I am so Old School that...

[quote name='KingDox']I'm still waiting to see some kid come in here and talk about owning a long box PSX game.[/QUOTE]
You get some old school points from me if you do ;)

Seriously I need to get oregon trail , I remember just going hunting for days in the game just for fun. That was back when most school used apple floppy computers. I was born in 1984, but they stiil used them.

[quote name='greydemise']i love the powerglove..its so BAD!
-THATS how old school i am :cool:..if u dont kno that line , u lose all ur old school-age

-i grew up with the old apple green-screen oregon trail, and states and capitals..hell yea (if u wanna call the latter a game..go right ahead)[/QUOTE]

Common that line is to easy ;)

I used to own the 1st issue of Next Generation gaming magazine when it first came out ;)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']:shock:[/QUOTE]
[quote name='DuelLadyS']

-I used to beat Streets of Rage playing with my toes about once a week. (I gave up that hobby when I got a PS... hitting shoulder buttons with your toes is hard!)[/QUOTE]
Just imagine what could be done with her hands :lol:

[quote name='jollydwarf']...I personally witnessed what was one of the very first 'Easter Eggs' in gaming. Anyone else remember what happened in "Space Invaders Deluxe" if you cleared a board and managed to save a bottom-row alien for last? I mean, we're talking 1980 here, '81 at latest.[/QUOTE]

It was some kind of rainbow effect, correct? I never witnessed it personally, but I remember reading about it in this old thing: http://my.execpc.com/~krieg/IMAGES/mastervg2b.jpg

A few of my personal old-school claims to fame:
*I still have my Mega-Maniacs Activision patch
*I participated in the "Name This Game" contest by U.S. Games (a divison of Quaker Oats!) and actually placed (my prize? A copy of the game)
*I hooked my Joyboard (Atari 2600 controller) up to my Sega Nomad to play Streets of Rage 2 (bonus points if you can tell me who manufactured the Joyboard)
*I get annoyed with the Hollywood FX guys whenever I hear Atari 2600 Donkey Kong sound effects used in a TV show to represent someone playing a video game (unless, of course, said TV show characters are actually playing Donkey Kong on an Atari 2600)
*I paid $50 in Akihabara for the Phantasy Star I "remake" for the Sega MegaDrive even though it's identical in every way to the Master System version.
*I have five of the seven issues of the Nintendo Fun Club News polybagged (I missed out on Issue 1, and they never sent me a copy of the Zelda cover issue for some reason)
*I have a Double Dragon machine in my basement
*I'm listening to the soundtrack to the Famicom Disc version of Metroid as I type this.

--------DM

[quote name='Strell']So old school I don't have to create topics to proclaim how old school I am.[/QUOTE]

I'm so old school that I don't even have to POST in a topic to proclaim how old school I am....

not very old school... But I still have my old teddy ruxpin (sp?) fairytale doll (you insert cassette tapes into his spine and he starts telling fairytales). One eyeball is missing and I think there's cockroaches living inside him... He still works but he's kinda creepy when he moves his mouth and cockroaches start crawling out of his eye socket and mouth.

The under $50 bucks quote is awesome....But wait theres more......a shocking new game in your video store.

I remember playing my TI/99/4a, Hunt the Wumpus, Alpiner (with its imfamous speech synthizer-- HELLLLLLLLLLL, when the climbers falls) and of course, the first graphically enhanced RPG I played, Tunnels of Doom (saved games on cassettes of course.)

Im soo oldschool that this was the first system I ever owned...

combat_c.jpg

combat_b.jpg

And DuelladyS isnt the only one to play with her feet. My friend and I used to play Freeway for the 2600 with our feet, placing the joystick upside down on the floor and stepping on the underside of it like a gas pedal, it was more challenging, cos you could only move forward.

I'm so Old School, I once got busted for returning Election 84' for the Colecovision.

Here's the story, back in the days of Coleco and Atari, you could return games as long as you had your receipt. If it was open or sealed, at any retailer. I was 11 at the time, and while I heard the game was fun, I want to blow shit up. I didn't want to micromanage a political campaign, with a bit of Qix thrown in. I returned the game at Toys R Us, where I had been returning about a game a month.

I filled out the return paperwork, and the managers called my parents saying, "Do you know your son is habitually returning games to our store?"

Well, my parents yelled and I didn't return anything in that store until '89, when the original Gameboy came out. I've been gaming for over twenty years; that's OLD SCHOOL!

[quote name='Puffa469']Im soo oldschool that this was the first system I ever owned[/QUOTE]

I always wanted one of those. I remember playing a Tank arcade game like that with my dad.

..Was scared shitless by "Dungeons of Daggorath" as a kid.
..Played text based games on a TRS 80 CoCo2.
..Have used BBS services on my old computer.
..I have Pitfall and Barnstormer Activision patches.

[quote name='ZeroHero']I played "Readers Rabbits" as a learning game back when I was a little kid.[/QUOTE]
I played that when I was a little kid, in '95...

[quote name='lurknomore']I have a box of Donkey Kong cereal that is open and beyond stale on top of my refridgerator. I should probably get around to cleaning the crap up there.[/QUOTE]
But I've got two of the cels from the cereal commercial:

Donkey Kong; Key Frame
Mario, Tweener

Fairly big pics, too lazy to resize

im so old school..that i still take pics of my TV when i beat a game and try to send it to Nintendo Power for their game high section.

is nintendo power still doing that?

[quote name='cyrix`']I played that when I was a little kid, in '95...[/QUOTE]

yea, but most people don't know about the game though. At least most common people don't. 95 is a decade ago btw ;) I played it back in 92 probably before that.

I'm so old school that one summer I beat Metroid once a day every day, getting my time down to under an hour.

I also was able to beat the first few levels of SMB, using a mirror.

Lastly, I aquired a NES game so new that when I called Nintendo Powers help line to help with a problem they did not even have the game and they called me back to walk through the area. Turns out I found a glitch in the game.

My mother, "umm, son, why is Nintendo on the phone?"

[quote name='csidegamer']How old?

I'm 39, my first system was an Odyssey 2.
First computer was a Timex Sinclair with the 16K Ram Expansion[/QUOTE]

Ha! Mine too! It's still in my Dad's attic, somewhere in a box. Modded it with a "real" keyboard and I/O expansion.

First gaming system was a Sears Tele-Games. I think I was 7 or 8.

[quote name='BigDirty']But I've got two of the cels from the cereal commercial:

Donkey Kong; Key Frame
Mario, Tweener

Fairly big pics, too lazy to resize[/QUOTE]

I like the 2nd cel... mario made some cereral.

My oldschoolness.... playing smurfs on a colecvision. Begging my parents for the power glove on xmas...it was like 80 bucks... then sold it a week later for 50. I just picked up a boxed one a few weeks ago for 5 ;).

Wow, Colecovision... that brings back the memories. I remember I got my Colecovision when I was in the third grade... 1983... damn...

[quote name='daroga']I used to wait 10 minutes for Ghostbusters to load on my C64. :D[/QUOTE]

Should have gotten a Fast Load cartridge,
Wait, that probably was with a Fast Load Cartridge. #-o

[quote name='csidegamer']Should have gotten a Fast Load cartridge,
Wait, that probably was with a Fast Load Cartridge. #-o[/QUOTE]

Not sure. It was actually a C128, running in C64 mode. Was just on a floppy disk. No wonder I loved my Nintendo so much when I finally got one (post-Mario 3 release).

[quote name='csidegamer']Should have gotten a Fast Load cartridge,
Wait, that probably was with a Fast Load Cartridge. #-o[/QUOTE]

the Fastload cart ruled! I remember punching notches in all my floppy discs so I could use the other side.

Im soo oldschool that I don't even need the Konami code for nes Contra, I can beat that game without dying.

[quote name='Puffa469']the Fastload cart ruled! I remember punching notches in all my floppy discs so I could use the other side.

Im soo oldschool that I don't even need the Konami code for nes Contra, I can beat that game without dying.[/QUOTE]

In a nintendpower they had info on a guy doing it like 10 times in a row with the power glove :p

So old school I used to stay up way past my bedtime playing Lock 'n' Chase on the Intellivision with my mom to see what the next item on the maze would be. The last one I remember seeing was a camera.

[quote name='Puffa469']the Fastload cart ruled! I remember punching notches in all my floppy discs so I could use the other side.[/QUOTE]
My dad used to make me notch and copy disks for him all the time. At first I thought it was cool, then after swapping so many disks I started to hate it more than anything else in the world.

[quote name='wageslave']..Was scared shitless by "Dungeons of Daggorath" as a kid.
[/QUOTE]

lol, that reminds me of how I used to get scared by the flying dragon sprite in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons for the Intellivision.

20 years of gaming and I still remember hooking the Atari up to the old black and white TV we had at the time. And I remember when paper, pencil and a couple friends were all we had for RPG's.\

It's a great time to be a cheap ass gamer.

bread's done
Back