Indie Gala Group Buy Thread

I'll take a spot.  I'm very disappointed in the devs of Interstellar Marines for being part of this.  Since their game is on early access I expect a bit of "price protection"  for early supporters.   I'm not dwelling on it but it is a very bad precedent to set for themselves and anyone else in the program which historically has been more of a crowd funding thing than anything else.  It feels more or less like they ran a kick starter got a ton of money and then sold copies for 1/15th the price after to any late comers before their game even officially launched.  But for anyone who hasn't spent their money, it's a great deal.

On top of that you essentially get 3 copies of the game with every BTA bundle.   One for the base game, and two with the spearhead edition which when you redeem the key gives you an extra gift copy in your inventory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take a spot. I'm very disappointed in the devs of Interstellar Marines for being part of this. Since their game is on early access I expect a bit of "price protection" for early supporters. I'm not dwelling on it but it is a very bad precedent to set for themselves and anyone else in the program which historically has been more of a crowd funding thing than anything else. It feels more or less like they ran a kick starter got a ton of money and then sold copies for 1/15th the price after to any late comers before their game even officially launched. But for anyone who hasn't spent their money, it's a great deal.

On top of that you essentially get 3 copies of the game with every BTA bundle. One for the base game, and two with the spearhead edition which when you redeem the key gives you an extra gift copy in your inventory.
Yeah though i love bundles & sales this seems like a kick to the nuts for all their true fans that already paid. Not generally a great strategy.

I respect the creator of castle doctrine. he said after the launch sale (his game took the minecraft approach and got more expensive the further along in development) he vowed never to put the game on sale or in a bundle. If he holds to that then he is a ballsy individual but one dedicated to his fans from the beginning.

Yeah though i love bundles & sales this seems like a kick to the nuts for all their true fans that already paid. Not generally a great strategy.

I respect the creator of castle doctrine. he said after the launch sale (his game took the minecraft approach and got more expensive the further along in development) he vowed never to put the game on sale or in a bundle. If he holds to that then he is a ballsy individual but one dedicated to his fans from the beginning.
This. I feel like it is just an expectation on an early release and/or crowdfunded title that it wont be basically given away in any type of bundle or on a crazy sale. Even if they gave standard but not spearhead it may have been tolerable.

I don't even mind sales but I think its best practice with your fans to give a grace window of time where you will not discount your game. If anything your price goes up over time. Initial crowdfunding should be your lowest price point for at least 6 months after launch.

Interstellar Marines Developer - Response to the IndieGala bundle

"First of all we want to say we’re sorry.

We took part in the Indiegala bundle with one objective in mind: to do something to support charity.

As crazy as this might seem, we simply did not realize we would upset so many of you by dropping the price of both versions of Interstellar Marines. We should have realized this would happen, but we’re only human and it just did not cross our minds.

We screwed up, and we’re sorry.

It is important to understand we pretty much get nothing out of this bundle, which is fine with us as making money was not our intention.

On the plus side everyone who has purchased the Indiegala bundle has helped charity, so in a small way we hope we've positively contributed to good causes.

We value each and every person who supports us, both through purchasing Interstellar Marines and just simply through word of mouth and moral support. We’re sorry to have let you all down.

We hope that you will accept this apology, and that you continue to stay with us and support us through thick and thin. We need your support on this journey and Interstellar Marines will not be the game we want it to be without your support.

/ The entire Interstellar Marines team."

We took part in the Indiegala bundle with one objective in mind: to do something to support charity.

As crazy as this might seem, we simply did not realize we would upset so many of you by dropping the price of both versions of Interstellar Marines. We should have realized this would happen, but we’re only human and it just did not cross our minds.

It is important to understand we pretty much get nothing out of this bundle, which is fine with us as making money was not our intention.

On the plus side everyone who has purchased the Indiegala bundle has helped charity, so in a small way we hope we've positively contributed to good causes.

We value each and every person who supports us, both through purchasing Interstellar Marines and just simply through word of mouth and moral support. We’re sorry to have let you all down.

We hope that you will accept this apology, and that you continue to stay with us and support us through thick and thin. We need your support on this journey and Interstellar Marines will not be the game we want it to be without your support.

Although I appreciate them admitting that this could upset some people, its not good enough. The charity element is so minuscule that I'm not buying it. The Able Gamers default split on this is about 5%. The default developers split is 70%. This sounds like garbage to me.

Yeah, i'd say this is a pr out. If they really wanted to support charity they should have gone the humble bundle approach. There you can put all the money to charity if you so desire. I'm sure humble would have been happy to have them too being an early access title with a decent following.

Yeah, i'd say this is a pr out. If they really wanted to support charity they should have gone the humble bundle approach. There you can put all the money to charity if you so desire. I'm sure humble would have been happy to have them too being an early access title with a decent following.
I will probably just have to disengage from this one. The more I read from the dev and them more they apologize and say its for charity the more angry I get. Bottom line is its a shitty move and I don't believe for a second it was only for charity.

You can put all your money to charity for Indie Gala too so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for this to be true. Also, Humble can be a little picky/snobby about their bundles. Also, I don't think the rage would have been any different for them being in Humble.

You can put all your money to charity for Indie Gala too so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for this to be true. Also, Humble can be a little picky/snobby about their bundles. Also, I don't think the rage would have been any different for them being in Humble.
You can change it but I would be surprised if many people adjust the sliders.

I'm only really interested in PixelJunk Shooter so I'd like to take a spot if there is any space in one's group.

EDIT: Forgot about Happy Hour, I'm in.

You can change it but I would be surprised if many people adjust the sliders.
They don't. I think most people do default split which is mostly NOT to charity. I try to slide it all the way to charity most of the time. Shady fact - they consider donating to their minecraft rip off (indie gala project x) as a donation to charity...lol

They don't. I think most people do default split which is mostly NOT to charity. I try to slide it all the way to charity most of the time. Shady fact - they consider donating to their minecraft rip off (indie gala project x) as a donation to charity...lol
At least sunasun's home for inebriated tramps is totally up front about it. ;)

I don't think there has been one of these (with this price structure) without a happy hour. As always, hosting and please PM to confirm your slot!
There was one, but if I remember correctly there was a huge backlash and they extended the bundle and did a happy hour.

I'm in for a bundle as well.

True and true. Didn't know you could go all i for charity on indie gala so maybe a bit more credence. Its hard to tell, but i suppose assuming in either direction is probably the wrong thing to do so I'll just buy my bundle and consider it lucky I decided to wait on buying interstellar marines a month ago.

How can anyone here, as a CAG, get offended or confused by ANY game suddenly being in a bundle or drastically cheaper? "Price protection"? I'm cracking up at the idea, honestly.

Sometimes games stay higher in price for awhile, but never, ever buy a game early on thinking that you're getting some "protection" that you're going to have the game for awhile while everyone else has to wait some debatable amount of time before it being a-okay for the price to drop or for the game to hit a bundle, just because you were a gent and "supported" the game early on. There's almost no predicting this shit.

If you want a game quick, buy it quick (or reasonably, just wait till it hits 50% off, which is usually pretty fast). If you don't, then wait. End of story.

I'll take a spot. I'm very disappointed in the devs of Interstellar Marines for being part of this. Since their game is on early access I expect a bit of "price protection" for early supporters. I'm not dwelling on it but it is a very bad precedent to set for themselves and anyone else in the program which historically has been more of a crowd funding thing than anything else.
I can and do understand that... but considering the money you've invested in it and the fact that its an online shooter (maybe only? at that) wouldn't you rather have a bigger player base than price protection?

(Its pretty crappy for it to have happened, don't get me wrong, but to me a worse crime is a good game to die because no is playing it.)

How can anyone here, as a CAG, get offended or confused by ANY game suddenly being in a bundle or drastically cheaper? "Price protection"? I'm cracking up at the idea, honestly.

Sometimes games stay higher in price for awhile, but never, ever buy a game early on thinking that you're getting some "protection" that you're going to have the game for awhile while everyone else has to wait some debatable amount of time before it being a-okay for the price to drop or for the game to hit a bundle, just because you were a gent and "supported" the game early on. There's almost no predicting this shit.

If you want a game quick, buy it quick (or reasonably, just wait till it hits 50% off, which is usually pretty fast). If you don't, then wait. End of story.
Nice to see you in the forums again man its been a long time. I agree with you here for the most part and I understand some don't feel the same way I do about this. However, with Early Access/Crowdfunding/kickstarter my opinion on this changes dramatically. I feel there is an obligation to you supporters that they get the best deal for supporting and helping the project become real. It doesn't necessarily mean they paid the least but the bonus features and stretch goals should be somewhat exclusive to the program.

It is disheartening because the game isn't even completed yet but I don't really have a huge problem with the game being in a bundle. I do have a problem with the spearhead edition of the game being in the bundle because it was meant for early supporters to put their name in the credits, etc. It feels like a lack of respect for your early supporters to give this away.

I know this doesn't exactly apply because the scale is so drastically different but to me its like giving a purple heart medal to anyone showing great bravery in a war only to change your mind a few months later before the war is over and give it to everyone who participated on your side and the other side. It just demeans what you were trying to do in the beginning.

To me its not about price, its about respect for your supporters. The only reason and "apology" received was one saying it was for charity and we made a mistake. It's hard to forgive a team for that kind of mistake when they still don't seem to grasp what they did wrong. The charity side of things seems minuscule and is hard to swallow as well. It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I can and do understand that... but considering the money you've invested in it and the fact that its an online shooter (maybe only? at that) wouldn't you rather have a bigger player base than price protection?

(Its pretty crappy for it to have happened, don't get me wrong, but to me a worse crime is a good game to die because no is playing it.)
I agree with you here as well. The difference again being it hasn't even been finished. If the game was finished and stagnant, sure that makes sense. But, giving the spearhead edition was a really crappy thing to do no matter how you look at it.

Well, as a counterpoint, games being bundled or even turned into F2P games has not once ever revived a dead MP community. Its mostly because these games are bad/average to begin with, but even sort of novel stuff like Lead and Gold and The Ship didn't get a jolt when they were bundled/given away. That and this game is supposed to have a strong focus on single player, so it shouldn't need MP.

Nice to see you in the forums again man its been a long time. I agree with you here for the most part and I understand some don't feel the same way I do about this. However, with Early Access/Crowdfunding/kickstarter my opinion on this changes dramatically. I feel there is an obligation to you supporters that they get the best deal for supporting and helping the project become real. It doesn't necessarily mean they paid the least but the bonus features and stretch goals should be somewhat exclusive to the program.

It is disheartening because the game isn't even completed yet but I don't really have a huge problem with the game being in a bundle. I do have a problem with the spearhead edition of the game being in the bundle because it was meant for early supporters to put their name in the credits, etc. It feels like a lack of respect for your early supporters to give this away.

I know this doesn't exactly apply because the scale is so drastically different but to me its like giving a purple heart medal to anyone showing great bravery in a war only to change your mind a few months later before the war is over and give it to everyone who participated on your side and the other side. It just demeans what you were trying to do in the beginning.

To me its not about price, its about respect for your supporters. The only reason and "apology" received was one saying it was for charity and we made a mistake. It's hard to forgive a team for that kind of mistake when they still don't seem to grasp what they did wrong. The charity side of things seems minuscule and is hard to swallow as well. It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I agree with you here as well. The difference again being it hasn't even been finished. If the game was finished and stagnant, sure that makes sense. But, giving the spearhead edition was a really crappy thing to do no matter how you look at it.
You know, I don't understand why the didn't just do like a special edition to be bundled. My suspicion is they wanted you to get the game for $1 and then a better version of the game if you BTA. Problem is the IG system isn't set up for that. So instead of the regular edition being replaced by a better edition if you BTA, you get this situation where you basically get two (and three) copies of the game.

I think they should have just created a special "Indie Gala Edition" of the game for the BTA tier. It might have quelled some of the backlash. I assume them just making a new Steam entry for a new edition wouldn't have been terribly difficult and they could have just included like some DLC or the first DLC or something. But maybe that's harder than I think it is.

At the end of the Winter sale, I bought two four-packs of Natural Selection 2 and a four-pack of Sanctum 2 from the Steam Sale (I planned to keep a copy of each and sell the others to pay for the copy I kept). A few hours later, both games were offered in the Humble Bundle at the $1.00 level, and you also got a copy of Magicka in the bundle too. I waited for a Steam Sale, but buying Indie Games on sale isn't even safe. I'm only buying indie games from bundles from now on. I wait for them to get bundled, or I don't ever play them.

At the end of the Winter sale, I bought two four-packs of Natural Selection 2 and a four-pack of Sanctum 2 from the Steam Sale (I planned to keep a copy of each and sell the others to pay for the copy I kept). A few hours later, both games were offered in the Humble Bundle at the $1.00 level, and you also got a copy of Magicka in the bundle too. I waited for a Steam Sale, but buying Indie Games on sale isn't even safe. I'm only buying indie games from bundles from now on. I wait for them to get bundled, or I don't ever play them.
to be fair the developer had offered all of thier games in bundles before, so you knew it was going to happen.

But I am with you, there's very few games I buy on Steam now. I have to really want it.

Forgot I hadn't posted this here yet:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/326877-cheaplikeafoxs-official-indiegala-group-buy-thread/

I'm moving all talk for my group buys to its own thread so I can update the OP, etc.

This time around as a thank you to the community I'm hosting at absolutely cost.  I haven't gotten as many reserves as I did for the last bundle, but still more than usual.  The more reserves the cheaper I can bring down the price so if anyone is interested please reserve rather than wait.  

With the extra group buys I started taking the last time and with the way IndieGala seems to be moving back to a more reasonable price level I'm hoping this HH is going to be even cheaper than last time  (I mean it will because I'm hosting at cost this time, but I'm also hoping the cost this time will be lower than it was last time if that makes any sense).  

How much are the interstellar happy hour bundles gonna be?

I'm only interested in Sang Froid, Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate, and Pixeljunk Shooter.

Anybody doing an IG Capsule computers group buy? i'd be interested if you can get the price to 2.75 or under.
It's a weekly, likely won't have a Happy Hour. Cheapest way to buy it is to do the 4 gift tier.

Donate 4 gifts paying more than: $15.08 ($3.77 each)

Update on Interstellar HH here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/326877-cheaplikeafoxs-official-indiegala-group-buy-thread/

It's a weekly, likely won't have a Happy Hour. Cheapest way to buy it is to do the 4 gift tier.

Donate 4 gifts paying more than: $15.08 ($3.77 each)

If anyone does a group buy for the Capsule bundle for around the $3.77 in the above post I would like a slot.
Currently they removed every gifting option from Capsule bundle. I hope that's just a glitch due to the new site they are rolling out, but we'll see.

bread's done
Back