I need money,

loca

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Well who doesn't. regardless I need to make some money because I want to buy myself a netbook. I don't have a job, although I have been looking, it is hard getting a job at 16 in NY. I have sold some of my stuff. I sold my sidekick already and I am looking for what else I can sell, but point of me posting this is do any CAGS out there know of ways to make money online. I use DollarSurveys but as the title says it really only a Dollar.

Any ideas?

[quote name='pacifickarma']Have you tried sleeping with 50 fat women for $1000 each?[/QUOTE]
It might not seem so, but it could be faster to sleep with 5,000 really fat women for $10 each. No way a really fat chick is turnin' down some hot 16 year old jailbait lovin' for 10 bucks. No way.

[quote name='MisterModest']It might not seem so, but it could be faster to sleep with 5,000 really fat women for $10 each. No way a really fat chick is turnin' down some hot 16 year old jailbait lovin' for 10 bucks. No way.[/QUOTE]

Why not 500 moderately fat women for $100 each? That's the most bang for your buck right there!

that fat women scam seems to pay the big bucks huh.

jokes aside I don't have much old video games. I was considering selling my PS3, but then I might want it back. Any other ideas?

when i was in middle/high school in the summers i mowed lawns, $10 for small lawns $20 for large lawns, came to about $10/hr which was pretty good.. but that might be tough to do if by new york you mean city and not state, i don't think there's much lawn in NYC.

you could always do similar labor-ready type work... clean houses, pools, walk dogs, etc.

check craigslist for similar work. some old people or disabled people will pay for 'helper' type people to just get their mail and run errands and stuff, they usually enlist help through craigs list.

the main point is that you don't need to be employed to make money, but you're not gonna find much to do online.

[quote name='Koggit']check craigslist for similar work. some old people or disabled people will pay for 'helper' type people to just get their mail and run errands and stuff, they usually enlist help through craigs list.
[/QUOTE]

53799d1233210381t-herbert-family-guy-oldman.jpg

I agree with Koggit, check craigslist for menial labor. The work you find won't exactly be easy, but you're 16, you don't have much of a choice.

And stay away from Herbert-types.

[quote name='xcopy']You could always give hand-jobs. $20 a yank.[/QUOTE]

The problem with this is that it goes good until you find that one penis that..... it's all nasty and splochy. Or you get the one penis that's so majestic, it turns you gay.

[quote name='Chronis']The problem with this is that it goes good until you find that one penis that..... it's all nasty and splochy. Or you get the one penis that's so majestic, it turns you gay.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='Chronis']The problem with this is that it goes good until you find that one penis that..... it's all nasty and splochy. Or you get the one penis that's so majestic, it turns you gay.[/QUOTE]

Wow...Have you seen this so called magical penis! I have not....

[quote name='Chronis']Or you get the one penis that's so majestic, it turns you gay.[/QUOTE]

Occupational Hazard. I'm sure this kid's netbook will be well worth it.

Did you get your working papers yet? Unless they changed the legal age to work recently, I obtained my working papers at your age.

To stay somewhat in topic, I started working as a Feeder at a Nursing Home. It's as bad as it sounds... Still, I worked 10 hours a week for $50 and it was a pretty laid back job. That and the nurses on my floor were particularly hot and always loved talking to me.

It's summer time start knocking on doors offering to mow grass, do yard work, clean whatever. Be a gopher and make money the way all kids used to make money in the summer. Or go to Sams Club or similiar and buy a case of candy bars and a large manilla envelope then print a fake fundraiser thing for it and you are a charity. I say just suck dicks. :)

This problem can be avoided. You only want enough for a netbook. So dont make a career out of it with the 20 bucks a yank. Bite the bullet, sleep with an old man, and bam you have your netbook. You dont tell anyone. Let me stress this, You dont tell anyone!

[quote name='AceSXE']This problem can be avoided. You only want enough for a netbook. So dont make a career out of it with the 20 bucks a yank. Bite the bullet, sleep with an old man, and bam you have your netbook. You dont tell anyone. Let me stress this, You dont tell anyone![/QUOTE]

Remember to tell us though. Do it for the team.

Man, you guys are so messed up, haha.

Look for rare games to buy at flea markets/yard sales/GameStops and sell them on eBay/Amazon. Works for me.

Also, this needs to be quoted again:

:joystick:

:rofl:

Wait...

How the fuck did you get a PS3 and a Sidekick with no job?

Oh, he's 16. Just ask your stupid parents for the damn thing.

Actually sidekick was given as a a gift from a friend. PS3 was half of my money I put up when I fix a PC or Laptops and other half was parents put up.

At your age you could do a couple of things if you are just looking to get enough for a netbook...

Wash cars.
Cut grass.
Cut hair for friends (only if you are good at it).
Walk neighbors dogs.
Babysit (if you are a responsible person).

Mow your neighbors lawns. That's what I used to do, and it actually paid pretty well since you determine your own prices and have no taxes to pay. You don't even have to be hired by anyone. Just do it yourself.

Umm no offense, but you need to hit the fucking pavement and LOOK for jobs. You're not going to get job offers posting in a discount game shopping forum. You're 16, you are of working age.

Get your papers by starting here:
http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/wphmpg.shtm

Then go here to start looking.
http://www.snagajob.com/job-seeker/jobs/search-results.aspx?postalCode=10010

When you are done with disappointment, LEAVE the house and look. No one is going to hand you a job. You need to be proACTIVE to get ACTION.

YOURE WELCOME :)

hmm I don't recall how the working papers stuff went even though I got it several years ago but don't you need to have your school do something? if you're in the city you basically screwed since most places won't be hiring some 16 year old unless you settle for minimum

there are plenty of 18+ year olds that would settle for minimum wage and aren't getting hired... unless you get a job through a friend, you're not getting hired at 16 in a big city... imo, don't even waste your time looking for steady employment, just do oddwork as many have suggested.

[quote name='Koggit']there are plenty of 18+ year olds that would settle for minimum wage and aren't getting hired... unless you get a job through a friend, you're not getting hired at 16 in a big city... imo, don't even waste your time looking for steady employment, just do oddwork as many have suggested.[/QUOTE]
I have two jobs that both pay ~$5 over minimum wage. I found them after looking for about 2 weeks.
It's definitely possible to get a job.

Problem is, this kid seems like a mouthbreather, so he's gonna get shotdown as soon as they talk to him.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']... if you're in the city you basically screwed since most places won't be hiring some 16 year old unless you settle for minimum[/QUOTE]
Tough fucking nuggets. If you are not out of high school, you have NO EXPERIENCE, NO DEGREE, NO TRADE. If im the employer why should I give you the time of day if you have none of those qualifications not to mention no INITIATIVE? I hate it when people think they are ENTITLED to a job that pays more than minimum pay.

Bottom line is its harder to get a job because the people who WANT to work are working... at what ever price INCLUDING minimum wage. People who want to 'work' and get a job watching tv, reading the paper or bullshitting with their buddies coming into the store have NO BUSINESS in this economy. Those Ambercrombie Jobs are gone kiddos.

[quote name='Liquid 2']... Problem is, this kid seems like a mouthbreather, so he's gonna get shotdown as soon as they talk to him.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. If you have no drive, dont waste both of our times. I applaud you for working 2 PT jobs. Work is available for those who WANT to work. Not those that think they are ENTITLED to. Bravo to you sir :applause:

[quote name='steve_k']Mow your neighbors lawns. That's what I used to do, and it actually paid pretty well since you determine your own prices and have no taxes to pay. You don't even have to be hired by anyone. Just do it yourself.[/QUOTE]

But remember to mow their lawn first, then go up to the door to notify the homeowner that they need to pay you.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']But remember to mow their lawn first, then go up to the door to notify the homeowner that they need to pay you.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I should have been more clear. The process is:

1. Let people know you are willing to mow yards
2. Reach an agreement with them
3. Mow the yard
4. Collect your payment (it will surely beat $6 an hour)
5. Say 'Thank you, please let me mow your yard again in a month'
6. Mow it again and repeat steps #3 through #5

I'm pretty sure you were being sarcastic, but maybe I was wrong about that.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I have two jobs that both pay ~$5 over minimum wage. I found them after looking for about 2 weeks.
It's definitely possible to get a job.

Problem is, this kid seems like a mouthbreather, so he's gonna get shotdown as soon as they talk to him.[/QUOTE]
but don't you have marketable skills? i know you're knowledgable in labview, latex, etc.. sounds like you'd be qualified to be a lab assistant or something. went to college?

i don't think you're quite comparable to a 16 y/o HS kid

[quote name='CappyCobra']Tough fucking nuggets. If you are not out of high school, you have NO EXPERIENCE, NO DEGREE, NO TRADE. If im the employer why should I give you the time of day if you have none of those qualifications not to mention no INITIATIVE? I hate it when people think they are ENTITLED to a job that pays more than minimum pay.

Bottom line is its harder to get a job because the people who WANT to work are working... at what ever price INCLUDING minimum wage. People who want to 'work' and get a job watching tv, reading the paper or bullshitting with their buddies coming into the store have NO BUSINESS in this economy. Those Ambercrombie Jobs are gone kiddos.

Exactly. If you have no drive, dont waste both of our times. I applaud you for working 2 PT jobs. Work is available for those who WANT to work. Not those that think they are ENTITLED to. Bravo to you sir :applause:[/QUOTE]

That's unfortunate. I'm a very old man (29 years old, but I tell myself I'm 30 so it won't hit me as hard when it actually happens) and remember way back to the mid-1990's when I got my first job at the age of 16. I had no qualifications as I was a typical dumbass who didn't even finish high school until age 17 (back then I didn't even know it was an option to graduate early!) and easily got a job at Wal-Mart for 25 cents over minimum wage. Even 5 years ago, it was easy to get a job with nothing more than a high school diploma for $8 to $10 an hour. Times have surely changed. Life is getting harder.

[quote name='Koggit']but don't you have marketable skills? i know you're knowledgable in labview, latex, etc.. sounds like you'd be qualified to be a lab assistant or something. went to college?

i don't think you're quite comparable to a 16 y/o HS kid[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but only one of my job utilizes those skills. The other is practically manual labor. I needed money, so I'm working something worth my time that gets me experience, and something else for the dollars.

And even if I didn't have skills, it wouldn't matter. It sure as hell didn't matter when I started working--for an organization, mind you, not just odd jobs--when I was 12 years old.

[quote name='CappyCobra']Exactly. If you have no drive, dont waste both of our times. I applaud you for working 2 PT jobs. Work is available for those who WANT to work. Not those that think they are ENTITLED to. Bravo to you sir :applause:[/QUOTE]Thanks. :)

[quote name='steve_k']That's unfortunate. I'm a very old man (29 years old, but I tell myself I'm 30 so it won't hit me as hard when it actually happens) and remember way back to the mid-1990's when I got my first job at the age of 16. I had no qualifications as I was a typical dumbass who didn't even finish high school until age 17 (back then I didn't even know it was an option to graduate early!) and easily got a job at Wal-Mart for 25 cents over minimum wage. Even 5 years ago, it was easy to get a job with nothing more than a high school diploma for $8 to $10 an hour. Times have surely changed. Life is getting harder.[/QUOTE]

You fail to miss my point. The fact of the matter is that the OP is asking for ideas on getting a job instead of getting off of the computer, going out and actively looking for a job. You cant me to tell me that there are zero jobs in the fast food, grocery or retail businesses in NYC?

When I was a manager (at Gamestop no less), I would get applicants all of the time that put down $8 even $12 (this was when minimum wage was like 6.25). No experience, No skills, but they believe that they are entitled to make above minimum wage. You know what happened to those applications? I never gave them the light of day.

What's worse is that the ones that weren't greedy, weren't exactly Rhodes Scholars. There were misspellings numerous times on the application but since they were reasonable on the pay rate, guess who would get a call? (yeah it was the 'Rhodes Scholars')

If the interview went well, they can add and subtract, & can talk to people without a stutter or drool escaping thier lips they were hired. Seriously though, if the person had a good attitude & ethics that made all of the difference.

talk about hectic reactions, thanks for those who suggested actual retails. I will hit up target and other similar places. A friend is trying to hook me up with a job walking dogs in Manhattan, not luxurious but it pays so oh well. The mall seems to be hiring, but you need to be 17 so womp womp. regardless the assumptions some of you guys made were a bit off, some of you just assumed i have not been looking believe you me, I have, but because of my age and lack of experience it is hard.

[quote name='steve_k']Maybe I should have been more clear. The process is:

1. Let people know you are willing to mow yards
2. Reach an agreement with them
3. Mow the yard
4. Collect your payment (it will surely beat $6 an hour)
5. Say 'Thank you, please let me mow your yard again in a month'
6. Mow it again and repeat steps #3 through #5

I'm pretty sure you were being sarcastic, but maybe I was wrong about that.[/QUOTE]

fairly sure it was a joke. But where does grass take a month to grow? Around here grass needs to be cut weekly

I'm not sure if 16 year olds can do it but 'donating' plasma is an easy way to make a little quick money. Two visits a week at about an hour and a half each and you'd probably get a little over $50. Of course you can't be afraid of needles or hobo shankings.

Otherwise when I was too young to work I mowed maybe 7-8 lawns a week for $15 each. Just go around passing out fliers in your neighbor hood. I probably gave out around one hundred of them and got plenty of bites.

And to the people who think it's as simple as looking trust me it's not as easy as it usually is right now. When I went looking for a job at 16 (6 years ago) I applied to 20 places and got 2 jobs. Now I've applied to at least 50 places with 4 years of experience and I've only had 3 interviews. I have a second interview coming up (at Potbellies :)) and I'm still looking but I might just start donating plasma instead. Luckily I don't need money that badly right now. Of course you do have to look but you might end up applying to hundreds of places before you find someone who needs you.

Another thing the OP can do is go to a temp agency.

That's what I did when I was out of work and couldn't find anything. I HAD to have some money coming in so I ending up getting a job in a pillow manufacturing company while between jobs. It was tiring work and the pay was only $8.25 IIRC after the temp agency got their cut, but it was work and it was money. Some money is better than none. While working that job and selling games on CAG I was able to weather the storm until I got a job with good pay and benefits.

bread's done
Back