Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signature Edition games doesn't seem as compelling to me. For one, Aragami is getting a US physical release for less and you can order a copy of Super Meat Boy right now from Amazon UK (or even Amazon US where I got mine.)

I'm curious what makes their version of Super Meat Boy different than the UK version I ordered for $29 vs. their $38 plus shipping.

Signature Edition games doesn't seem as compelling to me. For one, Aragami is getting a US physical release for less and you can order a copy of Super Meat Boy right now from Amazon UK (or even Amazon US where I got mine.)

I'm curious what makes their version of Super Meat Boy different than the UK version I ordered for $29 vs. their $38 plus shipping.
https://signatureeditiongames.com/pages/about

"Our games will be truly limited as we will only manufacture once and in limited quantities. We believe our games will be highly collectable and we aim to offer fans all sorts of extras in the shape of one-off soundtracks, art books, stickers, figures and the like. In addition, true to its name, all Signature Edition Games will feature the autographs of the teams behind your favourite games."

"Our games will be truly limited as we will only manufacture once and in limited quantities. We believe our games will be highly collectable and we aim to offer fans all sorts of extras in the shape of one-off soundtracks, art books, stickers, figures and the like. In addition, true to its name, all Signature Edition Games will feature the autographs of the teams behind your favourite games."
That's cool, just not as appealing to me. I mostly care about owning a physical copy of a game and less about "extras." However, if they release something that is not available physically elsewhere then I'll definitely order.

My only issue with them is that they don't tell how you how many copies they're making (which is nothing new, only LRG does that). That first sentence doesn't really give us much... fine, it's only printed once but it makes a huge difference if they make 1,000 copies or 10,000 copies.

I did order the Aragami CE, it looks cool and the cost about $15 more than the regular NA release.

I added Duke Nukem to the master list. Unfortunately I'm in Florida and am about to get fucked up by hurricane Matthew, so I'll be out of commission for a while, yet. Hope to see some new stuff when I get power back.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but there's an new company in the limited print games business.
https://signatureeditiongames.com/

They're in the UK but do ship to the US.
They've been around for about a month now and have sold about 274 copies out of 1000 of their first game.

Just a heads up, everything they release has a standard, non-limited (and likely overprinted) retail release. Also, the titular signatures are preprinted on the packaging and not unique. I've almost bought Aragami a few times but just can't bring myself to do it when you can get the standard retail edition for $23.99.

Also, they've dropped the price by $3 since it originally went up for sale. Seems like it will keep going lower if you hold out.

They've been around for about a month now and have sold about 274 copies out of 1000 of their first game.

Just a heads up, everything they release has a standard, non-limited (and likely overprinted) retail release. Also, the titular signatures are preprinted on the packaging and not unique. I've almost bought Aragami a few times but just can't bring myself to do it when you can get the standard retail edition for $23.99.

Also, they've dropped the price by $3 since it originally went up for sale. Seems like it will keep going lower if you hold out.
WOW, this is a perfect example of what to do(LRG), and what not to do(SEG). Why the hell would I want a preprinted signature on a retail game I can get elsewhere cheaper? Did they really think something like that was going to fly off the shelves?

Sadly, common sense isn't always that common.

To be fair, it's more then just signatures. They are essentially selling exclusive mini-CEs or Day One editions. The extras are just a bit too pricey for my tastes

The main turn off with me for them is they are a British company so are selling the European versions of games. I'm almost exclusively a North American collector and that huge PEGI rating on the cover is a turnoff. Though if they were like LRG and didn't include any rating I would be fine with it (if the shipping cost wasn't too high).

To be fair, it's more then just signatures. They are essentially selling exclusive mini-CEs or Day One editions. The extras are just a bit too pricey for my tastes
I bought a copy and it cost me about $20 more than what a copy on Amazon would have cost (after Prime discount). Not really that much more given it's a CE and an import. LRG sells soundtracks for $15 standalone whereas this is $20 more for a soundtrack (granted, it's slim-ish case vs jewel case) and artbook which looks decent size based on the unboxing video.

With that said, if they only made 1,000 and still can't sell out after all this time, they're fucking something up.

The main turn off with me for them is they are a British company so are selling the European versions of games. I'm almost exclusively a North American collector and that huge PEGI rating on the cover is a turnoff. Though if they were like LRG and didn't include any rating I would be fine with it (if the shipping cost wasn't too high).
As much as I'm OCD about not having GH games (with a few exceptions), the ratings logos never bothered me that much. Plus, I don't think it's on the spine.

I think the signature editions are fairly cool. I'd guess that their problem is that they are the equivalent of "day one" editions, which are normally sold at the same price as a standard edition.

I do feel a bit bad for them, that they're not doing very well. I love owning soundtracks and artbooks for games... but I do prefer to own NTSC-U copies of games. I'd buy the Aragami signature edition if it were the North America's region. Maybe I'll get the Meatboy one, since as of now, it's only avaialble in the PAL region.

I think the signature editions are fairly cool. I'd guess that their problem is that they are the equivalent of "day one" editions, which are normally sold at the same price as a standard edition.

I do feel a bit bad for them, that they're not doing very well. I love owning soundtracks and artbooks for games... but I do prefer to own NTSC-U copies of games. I'd buy the Aragami signature edition if it were the North America's region. Maybe I'll get the Meatboy one, since as of now, it's only avaialble in the PAL region.
I'm wondering why their coverage is almost non-existent... I haven't seen/heard anything about them. I found out about them via the comments section of an article about LRG on Hardcore gamer.:lol:

I'm wondering why their coverage is almost non-existent... I haven't seen/heard anything about them. I found out about them via the comments section of an article about LRG on Hardcore gamer. :lol:
Well, the first problem I see, is that they don't ship worldwide, and the second issue is the fact that this really isn't anything special that can't be had elsewhere. Their trying to add some xeroxed signatures and hoping that's going to add value, and it's not.

LRG is actually making something that can't be had by any other means, and qty's are very limited. Those two things alone are all it takes for their success.

Well, the first problem I see, is that they don't ship worldwide, and the second issue is the fact that this really isn't anything special that can't be had elsewhere. Their trying to add some xeroxed signatures and hoping that's going to add value, and it's not.

LRG is actually making something that can't be had by any other means, and qty's are very limited. Those two things alone are all it takes for their success.
They do ship internationally... their FAQ says they ship anywhere.

And I can't speak for what's gonna happen with Super Meat Boy, but as far as I can tell, Aragami is coming with a OST and artbook that's not available physically anywhere else outside of the CE that's exclusive of Game.es (who doesn't ship outside the EU). I agree the whole signature thing is stupid though... would have rather just had an artcell or poster or something.

I think their mistake is multi-fold:
1. They are second to the market. Hard to edge your way in when many collectors are already committed to LRG.
2. Lack of marketing. Not much hype surrounding this release.
3. Lack of Vita release. Vita has a cult following with lots of completionists. PS4 does not.
4. Competing against an existing retail release.

I'm sure there are more but that's what I see so far. I hope they turn it around. Competition is good for us gamers / backlog builders.

So with all the ragging on everything that Signature Edition Games are doing wrong, I did want to say that I got my copy of Aragami today. 

They're clearly modeling their company off of LRG, from the design of the website to the "card" that's included with the games. With that said, I did appreciate that they shipped my game in a cardboard wrap thingy rather than a bubble mailer (still arrived slightly crushed on one side but likely would have been in much worse shape if it was shipped in a bubble mailer) and even included a little baggie of Haribo gummies.:lol:  

They've got a lot of work to do, since Aragami is still in stock but I wish them luck. I think they bought themselves another shot in my book. I'll likely buy Super Meat Boy depending on what's included and look forward to seeing what else they release. 

So with all the ragging on everything that Signature Edition Games are doing wrong, I did want to say that I got my copy of Aragami today.

They're clearly modeling their company off of LRG, from the design of the website to the "card" that's included with the games. With that said, I did appreciate that they shipped my game in a cardboard wrap thingy rather than a bubble mailer (still arrived slightly crushed on one side but likely would have been in much worse shape if it was shipped in a bubble mailer) and even included a little baggie of Haribo gummies.:lol:

They've got a lot of work to do, since Aragami is still in stock but I wish them luck. I think they bought themselves another shot in my book. I'll likely buy Super Meat Boy depending on what's included and look forward to seeing what else they release.
They're pretty much going to release everything their parent company (Merge) releases. Their Twitter account has all but announced Hopiko, Sub-Level Zero, and Slain.

We actually originally had Slain signed at LRG but the publisher of it (Digerati) really wanted to do a mass-produced retail release after the LRG release. I felt really uneasy about that and ultimately we mutually terminated our agreement.

FWIW though we've shipped anything packaged in cardboard in a box by default (Octodad ties, Saturday Morning RPG vinyl, and our upcoming Silver Case release). If we had a game packaged like the Aragami signature edition, we'd ship it in a box too. :)

Not enough games get damaged from the bubble mailer to justify charging everyone an extra $2 in shipping to cover the weight and assembly a box would require. Due to the weight of sturdy corrogated boxes, international customers would be stuck paying $22 on shipments and domestic would need to be at least $6 or $7. Not worth it when the only major issue we have (loose discs) is a problem with Sony's cases and not our choice of packaging.

How's the art book?
Not sure I'll open my copy, honestly. I'm likely gonna get it on Steam when it's on sale. There's a few unboxing vids online and it looks like something that companies used to give out as freebies for preordering... paper quality looks good but it's definitely thin. Here's one in English, jump to 1:50 mark to see her flip through it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqIBuPs2LWg

They're pretty much going to release everything their parent company (Merge) releases. Their Twitter account has all but announced Hopiko, Sub-Level Zero, and Slain.

We actually originally had Slain signed at LRG but the publisher of it (Digerati) really wanted to do a mass-produced retail release after the LRG release. I felt really uneasy about that and ultimately we mutually terminated our agreement.

FWIW though we've shipped anything packaged in cardboard in a box by default (Octodad ties, Saturday Morning RPG vinyl, and our upcoming Silver Case release). If we had a game packaged like the Aragami signature edition, we'd ship it in a box too. :)

Not enough games get damaged from the bubble mailer to justify charging everyone an extra $2 in shipping to cover the weight and assembly a box would require. Due to the weight of sturdy corrogated boxes, international customers would be stuck paying $22 on shipments and domestic would need to be at least $6 or $7. Not worth it when the only major issue we have (loose discs) is a problem with Sony's cases and not our choice of packaging.
The whole shipping in a box thing wasn't a knock against you guys but more to acknowledge that SEG is considerate to collectors, even if they can't get anything else right. Generally, any time I order a CE from Europe, they get shipped in fucking bubble mailers even though I'm paying way more than 3.50 GBP that SEG charged for shipping (looking you Game, HMV and Amazon UK). I'm glad these guys actually shipped in cardboard vs bubble mailer.

Sucks you guys lost out on Slain, the game looks badass, but cool of you guys cut it off to stand by your company mantra. :D

Thanks for the video, but it's brutal when people focus the camera on themselves instead of the product.
Most female reviewers do so because they want the attention. They review games and make themselves very visible because they know most guys want to look at a girl and they get a lot of attention and repeat views from male gamers. They can easily build a fan base and love the attention of guys how awesome she is for being a girl gamer and she is cool, etc.

The worst though is that girl I'd seen who plays call of duty in a bikini.

I saw a Copy oF Geometry Wars 3: Evolved PS4 @ Gamestop. I tried looking who carried it, and i could only Find toys R Us, and GS. 

Also, a copy oF Pac-Man Championship 2 is coming out For PS4. 

I saw a Copy oF Geometry Wars 3: Evolved PS4 @ Gamestop. I tried looking who carried it, and i could only Find toys R Us, and GS.

Also, a copy oF Pac-Man Championship 2 is coming out For PS4.
Target carries the disc version of Geometry Wars 3 as well both online and in certain stores.

The new Wild Guns: Reloaded PS4 game is supposed to have a physical release in NA through Natsume, but no one besides Play Asia has it listed yet.  I wonder if Natsume is mainly going to sell it through their Amazon store and other small retailers (like Bull Moose) like they did with River City Tokyo Rumble.

The new Wild Guns: Reloaded PS4 game is supposed to have a physical release in NA through Natsume, but no one besides Play Asia has it listed yet. I wonder if Natsume is mainly going to sell it through their Amazon store and other small retailers (like Bull Moose) like they did with River City Tokyo Rumble.
Also check out videogamesplus.ca. They have it up for pre-order right now with cheaper shipping compared to Play Asia for US shipping.

Master list updated with:

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved

Overcooked - Gourmet Edition

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2

Slain: Back From Hell

I also condensed the opening on the first post. I could use some feedback. Does the first post clearly get across the point of the thread?

In fairness, so are Pac-Man CE and Geometry Wars in the sense that they have or will have national distribution and they are from two of the largest video game companies in the world.
I feel you, sometimes the line can be a bit blurry. I added Pac-Man and Geometry Wars because they are originally digital only titles who weren't guaranteed to see any form of physical release.

Master list updated with:

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved

Overcooked - Gourmet Edition

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2

Slain: Back From Hell

I also condensed the opening on the first post. I could use some feedback. Does the first post clearly get across the point of the thread?
Aren't you following the LRG thread on Neogaf ? We were just talking about these games :)

Your list was really useful to me last week, when I was making my own one ! May I suggest a few PS4/Vita games that fit my definition of "Smaller/Obscure/Limited" (tell me if it fits yours) :

Vita :
- Soul Sacrifice Delta (ASIA)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth (NTSC)
- Retro City Rampage DX (NTSC)

- Oreshika Tainted Bloodlines (ASIA)

- Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (ASIA)

- Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (ASIA)

PS4 :

- Retro City Rampage DX (NTSC)

- Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (ASIA)
- Hotline Miami Collected Edition (JAP)
- Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse (PAL)
- Journey Collector's Edition (PAL)
- Megaman Legacy Collection (NTSC)
- Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (ASIA)
- Republique (PAL)
- Adam's Venture Origins (PAL)
- Gundam Breaker 3 (ASIA)
- Shadow Warrior (PAL)

- Super Robot Taisen OG: The Moon Dweller (ASIA)

- Caladrius Blaze (ASIA)

- Dead Rising 1 & 2 ? (NTSC)

- Super Stardust Ultra (PAL)

- Killing Floor 2 (NTSC)

- Lucius (region unclear) (quality unclear)

- Realms of Arkania : Blade of Destiny HD (region unclear) (quality unclear)

- Don't Starve (region unclear)

Keep in mind that I'm a PAL user, so what's between parenthesis is what's the most interesting to me (it doesn't represent every regions where games have been released).

For example if it says ASIA you can be confident it hasn't released in the US or EU. If it says NTSC : it wasn't out in Europe. If it says PAL, well... it won't learn you much ^^

I'll be following this thread closely :D

Aren't you following the LRG thread on Neogaf ? We were just talking about these games :)
Actually, no. I've never really frequented Neogaf. Nothing against the site, just never bothered to visit. I'll comb throw the games you recommended as soon as I get a chance. Thanks, and I'm glad this thread helped you out.

The internet is a big place, it was just coincidental then :)

I can't vouch for all of Neogaf, I've only subscribed recently, but the LRG topic is very active.

By the way there are a few visual novels in your master list which haven't been announced if I'm not mistaken. Haven't they only announced Narcissu ?

You're better off, trust me.
I've never really understood Neogaf I guess.

I "applied" to get an account there once several years ago. They took forever to respond to me and ended up denying me a membership. I remember it was around the 2011-2012 time frame I think because everybody was losing their mind over some guy on there that was supposedly leaking which characters were going to be included in Super Street Fighter 4.

I don't have any criminal record nor have I ever been banned from any other internet site so I was wondering why they wouldn't grant me an account, and was told by someone (maybe on here?) that "they really only want industry people" on Neogaf. I haven't tried to get a membership there again since.

I've never really understood Neogaf I guess.

I "applied" to get an account there once several years ago. They took forever to respond to me and ended up denying me a membership. I remember it was around the 2011-2012 time frame I think because everybody was losing their mind over some guy on there that was supposedly leaking which characters were going to be included in Super Street Fighter 4.

I don't have any criminal record nor have I ever been banned from any other internet site so I was wondering why they wouldn't grant me an account, and was told by someone (maybe on here?) that "they really only want industry people" on Neogaf. I haven't tried to get a membership there again since.
Did you use an ISP email address? They might've denied you if you used a really common email provider like gmail, hotmail, etc. They approve pretty much everyone that registers, but it can take from a few days to months lol

Did you use an ISP email address? They might've denied you if you used a really common email provider like gmail, hotmail, etc. They approve pretty much everyone that registers, but it can take from a few days to months lol
I likely just used my gmail account. I think I have a time warner cable email that I never use, but I'd prefer not to bother with it because I have everything going through gmail. So maybe that was the reason I was denied then, but they didn't explain it. At this point I don't care enough to bother with it. I only have enough time for CAG and a couple other sites.

Not sure if this would be the right place to mention it here but I need some quick help.

Gajinworks sent an email stating that there will be another reprint for Class of Heroes 2G and I cannot find the link to purchase it anywhere

You're receiving this notice because you signed up for our Class of Heroes 2G for PlayStation 3 poll and indicated you wanted to purchase one or more copies of the limited-edition physical game.

We wanted to let you know that presales of the game will be live on www.gaijinworks.com starting tomorrow at 12:00 PST and will remain open for one month. After this period closes, we will gently and lovingly manufacture only enough product to cover the amount ordered, and then the game will only be available digitally on PSN until our contract runs out, or the apocalypse/rapture arrives, whichever comes first. Check the website main page tomorrow at noon for more details!

Thanks for your support!

GAIJINWORKS

That's good, but I'm done buying from Gaijinworks until they get rid of Amazon Payments.  Lost my Summon Night 5 payment because the game never arrived, they never answer emails, and Amazon couldn't help because the order was marked as shipped at the time it was paid.

Buyer beware.

bread's done
Back