Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was a pretty decent game- the gameplay gimmick is neat at first but loses its appeal pretty quickly but the story was pretty fucking funny. I 100% agree on the fanbase, they're fucking annoying... almost as annoying as all the "the cake is a lie" Portal fans right after Portal released.
Funny you mention Portal. I recently played through the Orange Box and after I played Portal, I was like, "Ohhhh.....is this where the whole 'cake is a lie' thing came from?"

In other news, Kickstarters for Mighty No. 9 got an update saying that the handheld version isn't cancelled and will be released later this year.

In other news, Kickstarters for Mighty No. 9 got an update saying that the handheld version isn't cancelled and will be released later this year.
cn4bCjv.gif

Got an email this AM that Semispheres is in the "sign up" phase at Play-Asia.  Looks like it will go on sale around 6/20.

Got emails this morning from Play Asia for the sign ups for both Semispheres and Aerea. I've bought all of the play asia releases so far, but I'm not quite sure about these two. Maybe if a NTSC version of Aerea weren't already available I'd be more inclined to pick it up, and Semispheres just doesn't interest me in the slightest. If Semispheres were $19.99 I probably wouldn't have even thought about it and just ordered it. I'm trying to be better and not buying things just because it's simply a low print run. It sure is tough though lol

And it begins... 3 releases, one with 2 cover variants, and prices higher than the previous ones.
Aerea is $60 on PSN, on sale for PS+ members for $48- so that one is actually a deal on PA. Don't see a price on Semisphere yet but have no interest in that game...

EDIT* Nevermind, Semisphere at $30 vs $10 on PS Store. Def a rip-off.

Aerea is $60 on PSN, on sale for PS+ members for $48- so that one is actually a deal on PA. Don't see a price on Semisphere yet but have no interest in that game...

EDIT* Nevermind, Semisphere at $30 vs $10 on PS Store. Def a rip-off.
I signed up for Semispheres because I was under the assumption it would be $19.99 (like their last release). Guess not. I'll likely not be buying it now unless it sees a price drop.

It didnt appeal to me as much as Cursed Castilla. Hopefully #6 doesnt disappoint
Semispheres is #6 (Aerea is #5). Confusingly, the spine numbering is only relevant to the EAS releases so Semispheres will be #5 on the spine and Aerea will have no spine number (and not make any sense on a shelf between Alchemic Jousts and Semispheres)

Semispheres is #6 (Aerea is #5). Confusingly, the spine numbering is only relevant to the EAS releases so Semispheres will be #5 on the spine and Aerea will have no spine number (and not make any sense on a shelf between Alchemic Jousts and Semispheres)
You know what I mean.

They just make it confusing.

Picked these up along with Gravity Rush Remastered (Asia ver) during Ebay's Flash Sale. While I would have preferred Slain for Vita, I couldn't say no to the price for the PS4 version (dat free shipping)

Just noticed Syberia 3 is on sale at Amazon for $19.99 for Prime members only currently.  This came out at $49.99 and is currently that price at Gamestop, Walmart and Best Buy so I'm not sure if Amazon is price matching someone right now.

PS4:

https://www.amazon.com/Syberia-3-PlayStation-4-Standard/dp/B06X9VMMFR/ref=sr_1_1_twi_gam_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1497780334&sr=1-1&keywords=syberia+3

XBO:

https://www.amazon.com/Syberia-3-Xbox-One-Standard/dp/B06X9V1CLZ/ref=sr_1_1_twi_gam_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1497780334&sr=1-1&keywords=syberia+3

Picked these up along with Gravity Rush Remastered (Asia ver) during Ebay's Flash Sale. While I would have preferred Slain for Vita, I couldn't say no to the price for the PS4 version (dat free shipping)
Dex seemed like a game I would want to play but once I actually tried it I wasn't super happy with the gameplay... Shame, I love the cyber punk atmosphere.

anyone know how long it takes for Special Reserve Games to reply? i sent them an email about a week ago, still waiting for PS4 Strafe.
I'm in the same situation. It has been two weeks with no response. They said on Facebook a couple of days ago that they are going to start replying again on Monday as they were all at E3. I get that they are new at this, but with only a couple thousand copies of this first release, most of which presumably went out without a hitch, I can't believe how poor their response has been to the people that haven't received their orders yet.

Still n Cursed Castilla, I'm done with these PA exclusives.

It took about four or five days to get a response on my strafe email. They're also at e3 last week so

I'm in the same situation. It has been two weeks with no response. They said on Facebook a couple of days ago that they are going to start replying again on Monday as they were all at E3. I get that they are new at this, but with only a couple thousand copies of this first release, most of which presumably went out without a hitch, I can't believe how poor their response has been to the people that haven't received their orders yet.
They really should have proactively tried to contact people about the orders that disappeared

So I think SRG's customer support is clogged because they do preorders and likely get 50+ "when will my stuff ship?" emails a day which hides the pressing issues like missing shipments. We get ~20 tickets a day about Skullgirls so I can only imagine what they deal with given all their games are preorders.

anyone know how long it takes for Special Reserve Games to reply? i sent them an email about a week ago, still waiting for PS4 Strafe.
Also in this same boat. I've tried emailing them and contacting them on twitter. I caved and filed a claim, at this point, I just want my money back.

Has anyone actually updated that list? Feels like its been static for months now--I stopped checking and just try to keep up with the thread.

So I think SRG's customer support is clogged because they do preorders and likely get 50+ "when will my stuff ship?" emails a day which hides the pressing issues like missing shipments. We get ~20 tickets a day about Skullgirls so I can only imagine what they deal with given all their games are preorders.
Yeah, I can only imagine how bad it must be on their end. Also going to E3 I'm sure didn't help, and depending on the staff in place, it may take days or weeks to get caught up.

Has anyone actually updated that list? Feels like its been static for months now--I stopped checking and just try to keep up with the thread.
Actually I'm working on making a Google document that will be a lot more condensed and presentable.
Things have been pretty hectic, but I will eventually get caught up.

I did not get an email yet, but it looks like Semispheres is live on Play Asia.  (There is a different link for the Blue versus the Orange cover.)

I did not get an email yet, but it looks like Semispheres is live on Play Asia. (There is a different link for the Blue versus the Orange cover.)
Thanks. This is probably the least interested I've ever been in a limited release, but I feel a strong need to show my support to EAS. I picked it up.

I received the e-mail and clicked the link about 5 minutes after I got it. It was sold out for both of the variants. :| Did they seriously sell out?

Just pre-ordered four games from PA...

Semispheres [Orange Cover Limited Editio 

Semispheres [Blue Cover Limited Edition] 

Alchemic Jousts - Play-Asia.com Exclusiv 

AereA [Collector's Edition] - Play-Asia

Total is about $135 shipped, $33 per game, pretty good deal since all of them comes with music CDs (not to mention AereA comes with exclusive cards).

Hm... placed an order for Aerea but very unsure about these PA releases. Looks like a near game but still, not sure I wanna $44 for since most PA exclusives seem to hang around a while. I got both Blue Rider and Soldner X-2 from them but both of those can now be had for less than what it costs to import them from PA.:whistle2:

Of course, there's also Cursed Castilla which is going for crazy prices on eBay too. 

Hm... placed an order for Aerea but very unsure about these PA releases. Looks like a near game but still, not sure I wanna $44 for since most PA exclusives seem to hang around a while. I got both Blue Rider and Soldner X-2 from them but both of those can now be had for less than what it costs to import them from PA.:whistle2:k

Of course, there's also Cursed Castilla which is going for crazy prices on eBay too.
Just a heads up - apparently Aerea reviewed pretty poorly on Steam and there is supposed to be a US release on the way for PS4 that will still include the soundtrack (and likely be significantly cheaper than PA since Amazon Prime discount could apply). Since PA's Aerea release isn't actually numbered as any part of a series, I'm skipping it (they say it is PA #5, but since it isn't released by EAS - there won't be a spine tag or anything on the packaging denoting it as #5).

Just a heads up - apparently Aerea reviewed pretty poorly on Steam and there is supposed to be a US release on the way for PS4 that will still include the soundtrack (and likely be significantly cheaper than PA since Amazon Prime discount could apply). Since PA's Aerea release isn't actually numbered as any part of a series, I'm skipping it (they say it is PA #5, but since it isn't released by EAS - there won't be a spine tag or anything on the packaging denoting it as #5).
Prime discount does apply - $31.99 after discount:

https://www.amazon.com/Aerea-Collectors-PlayStation-4/dp/B071YR1V9D/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1497967254&sr=1-1&keywords=aerea+collector%27s+edition

Blue Rider cost me $33 to import. Where do you see it cheaper than that?
Saw an auction on eBay end for like $22 for a new copy... figure if you're patient, you could get one for less than the import price on eBay.

fuck me... didn't know this. And PA doesn't cancel pre-orders, do they? Well, there goes $50 down the drain.:whistle2:x

Saw an auction on eBay end for like $22 for a new copy... figure if you're patient, you could get one for less than the import price on eBay.

fuck me... didn't know this. And PA doesn't cancel pre-orders, do they? Well, there goes $50 down the drain. :whistle2:x
I think you have to contact them

fuck me... didn't know this. And PA doesn't cancel pre-orders, do they? Well, there goes $50 down the drain. :whistle2:x
Yeah, I sold my copy of blue rider because I found it to be pretty crappy as a total package. There is zero market for that game as you saw.

bread's done
Back