Ice Silver PSP Slim Daxter Bundle $169.99 Target B&M or PM-Available NOW!

Nephilim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
Edit 5: Courtesy of Birakon, here is a screen grab.
Screen Grab

Edit 4: Thanks to jnirvana292, here is a Yahoo cache version.

Edit 3: Target.com has changed the price, and my Google Cache page is gone.
If someone has a screenshot, post it and I will ad it.

Edit 2: Target has removed the item or changed the price. You can now use the Google Cached version for your printout and price match.

Edit 1:

Some Target, Walmart and Best Buy stores are reported to have these in stock and available for sale right now. There is a Sony Press Release stating that.

CAG's are also reporting that Target, Walmart and Best Buy stores have been price matching the webpage printout from the Target.com site.

Also, here is the google cached version in case Target.com changes the price.

End Edit:

Target.com has this bundle listed for $169.99 In Store Only not available online.

PSP Slim Daxter bundle

So I guess you could print this out if they raise the price in store and see if they or another retailer would match it. Strange that they would discount this new bundle by $30.

This bundle is being released on Sept 10th and should be in stores after that.
It includes:
• Gaming System includes 1Gb Memory Stick, AC Adapter, PlayStation Portable System, Power Cord, Battery Pack
• Games included are Game: Daxter™ Video:Family Guy™ The Freakin 'Sweet Collection
• Features Slim, Lightweight Design

new_psp_daxter.jpg

[quote name='codeninja']Save your ethics lecture for yourself; I'm sure you didn't do anything unethic in your entire life. If you want to open the can of worm called "corporate ethics", we can go on and on about it for years. You wanna find out what's in your foods for a starter?[/quote]

Haha, fair enough. I just wanted to bring the idea up for those unaware.

[quote name='briandadude']I am a cheapo.

However, it is sad to see you guys sacrifice your ethics for what...$16 (including tax). Prices are dynamic and change with the wind. This is like taking a price tag from an item, slapping it on another, and taking it to the register.

Do what you will.[/quote]

If you want to count tax it's still right around a $30-32 difference.

I got my new PSP Slim late last week and have had about a dozen "shut downs" on my PSP. It's happened with SOCOM and when using the Web Browswer. It simply shuts down after it appears to be locked up for a few seconds.

Is there something I can try to do? Some kind of reset of the settings, are others having these problems with the slim? Or should I simply exchange it?

Thanks!

[quote name='Kash76']I got my new PSP Slim late last week and have had about a dozen "shut downs" on my PSP. It's happened with SOCOM and when using the Web Browswer. It simply shuts down after it appears to be locked up for a few seconds.

Is there something I can try to do? Some kind of reset of the settings, are others having these problems with the slim? Or should I simply exchange it?

Thanks![/quote]

Happens to me too... hmm.. If we didn't buy the warranty, can we get it exchanged?

[quote name='EwaAzn']Happens to me too... hmm.. If we didn't buy the warranty, can we get it exchanged?[/quote]

Is it happening a lot?

I just reset my default settings, set everything up and launched the browser and it happened again!

[quote name='Kash76']Is it happening a lot?

I just reset my default settings, set everything up and launched the browser and it happened again![/quote]

About twice... Both when trying to use Internet Browser..

[quote name='imascrub']If you want to count tax it's still right around a $30-32 difference.[/quote]

My bad, I was assuming that you would order from Amazon to avoid the tax.

[quote name='takotchi']Bologna. It's not unavoidable. I have plenty of things with perfect LCD screens.
[/quote]

Thats because you just happened to purchase units that didn't have any dead pixels. It is an unavoidable flaw, it just doesn't occur in every manufactured LCD screen. Fortunately, the minority of LCD screens manufactured for portable products like these have dead pixels. Both the PSP and DS have had, and will continue to have a small subset of units shipped with dead pixels. Like I said, most don't have them, so chances are, you won't get one with them which is why you have plenty of things with perfect LCD screens.

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']I used a printout that wasn't a cached version -- it's the one I printed when the Target.com price was live at $169.

That being said, if a multi-billion dollar corporation hires help that is too lazy to actually follow the correct corporate procedure (checking the competitor's price) -- they deserve whatever financial losses they have to take.

And your analogy is flawed too.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but this is the stupidest argument I've ever heard. If you're going to commit fraud, at least be honest about it. Don't try to rationalize it as the company's fault in any way, shape, or form. You will always be able to fraud a company if you try hard enough. Don't put off your crime onto them.

I don't even really care that you did it, it's just the transparent bargaining that's ridiculous.

Supposedly, PSP-2000 is already hacked and a CFW will be out soon. I'm sure this will make a lot of people (at least me) happy. I actually buy my games (thank you CAG), so it's just a matter of convenience to load them from the memory stick.

[quote name='opportunity777']Supposedly, PSP-2000 is already hacked and a CFW will be out soon. I'm sure this will make a lot of people (at least me) happy. I actually buy my games (thank you CAG), so it's just a matter of convenience to load them from the memory stick.[/QUOTE]

I still don't understand why movie and music piracy is completely ok to talk about here, but game piracy isn't. You're still breaking the law.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I still don't understand why movie and music piracy is completely ok to talk about here, but game piracy isn't. You're still breaking the law.[/QUOTE]

I'm not concerned with the ethics, etc. of talking about these things.

I'm just reporting in case people don't check, and they are on the fence on whether to buy a PSP-2000 to replace their hacked PSP-1000.

Writing about piracy and providing links to pirated software are different.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I still don't understand why movie and music piracy is completely ok to talk about here, but game piracy isn't. You're still breaking the law.[/quote]

You can put music and movies on your PSP legally. At least ethically legally.

This is off-topic but it's been bugging me, maybe someone here has an answer. Why is pirating any worse than buying a game used?

Either way the developer isn't seeing a dime of that money. If the same copy of a game gets run through EB 4 or 5 times the developer still only gets 1 sale. With piracy you're just stealing a game but with buying used games you're legally in the clear but the developer sees none of your money and you're fueling a machine that keeps sustaining itself by taking money from the developer. Obviously it's better to buy new but why (ethically) is it more ok to buy a used game rather than to download the same title?

[quote name='briandadude']My bad, I was assuming that you would order from Amazon to avoid the tax.[/quote]

oh gotcha

[quote name='Kash76']I got my new PSP Slim late last week and have had about a dozen "shut downs" on my PSP. It's happened with SOCOM and when using the Web Browswer. It simply shuts down after it appears to be locked up for a few seconds.

Thanks![/quote]

hmm mine seems to be ok. Used the internet browser a couple times and been playing some MHF2 and Daxter, as well as watching a couple episodes of Family Guy and it hasn't shut down on its own (yet?)

kind of out of subject, but i've posted a link to the new circuitcity $40 off coupon in the original thread, can help to get the psp for about the same price

[quote name='jagwire1141']You can put music and movies on your PSP legally. At least ethically legally.

This is off-topic but it's been bugging me, maybe someone here has an answer. Why is pirating any worse than buying a game used?

Either way the developer isn't seeing a dime of that money. If the same copy of a game gets run through EB 4 or 5 times the developer still only gets 1 sale. With piracy you're just stealing a game but with buying used games you're legally in the clear but the developer sees none of your money and you're fueling a machine that keeps sustaining itself by taking money from the developer. Obviously it's better to buy new but why (ethically) is it more ok to buy a used game rather than to download the same title?[/QUOTE]

A used game has to get bought at least once to become a used game (even if shoplifted from a retailer and then sold to EB, the publisher got paid for it, since it is retailer who takes it in teeth for the loss). Also a given used game game can only be used by one person at time. A pirated game doesn't feed back dime one back to the developers...a downloaded pirated game can also be used by unlimited number of people at the same time...The used game market isn't taking money from the developer because they got paid for it when it was sold for the first time.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I still don't understand why movie and music piracy is completely ok to talk about here, but game piracy isn't. You're still breaking the law.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Music or Movie piracy isnt being discussed here. Hacking your PSP to run homebrew is the topic at hand.

I can resonable pack my PSP full of songs and movies ripped from discs I own. It is however, most unlikely, that I have the materials on hand to rip ROMs for various emulators.

Got my local Wal-Mart to price match... This makes the first Sony product I've owned.

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy so much as I was financially limited during the last two generations and the N64 and Gamecube were plenty fun enough.

Got the Daxter pack and picked up a copy of Twisted Metal Head On for $190ish after tax was included.

[quote name='foltzie']Got my local Wal-Mart to price match... This makes the first Sony product I've owned.

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy so much as I was financially limited during the last two generations and the N64 and Gamecube were plenty fun enough.

Got the Daxter pack and picked up a copy of Twisted Metal Head On for $190ish after tax was included.[/QUOTE]

TRU has a lot of good prices on clearance PSP games right now. So does CC. You should check those out before you buy at full price.

[quote name='opportunity777']TRU has a lot of good prices on clearance PSP games right now. So does CC. You should check those out before you buy at full price.[/QUOTE]

Twisted Metal Head On was $10 so I dont think I did too bad. But thanks for the heads up. I'll try these two out for a few days before buying anything else...

I'll admit I'm only really interested up front for Castlevania Dracula X. But I'm willing to be open minded and give it a shot.

[quote name='foltzie']Actually, Music or Movie piracy isnt being discussed here. Hacking your PSP to run homebrew is the topic at hand.

I can resonable pack my PSP full of songs and movies ripped from discs I own. It is however, most unlikely, that I have the materials on hand to rip ROMs for various emulators.[/QUOTE]

I know this. I actually shouldn't have brought it up in the first place, IDK why I did.

I've just observed during my time here at CAG that people seem to talk about "Oh I downloaded X album or X move" and no one bats an eye. But someone says "Oh I just downloaded x game" People go shit-bat crazy. Look at that whole thing about GQD. People went ape-shit over it because they sold mods.

But let's get it back on topic.

Is the UMD tray as crappy as people say?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']
But let's get it back on topic.

Is the UMD tray as crappy as people say?[/QUOTE]

I would need an engineer to deterimine if the design is sound, but it really is just a bar you set the UMD on and the lid guides it into place. It doesnt look like it will work, but I havent had any snags...

Its odd, but I suppose not that different from a modern portable CD player...

[quote name='K_G']A used game has to get bought at least once to become a used game (even if shoplifted from a retailer and then sold to EB, the publisher got paid for it, since it is retailer who takes it in teeth for the loss). Also a given used game game can only be used by one person at time. A pirated game doesn't feed back dime one back to the developers...a downloaded pirated game can also be used by unlimited number of people at the same time...The used game market isn't taking money from the developer because they got paid for it when it was sold for the first time.[/quote]

That makes sense. I guess I was only thinking in small terms.

And back on topic......
I just picked up my silver and it's great! No dead pix or dust. Compared to my old fatty this new one is slick. MUCH lighter and definitely feels more solid. BTW the silver looks great. Doesn't look anything like the "boat paint" pics I've seen. Screen is much brighter than my fatty and the browser is much faster. I'm really happy with it.

I successfully price matched the Daxter bundle at Circuit City. Twice. At the same Circuit City. On two separate occasions. With a printout of the Yahoo cache page that says "THIS IS A CACHE. THE CURRENT PAGE MAY BE DIFFERENT." on the top. And both times I got the free one year membership to their Gamers Savings Club.

I know I'm not supposed to say anything good about Circuit City on this board, but the one thing I do like about Circuit City is how they'll go along with just about anything to make sure I'm a happy customer. (...Even if it involves them losing money.) Out of all the stores at which I shop -- and I pretty much hit 'em all -- they consistently give me the least shit.

That said, let me add: They've got nothin' on Speedy, and I support him 100%. He's the man, and he knows it (and if he doesn't, I'll gladly tell him so).

Also, I have a quick question: Has anyone noticed the analog stick on their PSP-2000 clicking a little when you push it in a certain direction and release it (on mine, it's the lower right; on my sister's, it's the upper left). This is my first PSP, and I don't know if this is a usual "issue" or not. (If this is too off-topic, I would greatly appreciate a PM. Thanks.)

[quote name='lunker']Any reports of the Piano Black one in the wild yet? I'm undecided which one to upgrade to.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it in my journies to find the component cables.

[quote name='Halo05']I haven't seen it in my journies to find the component cables.[/QUOTE]

Just order them from Amazon.

ALSO ... Those of you buying the Daxter Bundle to replace your fat old hacked PSP should take note. If you want to hack your Slim, you need your old PSP to do the initial installation. Given this new information, I probably won't sell my old PSP; at least for a while.

On topic of this thread, I could not get a PM of this bundle at my BB because they said that Target didn't have any stock, so they weren't going to honor the ad. It doesn't matter because I preordered Piano black from Amazon already, but I wanted to switch out my nephew's fat PSP with the Daxter Bundle.

I've never hacked my PSP, am I really missing out on much (besides emulation that I usually just play on my PC anyway?)

[quote name='ZForce']I've never hacked my PSP, am I really missing out on much (besides emulation that I usually just play on my PC anyway?)[/QUOTE]

Well, there are a few interesting things out there, but I don't use most of them. Custom themes and interesting homebrew like paint programs can be fun to use for a while. I've fiddled with some of these before, but I really don't care that much. Some cool homebrew games exist, but I rarely play or bother with those either.

I basically use it for the convenience of carrying games on the memory stick. Before the RAM was doubled on the PSP Slim, and the UMD drive was changed most of the games took too long to load for me.

I probably wasted at least three and a half minutes of every five minutes of "playing" time for The Con watching loading screens. I have no idea how much the loading time has improved because of the enhancements to the PSP Slim. I really don't care. All the improvements mean for me is faster loading times throughout from the memory stick :)

It's just too easy to switch games on the fly without carrying a bunch of UMDs around. I went on vacation for over a month this year going to various places, and the convenience of not lugging PSP UMDs with me was worth hacking the PSP.

If the PSP Slim protection was not broken, then mine would be sitting in its pretty little box until there was a way to put games on the stick. I honestly can't go back to playing off of the UMD. For me, it's like having broadband internet and trying to force myself to use dial up.

[quote name='opportunity777']Well, there are a few interesting things out there, but I don't use most of them. Custom themes and interesting homebrew like paint programs can be fun to use for a while. I've fiddled with some of these before, but I really don't care that much. Some cool homebrew games exist, but I rarely play or bother with those either.

I basically use it for the convenience of carrying games on the memory stick. Before the RAM was doubled on the PSP Slim, and the UMD drive was changed most of the games took too long to load for me.

I probably wasted at least three and a half minutes of every five minutes of "playing" time for The Con watching loading screens. I have no idea how much the loading time has improved because of the enhancements to the PSP Slim. I really don't care. All the improvements mean for me is faster loading times throughout from the memory stick :)

It's just too easy to switch games on the fly without carrying a bunch of UMDs around. I went on vacation for over a month this year going to various places, and the convenience of not lugging PSP UMDs with me was worth hacking the PSP.

If the PSP Slim protection was not broken, then mine would be sitting in its pretty little box until there was a way to put games on the stick. I honestly can't go back to playing off of the UMD. For me, it's like having broadband internet and trying to force myself to use dial up.[/QUOTE]

=/ Can we be honest and say that while people may say" I want to hack my PSP to play homebrew" they really mean to run emulators for old systems...?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']=/ Can we be honest and say that while people may say" I want to hack my PSP to play homebrew" they really mean to run emulators for old systems...?[/QUOTE]

... or play ripped games.

Picked up my component cable on Saturday at Frys. They had a billion of em (and the composite). Weird thing though, it outputs my PSP XMB at full resolution on my HDTV, but when I played MGS: Portable Ops, the game screen was matted on all 4 sides by black letterboxing. I'm not sure why it didn't output at full 480p and fill the HDTV screen... no option to change resolution on the game either... hmm..... Maybe other games work fine. I'm gonna check this out tonight. ANyone else got a similar story?

I picked up a daxter PSP bundle today and after trying it out, I'm feeling fairly meh about it. It is much lighter and has a more 'solid' feeling (i.e., it feels like more like a unified piece of equipment than the original PSP) but it also feels much more "plastic-y" overall and less substantial. While the original PSP was plenty fragile, it at least felt like it wouldn't shatter in a million pieces if you dropped it (I would crack but not shatter)....the new PSP feels like it would shatter if dropped....I have no idea if it is actually more fragile, or even possibly, less fragile than the PSP-1000...but it does feel more flimsy that the PSP-1000. And the build quality doesn't seem to be as good....Straight out of the box, my unit has a 1 mm gap between the top face and the middle frame in the lower left hand corner.
It has the feel of a product that you know won't be working in two years time.

No pixel problems with my screen...the speakers seem to output at the same levels as the old PSP but I think it sounds a bit clearer with the new speaker position on the PSP-2000.

D-pad buttons feel much more solid and responsive. Analog stick feels cheaper than on the old PSP...more of a plastic on plastic feel while the old PSP had more of a metal and plastic feel (even though it may have been plastic on plastic).

Overall, if I was waiting to buy a PSP, I'd wait a bit longer....In my mind, it is clear there is a price cut coming down the line in the next six months because this is clearly a cheaper unit to manufacture. It feels like a $100 product, not a $170 product. If I had a old style PSP already and was happy with it, I'd stick with it unless I was really unhappy about how heavy it is. In my opinion, the improvements in the new PSP are OK but not worth taking a loss selling an old PSP....by going for the new PSP over the old, you're not trading up...at best, you are trading even...possibly down due to the lower build quality.

That's too bad about the build quality. I should be getting mine today from Amazon, so I'll get a look for myself.

I wouldn't be too surprised, since my launch unit was made in Japan and the new ones are made to be cheaper, and made in China I assume.

My original model always felt like it was in a whole different league from the Nintendo DS/DS Lite. Just felt expensive and well crafted (not that the DS doesn't feel like it's built well, but...it's just a different caliber, like the iPod compared to a lot of other products, that kind of thing).

I love my new PSP and I think as long as I don't drop it or get rough with it, it will last a long time. The new UMD tray is fine, just treat it carefully and it won't break.

You can't expect electronics this small and this light to be made of indestructable materials. ;-)

Last night I was finally able to get the PSP Slim Daxter bundle for 169.99 at Bestbuy! The first PSP I got had a dead pixel and a spot on the inside of the screen cover. I got it exchanged no problem this afternoon. My second one appears to be all good. I really like how the new PSP feels in my hands compared to the old brick 1000. The PSP 2000 does feel a little cheep because of the plastic feel it has but I really like how its thinner and lighter.

I tried to PM at BB yesterday but was denied. The guy went and called Target, cause I wasn't sure if it was an in-store or online-only price. Whoever he spoke to at Target was kinda confused. He told me if I wanted to drive over to Target and ask them if it was indeed an in-store price, that BB would PM it. What would be the point of that? I'll try again at a different BB or at CC later this week.

Went to Wal-Mart to price match and they actually called Target to verify. Ouch.

Went to a different Wal-Mart and they did it no questions asked. The employee said he might get one too for that price.

[quote name='MajorGamerGeek']Scott just take the print out with you to Bestbuy. The print out has Store Only under the price.[/quote]

I had the print out with me, and I completely missed that it said Stores Only. I guess I was thrown off by it saying free shipping above the item name. D'oh! I will try again.

I was able to PM it at best buy. They asked some questions about the print out like when was it printed but other than that it went smoothly. I also installed the custom firmware on the psp. :D

Really I think this thread and the cache versions of the page should be removed. This site should be about finding deals, not trying to pull a fast one on stores on a deal that is no longer valid.

i wish i could jump. but i already have a PSP phat, and with the tv cables being delayed/hard to get b&m, i may as well hold out until prices drop on the slim a little further.

not 100% homebrew compatible yet, but still enjoy CFW on the slim. i know i would.

bread's done
Back