Indie Games Winter Uprising

I added the Epic Dungeon trial to my queue. Looking forward to trying it out. I enjoy rogue-likes on the iPhone, so no doubt on the xbox too, and the price is definitely right.

There is already a mega thread here, but I think all the banter about this would get drowned out. I'm actually quite interested in this since some of these games look promising.

Anyone have opinions on Aphelion: Episode 1? It looks like the sequel will be out this week.

Stoked for this, very happy that the indie devs banded together to get this done. So damn sick of the indie games getting the shaft and the stupid ass games "apps" getting credit and true/great/fresh indie games get the poop treatment.

LONG LIVE INDIE!>!!

Epic Dungeon is quite swell. I playtested a few other games that haven't been released yet and they were... ok. Epic Dungeon is definitely the best of what I've played so far.

[quote name='Ma12kez']There is already a mega thread here, but I think all the banter about this would get drowned out. I'm actually quite interested in this since some of these games look promising.

Anyone have opinions on Aphelion: Episode 1? It looks like the sequel will be out this week.[/QUOTE]

I got episode one, got to the first boss, fought him for 30+minutes until I ran out of potions and special attack points and wiped. That really turned me off of the game. Just felt like I was attacking a wall.

I picked up Epic Dungeon yesterday and think it's definitely worth a dollar. Certainly one of the more approachable yet fun Rogue-likes to come along on the xbox(since we didn't get demon's souls :( )

Looking forward to Cthulu and Chu's Dynasty(looks gorgeous for an indie game!) Wouldn't be surprised if I picked up Soulcaster II as well even though I never played the first. Anyone play that much recommend it?

Break Limit is up and its a pretty good shump. It changes directions similar to Shoot 1up and is a good deal at only 80 points. The update to Hypership Out of Control is up as well and I just need to re-download it to see the new features!

Here's info on the update to Hypership:

Changes included in this Update:
- Ability to reverse waves for all existing game modes.
- New online high scores lists for games played in reverse.
- Added a new song that plays during the main game.
- Slightly wider lasers, reduces cheap deaths at the finish line.
- Minor graphics update to score border.
- Fixed scrolling bug on High Scores list when a guitar controller is plugged in.

Space is a dangerous placed for even the most seasoned starship pilot, full of asteroids, multicolored floating blocks, and space mines. It's even more dangerous when you your accelerator is stuck to the floor and your brakes are out. Can you survive long enough to get that elusive high score or are you destined to add a new crater to the face of an unsuspecting asteroid? Find out in this retro gaming tour de force featuring 10 Waves (forward and reverse), 5 game modes, 1 to 4 player co-op, and online high scores.

Wait, so this is just an event about upcoming indie games? I thought it was supposed to be a sale on ones that were already out. Some of these titles do look like they are worth a try though. Hmmm

It's an event similar to the summer of arcade, but more on a grassroots scale. A bunch of indie developers basically banding together to promote each other.

There is only 1 game (hypership out of control) that is an update, and the rest are brand new titles.

We have a review of Epic Dugeon up on Armless Octopus now. I played for about 10 minutes last night (I wasn't the reviewer), and I liked it a lot so far. It's super action-heavy though, and there is always that one-death=game over syndrome that makes it exciting, but also a bit stressful.

http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2010/12/01/winter-uprising-review-epic-dungeon/

Epic Dungeon is fun. I did a ? on level 10 which resulted in a goblin picking the pocket of 2 ogres and the ogres then waking up and one shotting me. It appears to have a lot of unique monsters, not sure what the deepest level or when the new monster types stop appearing.

Break Limit isn't really my style of game. It's like Hypership out of control, which I didn't really like.

[quote name='WTPolaris']I picked up Epic Dungeon yesterday and think it's definitely worth a dollar. Certainly one of the more approachable yet fun Rogue-likes to come along on the xbox(since we didn't get demon's souls :( )[/QUOTE]
What other roguelikes have been on 360? I'm a fan of 'em on PC, and came to this thread since I was interested in Epic Dungeon. Didn't know there were any others out there on the console.

[quote name='moonknight25']Break Limit is up and its a pretty good shump. It changes directions similar to Shoot 1up and is a good deal at only 80 points. The update to Hypership Out of Control is up as well and I just need to re-download it to see the new features![/QUOTE]

Break Limit is a lot of fun, Epic Dungeon is pretty good to just zone out on, and Ubergridder is a nice surprise. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

For some reason I thought Alpha Shooter was one of the games, and it's not bad either. For a buck you get a good Geo Wars clone that also as an Asteroids style gametype.

[quote name='wakawakawa']Epic Dungeon is fun. I did a ? on level 10 which resulted in a goblin picking the pocket of 2 ogres and the ogres then waking up and one shotting me. It appears to have a lot of unique monsters, not sure what the deepest level or when the new monster types stop appearing.[/QUOTE]

I made it to floor 23 and decided to test my luck on the ? tile. It spawned a horde of undead (ie every tile was full more or less) that while I managed to kill maybe about 75% of them, they far outnumbered me and just utterly destroyed me after using freeze a bunch and spamming potions. ~_~

[quote name='SqueeMK2']What other roguelikes have been on 360? I'm a fan of 'em on PC, and came to this thread since I was interested in Epic Dungeon. Didn't know there were any others out there on the console.[/QUOTE]

Dungeon Adventure is the only one I know of. As far as Diablo clones go there's Sacred 2 and I thought Torchlight was supposed to be out before the end of the year. But buy Epic Dungeon twice.

I bought Epic Dungeon and it's fun, though I think I prefer turn-based, if that's the right words, rogue-likes. Still, certainly worth a buck.

[quote name='Survivalism']Dungeon Adventure is the only one I know of. As far as Diablo clones go there's Sacred 2 and I thought Torchlight was supposed to be out before the end of the year. But buy Epic Dungeon twice.[/QUOTE]

Sacred 2 is a lot of fun. It's incredibly complex with lots of items/spells, and its great co-op (and has local).

Here I was going to say how terrible I thought Sacred 2 was because of how little they explain to you about how any of the systems work(I had to look up how to dual wield!) and direction wise it's all over the place. It was also cheesy as all get out and though the characters are "different." it still didn't feel right playing as a bad character running into town to do quests for all the people in town to get on their good side and make money. If I'm supposed to be "evil" why am I doing favors for the townsfolk unless I'm immediately lining up a sacrifice of some kind afterwards?!

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread :)

[quote name='WTPolaris']Here I was going to say how terrible I thought Sacred 2 was because of how little they explain to you about how any of the systems work(I had to look up how to dual wield!) and direction wise it's all over the place. It was also cheesy as all get out and though the characters are "different." it still didn't feel right playing as a bad character running into town to do quests for all the people in town to get on their good side and make money. If I'm supposed to be "evil" why am I doing favors for the townsfolk unless I'm immediately lining up a sacrifice of some kind afterwards?!

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread :)[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Well, I can't really argue. It's not a perfect game, but it's a lot of fun if you're looking for a dungeon crawler. It's complex, and has WAY too many stupid missions, and the story is super generic, but you do gets tons of weapons, skill points, etc. My roommate and I had a lot of fun playing through it.

On the topic at hand, Ubergridder and Break Point were released for the winter uprising. I haven't had a chance to play either yet though.

[quote name='Rooster752']Hahaha. Well, I can't really argue. It's not a perfect game, but it's a lot of fun if you're looking for a dungeon crawler. It's complex, and has WAY too many stupid missions, and the story is super generic, but you do gets tons of weapons, skill points, etc. My roommate and I had a lot of fun playing through it.

On the topic at hand, Ubergridder and Break Point were released for the winter uprising. I haven't had a chance to play either yet though.[/QUOTE]

Sacred 2 is good time if you don't have high expectations and get it cheap.

Ubergridder is more fun than I expected. It's pretty simple and some of the AI pathing is suspect at times, but I find myself trying to get further each time. Same with Break Point, which does a great job with balancing smashing through things with trying to avoid getting hit by things.

The game I'm looking forward to the most, Cthulul Saves the World, should be out sometime this month. Sounds like he's aiming to have it before the end of the month to take advantage of the interest in the Indie Games Uprising. Sounds like the game will not be 80 points, though.

[quote name='utopianmachine']The game I'm looking forward to the most, Cthulul Saves the World, should be out sometime this month. Sounds like he's aiming to have it before the end of the month to take advantage of the interest in the Indie Games Uprising. Sounds like the game will not be 80 points, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they did say from the outset that it would be 240 points which is still a pretty small price to pay for an 8-10 hour game. It actually kind of sucks for a lot of XBLIG devs because 80 point games are the only way they are able to get even mediocre sales yet that is such a low price point that even with high sales they still make piss for money.

Looking forward to it also. Been playing a lot of Epic Dungeon and it's pretty goddamn swell so far as well.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']It actually kind of sucks for a lot of XBLIG devs because 80 point games are the only way they are able to get even mediocre sales yet that is such a low price point that even with high sales they still make piss for money.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to the Angry Birds folks (iOS, Android, probably other platforms). They've made a killing on 99 cent games. Of course the App Store works a lot better for those kinds of games then the Indie store.

Is this a sale or a big ad? It seems more like something Microsoft should have been doing for these indie developers all along.

[quote name='crunchewy']Tell that to the Angry Birds folks (iOS, Android, probably other platforms). They've made a killing on 99 cent games. Of course the App Store works a lot better for those kinds of games then the Indie store.[/QUOTE]

Yea I think that is the problem. The phone app stores have many more potential users. XBLIG has both regular 360 releases and XBLA releases to compete with and XBLIG gets very little press from MS. On top of that, it takes a lot more effort to make a quality living room console game than it does to make a smaller scale phone app/game.

[quote name='Eazy7']Is this a sale or a big ad? It seems more like something Microsoft should have been doing for these indie developers all along.[/QUOTE]

It is a community run event. Microsoft has nothing to do with it. One of the XBLIG developers (Zeboyd) decided to take submissions and choose the games, advertise them and attempt to get everyone to release around the same time period. Unfortunately, XBLIG developers cannot choose a release date and the games simply come out when they pass peer review automatically so things are kind of trickling out instead of all coming out at once.

[quote name='crunchewy']Tell that to the Angry Birds folks (iOS, Android, probably other platforms). They've made a killing on 99 cent games. Of course the App Store works a lot better for those kinds of games then the Indie store.[/QUOTE]

Apple also promotes the hell out of the App Store.

[quote name='Eazy7']Is this a sale or a big ad? It seems more like something Microsoft should have been doing for these indie developers all along.[/QUOTE]

It's more like a promotion a la Summer of Arcade gone indie. Many of the games are already $1, so I'm not sure what kind of sale you're looking for..

Cthulhu has been sorta delayed, and he's hoping to get it out by the end of the year. Given the quality of Breath of Death 7, $3 will be more than fair for this game.

Ubergridder review here: http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2010/12/06/winter-uprising-review-ubergridder/

[quote name='moonknight25']Decimation X3 and Asteroids Do Concern Me are up and Decimation is freaking awesome!!![/QUOTE]

ADCM feels more like a flash game though. Some fun art and music with the different modes, and only a buck, but it's not the strongest title so far.

[quote name='moonknight25']Decimation X3 and Asteroids Do Concern Me are up and Decimation is freaking awesome!!![/QUOTE]I have to agree with you on Decimation. I'm actually thinking about purchasing it. The background music is almost worth the asking price for this title.

I'm going to check out Decimation X3 soonish. I watched the video of ADCM and it's just a "cave" game. I've got free cave games on my iPhone and that's definitely enough. Of course I say that, but I might end up buying it anyway. :)

ZP2KX is out... as is Crossfire 2

ZP2KX isn't in the Indie Games channel yet, but you can purchase it on your computer with the link from the Indie Uprising website.

I bought it and tried to play online, but it seems no one has this game yet :) Once it appears in the indie games channel on the xbox there should be a community for it. For $1 you can't go wrong.

Got the trial of Crossfire 2 and its great fun for $1. I plan on getting it soon along with all the other Radiangames titles. They are all a lot of fun and priced at a dollar each.

Sacred 2 has a story? I've played it for about a million hours and this whole time I thought the story was "kill stuff, loot, kill bigger stuff." Which is precisely why I like it, it's not a masterpiece but MOAR LOOT.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Chu's Dynasty looks like a really polished platformer for an Indie game.[/QUOTE]

It's a fighting game like sort of like Smash Bros, but with only 4 characters and the fighting system is less reliant on special moves/weapons. It's good.

Well I'm not technically part of the Winter Uprising but my game finally made it through peer review. I hope you guys don't mind me pimping it, but I figure I have been a member long enough :)

http://www.thepocketofresistance.com/games.aspx

It is a block game, kind of a cross between Lumines and Puzzle Fighter. Only 80 points.

If I get enough hate for the obvious marketing I will pull this off :)

Indie games is a hard market, plus Microsoft doesn't make it easier with the restrictions, lack of press, and constant moving of our page, but if anyone is interested I would recommend trying it. Lots of fun to be had and a great developer community.

I was surprised to see earlier on the dashboard that MS had featured the Winter Uprising games in a place of their own on the Spotlight page. I was kinda impressed. Kudos to MS for supporting indie developers!

bread's done
Back