Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. As soon as they throw the prime discount on it, I'm ordering.
if you order now it will auto re-adjust, you can also change your shipping method selection to get it to immediately apply it when it's live if you don't wanna wait for it to do it auto as i recall

Human Fall Flat, while it has it's moments where it's fun, is an awful game to try to push out on physical.  It's not hitting any of the niche markets that would care, you can get it for $5 on their sales, and it's just not the greatest game out there.  It's more frustrating than fun at times.  Just not a good game to push out as limited run.

Human Fall Flat, while it has it's moments where it's fun, is an awful game to try to push out on physical. It's not hitting any of the niche markets that would care, you can get it for $5 on their sales, and it's just not the greatest game out there. It's more frustrating than fun at times. Just not a good game to push out as limited run.
Probably very slim pickings for a start up company by some kid. Even the name "super rare games" reeks of taste. And now they are lying about stock levels to scare people into thinking these are very high in demand.
If this is how they are going to operate, I don't see them lasting.

Human Fall Flat, while it has it's moments where it's fun, is an awful game to try to push out on physical. It's not hitting any of the niche markets that would care, you can get it for $5 on their sales, and it's just not the greatest game out there. It's more frustrating than fun at times. Just not a good game to push out as limited run.
To be fair most of these limited releases are a hard sell at retail prices. Most Indie games(even good ones) aren't worth more than $5 digital.

Strictly Limited's Guns, Gore & Cannoli for the PS4 will be up at 3pm PST later today. It's a limit of 2 per person, and limited to 1500 total copies. Good luck to those who are interested. https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/all/products/guns-gore-cannoli-ps4

EDIT: There's also a second release time just like LRG, but I'm not sure of that time. But it's an option if the first batch goes to fast.
looks really fun. its like the other gory side scrolling game with same art style, Shank

looks really fun. its like the other gory side scrolling game with same art style, Shank
Damn, I forgot all about Shank, that game was awesome. I need to fire up my 360 and finish it, but I haven't touch my 360/PS3 in ages. My physical backlog alone gives me pause, but my digital library for that gen is insane, especially on PS3(those damn flash sales). LOL

First time I bought from LRG in a long time since it was a game I actually wanted and I was able get myself in a room with a staff to discuss some work before "my laptop is acting up, give me a minute to see if I can fix this" to place the order for Oddworld. 

I sort of ran through the order process and I might be crazy but during the AM batch, was the limit for the CE 2 instead of 1? Always though they limited CEs to 1. 

First time I bought from LRG in a long time since it was a game I actually wanted and I was able get myself in a room with a staff to discuss some work before "my laptop is acting up, give me a minute to see if I can fix this" to place the order for Oddworld.

I sort of ran through the order process and I might be crazy but during the AM batch, was the limit for the CE 2 instead of 1? Always though they limited CEs to 1.
Yeah, it was 2 and very rarely has it ever been 1, as that normally only happens if the shit storm is big enough before hand, and in this case, it most certainly was not. But it damn sure was after, so they are taking waiting list request now, so anyone who missed out, try that. They said almost everyone from their Night Trap list got one, so the odds are good for this if you sign up fast enough.

They rarely set the CE to 1 before going live with the First Batch despite how obvious the game will sell out immediately. 

Always something with "site traffic"

Strictly Limited's Guns, Gore & Cannoli for the PS4 will be up at 3pm PST later today. It's a limit of 2 per person, and limited to 1500 total copies. Good luck to those who are interested. https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/all/products/guns-gore-cannoli-ps4

EDIT: There's also a second release time just like LRG, but I'm not sure of that time. But it's an option if the first batch goes to fast.
Haven't ordered from SLG before but I'll definitely pick this up.

https://twitter.com/RealStrictlyLTD/status/967519514152833024/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23967519514152833024

Sold out in just under 4 minutes. Honestly knew nothing about this game until recently. Looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to receiving it.

I'm kinda surprised no one's been discussing the LRG drama in regards to GG and C. Apparently they signed exclusive rights to the game like 2 years ago and the dev has breached contract by going to SLG. This is according to Doug himself over on the LRG forums.

picked up Guns Gore Cannoli. i did it so quick i forgot to use Paypal instead. i think my credit card charges foreign fees more than paypal.

I'm kinda surprised no one's been discussing the LRG drama in regards to GG and C. Apparently they signed exclusive rights to the game like 2 years ago and the dev has breached contract by going to SLG. This is according to Doug himself over on the LRG forums.
Wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the games they cancelled. So it's good it got released from Strictly Limited Games. I'd much prefer if the named their company Salty Limited Games.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the games they cancelled. So it's good it got released from Strictly Limited Games. I'd much prefer if the named their company Salty Limited Games.
Doug says that LRG had a standing contract to release the game exclusively worldwide, but the dev hadn't been communicating with them in a bit. It sounds like there is the potential that the SLG release is going to be blocked as LRG engaged their lawyer due to the breach of contract.

Doug says that LRG had a standing contract to release the game exclusively worldwide, but the dev hadn't been communicating with them in a bit. It sounds like there is the potential that the SLG release is going to be blocked as LRG engaged their lawyer due to the breach of contract.
This would explain the "stealth" drop for this title, as Strictly Limited came out of left field with it. If there was any announcements before hand, I didn't see any.

As for LRG, I'm not sure how much they could do legally at this point, especially with Strictly Limited being overseas. I guess they could go after the developer here, but depending on what was in place, it may not be worth their time & money. There are for sure two sides to every story, so I would like to here the developers side, and see what they say.

Maybe all this talk of cancelling already existing deals, may have sacred the developer off, in thinking they may be on the chopping block, no idea really. This could be a bi-product of what happens when you give behind the scenes info, with no details, it opens up speculations that may or may not be true.

I honestly don't think it's fair that LRG can cancel contracts because they changed their mind after the fact in regards to releasing smaller publishers games(that aren't as popular as others). There are companies who have been waiting awhile to get games released, only to hear recently, "sorry, your title doesn't fit with our new company model", better luck next time. Contractually, that may be legal but as far as being fair, not so much. Maybe someplace else decided to do it to LRG, before it was done to them.

Like I said, more details are needed, but I won't be shedding any tears for LRG, as they may be cancelling contracts by the rules in place, but that doesn't make it any better when someone else was expecting games to be published, only to hear, oh, sorry about that we changed our minds. It's not cool when it happens the other way around is it?

I had no idea about the drama over Guns, Gore & Cannoli. That just made the game a bit more interesting for me. Glad I ordered my copy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I honestly don't think it's fair that LRG can cancel contracts because they changed their mind after the fact in regards to releasing smaller publishers games(that aren't as popular as others). There are companies who have been waiting awhile to get games released, only to hear recently, "sorry, your title doesn't fit with our new company model", better luck next time. Contractually, that may be legal but as far as being fair, not so much. Maybe someplace else decided to do it to LRG, before it was done to them.
Don't ever try to understand any LRG logic. They will always skew the situation to how they are right and you are wrong.

Don't ever try to understand any LRG logic. They will always skew the situation to how they are right and you are wrong.
It's all good, as I'm not looking to be right or wrong, I'm just making an observation based on the information I have at the moment. Not to long ago, Josh or Doug mention on social media how it was "hurting" that they where having to cancel some deals that where in place. As they are now taking a less is more attitude in regards to less releases with higher quality titles. I'm sure a developer that may have been sitting around for 12 months or more waiting for their LRG release to happen, only to be told it's no longer happening, isn't feeling that great about it.

As much as I defend LRG, I often play Devil's advocate as well, when I see some rather questionable things happening from them. I'm sure LRG is up front with their partners, and I'm also sure that any cancellations are done based on "outs" that are part of the deals they have in place. It still makes it no better for those on the receiving end who may have looked forward to their releases as a way to get exposure for their games(or extra revenue).

I don't know who was right or wrong in this situation, but I'm happy to see competition from others in the physical arena for this very reason. So at least now those who may not have an "it" title, can still get a physical option from others who aren't saying certain games aren't good enough. Maybe the developer in this case decided LRG wasn't the right fit for their product, and went elsewhere. They made a call they now have to deal with, if LRG was wronged, then the ball is in their court to take some form of action.

Without seeing the original contract all we can do is speculate.   Speculation is fun.

Guns, Gore & Cannoli came out on PSN December 8th 2015.  LRG peeps have said before their contracts usually include a time limit between a game coming out and how much time they have to actually get the game to market.  That's why some games are put on the store for sale before they even get manufactured since they'd be in breach of contract.   Technically it seems like they'd be in breach selling games they haven't had manufactured yet, but that's another issue and one I'm sure devs don't care about as long as they get their profits within the time limit.   The contract is two years old, right?  Seems like a long time holding the game hostage.  I wonder if the reason the devs stop talking to LRG was because of this massive delay and then LRG wanting to change the contract due to the big ESRB issue?    I would think the ESRB deal would have voided a lot of contracts since there wouldn't be a way to retroactively force a company let alone a foreign company (the devs are in Belgium) to push for their games to get rated.   I'm sure the devs got something closer to the original LRG deal with SLG since they are in Germany and don't have the issue with getting games PEGI rated since they do not sell them in game stores like what LRG ended up doing (which helped cause the whole ESRB change).

Whatever happens, I hope the LRG people think before they start throwing money at international lawyers or they take it up the flag pole to Sony.  Sony is LRG's bread and butter and if they rock that boat and end up in the wrong, that's the end of publishing.  Sony doesn't need trouble from a company that's a drop in the bucket.  In fact, LRG could end up ruining the entire small publishing side of Sony for everyone.  So hopefully they don't do anything stupid just because one little game that they had no intent on rushing to publish went to another publisher.

But this is all just speculation.

Idk why y'all hating on lrg so much lately, Doug seems like a legit collector and fan, I don't get the impression he's just on here trying to fuck everyone over while he scrooge mcducks into his money vault. If they had a contract with the dev then they had a contract, it doesn't fucking matter how long it took to come to market.

I don't have much to say about the contract thing as we don't know what's going on. I will say, though, that at about $30 shipped for a game that is like $10 digital and goes on sale for less than $5, G, G, & C is a very, very shit value proposition for the physical copy. Is it neat that it exists? Yeah, totally, but it's an incredibly awful value given the pricing structure and history that already exists for the digital version.

Idk why y'all hating on lrg so much lately, Doug seems like a legit collector and fan, I don't get the impression he's just on here trying to fuck everyone over while he scrooge mcducks into his money vault. If they had a contract with the dev then they had a contract, it doesn't fucking matter how long it took to come to market.
^This. A breach of contract is a breach, unless the terms for mutual agreement to terminate is met. It shouldn't matter how long it took to release said game, so long as the time frame within the contract is still met. It sucks that it comes to this, but that's why people sign contracts; to ensure each party does what they're supposed to do.

I don't have much to say about the contract thing as we don't know what's going on. I will say, though, that at about $30 shipped for a game that is like $10 digital and goes on sale for less than $5, G, G, & C is a very, very shit value proposition for the physical copy. Is it neat that it exists? Yeah, totally, but it's an incredibly awful value given the pricing structure and history that already exists for the digital version.
That's literally every digital only game that's being brought to physical by these companies. Pretty much a moot point.

I would've preferred LRG to release GGC since it wouldve been 25+5 shipping. Easier to stomach than 38 bucks. Lol.

Pretty much a dick move by the Developer. The least they could do is tell LRG that they don't want to be in the contract anymore instead going behind their back like the Ghost Blade devs. A part of me believe it is a combination of impatience and trying to double their profits. Although it would've been better to let LRG do their release first so the worldwide publishing rights would've reverted to them so they could whatever they want with it. That's how I see it. 

Yeah agreed. This GG&C game is $2.50 on Steam. People have officially lost their shit. The physical preservation of two dollar games that nobody cares about.

If people want to buy to resell it then whatever. But there is a lot of hoarding sickness going on.

Yeah agreed. This GG&C game is $2.50 on Steam. People have officially lost their shit. The physical preservation of two dollar games that nobody cares about.

If people want to buy to resell it then whatever. But there is a lot of hoarding sickness going on.
Yeah, having it be $2.50 right now really hammers that home. These little throwaway games don't need to be flooding the physical market at extremely bloated prices to prey on people stupid enough to buy them. It works; it's apparently good business; and the trend is increasing, not decreasing; but it's still something that I view as a negative. Hell, I think GGC would have been a more reasonable offering if it had both games and came in a PA/EAS style limited edition box set. It would still not be a good value, but it would be much, much more reasonable.

digital vs physical is one thing when you're talking a $5 or $10 add-on, maybe even paying double if you truly love the game.   *wave* I am Setsuna.  But this is $2.50 vs $38.  We're on CAG.  I can't believe how crazy this fad has become.  People are buying bundle fodder at new release budget game pricing now. 

digital vs physical is one thing when you're talking a $5 or $10 add-on, maybe even paying double if you truly love the game. *wave* I am Setsuna. But this is $2.50 vs $38. We're on CAG. I can't believe how crazy this fad has become. People are buying bundle fodder at new release budget game pricing now.
Just remember the standard internet defenses, though:

-You can't tell me how to spend my money.

-If you don't like it don't buy it.

-You don't get to dictate value (never mind the obvious differences in quality, scope, and already extant pricing for these titles).

-I think it's worth it, so there's nothing at all wrong it being released this way at this price.

-It costs more to release these $5 to $10 cheap, digital games physically, so the consumer must eat all of that price difference, and you have to think that's okay because business! I defend this without any financial stake in said company, and I happily accept that I will spend more money due to this because I have an altruistic obligation to support these companies with my own hard earned money.

Because remember, kids, fuck critical thinking!

I was thinking about those trite cliches right after I submitted my last post. You are on top of things.   good job getting in front of that one LOL

bread's done
Back