IGN Insider - Worth it?

Lupuri

CAGiversary!
New feature of downloadable guides..
$20 for a year, also get a subscription to Maxim (whoopie.......?)
Thoughts?

if you like mega64 stuff, they have exclusive videos that are being uploaded twice a month starting last week( I believe).

[quote name='Lupuri']New feature of downloadable guides[/quote]
http://www.gamefaqs.com

The only reason to get an IGN/GS subscription is for their e3 stuff, but with e3's new format and the lackluster quality of their recent coverage, it definitely isn't worth it.

[quote name='Strell']Short answer: no.

Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.[/quote]

QFT

but srsly, who pays for that insider stuff?

I got a free subscription due to some other deal at work. I can honestly say unless you're a videogame fanatic, it's not worth it. Even then...it's a bit too much. I'd say $10 annualy is the absolute most it's worth.

I'm an insider too and did it for the HD videos mostly.

But I don't think I want to continue it... their content isn't as good anymore and you can usually find HD videos directly from company/game websites.

No!

My manager at gamecrazy used to subscribe to get videos to put up in the store kiosks, but said it would be an absolute ripoff for the average joe.

I gotta say "no".

I was a subscriber for a few years and it just was NOT worth it. Sure, the guides are nice but you can get comparable guides for free from Gamespot or just check FAQ's on GameFAQs.

Waste of money IMO.

[quote name='evilmax17']http://www.gamefaqs.com

The only reason to get an IGN/GS subscription is for their e3 stuff, but with e3's new format and the lackluster quality of their recent coverage, it definitely isn't worth it.[/QUOTE]

Usually I'd agree, but IGN guides do have the added bonus of helpful pics, and they do the ocasional import guide. They're guide for Jump Super Stars is leagues above what anyone on GF had.

That said, the JSS guide is already free, and most of their extra content is just not worth it.

I used to subscribe, mostly for the videos and head-2-heads. Then Gametrailers came along, and Insider only produced head-2-heads once every few months. But the main reason I let it lapse is that the site is slow as hell. I can browse Gamespot front to back and download any HD trailers I'm interested in from Gametrailers before any page of IGN will load to completion. For the occasions they have something I want to read, I've ad-blocked all their backgrounds so that I can read the text without highlighting it. I think the loading may be a Firefox issue, but it's really not worth figuring out.

i remember the good old days when all the content on ign was free for everyone. i spent hours checking out robotech 64 videos only to have the damn game cancelled. wish theyd bring it out for the ds.

this came in handy last year when E3 was bigger. insider was on the whole day. lol, i got my insider for free. the rest of the year it was , worthless.

I've been leeching off my wife's ign insider account for a while now. Trailers are okay, but I prefer to download extended gameplay videos or behind the scenes stuff that is longer than the typical trailer. These videos are often in the 120MB - 600MB range, but the d/l from ign is pretty fast, and I can queue up a dozen at a time.

My laptop won't play the 720p videos smoothly, but I use mediacenter on the 360 and it is pure eye candy on the 60-inch sxrd. I doubt I ever would have purchased my own membership, but I am happy to exploit hers.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Usually I'd agree, but IGN guides do have the added bonus of helpful pics, and they do the ocasional import guide. They're guide for Jump Super Stars is leagues above what anyone on GF had.

That said, the JSS guide is already free, and most of their extra content is just not worth it.[/quote]
Actually go look at the superguides at http://mycheats.com. I think their Wiki layout is the best so far.

As for videos gamevideos, gametrailers, and stage6 have all the HD content I need.

Could the same be said for gamespot?

The only service I can see people paying for is something like fileplanet.

No way. A huge FYI about free mag subscriptions with insider, they will automatically bill the CC you used to sign up for insider to renew the magazines after a year. I had to go through the hassle of cancelling 3 magazines, then waiting for my refunds, after their third party company decided to autorenew.

they do have a lot of insider only things, but nothing that you couldn't find some where else on the web for free. And this is coming from an IGN fan, still not an insider tho.

The HD vids can be worth it if you're a stickler for details. I signed up initially so I could see their head-to-head comparisons of different consoles.

I canceled recently because frankly, the video reviews are mostly recycled footage, and I can find other places to get HD trailers or preview videos.

Actually it's not a horrible deal. It's nice to get there reviews in HD. And there is alot of other content in HD also.

Other good thing is I only payed the $20 fee once. And that was four years ago. They havent charged me since.

If your liked on the forums someone will adopt you. I have had Insider for 2 years and havent paid a dime :). I heart my adopters.

The message boards are the only reason to pay for Insider pretty much. That's what the majority of Insider is for, people want their boards, which are pretty good and very active.

All of the guides are free to view now (Insider does let you download pdf's) and you get HD video clips but it's not really worth it. Best thing as suggested above is see if you can get adopted by someone.

Their mods became a bunch of Nazi's about absolutely no talk about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray in the 360/PS3 forums so I canceled my Insider after having it for over 6 years. My subscription runs out in Feb.

bread's done
Back