't count on that function working much longer.

I definitely have keys from other past bundles where the "Reveal Key" button has disappearred and was replaced with "The redemption deadline was XX, XX, 2022"

View attachment 215
Yeah I got the Ukraine bundle as well. I'm careful to keep an eye out for those, as they label them up front now. They didn't used to, and I would have keys expire on me after a length of time. (this was years ago)

View attachment 215

Yeah I really suspect they just remove the reveal option and "return" the unused keys to the publisher, who either then disables them or just never reuses them. I don't know the exact mechanics of key expiration that Steam has in place but it's gone wrong often enough that I don't think most publishers do it lightly. Honestly I much prefer keys expire than just go endlessly without ever restocking, which is currently happening with a few other games from Humble like Roboquest.

This is garbage.

The whole "buying a key" (yeah, and I use the word "buy" loosely here) and then it getting returned to the dev/pub or even revoked from being able to be activated is crap. I get they are trying to stop the 2nd-hand market and whatnot - but it's just plain silly for consumers, who often throw their hard-earned money at these dev's/publishers for games (games that we really don't "own" at all even anymore).

How hard is it for them to actually generate new keys for their games? [shrug]

You can make a valid argument that we technically only have a license to play games and it ain't ours from EULA's, SSA's, and any other legalese pertaining to software & games, especially more so so many awful DRM schemes and whatnot - but I'd like to keep my keys.

And, who knows - maybe I got a friend that I could see tossing an extra key to, that I'd just like to give the key to? [shrug]

If the pub's want the key back, they should "buy it back" from me at whatever the bundle costed me or refund me; even if it's a partial refund.

Last edited:
I really hate that all the garbage associated with NFTs made the likelihood of better respect and laws for digital property ownership diminish, because it's been sorely needed for a long time. We should own our keys and our games and our accounts and be able to trade them and sell them as we deem fit. The fact that is still isn't even legal most places (maybe anywhere) to bequeath a Steam or Google or Apple or World of Warcraft or whatnot account to someone is absolute garbage.

More specifically to Humble, it's garbage that at the end of each month they don't obtain exactly how many keys they need for the people that bought the Choice and then distribute them. They know exactly how many people got it and there's no excuse for them to ever run out of keys in that situation. Maybe during the month itself, but not within a few days of the month rolling over.

Hamble’s got a Discworld ebook bundle, though you have to go through a service called Kobo to get them. File format isn’t listed, either.

That is a stellar deal for some quality reads, but I'll be damned if I am going to jump through the hoops to convert the files to load them onto my kindle, or drop more than $150 on a Kobo reader - so I guess I'll just grab the paper copies off the shelf and read them when the urge strikes.

Hamble’s got a Discworld ebook bundle, though you have to go through a service called Kobo to get them. File format isn’t listed, either.

I believe it's ePub. The Mercedes Lackey bundle 6 months ago are on my PC as epub, though I can't remember if I had to remove DRM or anything. I did buy Discworld, so I can check later.

Edit: Yes, it has DRM, Calibre can remove it with plugins.

Last edited:
That was one expensive fanatical bundle
Yeah I really wanted bzzzt or however you spell it. I really enjoyed the demo in a Steam Fest. If I would have known I would have paired something else with it. It was expensive too and I barely bought it like 2 days ago because I kept waffling on it. Should have waffled a bit more!

I've played it. As well as the sequel. It's a hybrid of a very conventional turn based jrpg with VN story sequences.
The draw for most is quite simply moe character designs that people like, as common with idea factory / compile heart products. There's some nice music tracks in DER1 and some solid voice acting. The story is just ok. The actual combat gameplay is pretty rough, with the main novel mechanic being knocking enemies around to different spots to trigger various effects. The worst part of the game is navigating very poorly designed dungeon stages. There's some very poorly-executed censorship forced into the game as well. It's an "ok" game for people who really like jrpgs and likely a below average experience for people who don't.

Last edited:
Controller'd Chaos Bundle (for games needing gamepads):
-> https://www.humblebundle.com/games/controllerd-chaos

Note: All keys are Steam keys.

$10 Tier:

-> Sunset Overdrive
-> Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Remastered
-> Destroy All Humans
-> Rain on Your Parade (game)
-> Humble Coupon for 50% off for Rain on Your Parade: New Levels and Features DLC via the Humble Store.

$14 Tier:
-> Maneater
-> Orcs Must Die 3: Complete
-> No More Heroes

Last edited:
Kodanasha (Award- Winning and Nominated Manga) Bundle

$25 Tier

A Sign of Affection Vol 1 - 7
A Silent Voice Vol 6 - 7
The Drops of God Vol 31 - 44
Nina the Starry bride Vol 7 - 10
Shangri-la-Frontier Vol 11 - 12
Vinland Saga Vol 10 - 13
What Did You Eat Yesterday Vol 3 - 10
Witch Hat Atelier Vol 10 - 11

$15 Tier

A Silent Voice Vol 4 - 5
Blue Period Vol 9 - 13
The Drops of God Vol 16 - 30
Medalist Vol 7 - 8
Shangri-la-Frontier Vol 9 - 10
Witch Hat Atelier Vol 6 - 9
Vinland Saga Vol 4 - 9

$10 Tier

A Silent Voice Vol 2 - 3
Blue Period Vol 2 - 8
The Drops of God Vol 1 - 15
Medalist Vol 2 - 6
Nina the Starry bride Vol 2 - 6
Shangri-la-Frontier Vol 2 - 8
Witch Hat Atelier Vol 2 - 5
Vinland Saga Vol 1 - 3

$1 Tier

A Silent Voice Vol 1
Blue Period Vol 1
Medalist Vol 1
Nina the Starry bride Vol 1
Shangri-la-Frontier Vol 1
Witch Hat Atelier Vol 1

Note the only complete manga here are A Silent Voice and The Drops of God. I recommend A Silent Voice (a bit overrated but a good enough story and characters) and What Did You Eat Yesterday (Great slice of life manga with recipes!). I've never read The Drops of God so I may get this one.

Radiant Black and the Massiverse Image Comic Bundle

$18 Tier

The Dead Lucky, Vol. 1
Inferno Girl Red, Vol. 1
Radiant Black, Vol. 4
Radiant Pink, Vol. 1
Radiant Red, Vol. 1
Rogue Sun, Vol. 2

$10 Tier

C.O.W.L., Vol. 2 The Greater Good
Radiant Black, Vol. 2
Radiant Black, Vol. 3
Rogue Sun, Vol. 1
Shift
Supermassive: One-Shot (2022)
Supermassive: One-Shot (2023)

$1 Tier

C.O.W.L., Vol. 1 Principles of Power
Radiant Black, Vol. 1

I always like Image Comics and a bundle to get a bunch of comics in a universe is one I'll try.

The leak was posted over in the Steam thread so I'm posting it here. The graphic has the four features, but near the top you can find the rest of the games in the bundle.

That makes it:
Life is Strange: True Colors
Scorn
Destroy all Humans 2
Werewolf The Apocalypse
Beacon Pines
There is No Light
Children of Silentown
Oaken

It may be a pass for me. I might consider it with a discount, but none of those made my wishlist.

I've got Destroy all Humans on my wishlist. I thought it interesting that they'd bundle the second one. Turns out it's not as well-regarded as the first. Scorn looks absolutely gorgeous, but I suspect it's coasting largely on its looks and the comments seem to agree somewhat. I've never played any Life is Strange game though I own a few, but I'm not swayed either way by this inclusion.

Oddly, the point and click, Children of Silentown is most appealing to me, though I don't play much of that genre any more.

I don't see any homeruns in there for most people. Humble appears to be casting a wide net of adjacently-good games for this month.

I prefer the February bundle over January's DLC bait bundle. We're probably not getting the deluxe or ultimate edition of Life is Strange but I'm ok with the base game and it's nice to complete the series. The other games look decent enough but I'll have to refund Oaken (or the full fanatical platinum bundle if they don't let me refund just that game lol, I haven't revealed any keys).

Pls give coupon this time. I skipped the January bundle cuz I'd rather just wait till Midnight Suns Legendary edition gets cheap, but I would've bought it with a coupon

Way too many narrative/point&click games for February. Kind of crazy to limit the lineup to one genre so much. Even Scorn is like a horror spin on the Myst formula from what I can tell.

Pretty easy skip for me unless I can get some trades going.

Ok I gotta say this because just dam I find this annoying & funny.. So I pick up that Games Done Quick bundle it being my first bundle in quite some time (since 2019 if my library is accurate) like a week ago. I just opened the email associated with it to find my inbox flooded with Humble Bundle emails to the rate of 20 A DAY, nearly 1 ever hour, every day since then... Wtf seriously? Do they think spaming me into oblivion from orbit is going adhere me to make more purchases from them?!?

930f7ab7-25e5-47f2-bc1c-05d324605b53_text.gif

bread's done
Back