Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of information would you guys like to see in the body of each game's listing? Currently there is the developer, publisher, regions and special notes. I'm going to add links to where you can buy each game.

Anything else?

They have msrp $29.99 so it's $23.99 even though it should be $15.99 after Prime. Looks like Amazon needs fix this issue.
It's really strange all around. Best Buy has it listed for $29.99, and Gamestop has it $29.99 crossed out and $19.99.

It's like the MSRP is $29.99 but they're launching with it $10 off, which doesn't really make sense. And ruins the extra 20% off at Amazon I was waiting for.

Why put PAL stuff in there like Lucius and animia?

Why put stuff in like mighty no 9? Not exactly obscure or limited at all. Any game thats sold at lamestop, bestbuy, meijer, walmart, target and amazon isnt really limited or obscure at all.

Half of that wiki post could be carved out. I dont like all the images being spoilered either because that helps give me an idea of if I want to look at something and Im not going to click on every single spoiler tag to see if it strikes my fancy.

You dont even have links to places where you can order the games.

Nothing has a description which is odd since you seem to be making a dictionary of just random games and not really doing anything for deals or good prices which makes me wonder why this is in the deals section.

I like the other thread we already had going.

Honestly we would have better results just going to amazon, finding a smaller named game, clicking on it and then look at the "you might also like" results showing similar games.

Why put PAL stuff in there like Lucius and animia?

Why put stuff in like mighty no 9? Not exactly obscure or limited at all. Any game thats sold at lamestop, bestbuy, meijer, walmart, target and amazon isnt really limited or obscure at all.

Half of that wiki post could be carved out. I dont like all the images being spoilered either because that helps give me an idea of if I want to look at something and Im not going to click on every single spoiler tag to see if it strikes my fancy.

You dont even have links to places where you can order the games.

Nothing has a description which is odd since you seem to be making a dictionary of just random games and not really doing anything for deals or good prices which makes me wonder why this is in the deals section.

I like the other thread we already had going.

Honestly we would have better results just going to amazon, finding a smaller named game, clicking on it and then look at the "you might also like" results showing similar games.
"Why put PAL stuff in there like Lucius and animia?"

Because they're region free.

"Why put stuff in like mighty no 9? Not exactly obscure or limited at all."

It's a "smaller" indie title that makes it on principle.

"Half of that wiki post could be carved out. I dont like all the images being spoilered either because that helps give me an idea of if I want to look at something and Im not going to click on every single spoiler tag to see if it strikes my fancy."

Sucks to be you. The list is already going to be massive. I'm not unspoilering the images to increase its size by a factor of 10 because you're too lazy to click a button.

"You dont even have links to places where you can order the games."

I've said, multiple times, that these will be added.

"Nothing has a description which is odd since you seem to be making a dictionary of just random games and not really doing anything for deals or good prices which makes me wonder why this is in the deals section."

First, they're not random games. Second, you want me to post a description of every game? This already takes a lot of time to do. Go look shit up. Stop being fuckin' lazy. Third, as stated in the original post, this is a place for people to identify that these games exist and to post deals regarding them.

"I like the other thread we already had going."

You're free to fuck right off to it.

"Honestly we would have better results just going to amazon, finding a smaller named game, clicking on it and then look at the "you might also like" results showing similar games."

Many people have already said that this thread has helped them and I'm not anywhere near done with it. So, by all means, if you have a better resource, use it.

At what point in a seven paragraph bitchfest does one typically say, "you know, it might just be easier to ignore this thread?"

Updated the list with all (I think I got them all) currently released LRG titles and a few upcoming ones. I'll have to revisit their forum to find any upcoming titles.

Almost done with my part of the "master list". I have a few more things to comb through, then I'll start working on the first post and adding games that people point out.

Personally as someone who follows the 'other' threads, I'm all fore this one.  The more info out there the better.  Not every thread catches every single little thing.  Hell I didn't even know Lucius had a physical release anywhere til this thread.  Yeah it's still a little rough, but that goes for anything that still a work in progress.  Bottom line is the OP is taking time and energy out of his schedule to do this and I fore one thank him for it.

Personally as someone who follows the 'other' threads, I'm all fore this one. The more info out there the better. Not every thread catches every single little thing. Hell I didn't even know Lucius had a physical release anywhere til this thread. Yeah it's still a little rough, but that goes for anything that still a work in progress. Bottom line is the OP is taking time and energy out of his schedule to do this and I fore one thank him for it.
giphy.gif

I also appreciate this thread. It's getting harder to keep track of all of the games being released between LRG/Fangamer and now iam8bit, let alone obscure titles released with little to no fanfare on Amazon.

I didn't know Goat Simulator was released on Xbox One.  Too bad I can't find a retailer that carries it at a reasonable price.  I refuse to pay more than $20 for a physical copy of that.

I have been avoiding the low print run physical titles because by the time I have enough money for one.  The title is either sold out and/or went up in price.

This is amazing, thank you so much.

I like having the images spoilered, especially with the size that this list will become. Keep up the good work!

Anyone know where the physical version of River City: Tokyo Rumble will be available to purchase?
Bull Moose & Play Asia currently have the US version up for pre-order. Considering it's not a big title I'd expect it to start showing up at Amazon and what not closer to the release date.

Bull Moose & Play Asia currently have the US version up for pre-order. Considering it's not a big title I'd expect it to start showing up at Amazon and what not closer to the release date.
There is no confirmed release date yet. Natsume just said September in early August. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed from September just like Shantae 3DS has been.

Idk if you wanna count the 2 atari collection discs that'll be dropping. They're budget and will probably be under the radar for the most part. Also wild guns Reloaded.

Edit: nvm I see wild guns now. But also shovel Knight is coming to vita too.

Are you guys sure Wild Guns: Reloaded PS4 is PlayAsia Exclusive? I have yet to see any evidence.
Play Asia was the only retailer to have it listed for a while, but other retailers are starting to list it now. Patiently waiting for Best Buy or Amazon for that 20% off discount.

Speaking of which, today is the last day for the 20% off discount for Among the Sleep (PS4) on Amazon ($15.99):

https://www.amazon.com/Among-Sleep-PlayStation-4/dp/B01IPARS7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1472464029&sr=1-1&keywords=among+the+sleep

Coming out this week:

Assault Suit Leynos (PS4) - $19.99 before Prime discount

https://www.amazon.com/Assault-Suit-Leynos-PlayStation-4/dp/B01JLGAV3Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1472464061&sr=1-6

Lumo (PS4) - $19.99 before Prime discount

https://www.amazon.com/Lumo-PlayStation-4/dp/B01JLGBAAW/ref=sr_1_26?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1472464124&sr=1-26&refinements=p_69%3A1y-7y

For the record, I'll eventually be putting the deals that people post in this thread on the first post. Still working on things.

I pre-ordered assault Suit Leynos on Amazon. We'll see if it actually releases on time. A lot of these low key games get pushed back and aren't mentioned until last minute.

Wii U version sold out already?
I doubt it. Most likely they stopped preorders because there is no firm release date anymore and it will likely be released in 2017 like the 3ds version if at all. I've noticed Amazon has started doing this for smaller run games in some cases even cancelling my preorders once the release date slips massively or becomes uncertain.

There could be a possibility in which the Wii U version will be out in October and the New 3DS version will release next year.

Isn't Assault Suit Leynos only supposed to be an hour long?
Isn't that kind of a standard length for a SHMUP? They're usually pretty short if you play on the easiest difficulty. Lengthy playtimes come out of challenging yourself to complete the game on the highest difficulties.

Isn't that kind of a standard length for a SHMUP? They're usually pretty short if you play on the easiest difficulty. Lengthy playtimes come out of challenging yourself to complete the game on the highest difficulties.
Yeah it's not unreasonable by any means and I may just be remembering the original being so much longer because it was so long ago.

Looks like Aragami is getting a physical US release for PS4 in October.  It's being called a "collector's edition" on the Amazon listing for whatever that's worth.   

Child of Light qualifies for this list. Was released physically on Vita in NA and EU (not sure about Asia).
Adding it soon. If anyone can confirm details about which version has DLC, I'll add them.

Currently thinking of listing formats for the deals and pre-orders sections.

bread's done
Back