Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the versions are different. The EU one has DLC included IIRC
You're correct. The EU version is the "Complete Edition" which includes the DLC on a card. This is the version I have since I imported it thinking they would never release a NA version physically. From what I can see, the NA version is just the "Standard Edition" and no signs of the DLC.

I guess I was one of several who didn't get their copy of Leynos from Amazon despite pre-ordering at least a couple weeks before release. 

Was starting to worry that they seriously oversold pre-orders but then I got the notification last night that it was preparing for shipment and should arrive Tuesday September 6th. 

Better late than never I suppose. 

Republique for PS4 is currently $14 on Amazon but has been as low $9.XX. It's a smaller release I believe and I don't think  I saw it on the list.

I guess I was one of several who didn't get their copy of Leynos from Amazon despite pre-ordering at least a couple weeks before release.

Was starting to worry that they seriously oversold pre-orders but then I got the notification last night that it was preparing for shipment and should arrive Tuesday September 6th.

Better late than never I suppose.
Crap... I was late to order too and my order is still "not yet shipped" with no estimate.

You're correct. The EU version is the "Complete Edition" which includes the DLC on a card. This is the version I have since I imported it thinking they would never release a NA version physically. From what I can see, the NA version is just the "Standard Edition" and no signs of the DLC.
I did the same, and then way after the fact the US version comes out of know where, WTF?!

Then just recently, I saw that the EU version had the DLC included, where the US one did not, so I was still happy to have gotten the EU version.

Great thread, and as others have mentioned, the more information the better.

Shovel Knight should be updated for the Vita version, as orders will probably stop at some point as it's exclusive to Fangamer. http://www.fangamer.com/products/shovel-knight-for-ps-vita

Also, Teslagrad for the US Vita was cancelled, but the EU version is available. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soedesco-SOE00003-Teslagrad-PlayStation-Vita/dp/B00OZAR1FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472941078&sr=8-1&keywords=teslagrad+vita
Information added.

Child of Light added to the master list. Started messing with the pre-order list. Any extra info needed? Format look okay?
I'd say only spoiler tag the images, let everything else be visible by default (and kill the spaces between lines in that info to conserve space). But looks great otherwise. :)

Not sure if you're ready for additions yet, but here are a few I may forget if I don't put them down now. ;)

Battle Fantasia (PS3) - PAL release, was digital only on the PS3 in the US

Battle vs Chess (PS3, 360) - PAL release

Zombi (PS4, XBOne) - PAL release

Killzone Trilogy (PS3) - PAL & Asian-English releases both have Killzone HD on a disk, all 3 games in these sets are on separate disks in their own cases. In the US set, Killzone HD is on the disk with Killzone 2 and you have to install it off of the disk (it doesn't actually run from the disk, tho the disk still has to be in in order to play it). This is the Asia-English version:

28825837633_587f617754_c.jpg

I'd say only spoiler tag the images, let everything else be visible by default (and kill the spaces between lines in that info to conserve space). But looks great otherwise. :)

Not sure if you're ready for additions yet, but here are a few I may forget if I don't put them down now. ;)

Battle Fantasia (PS3) - PAL release, was digital only on the PS3 in the US

Battle vs Chess (PS3, 360) - PAL release

Zombi (PS4, XBOne) - PAL release

Killzone Trilogy (PS3) - PAL & Asian-English releases both have Killzone HD on a disk, all 3 games in these sets are on separate disks in their own cases. In the US set, Killzone HD is on the disk with Killzone 2 and you have to install it off of the disk (it doesn't actually run from the disk, tho the disk still has to be in in order to play it). This is the Asia-English version:
I'm not quite sure these games qualify. Most of them are larger, mainstream releases and aren't really limited. Battle Vs Chess is one I'll look into. I'm not really familiar with it.

Sometimes the line for what games qualify can get a little blurry. Generally I'm not really listing games that have seen a physical release in the US on one platform and another in a different region. Zombi is kinda one that's hard to determine, since it's essentially the same game as ZombiU, which was a very mainstream release for the Wii U.

I appreciate all submissions, though. Even if I don't end up adding them, there's no harm in recommending titles.

Didn't see Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition on the master list.
It's actually on the list to be added to the list, lol.

I agree... I don't see a need to add major releases to the list, especially those from last gen. I'd rather the list keep to smaller titles or titles from major publishers but are likely to go under the radar. 

So the Prime 20% discount isn't applying to Lumo. I contacted amazon and a rep told me the prime discount only applies to games $29.99 and above. I can't find this rule anywhere. Anyone ever hear of that?

So the Prime 20% discount isn't applying to Lumo. I contacted amazon and a rep told me the prime discount only applies to games $29.99 and above. I can't find this rule anywhere. Anyone ever hear of that?
That's wrong because it applied fine to that Assault Suit game, as well as RE4 that I recently bought.

It doesn't apply to Lumo because the publisher submitted the MSRP of $29.99 to retailers (I think BB has the $29.99 price, Gamestop has it listed and crossed out) so since the Prime discount is 20% off of MSRP only, it's not in effect since amazon thinks the $19.99 price is already 33% off, which trumps the 20% prime discount.

It's a really stupid situation all around.

That's wrong because it applied fine to that Assault Suit game, as well as RE4 that I recently bought.

It doesn't apply to Lumo because the publisher submitted the MSRP of $29.99 to retailers (I think BB has the $29.99 price, Gamestop has it listed and crossed out) so since the Prime discount is 20% off of MSRP only, it's not in effect since amazon thinks the $19.99 price is already 33% off, which trumps the 20% prime discount.

Ah. That's weird. Target has it for $19.99. I see newegg and gs have the cross out over 29.99.

Rep was still dead wrong that the discount only applies to games $29.99 and up.

Discount also isn't applying towards Aragami...

Ah. That's weird. Target has it for $19.99. I see newegg and gs have the cross out over 29.99.

Rep was still dead wrong that the discount only applies to games $29.99 and up.

Discount also isn't applying towards Aragami...
Man even Target has it in stock? C'mon Amazon, ship mine!

I contacted them today and the guy told me the 20% off is only for preorders. I told him it's 20% off for preorder and first 2 weeks of release. The rep told me he sent my issue to the correct department. Well I just got a email telling me to contact them by phone and they'll get my order the correct price. Let's see how this turns out.

I contacted them today and the guy told me the 20% off is only for preorders. I told him it's 20% off for preorder and first 2 weeks of release. The rep told me he sent my issue to the correct department. Well I just got a email telling me to contact them by phone and they'll get my order the correct price. Let's see how this turns out.
Sounds more promising than my experience. I contacted them by phone afterwards. The rep "explained" to me first that Lumo didn't qualify and it is only select new release / pre-order games that are eligible for 20% Prime discount. I asked him to show me where in the T&C and FAQ it states select games. He then said it's because the game is out of stock. I showed him how the discount applied to Assault Suit Leynos even though that was our of stock. He said it's only for games sold by Amazon. Then pointed him to the seller being Amazon. He then said the discount gets applied after it ships, not at checkout, and that's why I don't see it. I then directed him to other pre-orders I have where the discount was applied as well as back to Assault Suit Leynos. He then tried to say there were promos. 1) The 20% discount and 2) a Pre-order guarantee where all qualifying pre-orders received a $4 refund after shipping. I got him to repeat many times that all pre-orders have a "Guarantee" where I would receive a $4 refund after shipment for each pre-order. Wish I thought to record the phone conversation. When I asked him to direct me to the T&C of the promo he hung up on me.

The amount of shit this guy was making up on the spot was impressive.

I've had a terrible run of CS interactions with BB and Amazon lately. It is super infuriating that they can get away with making up fake policies. I've started to file BBB complaints, but I'm sure that does nothing.

I agree... I don't see a need to add major releases to the list, especially those from last gen. I'd rather the list keep to smaller titles or titles from major publishers but are likely to go under the radar.
That's fine, I mistook the "limited physical release" part of the thread title to mean just that, games that had physical releases in certain regions. But that's fine, it's his list & he can do what he wants with it - I was only offering suggestions, and those are easily ignored. I'll continue to find games that meet my criteria on my own. :)

Sounds more promising than my experience. I contacted them by phone afterwards. The rep "explained" to me first that Lumo didn't qualify and it is only select new release / pre-order games that are eligible for 20% Prime discount. I asked him to show me where in the T&C and FAQ it states select games. He then said it's because the game is out of stock. I showed him how the discount applied to Assault Suit Leynos even though that was our of stock. He said it's only for games sold by Amazon. Then pointed him to the seller being Amazon. He then said the discount gets applied after it ships, not at checkout, and that's why I don't see it. I then directed him to other pre-orders I have where the discount was applied as well as back to Assault Suit Leynos. He then tried to say there were promos. 1) The 20% discount and 2) a Pre-order guarantee where all qualifying pre-orders received a $4 refund after shipping. I got him to repeat many times that all pre-orders have a "Guarantee" where I would receive a $4 refund after shipment for each pre-order. Wish I thought to record the phone conversation. When I asked him to direct me to the T&C of the promo he hung up on me.

The amount of shit this guy was making up on the spot was impressive.
I've had a terrible run of CS interactions with BB and Amazon lately. It is super infuriating that they can get away with making up fake policies. I've started to file BBB complaints, but I'm sure that does nothing.
I thought it was only me having this issue [emoji35] amazon 20% didnt apply to the lego dimensions set and they tried claiming its for select items......thats pure B.S might have to save the policy on my pc n phone.

This is the reason Lumo is not getting the 20% off discount off of the $19.99 price. Unless the developer changes the list price (MSRP) to $19.99 you won't. Amazon is matching Gamestop and/or Target with the price. This is one of the major shortcomings of Amazon's 20% off preorder promotion - that the discount is only off the LIST price (not the overall price). Same thing happened with the new Hatsune Miku Project Diva X for PS4. They had it "on sale" for $39.99 but there was no further 20% off since the LIST price was $49.99.

There's no reason to fight Amazon about the discount not applying to these specific games because they are already on sale. If anything, people should fight Amazon about the crappy shortcomings of their policy and make it more like Best Buy's GCU where the 20% is off of all new games no matter if they are on sale or were released a long time ago.

Should the new Carmageddon game (Max Damage) be on this list? It's by no means a great game and is basically just a shoe-polished version of the last one, but it is limited release I guess in the sense that it was published by a small distributor. 

Should the new Carmageddon game (Max Damage) be on this list? It's by no means a great game and is basically just a shoe-polished version of the last one, but it is limited release I guess in the sense that it was published by a small distributor.
Yea, that's a game that I meant to look into. It'll probably be added.

Nice find. Added it to pre-orders and the master list.

As a note, I've been taking a bit of a break on developing the top post, but I've still been updating the master list with new titles. Will resume work soon enough.
Aren't most of these threads wiki posts in the OP?

Just noticed Gal*Gun: Double Peace for PS4 and Vita isn't included on the master list.

This is definitely a Region 1 low print run game, only place to buy it afaik is from videogamesplus.ca, the same people that put out Clash of Heroes 2G for PS3 (currently one of the rarest PS3 games). They get exclusive print runs from time to time of niche titles, so someone might want to check what they have to offer for the list.

Just noticed Gal*Gun: Double Peace for PS4 and Vita isn't included on the master list.

This is definitely a Region 1 low print run game, only place to buy it afaik is from videogamesplus.ca, the same people that put out Clash of Heroes 2G for PS3 (currently one of the rarest PS3 games). They get exclusive print runs from time to time of niche titles, so someone might want to check what they have to offer for the list.
Amazon has it in stock too, both on Vita and PS4.

And I can't speak about any other niche games they sell, but they sell the extra production copies of Gaijinworks games (at least they did for 2G and Summon Night 5, not 100% sure about CoH 2). As much as Vic likes to make it sound like they only produce what they get orders for, they have to order production runs in set increments or something. Not sure what they are, but lets say it's in like increments of 1,000 copies-- if 1001 people order the game, they'd need to order 2,000 copies and have 999 copies left over. Those left over copies got to VGP (and Vic prob sells some on eBay, like he did after WD went under). See bojay1997's post.

Amazon has it in stock too, both on Vita and PS4.

And I can't speak about any other niche games they sell, but they sell the extra production copies of Gaijinworks games (at least they did for 2G and Summon Night 5, not 100% sure about CoH 2). As much as Vic likes to make it sound like they only produce what they get orders for, they have to order production runs in set increments or something. Not sure what they are, but lets say it's in like increments of 1,000 copies-- if 1001 people order the game, they'd need to order 2,000 copies and have 999 copies left over. Those left over copies got to VGP (and Vic prob sells some on eBay, like he did after WD went under).
VGP placed an order during the preorder period for those Gaijinworks games. It was disclosed and discussed extensively on the Gaijinworks forums at the time. They weren't "leftovers". I don't understand why people think it's perfectly fine to post potentially damaging speculation as fact around here.

I apologize for the lack of front page updates, I've been busy with some home renovations, but I promise I will continue to work on it. Feel free to continue to recommend games for the master list. If someone wants to help and post release dates for upcoming titles, that'd make it easier for me to add'em to the front post.

As far as Gal*Gun goes, it seems to be pretty available. As some posts noted, it's up on Amazon for both platforms.

VGP placed an order during the preorder period for those Gaijinworks games. It was disclosed and discussed extensively on the Gaijinworks forums at the time. They weren't "leftovers". I don't understand why people think it's perfectly fine to post potentially damaging speculation as fact around here.
Interesting. I don't follow the Gaijin forums but I read on a subreddit for RPGs that Gaijin sells the leftovers through VGP... made sense on how they dealt with leftovers.

If that's the case though... what do they do with leftovers?

Just found out there's gonna be a physical release that collects some of the Zen Marvel Pinball tables. I added it to the master and pre-order list.

Also added Shantae Risky's Revenge Director's Cut to master list.

My bad, didn't see it on Amazon or maybe it wasnt there at the time I ordered which was a bit ago.

I usually end up buying those "canada only" games off ebay from an importer anyway since it always ends up being cheaper.

A couple of these games are supposed to release this Tuesday 10/11/16. 

Aragami CE (PS4) - $29.96 (guess they are price matching Walmart for 4 pennies, whoopie!)

https://www.amazon.com/Aragami-Collectors-PlayStation-4/dp/B01L91OUHM/ref=sr_1_16?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1475760684&sr=1-16

Reus (PS4) - $29.99

https://www.amazon.com/Reus-PlayStation-4/dp/B01KGH7YBY/ref=sr_1_29?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1475760775&sr=1-29&refinements=p_69%3A5y-11y

Both don't seem to be listed yet at Best Buy, but are eligible for the Prime 20% off at Amazon until 2 weeks after release.

Also, the Atari Flashback Classics Volume 1 and 2 (PS4) are no longer available to preorder, though it could be because of a release date change as Amazon still has them releasing on 10/11 but Gamestop has them releasing on 10/18 for PS4.  Best Buy has yet to list them either.

Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni  (Vita, $39.99) is also supposed to release 10/11 and is not available at many places to purchase.  Amazon is probably the best option with the 20% off:

https://www.amazon.com/Valkyrie-Drive--Bhikkhuni-PlayStation-Vita/dp/B01JHQURLY/ref=sr_1_12?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1475761027&sr=1-12&refinements=p_69%3A5y-11y

bread's done
Back