I want your rpg opinion!

riskzero

CAGiversary!
Hey all, I've been wanting to get into a new rpg but have had lots of trouble the last couple I have tried just didnt do it for me.. Fable 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of Symphonia and FF12.

I did some thinking and realised all the rpgs I truly enjoyed had transformations of some kind in them. Breath of Fire's.. you became a dragon - awesome, Xenogears/Xenosaga - the gears, epic.

With that in mind does anyone have any suggestions?

White Knight Chronicles looks right up my ally, but I need something to tide me over! Halp!

Interesting take, I'm not a big fan of rpgs at all, but I found myself wasting away the last two weekends on Fable TLC and Fable II and I realized I don't really care for jrpg/traditional turn based rpgs but love arpgs like ToS, Fable, Legend of Zelda, ect.. and was going to ask for recommendations along the lines of those games.

If you have a ps2 buy Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2, I actually really liked those. An interesting one for xbox that's cheap is Jade Empire, I think it goes for like 5 bucks.

Does it have to be regular ol' knights and dragons RPGs, or are you open to other settings? Fallout 3, for example, was crazy awesome.

The problem I seem to have with most newer rpg's is there isnt that one thing that is just crazy awesome it just gives your characters an overpowering feeling, for example;

Xenogears - Weltall morphs towards the end, you knew what was up, nothing was stopping it.

FF7 - You got the Ragnarok (cant remember if thats the name) sword and Omnislash, yep gg.

Breath of Fire 3&4 - You change into a dragon!!!! From there on in you knew it was time to throw some beatings.

Lunar Silver Star Story - Alex changes, that was a great moment and feeling.

It's that feeling of yea I just struggled threw this whole game then I got this skill/item whatever and you knew that all the time you just spent was 100% worth it. Then you proceeded to go back and kill everything that gave you problems throughout the game. Ah good ol days... I miss them!

Wow, now that I think about it, my fav RPGs all have some transformations (constant, as in not just one time):

Wild Arms 2 = Knight Blazer!
Final Fantasy VI = Terra-> Morph!
Digital Devil Saga 1/2 = Demonize!
Shadow Hearts 1/2 (not so much 3...but play Koudelka!) = Yuri-> Harmonix? hmm...Demonize!

Lots of good suggestions already made but here's a few from your criteria:

Fallout 3 - You're incredibly weak coming out of Vault 101 and by the time you're level 20-30 you're so powerful it's sick
FFIV on DS - Cecil's transformation
Lost Odyssey - Kain and the other immortals regaining their memories
Valkyria Chronicles - Welkin's progression into a confident leader
The Witcher on PC

Other than that I still feel the two best RPG's of the last 3 years are Mass Effect and Tales of Vesperia.

I was never a big RPG fan, but Fable II and Mass Effect are definitely 2 of my favorite games of this generation. I know ME isn't a typical RPG, but it got me in to the genre and I'm looking to explore it more. I played Fallout 3 for about 8 hours and I liked it, but I wasn't sold yet. I need to re-buy it and maybe even restart. Games like Kingdom Hearts are great as well.

I've been playing RPGs less and less, but I can tell you that if you enjoyed Breath of Fire III, you should check out Breath of Fire II. The Shamanism in that game was epic and basically allowed ALL of your characters to transform into something instead of just the main character. Also, I just like the cast of characters better. Also, in Final Fantasy VI, the main character Terra (or Tina, depending on which version you are playing) can transform in the middle of battle as well. Aside from that, it was the last great Final Fantasy in my opinion.

This generation is shaping up to be even worse than last generation was for RPGs. At least last gen had SMT3:Nocturne, Persona 3/4, Digital Devil Saga 1/2, etc. So far, the only RPG that looks to be worth its weight this gen is Valkyria Chronicles.

Well, unless you count portables, but Jesus H. Christ I hate playing RPGs on a portable system. Playing a portable at home just feels counter-productive, and playing an RPG in public makes it impossible to get ingrossed in a story while there are so many distrations around me. The only games I can play on handhelds are shooters, run-n-guns and other short-burst action games.

Since you didn't like Fable 2, you'll probably like Fallout 3. People seem to like one and hate the other. If you're looking for some more strategic, Valkyria Chronicles is definitely up there.

If you didn't like DQ8 or Tales of Symphonia, then Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia are not for you.

AiNoKame - I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this one!

dv8mad - Dude, I just youtubed that and yes that is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for!! Thank you! I just ordered a copy :)

I really like Fallout 3 but I dont see it as the type of RPG I'm looking for, more turn based. I looked at the Persona series and it seems they can transform kind-of into an alter ego or Persona.

I wish I still had the BoF series on psx!

As someone already mentioned Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 would be a good idea to check out as the main character can transform into different types of demons.

Also another game that you didn't mention is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter for PS2. Now that is a game that is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but you still can turn into a dragon in the game... though using it adds percentage to a gauge that can not be lowered and when it hits 100% you gameover, you can +game at any time though so you are kind of expected to have to replay the game a little bit to actually beat it.

Also you mentioned Lunar so I would suggest checking out the Grandia series (mainly 1 & 2). While 1 doesn't really have that much of what you said you really like, Grandia II has one character that you have for a lot of the game who is part God and can use some fairly insane attacks. Plus I mean Grandia and Lunar are made by the same company.

Thanks for all the reply's! I looked into Shadow Hearts some, looks like something I would like. Which of the three would you guys recommend 1&2? I cant seem to find anyplace for the 1st one but the 2nd one I found a couple places for ~30ish.

I'm fairly sure that the general consensus is that Shadow Hearts 2 is the best, and then I've heard mixed opinions on whether 1 or 3 is better. I haven't played 3, only 1 and 2 but I think they are both awesome.

What about the Persona series, namely 3 & 4? The main character doesn't transform but he can summon Personas in battle. If you summon Thor you have access to thunder based attacks. Most all the personas are based on mythological gods/creatures and there's around 200 in the game. Also given the modern setting you relate to the characters more.

Persona also has a great strategy element where you exploit your enemies weakness. Once you learn a enemies weakness it become a breeze and you can plow through fights without ever getting touched. That always made me feel like a badass.

IMO these are the best JRPGs in recent years.

[quote name='Rodimus']What about the Persona series, namely 3 & 4? The main character doesn't transform but he can summon Personas in battle. If you summon Thor you have access to thunder based attacks. Most all the personas are based on mythological gods/creatures and there's around 200 in the game. Also given the modern setting you relate to the characters more.

Persona also has a great strategy element where you exploit your enemies weakness. Once you learn a enemies weakness it become a breeze and you can plow through fights without ever getting touched. That always made me feel like a badass.

IMO these are the best JRPGs in recent years.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm going to give P3 TES a shot its only $20 off Amazon, I watched a couple of clips it looked interesting. Thanks for the advice, i really like that its got mythology in it.

bread's done
Back