IGN's Top 25 PS2 Games of All Time

[quote name='primetime']Rygar is good, but not deserving of that list. Controls did not always work flawlessly. Not to mention the game is very short. I rented the game, then bought it at BB to finish it. I then beat it in less than an hour. Of course I was like :whistle2:| . Maybe one of the Onimushas instead?[/quote]

You beat Rygar in an hour?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You beat Rygar in an hour?[/quote]

No, no. I had rented it earlier along with a couple of games and unknowingly played it until about the end. I would not have bought it if I had known I almost beat the game. D'oh

[quote name='jesta2817']I thought it was a pretty agreeable list till I read #9. To me, the list kinda went downhill from there. Granted RE4 and Okami do deserve to be on there, though maybe higher.[/QUOTE]

Hardly, Twisted Metal Black couldn't have been higher.

My beef is with Kingdom Hearts. It's a decent game, with a decent story for the kiddies, but strip away the licenses and you have a mediocre platformer with a couple of RPG elements hammered on. I could understand KH2, which is better much KH, but 10x better. Otherwise, the list is pretty much perfect.

[quote name='tayaf69']Here is a question that has plagued me for years...

When someone says "higher" or "lower" about rankings, do they mean a higher rank (as in from rank 3 goes higher to rank 1) or do they mean the opposite (as in rank 1 goes HIGHER to rank 3). Yes, I'm about to graduate college with a 3.8 and I am still an idiot. :)[/QUOTE]

It means the first thing you said, ie, the ranking going "higher" means it goes from 3 to either 2 or 1.

Now you can graduate college in peace. :D

[quote name='eau']IGN's Top 25 PS2 Games of All Time (3/16/07)

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/772/772296p1.html

1) God of War
2) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
4) Shadow of the Colossus
5) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
7) Guitar Hero
10) Burnout 3: Takedown
11) Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
12) Gran Turismo 4
13) Jak II
14) Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
15) Resident Evil 4
16) Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
17) Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
18) Okami
20) NBA Street Vol. 2
21) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
24) Suikoden III[/QUOTE]

I could agree with all of these (replacing Jak with Jak II), for one reason or another, although maybe not in this order.
ICO, while absolutely fantastic, doesn't belong on this list. I'd definitely put FFXII on there before X, but I still haven't gotten around to finishing it, so I'll hold my judgment.
I'd add Katamari and one of the Onimusha titles, for sure, and perhaps Disgaea. Everything else would be too redundant, in my opinion.

I would say a pretty good list - surprising coming from the guys at IGN. A few (un-solicited) thoughts:

In my opinion, they got it right for their DMC pick - while the original was a classic, Dante's Awakening blows it out of the water in every respect and renders it completely obsolete. I pity those new to the series who, because they want to experience some sort of chronology in the stories, play DMC3 before the original.

For the Ratchet and Clank selection, I probably would have Up Your Arsenal on there instead of Going Commando, given that it essentially was GC polished to a gleaming sheen.

Shadow of the Colossus is fantastic and probably belongs on the list, but as far as specific placement goes they overrate it a tad. The editor who reviewed it for IGN was clearly affected by the game in such a way that I would wager isn't representative of the common gamer's response.

Guitar Hero - meh, I just don't know if it belongs on a list of the PS2's greatest games. While it has the accessibility and addictiveness factor in spades, I'm not sure that those features alone catapult it above so many other games in such an extensive library as the PS2's. Of course, this is assuming that the goal of the list was to catalog the best overall games and not identify the best game from each genre.

Overall, I'm not a fan of multiplatform games showing up on a list like this (e.g. THPS3, NBA Street) but in some cases it is necessary (RE4, Burnout3).

-Jason

Multiplatform games have to be included. Basically, they're saying "If you only own the PS2, which games are must own?"

NBA St Vol. 2 is much better on the Xbox but it's a classic game. I remember spending many hours perfecting my baller and picking up Shaq and Dr. J for my squad. If my Xbox died, NBA St Vol 2 is one game I'd have to pick up for the PS2. If it doesn't become backwards compatible, I still might pick up the PS2 version so I don't have to drag out the big black box everytime I want a fix.

[quote name='depascal22']Multiplatform games have to be included. Basically, they're saying "If you only own the PS2, which games are must own?"

NBA St Vol. 2 is much better on the Xbox but it's a classic game. I remember spending many hours perfecting my baller and picking up Shaq and Dr. J for my squad. If my Xbox died, NBA St Vol 2 is one game I'd have to pick up for the PS2. If it doesn't become backwards compatible, I still might pick up the PS2 version so I don't have to drag out the big black box everytime I want a fix.[/quote]

Indeed, Street 2 was great, and arguably the PS2 version was better due to its extra pair of modifiers in the shoulder buttons.

I tend to see these lists as reasons to own X console over Y, I suppose.

Wow. I'm amazed that IGN can fuck up this list. It's a pretty easy list to make, but no Katamari, no Psychonauts, no Disgaea, no SSX......

Plus Suikoden III is a retarded choie as is THPS 3 over THUG, TTT over Tekken 5, and a few other parts of the list. It's really one of the shittiest "definitive" lists I've ever seen.

my top 10

1. God of War
2. God of War II
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence/Snake Eater
5. Shadow of Colossus
6. Okami
7. Final Fantasy XII
8. Devil May Cry 3
9. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
10. Guitar Hero

bread's done