IGN Elebits preview (new videos, level editor info, etc.)

[quote name='psunami']I'm pretty sure that I'm going to trade in my unopened copy of Monkey Ball for this. I've not heard enough good about Monkey Ball to keep that one at this point. Elebits just looks like more fun, and the multiplayer looks to be very hectic and entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Good move there. I rented SMB and was glad I did instead of buying (and with a free rental coupon to boot ;)). Of course I haven't played Elebits but I'm 95% sure it will be a much better game than SMB.

Got the call that my preorder will be in tomorrow. Just gotta figure out if I want it as yet. Starting a backlog one month after console launch is not necessarily a good trend.

[quote name='botticus']Got the call that my preorder will be in tomorrow. Just gotta figure out if I want it as yet. Starting a backlog one month after console launch is not necessarily a good trend.[/quote]

LOL...That's sig material right there.

I just got a call saying it'll be in tomorrow.

....but I don't remember pre-ordering it.

[quote name='Apossum']I just got a call saying it'll be in tomorrow.

....but I don't remember pre-ordering it.[/quote]
You must have preordered it while sleepwalking.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/824/824989/vids_1.html

Video review is up. I'm about to watch.

Who knows when I'll get the game...can't get in touch with the guy who has my Cube. :(

EDIT: After watching the review, I think these graphics look better than what we've been told - not as photorealistic as one might hope but pretty damn good (like the garage, for instance). Based on the videos and what we know of the game, this could end up being my favorite Wii game thus far...possibly favorite game of '06.

[quote name='botticus']Got the call that my preorder will be in tomorrow. Just gotta figure out if I want it as yet. Starting a backlog one month after console launch is not necessarily a good trend.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and of course I have NOT gotten a call that it is in. That's happened on my last 2 or 3 EB preorders, but they always have them anyway. I just have to call to be SURE that my store actually gets it before I drove over there.

And I'm definitely getting it - I expect to play it for many hours with the kids Weds evening. So no backlog for me (well, Zelda will probably get pushed there for a few days, but that's OK, it draws out the experience of that, which is good).

Just watched the video review and it looks so much fun that I want to go out and get it ASAP, BUT it's on my Christmas list so I don't want to ruin that. ;)

Also, I've still got Red Steel to finish up.

I just watched the video as well. That looks like a lot of fun.

Seriously though, how hard is it to get good voice acting for game scripts. Just hire Billy West to do all the voices and you're done.

[quote name='psunami']I just watched the video as well. That looks like a lot of fun.

Seriously though, how hard is it to get good voice acting for game scripts. Just hire Billy West to do all the voices and you're done.[/QUOTE]

Dominic Armato could use some work.

Props to the first person who can tell me what game voice he is best known for.

[quote name='rickonker']I read an interview with EA's CEO where he sounds pissed off about Nintendo being competition.[/QUOTE]

Can you post a link to the interview? That would make a good seperate topic.

Well I finally got the means to head out and go grab the game...but according to EB's site, it's already sold out at every location (I want to use trade-ins so other stores are a bust).

Oh well! There's always next week. I'll trade in for the value today anyway.

[quote name='psunami']Thank you Google.

Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island.

Wouldn't have known it without searching though.[/QUOTE]

I met him at E3 a couple times and chatted with him online. Really nice guy.

I miss Monkey Island. :cry:

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']Well I finally got the means to head out and go grab the game...but according to EB's site, it's already sold out at every location (I want to use trade-ins so other stores are a bust).

Oh well! There's always next week. I'll trade in for the value today anyway.[/QUOTE]

I would call. The website is often inaccurate. I think when they updated it in the middle of the night it may not have arrived in stores yet, but by now it probably has. I'll probably pick it up in a day or two if the reviews are good enough. Looks promising.

Well, I never got a call from my EB about my preorder (which they've had for several weeks now). But I called them and they do have it set aside for me. I'll be picking it up in about an hour - then I have to hold off playing until this evening so I can get at least a *little* work done ;).

I preordered elebits a few weeks ago and i'm wondering is the preorder bonus attached to the game or is it separate from the game?

I called my GS and he said he has the game, but he doesn't know about the preorder bonus. I'm kinda worried I won't get it.

Yaaaaaaaay. I went to an EB, ignoring the online status, and they apparently only got THREE copies of the game total. One had been pre-ordered, one the manager took home for the morning to borrow (WTF??), and one they had just opened up as I got in to put in the Wii demo unit. So I got that one. Traded in my Cube plus a few of the games (only kept Mario Sunshine from my collection), still have $15 or so left on my Edge card so that's good.

So I'm glad I got it.

[quote name='Tybee']I asked Cheapy in the CAGcast thread about progressive scan and 16:9. His response:

So it sounds like it is widescreen, and I'm willing to bet it is also 480p. That's good news.

Lego Star Wars II for the GCN is widescreen but has those same thin black bars that just prevent the image from reaching the sides of the screen. I wonder why that is? Maybe they're compensating for overscan or something.[/quote]

Just to respond to what CheapyD said, I see no small black bars on this version.

Just my screen or what? It fills up the entire widescreen like every other game does.

OK I'm in the tutorial right now, and I had to pause to post this: the controls in this game make me feel worse about Red Steel, LOL. It's so smooth, so fluid, so glitchless, it moves EXACTLY LIKE YOU THINK a Wii FPS should. It feels like we all expected FPS gaming on Wii to feel when the console was first shown. Granted, it might be harder to get the exact aiming like you have in Red Steel, but it's like night and day as far as polish in the controls go.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']so what Plush toy did you guys get, the Red or the Blue? I'm hoping to get the red one when I stop by eb in about 45min.[/QUOTE]

Blue here. I want the red one because he's just cuter, but obviously no one will want to trade the red one for a blue one because red is rarer, I imagine. Oh well.

I wish they made pink ones. Super adorable.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Does anyone know what the update that came with this game does?[/quote]Maybe a WiiConnect24 thing?

my hand hurts from this game. fun stuff though.

edit: damn, why'd I pay $50 for this...it's good but not $50 good. *shakes fist*

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I didn't notice an update, when would I have seen it Metal Boss?

I just went straight into tutorial/story mode and didn't notice anything.[/quote]

mine updated while i was in the wii menu, after i inserted the disc. have you recieved any of the updates from wiiconnect yet?

I'm going to see if I can grab another tomorrow or this weekend, if they had more than enough for preorders. My fiancee wants one badly.

Now more people need to tell me this is worth full price so I can decide if I should return it or not.

botticus.

Keep the game. If your goal in spending $50 in any game is to have a ball playing it, this is worth the cash.

It's FUN FUN FUN. I can only imagine what multiplayer will be like.

[quote name='jezebelseven']Blue here. I want the red one because he's just cuter, but obviously no one will want to trade the red one for a blue one because red is rarer, I imagine. Oh well.

I wish they made pink ones. Super adorable.[/QUOTE]

You know, that's what I heard, but that wasn't the experience at my store. Of course, I got screwed because I was the last one to pick the game up (hell, I went at 4pm - hard to believe everyone else was there first).

They apparently OPENED up all the plush at my EB. They got 9 total - 6 were red, 3 were blue. The manager is pretty cool with me, so THINKING THE BLUE ONE WAS RARE he saved that one for me #-o. Damn, oh well... I would have rather preferred they left them sealed and took my chances! Anyway, can't imagine the red one is as rare as Konami stated.

On to the game:

The game is kick ass - Botticus KEEP THE DAMN THING! We played about 3 hours, and I'd say it is my favorite Wii game. Yes, better than Zelda (if only in that it is *meant* for the Wii and Zelda is not, really).

The graphics look great on my 51" HDTV (screw the reviewers). In fact, it appears much less jaggy than Zelda. I was worried about Wii games in component/480p after Wii Sports and Zelda. But in Elebits they seem to have discovered the technique of anti-aliasing and I don't notice pixel crawl all over the screen like in the other games :lol:. It could just be the art style that is resulting in less obvious jaggies, but whatever, it looks nice.

As I suspected the interiors are very Chibi-Robo-like. And the gameplay (while using an entirely different control mechanic of course) is VERY much like Katamari. If you don't figure out the right "path" to take you end up messing around in areas that don't get you alot of Elebits and you run out of time. So there's definitely some challenge there - and particularly if you want to unlock the other modes. I'm not sure how, but I unlocked everything on the 1st level (Score Attack, Challenge mode, Edit mode, and Eternal mode). Then I could only get one or two of those on the next 4 levels (I know the 3 pink Elebits unlock Eternal mode). My son was able to (barely) clear 3 of the 5 first missions (I did the other two).

Another way it is Katamari-like is that you unlock areas (literally in this case as doors get unlocked) after you collect a certain amount of wattage - just as you open up areas (usually fenced off) by getting to a certain size in Katamari.

The music isn't as good as Katamari. And though I was prepared for awful voice-acting from the reviews, I actually didn't think it was that bad. The story itself is rather weak - just a bare bones thing to link the levels together. But it was similar in Katamari (though I give Katamari the nod because of the King of All Cosmos, can't beat that character).

The sharing mode seemed to be active at first. The good (EXCELLENT, actually) news is that after taking a snapshot and then going to the picture viewer I was able to select ANYONE OFF MY WII FRIENDS LIST to send it to. I think we all weren't sure it would go down that way - that we might need codes for each game like on the DS. It appears this is not the case, and this is excellent news. I tried to send my picture to Botticus and it said nothing at first. So I tried to send another and it said something like "sharing was not active yet". So, that's as expected.

Then I tried to make a level. Maybe I haven't unlocked enough yet, but I wasn't able to place any objects. All I could do was place Elebits in the kid's room - which was otherwise empty (the bulit-in closets and drawers were there though). I could open the closet and place them on the shelves. Since I couldn't place any furniture, I used all the points to place Elebits - mist have dropped a few hundred. Anyway, MUCHO slowdown ensued when I played the level ;). But it looks like this will be fun ONCE you get more things to place.

^ Great review. For what it's worth, I echo your impressions of the game - the graphics especially. Looks better than I expected on my HDTV, absolutely...and I also agree that I would take this game over Zelda.

I still don't understand exactly what you do in this game. Is it basically just going around and lifting stuff up to find these Elebits?

[quote name='rickonker']I still don't understand exactly what you do in this game. Is it basically just going around and lifting stuff up to find these Elebits?[/QUOTE]

OK, I left out the main means of progression. You start off every level with 0 Watts and your goal is some preset amount (like 3000 Watts). When you collect Elebits (merely by shooting them) your wattage goes up. You get different amounts for the same Elebits depending on the state they are in - sleeping, awake, running away (thus strategy element #1).

Once you hit certain levels of Wattage messages pop up telling you that certain appliances have power - such as a flashlight, a toaster, a lamp, a computer, a CD shredder ;), etc. Also, lights will come on in the room at a certain level. When the appliances go active, you need to find them and turn them on. When you do this, special Elebits pop out that don't give you wattage, but power up your gun so that you can lift heavier objects. This allows you to find more Elebits. Your gun will go through several levels of upgrades that allow you to lift more things.

The Elebits can be anywhere - out in the open, inside things, under things. You also get them by doing things like turning a sink faucet on, or putting frozen Elebit icecubes (from the fridge) into the oven.

Also, certain wattage levels unlock doors, which you can then open and go into the next room. The second strategy element is trying to get the power to turn things on and get your gun upgraded in the right order (especially in multi-room levels where you need to go back and forth a few times) so that you always have things to lift/move and Elebits to find. Otherwise you will run out of time.

There are also special items you can use: a cookie that attracts Elebits (and when you zap them you get the most favorable wattage from them), an EM pulse bomb that stuns them, a homing laser that lets you get a bunch at a time, and a few others. All of these things last for 30 seconds (it seems).

The goal of every level is to reach a certain wattage - then it is "cleared". However, you can continue to play for the rest of the time to get a better score or find the hidden pink Elebits (which unlock Eternal mode for that level). You get ranked A, B, C, (and presumably S) at the end. I've gotten one A and a bunch of C's ;).

Some levels introduce other limits than time. In one I had to break no more than 7 breakable objects (like pots, vases). In another I had to keep my noise level down, so I couldn't throw everything around to shake out all the Elebits.

And, note, all this is in the first 5 levels which is all I've played so far. I assume there will be more variety to come.

My other worry about this game prior to playing was the 3D control. In Super Monkey Ball I couldn't get any of the minigames that required depth perception of the Wiimote to work. This game requires it when you pick up objects and move them forward or backward in the room. I've had to do fairly precise things like put a CD in the CD shredder and put toast in a toaster (each of which resulted in a hail of Elebits). While these tasks are a bit tricky (you have to rotate them upright as well as moving them to the right place), it worked much better than the minigames of SMB, so I was relieved.

Basically, that's it (so far). I haven't played any of the other modes (Score attack, Challenge mode, Eternal mode). I poked around in the menus and it is also similar to Katamari in that you can look at the objects you've collected (presumbly just by interacting with them). You can rotate them and all that - just like Katamari. There appears to be some rare items that you can find. But there is also a multiplayer mode, and you can create levels and send them (in addition to snapshot pictures) to others once Nintendo activates that on WiiConnect24.

Oh, and apparently there are boss levels too but I haven't reached one of those yet. So that's some more variety. I'll be playing through more levels and trying the multiplayer Thursday evening.

Cheapy talked about this more on this week's CAGcast and gave it a much more enthusiastic thumbs up. He said the game was much deeper and more challenging (and more addictive) than he had at first realized (his impressions in last week's show were somewhat lukewarm). They talked about the game for longer than I think I've ever heard them talk about any game except maybe Oblivion. So that should tell you something.

io, I've played the same levels as you it seems (the first five), and I have achieved the same results pretty much (I think I have two As and three Cs). But this game makes it so I want to go back and try to get As in each stage, because once you get an A in a stage, not only can you edit it in the editor, but you also have access to the items from that stage apparently (I have not messed with the editor yet, but I only see the "You can use items from this stage in the editor" message after getting an A grade). Also, the last stage I completed and got an A on gave me the option to play the level in ultimited time mode which is cool, it makes it more fun to explore and hunt for every last secret and Elebit.

Also, I completely agree regarding how it handles depth. It works VERY well and becomes second nature pretty quickly. I am not too surprised considering Red Steel handles depth pretty well too, but yeah, Monkey Ball's horrible depth problems in some minigames had me worried about how some developers would pull it off.

I should be getting my Friday in the mail. Thanks for the initial impressions, io. I'm so, SO relieved the depth detection doesn't suck like in SMB, which makes it pretty clear it's a developer problem and not a controller flaw. Man, I really want to play this game now!

I'm really having fun on Elebits the little elebits are very cute I like the red one and the pink one.

It took awhile to get used to it and picking things and rotating them, but it was better after getting used to it i'm only did three levels and it still is fun.

The Gamestop I preordered it at didn't get any toys so he called another one and they had a couple of extras and all the preordered ones was picked up so I was able to get a elebit toy anyways and it was a orange one i'm happy I got that one.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']io, I've played the same levels as you it seems (the first five), and I have achieved the same results pretty much (I think I have two As and three Cs). But this game makes it so I want to go back and try to get As in each stage, because once you get an A in a stage, not only can you edit it in the editor, but you also have access to the items from that stage apparently (I have not messed with the editor yet, but I only see the "You can use items from this stage in the editor" message after getting an A grade). Also, the last stage I completed and got an A on gave me the option to play the level in ultimited time mode which is cool, it makes it more fun to explore and hunt for every last secret and Elebit.

Also, I completely agree regarding how it handles depth. It works VERY well and becomes second nature pretty quickly. I am not too surprised considering Red Steel handles depth pretty well too, but yeah, Monkey Ball's horrible depth problems in some minigames had me worried about how some developers would pull it off.[/QUOTE]

I've found out some more - you get different things unlocked in the editor for getting 'B' or better rankings.' The first few levels (which I got A's on) unlock the rooms themselves. It appears unlocking levels beyond 5 or so unlock sets of items that you can place in the rooms. So that's how it works for unlocking items for edit ('B' or better rankings).

You only get Eternal for getting the 3 pink Elebits, not for getting an 'A'. I'm not sure what unlocks "Challenge Mode" and "Score Attack".

And the first boss level is number 7 - it is pretty fun and a nice variation from the standard levels.

I looked at my EGM after playing last night. What the hell were those fuckers thinking? Two of them give it ratings in the 4's! I mean, I understand having some issues and rating it as low as 6, perhaps, if you just aren't into this kind of game (say, if you hated Katamari). But these guys specifically compare it to Katamari and say it is much worse. Bah, morons...

Reading this thread and seeing some reviews has quickly moved Elebits from 'looks alright' to the top of my Christmas list (gaming-wise at least).

Does anyone have impressions of the level editor? The ability to make levels/download others' levels (I know this isn't available yet) is a big selling point for me.

[quote name='rendil']Reading this thread and seeing some reviews has quickly moved Elebits from 'looks alright' to the top of my Christmas list (gaming-wise at least).

Does anyone have impressions of the level editor? The ability to make levels/download others' levels (I know this isn't available yet) is a big selling point for me.[/QUOTE]

Well, I said a bit about it in my long posts...

I had only unlocked 2 rooms and 3 types of Elebits and NO objects. So all I could do was place about 300 Elebits all over the room (and in the cabinets). It was very easy to do and placement works very well in 3D space. There are lots of save slots for different rooms. A nice feature is "Save a Copy" so you can take one design, tweak it, and save it in another slot.

There was a whole slew of rotation options, none of which did a damn thing for me as they probably work on objects (of which I had none).

Oh, you can place the Elebits in 3 positions - awake, asleep, and squashed flat. For whatever reason, I only had the red, green (like the plush - it is light blue but they call it green in the game) and the rounder blue ones. I assume the others will be unlocked later.

You can also set the time, the gravity gun power, the "Clear" condition, and any side conditions like the decibels and whatnot.

Looks pretty in-depth to me. Those stupid IGN reviews didn't even mention this part. Imagine if Katamari had a level editor.

Oh, one more bit from EGM (this time good news): the rumor section says there will be a Katamari for the Wii in 2007. Sweet, if true.

Did anyone see this?
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120022
[quote name='A Happy Panda']
Reviews

Wii

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess:
10/10/10 Also receives the Platinum Award and is EGM's Game of the Month

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam:
7.5/8.0/7.0

Madden NFL 07: (Kind of surprising)
6.5/6.0/4.5

Red Steel: (Same scores as Madden? C'mon EGM)
5.0/4.5/6.0

Wii Sports:
6.0/5.5/7.0

Excite Truck:
7.0/7.5/6.5

Elebits:
7.0/4.0/4.5

Trauma Center: Second Opinion:
6.5/7.5/7.0

Rayman Raving Rabbids:
7.0/7.5/7.5
[/QUOTE]Am I reading that right? If you go by numbers, Elebits is one of the worst games for the Wii.

I got this game today along with an orange plush Elebit, the one with the horns. Is he rarer than the red? The blue one is most common, right, followed by the red, and then how rare is the orange one?

Anyway, after playing the game for 2 hours I'm pleased with it. My first impression was, "Whoa, these controls are tight!" And they are very accurate. The only time I have trouble getting a response is when opening doors or when trying to slam the weapons against the wall/ceiling/floor to activate them, but I just have to get used to the timing. I also have a little trouble when I want to turn around quickly and I move my remote too far offscreen. Then I have to get readjusted.

But the main thing about this game is it's fun. And it's cool that there are so many modes and the game keeps track of your points and the mood of the Elebits when you capture them. This could last a while if I decide to get a perfect score or catch Elebits only when they're happy.

^ Yup. If you go buy those numbers, Tony Hawk is better than Madden (WTF?).

They're wrong. The game is close to, if not THE, best game on Wii out of the 6 + WiiSports I own.

As io said, even if they don't enjoy this type of game, I don't see how it would deserve scores that low. Technically, as far as gameplay goes, the game is smoother than any Wii game I've experienced - by far. The technical aspects (physics, depth interaction, etc) are SPOT ON. Graphics are not out of this world, but they get the job done. A low score for Elebits makes no sense.

bread's done
Back