Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
In theory, couldn't Ruiner be published outside of NA to bypass the ESRB shenanigans?
To the best of my knowledge, the only region with ratings free packaging is Asia. Publishing there would require a physical presence in Asia as well as an existing relationship with Sony Asia. It wouldn't be an easy thing to do.

To the best of my knowledge, the only region with ratings free packaging is Asia. Publishing there would require a physical presence in Asia as well as an existing relationship with Sony Asia. It wouldn't be an easy thing to do.
I mean, I'm figuring there is some sort of point of contention, but theoretically couldn't they work with Play-Asia/EAS?

Cool, just saw the PR announcement about Nicalis publishing a physical version of Wonder Boy.  I want the Switch version, but $40 feels a bit steep.

I want the Switch version, but $40 feels a bit steep.
It's actually encouraging that the Switch has been providing a wider spread of price-points. I've seen games for it going for anywhere from $10 to $60. Even the physical copies have a significantly larger mid-tier pricing than most other platforms. I find it very encouraging to see so many games coming out at so many different prices, instead of just slapping $60 on each of them.

That said, I do agree that $40 for Dragon's Trap is a little on the steep side. Especially how late after it's initial release this is coming out. Of course, it could be that it will have some decent packaging and good instruction booklet, we will have to see. I didn't have any trouble paying a little extra for Binding of Isaac on the Switch. But that was because the cover art for that release was fantastic, and it came with a really nice Zelda-referential instruction booklet. And of course, a physical release opens up the possibility of a physical sale, and/or physical clearance prices. So a little patience might give you the opportunity to get it for less.

Nicalis announces physical version of Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap for North America. Switch Version.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nicalis-announces-physical-version-of-wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-for-north-america/
Also they are doing a PS4 version. I'm down for the switch version, just kind of taken aback that they are doing a retail PS4 version after LRG's version. Very interesting.

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/925772928947326977

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/925772928947326977

Fantastic.  I love Nicalis releases.

Legit considering selling my LRG version because Nicalis will be superior for sure.

Has anyone gotten their non-collectors Absolver PS4 from SRG yet?

I checked the website recently to see what was going on, and in my order history, it shows incorrect information. Basically it says I bought Shadow Warriors 2 twice! It also shows both as completed in October, even though I have had this Absolver preorder in since July and have the e-mail to prove it. Customer service has yet to respond.

Good riddance to SRG selling PS4 games if they can't even handle basic stuff.

I checked the website recently to see what was going on, and in my order history, it shows incorrect information. Basically it says I bought Shadow Warriors 2 twice! It also shows both as completed in October, even though I have had this Absolver preorder in since July and have the e-mail to prove it. Customer service has yet to respond.

I've only really seen problems from them since the start. And considering how many new start ups are doing the same thing in regards to limited games, I really don't expect them to be around much longer. The feedback has been shit, with little to no communication in regards to anything. If you can't handle basic CS issues with a reply to emails, you shouldn't be in business to begin with.

I received my standard PS4 edition last week and I also had the glitch in my order history where it showed as Shadow Warriors 2. I would reach out to them on Twitter or Facebook as that's the only way I've ever been able to get them to deal with problems in my orders. Oddly, Absolver is the only game I have ever ordered from them where there wasn't an issue with shipping it out timely.

It's actually encouraging that the Switch has been providing a wider spread of price-points. I've seen games for it going for anywhere from $10 to $60. Even the physical copies have a significantly larger mid-tier pricing than most other platforms. I find it very encouraging to see so many games coming out at so many different prices, instead of just slapping $60 on each of them.

That said, I do agree that $40 for Dragon's Trap is a little on the steep side. Especially how late after it's initial release this is coming out. Of course, it could be that it will have some decent packaging and good instruction booklet, we will have to see. I didn't have any trouble paying a little extra for Binding of Isaac on the Switch. But that was because the cover art for that release was fantastic, and it came with a really nice Zelda-referential instruction booklet. And of course, a physical release opens up the possibility of a physical sale, and/or physical clearance prices. So a little patience might give you the opportunity to get it for less.
IIRC, the other Nicalis Switch releases were $30, so the $40 reminds me of the "switch tax". I'm not saying it is, since the PS4 release is probably $40 as well, but it feels like it.

And yes, I'm kind of banking on sales/clearances for the physical version. I'll admit that I hadn't even thought of any extras they may cram in there, like the keychains and stuff they did for Isaac and Tiny Barbarian. Good thinking!

Any difference in terms of content between the Play-Asia release of Wonder Boy vs. the Nicalis release? I already pre-ordered the Switch version from PA. Aside from packaging, will the content on the cartridge be identical?

IIRC, the other Nicalis Switch releases were $30, so the $40 reminds me of the "switch tax". I'm not saying it is, since the PS4 release is probably $40 as well, but it feels like it.

And yes, I'm kind of banking on sales/clearances for the physical version. I'll admit that I hadn't even thought of any extras they may cram in there, like the keychains and stuff they did for Isaac and Tiny Barbarian. Good thinking!
Some are $30, but some are $40 as well. I really don't know what makes it one or the other, but it happens. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073P7GKD7/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I11QF6HPR0HDGW&colid=3VZBLICHTV7UL

EDIT: I would guess maybe when they are doing it for another company, it may be more expensive, as more sides need to get paid. Where the $30 ones, maybe their specific titles, and can be offered cheaper. Just a thought, as I don't know for sure either way.

Well it will be $40 MSRP and $32 at Best Buy or Bubblemailerzon.

GCU and being able to order it whenever and not having it sell out in 30 seconds is a win.

Well it will be $40 MSRP and $32 at Best Buy or Bubblemailerzon.

GCU and being able to order it whenever and not having it sell out in 30 seconds is a win.
Shouldn't you be bitching about how stressed this makes you that you will now have to buy an additional variant of the same game? I'm assuming you bought both standard covers and the CE, so this will be what, your fourth copy of the game?

Shouldn't you be bitching about how stressed this makes you that you will now have to buy an additional variant of the same game? I'm assuming you bought both standard covers and the CE, so this will be what, your fourth copy of the game?
I can preorder this whenever and not only in a once in a lifetime 5 second window, it wasn't released simultaneously with every other platform at the same time, and it hasn't been released on Switch yet, so it's a bit more relaxing as a standard retail release in ample supply. Thanks for your concern though.

in what way?
If I've heard correctly, it won't be, but I guess time will tell. I've heard it lacks reversible cover art.

Happy that more people can get ahold of this wonderful game, but our release was really great - personal bias aside. 24-page throwback manual and a retro/modern reversible cover. I'm sure Nicalis' release will be fine but it really kills me to see people hating on us here.

If I've heard correctly, it won't be, but I guess time will tell. I've heard it lacks reversible cover art.

Happy that more people can get ahold of this wonderful game, but our release was really great - personal bias aside. 24-page throwback manual and a retro/modern reversible cover. I'm sure Nicalis' release will be fine but it really kills me to see people hating on us here.
If you don't print enough, if you do print enough, if you over-print your releases... you'll have someone complaining. I'm all for constructive criticisms but a lot of the negative feedback I see here on CAG just seems like hating for the sake of hating.

No hate, I just really like the quality of Nicalis' releases. They always do high quality full manuals, really nice cover art, with cool art on the reverse side (Not necessarily "reversible"), and other nifty little things. They've done keychains, stickers, soundtrack cds. Not sure what Ittle Dew 2, End is Nigh, and Blade Strangers come with, but I'm looking forward to those releases as well.

It's not an insult to you guys, but I'd buy Nicalis over LRG 10/10.

I will complain that you guys too often don't check your UPC numbers consistently.

They've done keychains, stickers, soundtrack cds. Not sure what Ittle Dew 2, End is Nigh, and Blade Strangers come with, but I'm looking forward to those releases as well.
Yeah, I have all those on my Amazon wish list as well. So I'm just waiting to see what may be included with each before purchases, as I only grab NS game currently for titles that have "day one" type offerings, that may be gone later on.

I agree, Nicalis has been doing really good offerings as of late, so I hope they keep it up. I'll buy any of their releases for the manuals alone, as those are greatly missed from gaming in general. So I'm happy to support a place that offers them.

Yeah, I have all those on my Amazon wish list as well. So I'm just waiting to see what may be included with each before purchases, as I only grab NS game currently for titles that have "day one" type offerings, that may be gone later on.
Here's what Ittle Dew and End is Nigh come with. Nothing on Blade Strangers yet.[attachment=28498:image-1.jpg][attachment=28499:151648_bonusLG.jpg]

I also prefer Nicalis over LRG. I really don't like LRG's business practices. Tends to appeal more to the scalpers, unfortunately. Apparently they're going to be publishing Switch releases as well, which is annoying.

I haven't played Ittle Dew 1, but I might pick up the sequel.

So, if I pre-order from Amazon, it'll come with the map and manual above, or do I have to strictly pre-order from Nicalis?

Is Tiny Barbarian any good?

God I love the tiny little Switch cases.

I also prefer Nicalis over LRG. I really don't like LRG's business practices. Tends to appeal more to the scalpers, unfortunately. Apparently they're going to be publishing Switch releases as well, which is annoying.

So, if I pre-order from Amazon, it'll come with the map and manual above, or do I have to strictly pre-order from Nicalis?

Ittle Dew is fantastic, plays like Link to the Past, but it also doesn't take itself at all seriously.

I actually skipped Tiny Barbarian because I'm burnt out with pixel art games.

If you preorder from anywhere you should get it. I preorder from BB and have gotten the goods with the games.

Ittle Dew is fantastic, plays like Link to the Past, but it also doesn't take itself at all seriously.

If you preorder from anywhere you should get it. I preorder from BB and have gotten the goods with the games.
I really, really like the art style for Ittle Dew, and I absolutely hear you on the pixel art fatigue.

Thanks!

I also prefer Nicalis over LRG. I really don't like LRG's business practices. Apparently they're going to be publishing Switch releases as well, which is annoying.

Our business practices allowed Nicalis to do the reprint they're doing. We don't lock up rights and we proved the demand existed for Nicalis. We also made the dev team a ton of money, which is allowing them to continue developing more games. People play us up here like we're villains and Nicalis are heroes - but we did nothing to actively keep a reprint off the table. That option exists for every partner we've worked with.

We do what we do to guarantee developers make money, and make that money fast. We've kept several developers from going out of business and we've helped finance numerous follow-up games from great studios. Any other approach to this wouldn't have helped those developers.

Nicalis' releases will struggle to earn developers $5/unit due to their terms and the retail side. That money won't come fast and all the stock that doesn't sell will negatively impact the devs. Nothing we've done for devs would have been possible with Nicalis' approach.

It's well and good that they're getting the game to a wider audience, but please stop villainizing us. We take a different approach, but we don't close out or stop anyone from pressing more copies.

Our business practices allowed Nicalis to do the reprint they're doing. We don't lock up rights and we proved the demand existed for Nicalis. We also made the dev team a ton of money, which is allowing them to continue developing more games. People play us up here like we're villains and Nicalis are heroes - but we did nothing to actively keep a reprint off the table. That option exists for every partner we've worked with.
We do what we do to guarantee developers make money, and make that money fast. We've kept several developers from going out of business and we've helped finance numerous follow-up games from great studios. Any other approach to this wouldn't have helped those developers.
Nicalis' releases will struggle to earn developers $5/unit due to their terms and the retail side. That money won't come fast and all the stock that doesn't sell will negatively impact the devs. Nothing we've done for devs would have been possible with Nicalis' approach.
It's well and good that they're getting the game to a wider audience, but please stop villainizing us. We take a different approach, but we don't close out or stop anyone from pressing more copies.
Publish Oceanhorn for Switch and maybe, just maybe, I'll believe you. ;)

The whole "Limited" thing is the only part I really dislike about the company. It makes games more difficult to obtain and unfortunately scalpers have ruined it for me. But who knows; if you end up publishing some great titles for Switch (Cough! Oceanhorn Cough!) I may just come back.

No hate, I just really like the quality of Nicalis' releases. They always do high quality full manuals, really nice cover art, with cool art on the reverse side (Not necessarily "reversible"), and other nifty little things. They've done keychains, stickers, soundtrack cds. Not sure what Ittle Dew 2, End is Nigh, and Blade Strangers come with, but I'm looking forward to those releases as well.

It's not an insult to you guys, but I'd buy Nicalis over LRG 10/10.

I will complain that you guys too often don't check your UPC numbers consistently.
Did you open our Wonder Boy release? Both covers were custom drawn by Lizardcube for us and the manual inside our release couldn't have been more appropriate or better. We included a nice trading card with each copy as well.

When we do a release, because our approach is developer centric, we don't require double sided cover sheets, manuals, or extra doodads because that stuff all bears down on the developer's earnings at the end. We follow their guidance on how they want their own game preserved and in the end that causes a pretty wide variance in our releases in terms of extra flourishes. I could find a few great examples where I think we went above and beyond, though - N++, Night Trap, Firewatch, Wonder Boy, Skullgirls. We've had our fair share of really solid releases - a lot of people don't open them up so they don't even notice! It's kind of sad actually.

Something I think really illustrates how developer-centric we are is that we've released nothing with the Limited Run logo on the cover. Our competitors always splash their logo on the packaging but these aren't their games. That bothers me. Developers poured their souls into creating these things - the credit for them should be theirs not ours. We actually had to fight Sony on this because it was so foreign to put developer logos om the cover. We did it, and nearly 100 releases later we've never credited ourselves for a game release.

Did you open our Wonder Boy release?
It is entirely possible that they did NOT open their LRG release. I understand that this is a fairly common practice. Also, haters gonna hate.

Don't let trolls get under your skin, Doomstink. There are plenty of fans that like LRG, and what you are doing for the physical game-collecting scene. I also like Nicalis, and some of the releases they have coming up. But I'm not jumping ship, or choosing one or the other. I'm quite happy to have both operating, and to cherry-pick my favorite titles from either. Having a broader selection of relatively low-cost physical games is just fine by me. The slight inconvenience of waking up a little early to order those titles on-line at a specific time is not that big a deal. Especially in a world where some amiibo releases force me to hunt through physical stores for months, or wake up early to line up at a physical location. LRG's releases are a cake-walk by comparison.

If you're looking for a deal on Cuphead this is great news. There's a very high chance that the retail edition will hit $9.99 sooner than on the Xbox Live store.

Did you open our Wonder Boy release? Both covers were custom drawn by Lizardcube for us and the manual inside our release couldn't have been more appropriate or better. We included a nice trading card with each copy as well.

When we do a release, because our approach is developer centric, we don't require double sided cover sheets, manuals, or extra doodads because that stuff all bears down on the developer's earnings at the end. We follow their guidance on how they want their own game preserved and in the end that causes a pretty wide variance in our releases in terms of extra flourishes. I could find a few great examples where I think we went above and beyond, though - N++, Night Trap, Firewatch, Wonder Boy, Skullgirls. We've had our fair share of really solid releases - a lot of people don't open them up so they don't even notice! It's kind of sad actually.
Sad to say, but I have not actually. I buy my games to play, but with LRG, I can't buy the game when I want to play it, I have to buy it when it's available. Knowing that a Switch version is coming from Nicalis, I might not open the PS4 version. I might sell it as I said before. I have roughly 5,000 games, and I play and beat about 100 games a year. I have to pick and choose what I play when I play. I was well aware of the quality when I purchased said games through you, it's appreciated, but inconsistent, as you said. If minimally full color instruction manuals were required for every LRG release, I'd think severely higher of your products. I get that that might not be reasonable, but it is what it is. I hear LRG announce they are doing a title, I don't necessarily get hyped. Because I don't know what I'm getting, and I don't know how hectic the release is going to be (Demand and how many other titles you are putting out that month). With Nicalis, I'm comfortable with assuming that I'm going to get high quality inserts, full color instruction manuals, and other little goodies with every single release.

I hear you Josh, and supporting the developers is great. Many people appreciate what you do. But the fact of the matter is, from the consumer stand point, Nicalis is FAR better than LRG. No need to make sure you're at a computer during 2 separate 5 minute windows. Just make a preorder as you please. I've never been unable to get a game I want from you folks, but I am always super anxious leading up to the sale. I, personally, don't like that. Your business practice is just that, it works and it makes devs a lot of money. But consumers don't like to be told that they have to compete to be able to buy what they want. I understand that there is no middle ground and it is what it is, but people will always complain.

And personally, I'm not happy that LRG is doing Switch releases. Not because I don't care about devs, not because I hate buying from you folks, but because I have no clue if you are going to release something that I've already bought from you, or because you might make something for PS4 soon and announce a Switch version down the line, maybe you'll never release a Switch version. I just can't know. And that just adds to the anxiousness of the whole ordeal. If I have to choose between PS4 and Switch, I'm gonna go Switch most of the time. But financially, I'm no longer at the point where I can double dip on games.

Don't get me wrong here, I like Nicalis' releases. I just hate this rhetoric that we're bad guys when I'm really just out to help developers as much as I can. Paths to reprint exist for each of our partners - please don't burn us at the stake because we choose not to do them.

It is entirely possible that they did NOT open their LRG release. I understand that this is a fairly common practice. Also, haters gonna hate.

Don't let trolls get under your skin, Doomstink. There are plenty of fans that like LRG, and what you are doing for the physical game-collecting scene. I also like Nicalis, and some of the releases they have coming up. But I'm not jumping ship, or choosing one or the other. I'm quite happy to have both operating, and to cherry-pick my favorite titles from either. Having a broader selection of relatively low-cost physical games is just fine by me. The slight inconvenience of waking up a little early to order those titles on-line at a specific time is not that big a deal. Especially in a world where some amiibo releases force me to hunt through physical stores for months, or wake up early to line up at a physical location. LRG's releases are a cake-walk by comparison.
Speaking of which, the last few preorders I've done through Best Buy, they have cancelled my order on release date because the store didn't get any stock in. Don't even want to think about the shit people went through for SNES classics.

Don't get me wrong here, I like Nicalis' releases. I just hate this rhetoric that we're bad guys when I'm really just out to help developers as much as I can. Paths to reprint exist for each of our partners - please don't burn us at the stake because we choose not to do them.
I just want to convey that I'm not at all trying to talk bad about LRG, not even trying to make you guys out to be bad guys, I just thoroughly enjoy what Nicalis puts out.

I don't even mean to convey that I "hate" that you are doing Switch releases, I just mean to convey that it adds to the stress... especially on my wallet.

It's a Best Buy exclusive which might explain why there's no info yet.

IMG_20171031_062557710_HDR.jpg

So Cuphead is getting a physical release next Tuesday alongside the Xbox One X launch. It's just a code and and art cell in a box though.
So all we know so far is it's releasing in 5 days and there's no preorder up on the Best Buy website yet. I can't find anything about this online except on this thread. Does anyone have a link to where this info came from?

I was planning on buying it digitally for $19.99, so $15.99 with GCU for an empty case, art cell, and download isn't terrible. I agree with everyone else it's a shame there's no disc.

You'll get mad people no matter what you do. I remember how tons of people were upset at LRG because Wonder Boy sold out so quick. Now people have a chance to buy it again so now the people on the other side who were quick enough to get it are mad. If it was a legit reprint I'd be pissed, but it has different box art, artwork, booklet, etc so I don't care.

So all we know so far is it's releasing in 5 days and there's no preorder up on the Best Buy website yet. I can't find anything about this online except on this thread. Does anyone have a link to where this info came from?

I was planning on buying it digitally for $19.99, so $15.99 with GCU for an empty case, art cell, and download isn't terrible. I agree with everyone else it's a shame there's no disc.
Tyrok, the guy who posts the Best Buy ads before they go up here. He's a inside man I imagine.

I just found a bunch of copies in a bin of games that came on one of our trucks and snapped a pic after checking the release date. No idea why they wouldn't list it early so they could take some preorders.

I really like and want some of those switch games but I'd rather have them for PS4 if they are doing physical for both. I wish this info was more obvious.

I'm glad LRG is coming to Switch. They put care into their releases, and the more indie games that get physical releases the better.

But Nicalis has been doing a fantastic job, and it sure is nice to be able to order from Best Buy with 20% off and not have to worry about placing the order in a 5 minute window.

E: Whoops, missed the last page on mobile, making this post largely redundant. It was good to read the perspective from LRG last page.

I like what LRG is doing in principle in terms of producing physical games where there otherwise wouldn't be any.  But I have never ever been a fan of selling scarcity and hype.

In reality they've really fucked over a lot of collectors who either missed releases when they are one of the 3/4s of people trying to check out and can't, or can't keep up with the expense of the rapid pace.  The animosity isn't surprising at all.

They've single handedly and permanently broken US/R1 PS4 and Vita collecting for a lot of people and have not once acknowledged it, instead replying with more cover variants, showing complete disregard or empathy for the damage they've inflicted on those people's collections.  That's a bit concerning for a company that is "by collectors for collectors" to not display even the slightest remorse that they have screwed their fellow collectors out of any hope of ever having a complete US PS4 or Vita set, libraries which most had started before LRG even existed.

I haven't missed anything yet but I can be empathetic to those who are screwed now.

Many of these people were probably collecting on newer platforms because older stuff has long been a lost cause for new collectors for years and this was a chance to start from day one.  But now it's becoming an equal pain in the ass to collect for current production platforms because of this "limited run" trend.  Old games are expensive because they are old and not made anymore and most people threw them away or didn't take care of them.  This is the first generation in console gaming where games that came out yesterday are already being scalped at "rare" 30 year old NES/SNES levels of prices from the second they launch.

I'm monitoring another forum where people are tracking physical Switch releases and have started aiming for complete sets there.  You should see the level of dread and fear there regarding LRG doing Switch now despite LRG's assurance that they won't be going crazy with Switch.  People are happy to see a title getting a release, or the potential for previously confirmed digital only releases getting a LRG physical run.  But it's mostly dread and anxiety at possibly having to give up Switch collecting before it starts. The console isn't even a year old or at what 50 physical titles yet and people are already scared.

The love and hate dynamic with this limited run thing is... interesting to say the least.

Though to give some positive critique, it's good LRG is committed to a slower pace and a separate release day for Switch instead of combining with PS4/Vita Friday.  That helps a lot and should alleviate a ton of unspoken anxiety.

I really, really like the art style for Ittle Dew, and I absolutely hear you on the pixel art fatigue.
Pixels for life Bitches! LOL

I like Nicalis's releases, as they are mainly doing manuals with each release, and that's a good thing, same as physical in general. I'm digging some of the Play-Asia exclusives as well, as they are offering pretty good sets for bottom dollar prices. But I love what LRG has been doing from the start, and I know what is involved with what you guys do, and how making a product that may match the others item to item isn't possible, if a profit is to be made.

I often get buyers on Ebay asking why my shipping is so high, or some other asinine question. And my reply is always the same, "I'm not forcing anyone to buy from me". If you like what others are doing, or what they charge, why do I need to hear about it? Go there and shop, and leave me the fuck alone. Of course I'm selling items for super cheap, so they want to pay nothing for an item, and then get free shipping, and it's really just about entitlement and nothing more.

Unless I'm flipping something, I sell mostly for others, and I give them 50% off the final sales price. So if I'm offering free shipping on a cheap item, and I'm paying 50% off of the top, I'm left maybe losing funds for each transaction. So I completely understand how what you guys do works, and how what others may be offering, isn't possible for your releases. Why everyone has to state how much better other options are, but yet they are still here, so I would take that as "We love you", but we want to bitch and moan as well. LOL

This^

They've single handedly and permanently broken PS4 and Vita collecting for a lot of people and won't even acknowledge it.
CS, I was wondering where you where, as I know you never miss your chance at a good LRG discussion. And like always, you never disappoint. LOL

bread's done
Back