I won an Xbox 360. What should I do with it?

siderealshift

CAGiversary!
In early January, I started playing the Tropicana Twister Xbox Experience Instant Win Game. As I'm sure many of you know, you could play once per day for free. So I played once per day for free.

I saw no success until February, when I was informed that I had won a first-prize "Xbox 360 VIP console package". Being the "I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it" kind of fellow that I am, I pretty much just shrugged and thought we'll see about that.

Well, a few weeks later, I received the prize claim documents, and sent them back, expecting to hear nothing for months. To my surprise, almost exactly a week later, I received a 20-something pound box at my home. I cracked that bad boy open and found the following:

xbox1edit.jpg

Pretty neat. But here's the thing: I already own an Elite (and Falcon-generation, at that).

So my question to you, level-headed CAG, is: What should I do with it?

I see my options as these:

(1) Keep it! The failure rate of the 360 is obscene, and it might be nice to have a backup.
(2) Gift it! My sisters play my 360 from time to time (in fact, I leave it and my Wii at my parents' house because I never have time to play them, anyway), and I'm sure they wouldn't mind having one of their own.
(3) Sell it! I don't have a PS3 yet, and I already know that I'm probably going to get one when the MGS4 bundle comes out, so this could partially finance that purchase.

Interestingly, it's actually an old version of the hardware (circa July 2006) that doesn't have HDMI output. I thought that was kind of lame, being the fan of HDMI that I am, but it makes sense, since the contest managing company probably amassed the prize 360s well before the contest even started. Regardless, I'm leaning away from options (1) and (2) due to this fact.

As far as option (3) goes, though, selling something worth more than ~$200 can become an utter pain in the ass. I'm not a big eBay user, so I probably wouldn't go that route. I'd prefer to just cut the price by $50-$100 or throw in the extra wireless controller and Forza 2 or something and just sell it to a friend or someone from school, but then I'd have to find someone who is looking to buy a 360 and doesn't mind lacking HDMI output (and possibly a warranty -- I'm not sure how that works, so if someone could enlighten me as to Microsoft's policy, I would appreciate it).

So, that's pretty much it. Frankly, I was just happy to receive a free wireless adapter, as I've been meaning to get one, but they're outrageously expensive.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys would do in this situation. (Also, please don't post things like "GIV IT 2 ME PLZ I DUN HAVVA 360" as I'm not really in a position to be that philanthropic. Sorry.)

[quote name='richierich']Sell it and get a PS3[/quote]
Seconded. You shoud have a warranty for your current 360 anyway if you don't.

Yeah congrats on win. Aww shucks I was going to ask if you could sell me the wireless adapter =P lucky I entered once I usualy don't win contests.

You could give me the controller and wifi adapter. that would be a good idea, or i guess you could sell it, i guess...

Well, I am thinking way outside the box you've got right now (just in a mood, sorry) ... but... one thing I've always though I might do if I wound up with some extra duplicated hardware or software is to set something up with Cheapy to give it away here... maybe you can run a contest here to give some of that away. Who knows.

Otherwise, eBay that bad boy... ain't a big deal, just make sure you ship promptly upon receiving payment, and make sure to spell out in detail what you will accept as payment.

[quote name='kelso']give it to a charity[/quote]
Hi, I'm Charity. I heard you might be donating a box to me ;)

Seriously though OP, sell what you don;t want on Craigslist or something. I sold my Refurb 360 with crackdown for $250 just last month in NY so I'm sure you could fetch at LEAST that if you tried. My guess would be $325-$350 range you could get

I'd definitely sell the console and any of the accessories/games you don't want. It will help cover some of the cost of the PS3 you plan on getting.

Selling it looks like the your best option here. Is a backup 360 worth giving up a PS3? Not really. Giving your sisters the 360 seems like a nice choice too. But you gotta admit the MGS4 Steel PS3 looks pretty sweet.

OOooo Ooo! Get abunch of autographs and drawings on it from people and leave it in a warm, dry area! What's the worst that can happen?!

Is it too late to add a poll to the topic?

I would sell it, but since its 20 pounds and not exactly a super hot commodity, I would go with your local craigslist.

Set up a junk email account first, delete any offers that include the words "Nigeria", or "wire transfer" And be patient. Meet in a public place, after emailing a couple of times and talking to them on the phone.

(4) Give it! To CAG Nealocus because he is jealous and wants to sell it to buy a new laptop.

No?

I say gift it to your siblings, they'll more than appreciate the offer and you'll get a nice big hunk of good Karma.

Give it away on this website called Cheapassgamer in the form of a sweepstakes since you wouldn't of won it unless someone posted a thread about that contest.

yup sell it for the PS3, i would wait for the metal gear 4 80gb bundle
keep the wireless adapter

man the VIP package looks nice, they really hooked you up

[quote name='HighlightShow']I'm gonna go with the PS3 option as well.[/quote]

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Yeah, get a PS3 when the Metal Gear Bundle comes out. Congratulations on the win!

[quote name='tgk2044']Pick 3, and keep that wireless adapter, its a nice addition, especially for free.[/quote]

[quote name='captainfrizo']I'd definitely sell the console and any of the accessories/games you don't want. It will help cover some of the cost of the PS3 you plan on getting.[/quote]

[quote name='Littlefields']Selling it looks like the your best option here. Is a backup 360 worth giving up a PS3? Not really. Giving your sisters the 360 seems like a nice choice too. But you gotta admit the MGS4 Steel PS3 looks pretty sweet.[/quote]

[quote name='HighlightShow']I'm gonna go with the PS3 option as well.[/quote]

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Yeah, get a PS3 when the Metal Gear Bundle comes out. Congratulations on the win!

[quote name='tgk2044']Pick 3, and keep that wireless adapter, its a nice addition, especially for free.[/quote]

[quote name='captainfrizo']I'd definitely sell the console and any of the accessories/games you don't want. It will help cover some of the cost of the PS3 you plan on getting.[/quote]

[quote name='Littlefields']Selling it looks like the your best option here. Is a backup 360 worth giving up a PS3? Not really. Giving your sisters the 360 seems like a nice choice too. But you gotta admit the MGS4 Steel PS3 looks pretty sweet.[/quote]

[quote name='rodeojones903']Sell it and buy a PS3.[/quote]

[quote name='JimmieMac']Return the small parts of it to Wal mart and then sell the big money shit on ebay to defray that PS3 cost.[/quote]

[quote name='greyzieoriental']yup sell it for the PS3, i would wait for the metal gear 4 80gb bundle
keep the wireless adapter

man the VIP package looks nice, they really hooked you up[/quote]

^^^ Correct answers.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Give it away on this website called Cheapassgamer in the form of a sweepstakes since you wouldn't of won it unless someone posted a thread about that contest.[/quote]

which was me! :cool:

sell the damn thing OP.

If you give it to your sisters and want to make some money, sell the camera and wireless mic, to me. Please. ;) I think it is awesome of you to just give that away to your siblings. Even for thinking of that, you are the awesome.

Wow, lucky you! I wish I won that, but I only got one Forza bundle from the Tropicana contest. I say you should sell it if you can find someone, or the better deal would be to eBay it. Just don't sell it to GameStop. :roll:

As I congratulate you on winning your Xbox360, I think this thread is more of a "bragging" thread. To be honest, you obviously know what to do with the 360. The choices you've already stated are obvious. You are asking us what to do with it.

Even though you aren't necessarily bragging that "OMG I WON A 360!!!", you do "sort" of hint at it. You don't need our opinion on what you want to do with it. The obvious choice is to do something nice to it. I kind of agree with thorbahn, that you probably wouldn't have seen this contest if it wasn't for CAG. When you participate in CAG, you don't just take. You give and recieve. It's kind of like torrenting sites. If you take and take and take, bad things happen. Greedy bastards get kicked. In my own opinion, this thread isn't needed at all. Although I congratulate you on winning the 360, this thread is absurd. You already stated the choices. Don't make us do the fucking choice for you. Deep down, you obviously know the choice to make. Once again, Congratulations.

Oh my crap! siderealshift, you cannot fathom how much I hate you right now... I think you should do option 4) Lick it!

Sell that puppy and keep the smaller pieces (memory card, controller, etc.) for either yourself or to give away during a CAG promotion. It's only fair. Congrats!

Sell it on Craigslist, that way you don't have to deal with eBay and it'll be easy to find someone if you discount it somewhat.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Sell it and buy a PS3.[/quote]

Or one of those little rubber wedges. That'll keep it open too.

bread's done
Back