Indiana Deals Thread

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Since you're going to be in Ft. Wayne, I thought I'd warn you to stay the hell away from McVan's.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't stay away from them, just don't buy anything from them unless you have to. I like going to their main store on maplecrest and just looking around. They have some older stuff you might not ever see around here otherwise.

Fort Wayne is weird. My coworkers all describe it as a small town that got big. Meaning we have some of the pretty cool stuff from big cities, but all in all it feels like a smaller suburban town.

We actually have a pretty good amount of cool little hole in the wall places.
There is the dollar movie at coventry, northwood cinema grill, gamexscape, a ton of cool coffeehouses, several good used bookstores.

[quote name='arbiter']
There is the dollar movie at coventry, [/QUOTE]I live so close to it, I could easily walk there, since I live on the SW side of town.
[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Since you're going to be in Ft. Wayne, I thought I'd warn you to stay the hell away from McVan's.[/QUOTE]Hahaha, true. I actually went there for the first time in years a few days ago. I actually made a few trades and overpaid for them, but only because there were two PS1 games I absolutely never wanted to see again. They can have some good old stuff, but their prices suck. I saw they are still charging $60 for Mega Man X2 SNES (I have the game and want to sell it, but I don't see it go anywhere near as much on ebay).

IMO, downtown Fort Wayne isn't all that big, but the suburbs or outside of downtown is pretty large, like there's decent amount of shopping on the NW, NE, and SW side of town (SE is the ghetto).

[quote name='arbiter']Fort Wayne is weird. My coworkers all describe it as a small town that got big. Meaning we have some of the pretty cool stuff from big cities, but all in all it feels like a smaller suburban town.

We actually have a pretty good amount of cool little hole in the wall places.
There is the dollar movie at coventry, northwood cinema grill, gamexscape, a ton of cool coffeehouses, several good used bookstores.[/QUOTE]
You mentioned gamexscape. I'm not sure if I know that place. Is that the game place in georgetown where you can rent time on xbox360's?

Yes, that's the place. I don't know if they've switched over to 360's yet, been a few months since I was there. You pay by the hour to play on networked Xboxes.

[quote name='arbiter']Fort Wayne is weird. My coworkers all describe it as a small town that got big. Meaning we have some of the pretty cool stuff from big cities, but all in all it feels like a smaller suburban town.[/quote]

I'm from the mean 'burbs, so that is music to my ears. This trip is terrifying enough for me.

Picked me up a copy of Just Cause for 360 ($16.96) at the Circuit City in Greenwood/Indianpolis on US31. There was one copy left still marked at $39.99 with the normal games, I didn't see any of the other games from recent clearance drop though.

I never realized there were so many Ft Wayne people on CAG, but I guess that explains why finding deals can be a bit tougher. The best success I've had so far is at pawn shops and yard sales.

I moved here last August, and am still adjusting to the midwest style of living. Coming from the east coast, I don't find Ft Wayne to impressive at all, but I do like the wide variety of shopping and eating that can be had. There's no real trick to driving around town, just be prepared to stop a lot, since it appears that the city planners like to make the traffic lights appose each other, meaning that when one light turns green, the next light in the chain turns red.

With all of these CAG around, seems like a club or event should be planned. :D

[quote name='donaldtrunk']I never realized there were so many Ft Wayne people on CAG, but I guess that explains why finding deals can be a bit tougher. The best success I've had so far is at pawn shops and yard sales.

I moved here last August, and am still adjusting to the midwest style of living. Coming from the east coast, I don't find Ft Wayne to impressive at all, but I do like the wide variety of shopping and eating that can be had. There's no real trick to driving around town, just be prepared to stop a lot, since it appears that the city planners like to make the traffic lights appose each other, meaning that when one light turns green, the next light in the chain turns red.

With all of these CAG around, seems like a club or event should be planned. :D[/QUOTE]
I agree with the point about the food. There are so many restaurants in town. I'd really like to be able to go to Powers and Coney Island more. Those places are really good.

The one thing I don't like about the roads here is that they change names. St. Joe Center becomes Washington Center road. I also really dislike how the roads are set up to get into Jefferson Point or the Best Buy down there. That's a mess.

[quote name='erehwon']I agree with the point about the food. There are so many restaurants in town. I'd really like to be able to go to Powers and Coney Island more. Those places are really good.

The one thing I don't like about the roads here is that they change names. St. Joe Center becomes Washington Center road. I also really dislike how the roads are set up to get into Jefferson Point or the Best Buy down there. That's a mess.[/QUOTE]

i dont know how the owners of jefferson point are not being sued. They agreement was to have Stop lights at all those 4 way stops by Thanksgiving 2006

still no stop lights. So they are in breach of contract to the city.

IMO, the traffic situation in the entire SW area is fucked. From Jefferson Point, to West Jefferson, to Getz Rd. , it just goes on and on. What makes it worse is that I live in the SW area right off Getz Rd., so I get stuck dealing with this crap on a daily basis.

From what I understand there was a period with almost no city planning...maybe in the 70's to 80's. When there was expansion, it was very haphazard. That's why you find weird areas that are like ghetto, nice houses, ghetto. This is also why some streets grew into each other.

[quote name='erehwon']
The one thing I don't like about the roads here is that they change names. St. Joe Center becomes Washington Center road. I also really dislike how the roads are set up to get into Jefferson Point or the Best Buy down there. That's a mess.[/QUOTE]I couldn't agree more about the road changes. I remember how part of Lima use to be called Northrop. I forget when St. Joe Ctr Rd. starts myself, since I know it's also Washington Ctr Rd. in Washington township. Yeah, Fort Wayne is weird in that way.
[quote name='donaldtrunk']IMO, the traffic situation in the entire SW area is fucked. From Jefferson Point, to West Jefferson, to Getz Rd. , it just goes on and on. What makes it worse is that I live in the SW area right off Getz Rd., so I get stuck dealing with this crap on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]Yes it is, but I can understand why. When I moved to Fort Wayne in 1983 (I was 6 months old), we lived in the SW area and there was absolutely nothing. There was a tiny Grocery store, old gas station, Verizon/GTW building, and not much else in the area. We lived in a small apartment in Colony Bay until we could find a house around town. My family felt it was best to live Northeast (I ended up moving to Hillsboro) because most stuff was there (like Target, Kroger, etc.). During the time I was away from SW, the area was starting to grow very quickly. Since they weren't sure if they area was going to grow anymore, so they paid experts from Indy lots of money, and they said the area wasn't going to grow anymore. They were planning on building a brand new H.S. (large one) where Summit Middle School currently is, turn the older Homestead High School into a middle school, and leave Woodside Middle school how it was. They heard the area wasn't going to grow, so they just remodeled Homestead and that's it. By the time I moved into the SW area, in 1990, the area really expanded and the schools were overcrowded. They ended up building a new middle school (finished in 1993), greatly expanding Homestead (finished in 1997), merge Homestead with Woodside (in 2004 I believe, can't remember), and build a brand new Woodside middle school (in 2004). They could have had everything right by not paying experts long ago, but ended up wasting all that money in the end. Btw, I knew about this since I did go to those schools.

I know about the area around Jefferson and Getz, which is why I hate being in the area (especially around lunch time). I really don't know any possible way of getting around it. They planned the area like it was never going to grow and always felt the SE side would be larger (but now that isn't the case).
[quote name='arbiter']From what I understand there was a period with almost no city planning...maybe in the 70's to 80's. When there was expansion, it was very haphazard. That's why you find weird areas that are like ghetto, nice houses, ghetto. This is also why some streets grew into each other.[/QUOTE]Pretty much. Some other poor planning is in most cities, you'll see shopping centers connect so you don't have to drive onto the main road. In Fort Wayne, you have to get back onto the main road to get to shopping center to shopping center. In many cities, most stuff is all on one street, but in Fort Wayne, it's split between Coliseum and Coldwater (which is why that's the worst intersection in town IMO).

Btw, I doubt anyone sees me around town, since I tend to go to places at werid times (usually in the morning, since I'm a morning person). But I'll say, if you ever see a short black guy, around the height of 5'5", that's me (I'm usually looking at everything, but the majority of my time is spent in the PS3, PSP, and 360 section at stores).

[quote name='donaldtrunk']IMO, the traffic situation in the entire SW area is fucked. From Jefferson Point, to West Jefferson, to Getz Rd. , it just goes on and on. What makes it worse is that I live in the SW area right off Getz Rd., so I get stuck dealing with this crap on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]Yes it is, but I can understand why. When I moved to Fort Wayne in 1983 (I was 6 months old), we lived in the SW area and there was absolutely nothing. There was a tiny Grocery store, old gas station, Verizon/GTW building, and not much else in the area. We lived in a small apartment in Colony Bay until we could find a house around town. My family felt it was best to live Northeast (I ended up moving to Hillsboro) because most stuff was there (like Target, Kroger, etc.). During the time I was away from SW, the area was starting to grow very quickly. Since they weren't sure if they area was going to grow anymore, so they paid experts from Indy lots of money, and they said the area wasn't going to grow anymore. They were planning on building a brand new H.S. (large one) where Summit Middle School currently is, turn the older Homestead High School into a middle school, and leave Woodside Middle school how it was. They heard the area wasn't going to grow, so they just remodeled Homestead and that's it. By the time I moved into the SW area, in 1990, the area really expanded and the schools were overcrowded. They ended up building a new middle school (finished in 1993), greatly expanding Homestead (finished in 1997), merge Homestead with Woodside (in 2004 I believe, can't remember), and build a brand new Woodside middle school (in 2004). They could have had everything right by not paying experts long ago, but ended up wasting all that money in the end. Btw, I knew about this since I did go to those schools.

I know about the area around Jefferson and Getz, which is why I hate being in the area (especially around lunch time). I really don't know any possible way of getting around it. They planned the area like it was never going to grow and always felt the SE side would be larger (but now that isn't the case).
[quote name='arbiter']From what I understand there was a period with almost no city planning...maybe in the 70's to 80's. When there was expansion, it was very haphazard. That's why you find weird areas that are like ghetto, nice houses, ghetto. This is also why some streets grew into each other.[/QUOTE]Pretty much. Some other poor planning is in most cities, you'll see shopping centers connect so you don't have to drive onto the main road. In Fort Wayne, you have to get back onto the main road to get to shopping center to shopping center. In many cities, most stuff is all on one street, but in Fort Wayne, it's split between Coliseum and Coldwater (which is why that's the worst intersection in town IMO).

i dont think the streets are that bad in fort wayne. Then again i \drive around 6 hours a day for work so maybe im just use to how the streets are .

one more call......

does anyone bowl anymore and would be intersted in

around 60-65 bowling passes for georgetown bowl

each pass is good for 2 free games (so if you take all 65 passes you could bowl 130 games : )

they expire june 30 2007

i got these when i took a bowling class for school next year

if anyone has an offer for 1 or all let me know cause in 18 days they are worthless and i probally will never go out there

[quote name='slidecage']one more call......

does anyone bowl anymore and would be intersted in

around 60-65 bowling passes for georgetown bowl

each pass is good for 2 free games (so if you take all 65 passes you could bowl 130 games : )

they expire june 30 2007

i got these when i took a bowling class for school next year

if anyone has an offer for 1 or all let me know cause in 18 days they are worthless and i probally will never go out there[/QUOTE]
I use to go to Georgetown Bowl a lot, but it's quite a distance from me. If the expiration date was later, I'd probably take them and go with my friend.

[quote name='englishsandwich']They are bad, but anyone who has driven in Mishawaka/South Bend can at least say there are worse.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if they are hard to find anymore or if anyone is looking for one, but the Kmart in Huntington has had a few Wiis in stock for the past week.

Also the EB in West Lafayette had some copies of Pheonix Wright for 19.99.

You guys have got to stop complaiing about the traffic in Fort Wayne. I lived there all my life until 2 years ago. Now I live in Osaka, Japan. Talk about piss poor road planning! Everything is back alley size. It takes 20 minutes to go 20 miles because you have to pull up against a pole every 40 yards to let someone by 10 inches at a time.

[quote name='E_G_Man']I don't know if they are hard to find anymore or if anyone is looking for one, but the Kmart in Huntington has had a few Wiis in stock for the past week.

Also the EB in West Lafayette had some copies of Pheonix Wright for 19.99.[/QUOTE]They still are hard to find, since I've still never seen a Wii in my life. Well, if you have something, you normally have no problems finding it afterwards.

Phoenix Wright has been there at the EB in WL for a while (I remembered when they got the game back in).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']They still are hard to find, since I've still never seen a Wii in my life. Well, if you have something, you normally have no problems finding it afterwards.
[/quote]

I've had no problems finding Wii's all over the state and I don't even own one.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']I've had no problems finding Wii's all over the state and I don't even own one.[/QUOTE]A friend of mine badly wanted to buy a Wii for his sister, but could never find one. The only way he was able to get one was to stand outside of Circuit City really early in the morning (on a Sunday) to get one. He told me they sold out within 10 minutes.

I go to stores around 3-4 times a week, mostly in the afternoon (sometimes evening or early morning), and still never seen one. They must just be popular in Fort Wayne and Lafayette. If I saw one, I'd probably buy it.

I somewhat dislike the employee that works at one EB in town (won't say who). Someone asked about a Wii, and he told them that no stores have gotten any shipments in for a long time and they only come in randomly (Yeah right, many retailers got them in on Sunday since they advertised limited quantities). He was the same guy who told someone that no new games were coming to PS2 later this year and a customer better not buy one (yeah right). He also gave me a hard time over owning a PS3.

Wiis are still relatively rare in Ft. Wayne from what I'm told. They sell out as soon as they come in at most places.

Check with the guys at Gamecrazy at Maplecrest. If nothing else, you'll get honest answers about your chances for snagging one. Don't bother with the Gamecrazy on Coldwater - the staff there sucks (except for the cute kinda-stoner-looking girl).

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Wiis are still relatively rare in Ft. Wayne from what I'm told. They sell out as soon as they come in at most places.

Check with the guys at Gamecrazy at Maplecrest. If nothing else, you'll get honest answers about your chances for snagging one. Don't bother with the Gamecrazy on Coldwater - the staff there sucks (except for the cute kinda-stoner-looking girl).[/quote]

I agree with you on this one. Brian at the Maplecrest GC is the best game store employee I've ever met. He's down to earth and extremely honest and caring. A+ to him! I also agree about the stoner girl at the other GC. A+ to her too.

...and slidecage, I sent you a PM about those bowling passes.

[quote name='donaldtrunk']I agree with you on this one. Brian at the Maplecrest GC is the best game store employee I've ever met. He's down to earth and extremely honest and caring. A+ to him! I also agree about the stoner girl at the other GC. A+ to her too.

...and slidecage, I sent you a PM about those bowling passes.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree that the Maplecrest store has some good employees. I talked with one of the other guys there and he said that some guy had come a few days ago and cleaned him out of anything good. The guy was some kind of reseller from Ohio.

For the first time ever, I saw a Nintendo Wii console at Wal-Mart today (around Jefferson Pointe). I saw one person buy one, and then there were 4 left on the shelves. I considered buying one, since I had the money, but decided to wait.

This was around noon.

for anyone who cares the $20 off any 2 wii games works at Fort Wayne's Circuit City. Did it with 2 copies of Mario Party 8 last week and did it with big brain and cooking momma this week.

[quote name='donaldtrunk']I agree with you on this one. Brian at the Maplecrest GC is the best game store employee I've ever met. He's down to earth and extremely honest and caring. A+ to him! I also agree about the stoner girl at the other GC. A+ to her too.

...and slidecage, I sent you a PM about those bowling passes.[/QUOTE]

do you want them Pm you back but never head from you. i really need to get red of these. since only got 2 weeks to use

Do any of you Fort Wayne CAGs know of any good places to look for used anime? I'm looking to complete my set of Rahxephon dvds. I've gotten 1,2,3,4, and 6 from EB/GS dvd sales. I just ordered vol. 5 from rightstuf and now I just have to find vol. 7. I've checked all the EB/GS in town except for the Jefferson point one. Suncoast doesn't have it and I even checked the McVans on Maplecrest since they have a large DVD section. I really can't think of anywhere else in town to check. I wish FYE and Sam Goody hadn't closed down.

Check the store by Ultra Zone that sells video games, movies and board games, Im afraid I can't remember the name of the place (I think it was Atomic something (but that could be totally off)). If I remember the name Ill let you know (although I haven't been there in a while so it might not exist anymore... (I guess Im not much help.. :p))

It's Atomic Comics and Hobby or Atomic Comics & Games. I can't remember which. They seem to have decent game and DVD prices.

I saw an XBOX 360 HDDVD player at the Sam's Club on west side of Indy (Rockville, 465) for $181. There was only one there. In case someone was gonna buy one I thought I'd let yall know. Later Hoosiers!

Das Uber Target on Coldwater has a Tivo w/ no box in the electronics discount end cap for something like $40 on discount.

I didn't know if that would interest anyone.

[quote name='arbiter']Das Uber Target on Coldwater has a Tivo w/ no box in the electronics discount end cap for something like $40 on discount.

I didn't know if that would interest anyone.[/QUOTE]
I remembered seeing that. The thing I was wondering if there are any ways to get other tv software on them like mythtv so you don't have to pay tivo.

The target on Maplecrest had some of those psp stereo things that were $24, a few days ago. I would have picked one up, but I don't plan on picking up a psp in a while.

I have a PSP, but I'll pass.

I'm debating about picking up Gunpey tomorrow on PSP, since it's on sale at TRU tomorrow.

I gotta go to Fry's sometime this week, since I want to see if they still have some import PSP games I want (if not, I'll order from Play-Asia).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I have a PSP, but I'll pass.

I'm debating about picking up Gunpey tomorrow on PSP, since it's on sale at TRU tomorrow.

I gotta go to Fry's sometime this week, since I want to see if they still have some import PSP games I want (if not, I'll order from Play-Asia).[/QUOTE]
I'm thinking about going to TRU as well. I'm tempted to pick up Phoenix Wright, even though I don't have much money right now.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Wait, we have a Fry's in Fort Wayne? I've never been in a Fry's, but everyone around here talks about it. Is it good?[/quote]

YES, YES, YES

I wish we had one by me. They pricematch as well.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Wait, we have a Fry's in Fort Wayne? I've never been in a Fry's, but everyone around here talks about it. Is it good?[/QUOTE]Nope, Fry's is in Fishers, IN (near Indy). It's actually not that far away. If you go south on I-69, its off of Exit 3 (I live by Exit 102, so its basically 99 miles from me). Yeah, it may be over an hour of a drive, but it's always worth it (I spend over an hour there, every time I go) IMO. Fry's is basically the size of 6 Best Buys (well, the one on Northcrest), and carries tons of electronics.

I don't just go to northern Indy (basically the Castleton and Fishters area) for Fry's, but they have a pretty good Best Buy, a few Targets (one is a Super Target), good Meijer (that has a few hard to find games at times brand new), good Circuit City, good Toy's R Us, Comp USA, and others. Last summer, I was going there every week. Glenbrook Mall is starting to become boring because most all my favorite stores closed, but Castleton Square Mall still has them. Although I found the Fashion Mall boring, I did love going to the Sony Style store though (Everyone who knows me, knows I have a love for many Sony products). :lol:

bread's done
Back