Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna start up a company called Bidding Rare Games in which I order a random amount and sell each game 1 at a time except it'll be a bidding war for each copy.

I'm gonna start one, get a minimum print and get games officially on the Sony/Nintendo release database, then destroy all copies on arrival, and just screw up everybody's collections forever so we can stop this once and for all. Prioritizing new consoles the first week they come out before anyone has time to get invested.

It will pay for itself from all the lrg and metal jesus types and their followers generating traffic to my YouTube to leave nasty comments to my fire pit videos ruining collecting for everybody.

Scorched Earth mother fuckers.
If you had the bankroll to pull this off I wouldn't put it past you.

We're basically going back to 80s computer days when any idiots with some capital and a game made in a basement by one or two dudes could get a print done.

There's a reason no one goes for full Commodore sets.

We're basically going back to 80s computer days when any idiots with some capital and a game made in a basement by one or two dudes could get a print done.

There's a reason no one goes for full Commodore sets.
It's not really that bad. Special Reserve hasn't released anything in months. Limited Run seems to be slowing down and these new entrants seem to be following the one game per month model.

I've done a 180 on my feelings about this limited release craze.

A year or year and a half ago I was: "Yeah, all of these games getting physical releases!"

Now I'm: "Oh my God, no, another one of these companies. Oh, yeah, a $20 markup over digital (counting shipping) is wonderful. Three cover variants and one only in a shitty CE I don't want? That's just fantastic. Oh, mine came with creased cover art? Well, I guess it's off to eBay to try for a mint one. LRG is releasing 12 games this month (counting PS4/vita), ffs. Yeah, I don't need extra spending money for other pursuits of happiness, or other gaming priorities."

The limited game craze has me looking forward to the death of physical game media. I have a collection of 2,000 games, and I have been collecting for many years. And yet, it was this trend that somehow pushed it over the edge of not being fun anymore. It's funny, really; I guess there was a line.

I’d rather buy a new release or two. Gaming time has reached a premium and I just can’t realistically say I’ll ever play most of these. Even if, there’s not much of a gamble to buy these from resellers at this point.

I've done a 180 on my feelings about this limited release craze.

A year or year and a half ago I was: "Yeah, all of these games getting physical releases!"

Now I'm: "Oh my God, no, another one of these companies. Oh, yeah, a $20 markup over digital (counting shipping) is wonderful. Three cover variants and one only in a shitty CE I don't want? That's just fantastic. Oh, mine came with creased cover art? Well, I guess it's off to eBay to try for a mint one. LRG is releasing 12 games this month (counting PS4/vita), ffs. Yeah, I don't need extra spending money for other pursuits of happiness, or other gaming priorities."

The limited game craze has me looking forward to the death of physical game media. I have a collection of 2,000 games, and I have been collecting for many years. And yet, it was this trend that somehow pushed it over the edge of not being fun anymore. It's funny, really; I guess there was a line.
There's multiple answers to your dilemma. Stop collecting. Or just stop collecting the games you don't want. Or sell off your sh*t and be done with it, entirely. Wanting physical media to die just because you can't have every game and have them in perfect condition sounds ridiculous, to me, but whatever

This market is quickly becoming over saturated. Many of these companies are seeing their games stay in stock for months. Aside from LRG titles, games are not selling out unless they're printed in extremely limited quantities(500-1,000). Strictly Limited Game's first title, Tokyo 42, is still in stock months later, and it had a print of 2,600.

While I agree that this trend is being exploited, and I would like to see far less releases, per month, I'll never want physical media to die. It's significance goes far beyond "collector's OCD".

There's multiple answers to your dilemma. Stop collecting. Or just stop collecting the games you don't want. Wanting physical media to die just because you can't have every game and have them in perfect condition sounds ridiculous, to me, but whatever.
I mean, I could write out a lengthy diatribe as a response. But I know that you're a fairly reasonable person, and I'm quite sure that you wouldn't be so reductive as to turn my sentiment into those two notions without context and without the rest of the thought process.

Look at all of the time we just saved each other. ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

I mean, I could write out a lengthy diatribe as a response. But I know that you're a fairly reasonable person, and I'm quite sure that you wouldn't be so reductive as to turn my sentiment into those two notions without context and without the rest of the thought process.

Look at all of the time we just saved each other. ;)

I have a habit of posting before I'm completely done with what I wanted to say and using the edit button to finish. Regardless, I just don't see the logic in wanting physical media to die because you can't afford everything.

I have a habit of posting before I'm completely done with what I wanted to say and using the edit button to finish. Regardless, I just don't see the logic in wanting physical media to die because you can't afford everything.
You're still reducing things to the point that the initial sentiment is basically not even present. I would also agree that wanting physical media to die because I, or anyone else, cannot afford everything would be dumb.

You're still reducing things to the point that the initial sentiment is basically not even present. I would also agree that wanting physical media to die because I, or anyone else, cannot afford everything would be dumb.

The initial sentiment being the enjoyment of collecting?

I'll be starting up "Possibly Non-existent Games" later this year. Please look forward to it.

- As the name implies, the titles released may not even exist.

- The exact print run will be classified. Just because. There may even be cover variants, but you'll never know.

- You cannot even place an order on our website. The extremely limited quantities, if any, will be distributed to random game shops across the US. Even if they didn't want to sell it.

- ...or not, because there's a chance the print run was 0 for that release. This adds to the mystery and mystique, and increases the mental orgasm if you do run across a copy in the wild.

- The games will be utter shite but you'll want them anyway because they're extremely rare and owning something others can't have makes you feel better about your sad existence.

- If you are lucky enough to get a copy, congratulations, you'll be able to place it on your shelf full of other unopened games you'll never play and raise your virgin lifestyle to the next level.

While I agree that this trend is being exploited, and I would like to see far less releases, per month, I'll never want physical media to die. It's significance goes far beyond "collector's OCD".
Honestly, I look at it all as choices & options, more so than being exploited. I completely agree I could do with far less options each month, but it gives the market more possible games to play and enjoy. My son games way more than me now, and I think even when I was his age, I didn't game as much, mostly do to the options of the time, funds, etc. Some games we like together, while he plays games I can't stand, and I play games he can't stand. How would it be if only his games got produced? Or just mine?

Growing up there where systems and games I couldn't afford, but 20 years later, I was glad those games existed. As I was able to buy them now, thanks to the fact there was a physical option. Even though my son has tons of games, there are many he doesn't get, and maybe 10-20 years from now, he may decide, oh, I want that game now. Then it's a good chance the game will be lost to the ages at that point.

I also completely understand the "business" side of why LRG decided to start offering less titles. Their mindset of less is better has it's place, as I agree there is to many options, and each one is now cutting in to the other market wise. But that likes saying, why is Capcom still making games, when Sega is to. Well maybe I don't like Sega, and prefer Capcom. Or maybe they both suck, and I want option 3, 4 or 5?

At the end of the day, I thought LRG was about the "preservation" of these titles, and if that was most important, each game should have an equal chance to be produced. When I shop at the grocery store, I'm blown away by the fact there are 50 forms of chicken nuggets in the freezer section, but guess what, each brand sells to someone, otherwise it wouldn't be stocked. So yeah, maybe some games don't need a few thousand copies, maybe a few hundred would do, but at least the game would be preserved, and I think that's the best part of all the physical releases. Just because I think it may be to much, doesn't mean someone else will.

By these "limited" places offering only certain or select titles, they become the exact same thing their trying to stop, and that's physical games no longer being offered. "N" at one point in time offered every game physically, now they pick and choose what may get physical and in what regions(as do many developers now). These limited game stops are saying this title doesn't get a chance, because this title is better and has more fans, how is that any different than "N" saying Rhythm Heaven doesn't get physical in the states, because it's not selling Mario Kart numbers? Seems rather hypocritical to me.

Honestly, I look at it all as choices & options, more so than being exploited. I completely agree I could do with far less options each month, but it gives the market more possible games to play and enjoy. My son games way more than me now, and I think even when I was his age, I didn't game as much, mostly do to the options of the time, funds, etc. Some games we like together, while he plays games I can't stand, and I play games he can't stand. How would it be if only his games got produced? Or just mine?

Growing up there where systems and games I couldn't afford, but 20 years later, I was glad those games existed. As I was able to buy them now, thanks to the fact there was a physical option. Even though my son has tons of games, there are many he doesn't get, and maybe 10-20 years from now, he may decide, oh, I want that game now. Then it's a good chance the game will be lost to the ages at that point.

I also completely understand the "business" side of why LRG decided to start offering less titles. Their mindset of less is better has it's place, as I agree there is to many options, and each one is now cutting in to the other market wise. But that likes saying, why is Capcom still making games, when Sega is to. Well maybe I don't like Sega, and prefer Capcom. Or maybe they both suck, and I want option 3, 4 or 5?

At the end of the day, I thought LRG was about the "preservation" of these titles, and if that was most important, each game should have an equal chance to be produced. When I shop at the grocery store, I'm blown away by the fact there are 50 forms of chicken nuggets in the freezer section, but guess what, each brand sells to someone, otherwise it wouldn't be stocked. So yeah, maybe some games don't need a few thousand copies, maybe a few hundred would do, but at least the game would be preserved, and I think that's the best part of all the physical releases. Just because I think it may be to much, doesn't mean someone else will.

By these "limited" places offering only certain or select titles, they become the exact same thing their trying to stop, and that's physical games no longer being offered. "N" at one point in time offered every game physically, now they pick and choose what may get physical and in what regions(as do many developers now). These limited game stops are saying this title doesn't get a chance, because this title is better and has more fans, how is that any different than "N" saying Rhythm Heaven doesn't get physical in the states, because it's not selling Mario Kart numbers? Seems rather hypocritical to me.
LRG wants quick sellouts and the best way to have a quick sellout is to sell to a group that will buy anything they put out - i.e. the full set collector. As more and more games were released by LRG the full set collectors slowly started to drop out. No longer were games taking mere minutes to sell out - they were now taking days and weekends. I am willing to bet that LRG still has a decent amount of full set collectors among their customer base. Obviously not as many as they used to have, but still a good chunk. By cutting down on their release schedule they are allowing what remains of the full set collectors to stay in the game and by increasing the quality of their releases they are ensuring solid sales to everyone else.

Alternatively they can ramp up the release schedule again and scare off the remaining full set collectors they have left. Sure, games will still eventually sell out but it may take weeks or months instead of hours and days. I think LRG would prefer the quick sellouts as opposed to sitting on inventory for an unknown period of time.

LRG wants quick sellouts and the best way to have a quick sellout is to sell to a group that will buy anything they put out - i.e. the full set collector. As more and more games were released by LRG the full set collectors slowly started to drop out. No longer were games taking mere minutes to sell out - they were now taking days and weekends. I am willing to bet that LRG still has a decent amount of full set collectors among their customer base. Obviously not as many as they used to have, but still a good chunk. By cutting down on their release schedule they are allowing what remains of the full set collectors to stay in the game and by increasing the quality of their releases they are ensuring solid sales to everyone else.

Alternatively they can ramp up the release schedule again and scare off the remaining full set collectors they have left. Sure, games will still eventually sell out but it may take weeks or months instead of hours and days. I think LRG would prefer the quick sellouts as opposed to sitting on inventory for an unknown period of time.
I was a full set collector until this year. They had about 11 separate games in January and that did it for me. I no longer buy ps4 games from them if it's offered on the vita.

I was always under the impression that a LRG lasting a few days to a week was the sweet spot they where trying for from the start. Enough time for everyone who wants a copy to get it, but not long enough to become an inventory issue long term. I honestly think the Ebay pricing now for most titles reflects that, as the games aren't worth much over retail, which means the games are getting to the fans who want them.

We also no longer really have the pissing and moaning of games being gone in seconds. Yeah, a few titles still do, but the afternoon offerings, are still pretty good in that regard as well. And they have still been having tons of releases, as the slow down really hasn't started yet.

I was a full set collector until this year. They had about 11 separate games in January and that did it for me. I no longer buy ps4 games from them if it's offered on the vita.
Yeah, I stopped getting CE awhile back, as I realized most of the contents really aren't to my liking. The only standard release I passed on so far was Mecho Tales, as the game just looked really bad. But it also sold out, and is now out there for the masses, so good, bad or ugly it's no preserved for the ages. Which even though I thought it looked bad, others may have found enjoyment, so I'm glad it was offered.

Has anyone gotten shipping info for their 99Vidas release? They advertised shipping would begin within 2-3 weeks and it's been that 3 weeks.

That doesn't look too bad, actually, plus I always support adding in a platinum trophy where there wasn't one before.

That doesn't look too bad, actually, plus I always support adding in a platinum trophy where there wasn't one before.
I just watched the video, and yeah, it looks pretty cool. When I looked at the static pics, it looked like a standard bullet hell shooter, but having seen it in motion, it seems to be more than that. Still looks hard as hell, but it gives me an Einhander type vibe, as your ship has many different functions than just the base option.

This game actually looks pretty freaking awesome. Then again, I have an extreme soft spot for shmups, and I was conditioned to be okay with paying $60 - $100 for them with all of the imports last gen lol.

I'm gonna start one, get a minimum print and get games officially on the Sony/Nintendo release database, then destroy all copies on arrival, and just screw up everybody's collections forever so we can stop this once and for all. Prioritizing new consoles the first week they come out before anyone has time to get invested.

It will pay for itself from all the lrg and metal jesus types and their followers generating traffic to my YouTube to leave nasty comments to my fire pit videos ruining collecting for everybody.

Scorched Earth mother fuckers.
Buy some shit indie title for a pittance that's already been certified and you could probably get away with the whole thing pretty cheaply.

Well, in their defense, they did try pretty much from the start, and it took "N" this long to play ball.
not only that but you have to pay a premium to release games on the "N". This not only cuts profits but also deters buyers like us. We are used to buying LRG games between $25-35 and having a Switch release will most likely increase to $35-45 range

Did anyone order the Secret of Mana PS4 physical copy from Video Games Plus? If so, did the ESRB logo contain both English and French text? They did confirm to me via Facebook that their copies are US region, but it seems that there are subtle differences between the Canadian, US and Latin American printings and I just wanted to make sure.

Mine is English/French on the back as well. I don't mind so long as it's got the ESRB logo, and even then I'm not sure why I care so long as it plays on my system in English.

Did anyone order the Secret of Mana PS4 physical copy from Video Games Plus? If so, did the ESRB logo contain both English and French text? They did confirm to me via Facebook that their copies are US region, but it seems that there are subtle differences between the Canadian, US and Latin American printings and I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks, just placed an order, as this game looks amazing.
No Prime discount yet so be sure to change the shipping method in your order to get the Prime discount when they finally add it to the item. Or reorder it I guess. Also, glad to see Soedesco is not charging the $10 Switch tax like a lot of publishers have been doing.

No Prime discount yet so be sure to change the shipping method in your order to get the Prime discount when they finally add it to the item. Or reorder it I guess. Also, glad to see Soedesco is not charging the $10 Switch tax like a lot of publishers have been doing.
Thanks for the heads up, as I normally always opt in to these releases when first offered. Amazon has a habit of pulling certain games before release, so I'll for sure check back later and adjust before release if necessary for the prime discount.

So, Human: Fall Flat is supposed to be some awesome game then? Right. It looks worse than about 80% of LRG's offerings and will have a hard time selling 2000 copies, let alone 5000. Glad its a European release so I am not obligated to buy this garbage.
According to the e-mail they just sent out, they are down to their last 100 copies. I hope LRG is taking note if that's true because that's remarkable demand for a Switch release that had almost no hype or promo outside of word of mouth and a couple of articles on news websites.

According to the e-mail they just sent out, they are down to their last 100 copies. I hope LRG is taking note if that's true because that's remarkable demand for a Switch release that had almost no hype or promo outside of word of mouth and a couple of articles on news websites.
It was a big fat LIE.

FWIW I watched some streamers play human fall flat together and it looks like a really fun time if you have a good group together

Some user responded to that tweet on twitter saying that they still have 3788 left. And shortly after that a follow up tweet saying you can't even check the quantity anymore because the cart now limits you to 2. So I would take that 100 left claim with a grain of salt.

bread's done
Back