IGN Elebits preview (new videos, level editor info, etc.)

[quote name='botticus']Finally rented this and started playing - half hour got me through the tutorial and first chapter. Fun but chaotic game.

io, thought you would be interested to know that the picture you sent me was waiting for me two weeks later, told me I had received an image as soon as I started up the game.[/QUOTE]

Really? It told me that service was unavailable or something when I did it. I think I did that on the first day :rofl:. I thought we heard this wouldn't be active for some time until Nintendo made the WiiConnect stuff available to third parties? This seems like big news that has gone unreported!

Well, has anyone made any cool custom levels - send 'em to me! I really want the one in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hszOo99xL7w

I returned an extra copy of Zelda I got for Christmas and picked this game up last night and it's better than I expected. I knew it was going to be good, but for some reason I was still a little weary of whether there would be enough depth to keep my interest. Granted, I've only played through the tutorial and the first three levels, but so far it's kept me entertained.

I didn't even realize that this game had any kind of level trading or online functionality, so that was a pleasant surprise as well. The not quite widescreen presentation, not so pleasant. For some reason 4:3 games don't bother me, but if a game is some strange geometry, it constantly makes me want to try and adjust some settings.

Finally got around to playing this game. So far, it's a blast. After Red Steel and Zelda, its nice to finally play a game without laggy aiming (besides Monkey Wars).

I picked this game up at Shopko today, and interestingly enough, they had they plush elebits right next to it. I asked a clerk if it came with the game (even though I know it should) and found out they're charging almost $12 for them. Lame.

Rented this one today. Very impressed. Might be an eventual purchase.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I can't remember, but I think it was like a glowing white ball. I couldn't see it very well because of my view angle of the shelf. Shooting it first brings up a message saying you found a hidden item or something. Then you shoot it again to actually take it, I think? Like I said, my grade on this stage right now is a C, so rank obviously isn't it. (btw, am I supposed to do this stage faster? Break less stuff??) I know I have the challenge mode unlocked for this one, as I've repeatedly failed it over and over again. Not sure if I got score attack or eternal... but yeah, my stage 3 stuff is pretty incomplete. Not sure what triggers it...[/QUOTE]

OK, I found the one in Level 3 finally. It was not at all what I was expecting. It is like a dark gray crystalline bottle (with stopper and all). When I first found it, it said I couldn't activate it yet. So I cleared the level and then went back to it and I could do nothing at all with it - smashed it all over the place and nothing happened. So I played it again and this time I didn't touch it until I cleared the level. Then I got the behavior you mentioned above - touch it once and then again to activate (and at that point I think it looked like a glowing white ball). But it seems to be a minor glitch in the game that if you touch it before clearing it doesn't let you activate it even after clearing.

But since these are so nondescript until activated they are going to be VERY hard to find in other levels.

On another note, I finally finished the game tonight. The last levels are so wide-open it gets pretty intense. Too bad the slowdown gets pretty horrific at times though, especially in level 28. Now I've still got tons to do in terms of unlocking things. And I still want some cool domino levels like in that video I linked. No one has sent me anything yet ;).

One of my favorite parts of the game are the Challenge Mode levels. These are a bitch to unlock in the first place as you need to find the 3 pink Elebits in a level before unlocking its challenge. The challenges are tricky time-limited puzzles that you need to solve within the level. As they tend to have minimal objects the slowdown issue is gone and the game is really repsonsive which is good as you need very fast and precise control to solve some of them. I've only unlocked 7 or 8 of them so far, and I've cleared all but 1 of those.

Anyone else have any trouble moving things along the z-axis (into/out of the screen?) It doesn't seem to work as well as I'd like it to...

[quote name='evilmax17']Anyone else have any trouble moving things along the z-axis (into/out of the screen?) It doesn't seem to work as well as I'd like it to...[/QUOTE]

It's a bit tricky, but it works a hell of a lot better than in the minigames in Super Monkey Ball. That game had me worried that the whole depth-senstivity of the Wiimotes was just not going to work well. But I've been able to do lots of depth-related things in Elebits - such as putting the CD's in the CD shredder, putting the basketball through the hoop, etc. The hard part me is getting the rotation right. For example, if I knock over the CD shredder and then want to use it I have a hard time picking it up, rotating it, and placing it down so it stays upright. And sometimes the bread can be a bit tricky to get into the toasters if it is in the wrong position.

Joining the fold, I picked up a copy yesterday and played it for an hour or so. Not too bad, but the similarities to Katamari Damacy border on copyright infringment.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Joining the fold, I picked up a copy yesterday and played it for an hour or so. Not too bad, but the similarities to Katamari Damacy border on copyright infringment.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:... I know what you mean. And yet, in some ways the game is completely different. It is a strange phenomenon.

[quote name='io']:rofl:... I know what you mean. And yet, in some ways the game is completely different. It is a strange phenomenon.[/quote]
The major difference I've seen is that Elebits is really serious is tone while Katamari Damacy doesn't take itself seriously at all.

So, I decided that this is going to be my next Wii game. After reading all of the stuff on this thread it looks like a good purchase. I need to find a deal now.

[quote name='munch']So, I decided that this is going to be my next Wii game. After reading all of the stuff on this thread it looks like a good purchase. I need to find a deal now.[/QUOTE]

I'll pick this up eventually, but I have a feeling I'll be waiting for the first $30 sale on it or something.

bread's done
Back