Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good, but I'm done buying from Gaijinworks until they get rid of Amazon Payments. Lost my Summon Night 5 payment because the game never arrived, they never answer emails, and Amazon couldn't help because the order was marked as shipped at the time it was paid.

Buyer beware.
Thanks again for the warning, as I didn't get in on this before due to your warning. Places that don't or won't respond to messages is a HUGE red flag in my book.

Also, for that price and shipping cost, this just seems way overpriced to me, so I'm going to wait and see if VGP get's any variation, and if not, I'll just be passing on this release.

Not sure if this would be the right place to mention it here but I need some quick help.

Gajinworks sent an email stating that there will be another reprint for Class of Heroes 2G and I cannot find the link to purchase it anywhere

You're receiving this notice because you signed up for our Class of Heroes 2G for PlayStation 3 poll and indicated you wanted to purchase one or more copies of the limited-edition physical game.

We wanted to let you know that presales of the game will be live on www.gaijinworks.com starting tomorrow at 12:00 PST and will remain open for one month. After this period closes, we will gently and lovingly manufacture only enough product to cover the amount ordered, and then the game will only be available digitally on PSN until our contract runs out, or the apocalypse/rapture arrives, whichever comes first. Check the website main page tomorrow at noon for more details!

Thanks for your support!

GAIJINWORKS
Weird... I never got that email even though I signed up for the original 2G print. And is this in addition to the "variant" copy on VGP?

And didn't they say they wouldn't reprint the game the first time?

EDIT*

This is kinda interesting... VGP already scapled copies of the game, and it has the holofoil sticker like the original?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Class-of-Heroes-2G-EXCLUSIVE-D-VARIANT-NEW-PS3-FREE-SHIPPING-BLUS-31461D-/222281812659?hash=item33c1074ab3%3Ag%3Av1MAAOSw8gVYAS0F&nma=true&si=T6OVBIGxKIJi7cfaL3LsLcmJbo8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Those are the new reprints. I find it funny how they're scalping their own exclusives.
Ah, I see. This honestly seems pretty wrong... Gaijinworks advertised CoH 2G as 'this game will never get another physical print'... and here it is, the game just got another physical print.

Ah, I see. This honestly seems pretty wrong... Gaijinworks advertised CoH 2G as 'this game will never get another physical print'... and here it is, the game just got another physical print.
Yep. I usually am a strong supporter of reprinting and as many copies as the market will bear, but when you advertise that something will only be printed in the amount of preorders received and you keep those preorders open for a long period of time, I have a real problem with doing a reprint. It also undermines their credibility and makes me far less likely to support their future releases.

If the artwork is different I don't have too much of a problem with it.  I already have the first release but if someone who missed it the first time doesn't have to pay $200 for a copy of it, I'm all for it.  Who knows, I may be in that boat one day.

If the artwork is different I don't have too much of a problem with it. I already have the first release but if someone who missed it the first time doesn't have to pay $200 for a copy of it, I'm all for it. Who knows, I may be in that boat one day.
Artwork looks the same... I think they noted the only difference is the blue vs purple boxes in the box of the case. Otherwise, cases are identical, even with the sticker.

Ok, here's my thing with how Gaijin is doing this:

1. They said this would only get 1 physical run. They lied.

2. Everyone had a chance to get this at a reasonable price. This was available for preorder for an entire month and they made enough copies for everyone. If you wanted a copy, you could have bought one pretty easily for $45.

I can understand reprints for games where there's a fixed number released and demand exceed supply. I would be salty in those instances b/c I wanted a game and was ready buy but could not b/c someone might have been a few seconds faster to click a button.

Am I upset that, a rare game I had is no longer rare? Yeah, but I know that can happen with every game I own... with remasters and digital releases... that's nothing new to collectors anymore. But in this specific instance, I feel like Gaijin flat out went against their own word.

Not sure that this is a perfect fit, but I picked up a couple of physical PS4 games today that so far appear to be Walmart exclusive in the US.  They are Big Buck Hunter Arcade and Monster Jam Crush It, both of which had an earlier digital release.  They are both by GameMill and don't seem to be up on any of the other major retailer sites.  In fact, Walmart doesn't even have Monster Jam listed on Walmart.com, so it may be in-store only at this point.  

Not sure that this is a perfect fit, but I picked up a couple of physical PS4 games today that so far appear to be Walmart exclusive in the US. They are Big Buck Hunter Arcade and Monster Jam Crush It, both of which had an earlier digital release. They are both by GameMill and don't seem to be up on any of the other major retailer sites. In fact, Walmart doesn't even have Monster Jam listed on Walmart.com, so it may be in-store only at this point.
Sound like they would be perfect for Walmart...what were the prices for each?

Yikes! Well those are going to have to come down a lot in price for me to even consider them. Really want to collect as much physical as I can, but I have to draw the line somewhere.
I would not be surprised if they drop to $15 for Black Friday as they had tons of copies of each at the fairly small store I went to.

First off, sorry for the lack of updates. Shit's been kinda busy.

Not sure that this is a perfect fit, but I picked up a couple of physical PS4 games today that so far appear to be Walmart exclusive in the US. They are Big Buck Hunter Arcade and Monster Jam Crush It, both of which had an earlier digital release. They are both by GameMill and don't seem to be up on any of the other major retailer sites. In fact, Walmart doesn't even have Monster Jam listed on Walmart.com, so it may be in-store only at this point.
Are you sure these guys were previously released as digital only? I looked up Big Buck Hunter Arcade and I could only find that it was released on the 26th. It would definitely make the list if you're sure it had a previously digital only release.

I'm trying to not list games all games that are sub $60. There's just too many of them and most of them are pretty common knowledge. I think mostly for those cheap games, they'll need to be indie or at least have had a previously digital-only launch.

Yeah. And these games seem bad... They fit the title of the topic but would almost deserve their own category ("SOL bad games for those interested" ^^).
But of course the quality of a game can be pretty subjective.

LRG revealed they are going to open preorders in a few days for Skullgirls PS4 & Vita.
NISA America also announced they'll publish Standard and Limited Editions of the Silver Case PS4. Preorders are open on their website.

Updated the list with LRG's latest offerings.

Gotta figure out a format for the pre-order section that gives all relevant information while still being condensed and neat. Any suggestions are welcome. I definitely want to add the platforms for each game, if their availability is limited and in what way.

I'd vouch for Monster Jam: Crush It and Big Buck Hunter Arcade being included on this list as well, at least for now. It seems Wal-Mart is the only store selling these in the U.S. (Best Buy in Canada apparently has copies of Monster Jam selling online, with very limited stock in stores)

How about the Gamestop exclusive Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour that just released?

Tumblestone (PS4, NTSC-U) appears to be an automatic qualifier for this list as well... Has been on PSN for awhile, getting a physical release tomorrow. 

Annoying that Chapter 5 is still a digital download. I get that they were timing the physical release with the release of the last Chapter, but I would've preferred that they delay the physical to get it all on disc.

While at Walmart this morning I noticed that King's Quest: The Complete Collection appears to have gotten a physical release for PS4 and XBox One (and apparently PS3 and XBox 360 too, according to this article):

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/10/kings-quest-the-complete-collection-now-available-at-retailers/15038/
I wonder about the PS3 version if it contains chapters 1-4 like the PS4 and XB1 versions? Would prefer this on Vita, but might get the PS3 version if isn't like the 360 version only having chapter 1 on the disc.

Annoying that Chapter 5 is still a digital download. I get that they were timing the physical release with the release of the last Chapter, but I would've preferred that they delay the physical to get it all on disc.
Yuck, ok thats a no buy for me then if I get the whole game on the disc.

While at Walmart this morning I noticed that King's Quest: The Complete Collection appears to have gotten a physical release for PS4 and XBox One (and apparently PS3 and XBox 360 too, according to this article):

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/10/kings-quest-the-complete-collection-now-available-at-retailers/15038/
It's odd that Walmart keeps getting these releases before everyone else. Target and Toys R Us were taking preorders but the item pages have now been deleted from both websites.

Looks like Gamestop is selling copies for PS4 and XB1 for $39.99. Didn't notice anything on Wal-Mart's website (though they don't have Monster Jam: Crush It! on there either and they definitely stock that in stores)

Two more smaller games here, will probably make the list.

Killing Floor 2

Yesterday Origins

Will also comb through the last few posts soon and update the list accordingly.
Killing Floor 2 is getting a Gamestop exclusive release in the US. Also, Walmart has a previously digital and European release game "Professional Farmer 2017" in stores as of today for Xbox One (probably PS4 as well, but my local store didn't have it) for $30. Not sure if it's exclusive, but I can't find it listed by other retailers yet. It's kind of odd because they also have exclusive DLC for Farming Simulator 2017, but that game is $50.

Killing Floor 2 is getting a Gamestop exclusive release in the US. Also, Walmart has a previously digital and European release game "Professional Farmer 2017" in stores as of today for Xbox One (probably PS4 as well, but my local store didn't have it) for $30. Not sure if it's exclusive, but I can't find it listed by other retailers yet. It's kind of odd because they also have exclusive DLC for Farming Simulator 2017, but that game is $50.
Thanks for the information! Helps a lot.

Wow, it's getting difficult to track all of these physical releases!
Exactly why this thread exists!

checked it out, looks like a vanilla copy since it mentions tables, pro bundles and upgrades will be released regularly

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/killing-floor-2-only-at-gamestop/135989

i saw the killing floor 2 ....thinking of preordering
Killing Floor 2 is on sale at Gamestop for $29.99 for Black Friday, and it's a GS exclusive. If you're interested in it at all, buy it now! I picked up a copy yesterday along with Dark Souls 3 (which was only $20).

Also my copyof Tower of Guns shipped from Amazon as well, should arrive Friday.

Got my copy of Overcooked last week and still need to order copies of Tower of Guns and Deponia to get the 20% Prime discount.

I played Killing Floor 2 for about 3 hours last night so figure I'd leave some impressions for those that might be considering it.

-This game is basically Left 4 Dead 3 in my mind. There's no "campaign" per se, more of a customizable playing environment in which you are given a set of conditions and then faced with extremely difficult odds in the form of waves of increasingly difficult creatures. There are boss characters as well, which add variety. But in a nutshell, this is fast paced FPS chaos.

-The stages are set up to be very claustrophobic yet porous at the same time. There aren't alot of big wide open spaces to run around in like the latest Doom had, but the corridors and darkly lit rooms you venture through are all interconnected so you won't be constantly running into dead ends unless you aren't paying attention to where you are going. The narrow corridors add more suspense as you never know which hallways creatures are going to show up in. It discourages camping and promotes higher energy gameplay in that respect.

-There are several different character classes which can be leveled up to 25 each so the game has some decent replay value. I decided to level up a few classes to at least level 5 before I go online with the game as I don't want to be a weak player that brings down the others on my team. The typical classes are here, such as medic, soldier, sniper, melee expert, etc.

-If all you ever plan to do is single player you should probably pass. I played all single player last night and even though you will eventually start leveling up enough to be able to handle the hordes pretty well alone, most of the fun in this game is going to come from playing co-op. Looks like there's also a creatures vs. humans mode for online play but I didn't get to that. 

Get excited: Professional Farmer 2017 (the "other" Farming game), can be found in full retail glory at Wal-mart. Wouldn't normally mention this, but you can't find info about the NTSC release ANYWHERE online, but some PS4 collectors have found that their Wal-marts have 2-3 copies of it. 

bread's done
Back