If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a huge Sakaguchi and Uematsu fan, I almost bought a Wii for this game. (Long running history of buying consoled for Final Fantasy games.) Luckily I couldn't buy one at the time, and after a lot of reviews was very happy I couldn't. So I decided to try and emulate the game using the Dolphin Wii emu...if the frame rates and load times were as terrible on the console as it was on the emulator, I feel bad for whomever paid full MSRP.

The music was astounding though.

Started playing 3ds DQ7. It feels weird. Could be because it's in Japanese, but it feels like there are so many DQ elements that aren't there. Like, you can see your party when you fight. Or no more random encounters. Or that the map is segmented DQ9 style.

There are also some changes, for example, the Temple of Time or whatever it was called, it's not 2 hours worth of puzzles anymore so you actually can start fighting 30 minutes in the game instead of 3 hours in it.

Been thinking that we should start a new RPG Thread on January 1st. Anyone have a good title idea?

I've played a lot of FF this year. I feel a little nauseous.
I played a lot of Ys this year, and now I'm sad that I have no more Ys left in my backlog.

2014 will be a heavy-duty MegaTen year for me, provided I can find the time.

For some reason I waited until November to start playing my RPGs. I'm hoping to complete Ni No Kuni before Jan 1st. Other than that I did some retro gaming with Chrono Trigger, FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, and almost done with FFVIII on the PsVita. I have at least 6 RPGs I haven't even touched yet. I think I'd get way too burned out if I tried to beat them all before Lightening Returns, Tales of Symphonia: Chronicles, FFX-X2: HD, and The Witch and the Hundred Knight.

Might have to play another game soon before I start trying to take someone's enthusiasm away to give it to a depressed kid I walked by three towns over... :whee:

You should make an HD version of this thread since the greatest game(s) ever are getting an HD remake next year.

Tales of Graces f is growing on me, at least the combat. The characters are pretty lame so far. The only ones that really stand out to me are Malik and Pascal (

The Tales games were always ones that I loved, liked or tolerated. I never hated any of them, but some I found myself thinking, "Meh," and just grinding to get through them and/or get the achievement point or trophy. I did like Tales of Vesperia, though hated NA didn't get the PS3 release.

Oh right, stuff I've been playing. I hadn't been playing anything really interesting lately RPG-wise (though I did finally beat
the real Death Glutton in Postgame #1
in ClaDun x2). I did mess around in the Item World in Disgaea DS on my cross-country flight yesterday (hadn't touched that game in awhile), and hopefully I'll be able to beat Pokemon Black 2 before the new year.

Last edited by a moderator:
only casuals dodge roll I'm sure he'll break out his greatshield of artorias and block like everything and take no dmg like all pros do

I mean he kinda glitched kill ceasless discharge but I'm sure when he fights a boss he'll use a shield

Last edited by a moderator:
have any of you guys played eternal sonata? is it similar to the tales series in terms of gameplay mechanics?
My best friend played this game, and what I've read, watched and he told me, its like the Tales games, but you need to really get the hang of the fighting down or fights will be harder than they should be. Whacked out and sometimes slow JRPG, but my friend did play this all the way through twice.

Is RPG Maker worth $17.49?
If you want to put the time in to build a game, I say yes. There are a lot of customization you can do to the game and add so much, but you might be able to find an alternate way of getting the game.

I started playing Eternal Sonata a couple years back, and liked it, but for whatever reason I put it down for a few weeks and when I tried to come back, I couldn't remember how to play it at all. The battle system is pretty complex. Now if I ever go back to it again I'll probably just start all over on PS3.

The PS3 version makes the most sense so if anyone is planning on playing Eternal Sonata and can play the PS3 version, do so then. It has extra scenes. 

So who is ready for FF X-3?

The PS3 version makes the most sense so if anyone is planning on playing Eternal Sonata and can play the PS3 version, do so then. It has extra scenes.

I think it'll be the first game since Lost Odyssey that I've been anticipating. I very much enjoyed L.O., so it's a high anticipation.

i heard that they changed the combat system to more action rpg, is that true?

Not sure but the story, especially the ending, actually made sense in the PS3 version though I suppose it did in the 360 version as well. 

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is just going on and on. Put over 30 hours in so far. Should finish off the August missions tonight (if I'm lucky)

All the nude mods.

I'm nearly done with Tales of Graces f. I'm heading towards the final set of conflicts now. I may do some grinding to finish five-starring these titles. 

slamsjams1.jpg

New thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/325470-rpg-thread-xix-is-getting-a-rhythm-game-spinoff/

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back