Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but the Megaman cartridges are really dumb at $100.  Anyone who was super into these games when they were a kid should have the cartridges already.  Otherwise you can buy the Legacy Collection at a fraction of the price.  Are people really not over the full-sized physical retro cartridge console thing yet?  The NES ones that had trouble working even when everything was brand new in the 80s?  The Retrons that are so tight they get bent from inserting and removing games?  I mean get with the times.   I'm all about the preservation of physical media, collecting things that truly matter, but then there's this.

In the words of the great Sucklord:  "you're an asshole for buying this". 

Well, after that Street Fighter offering awhile back, no surprise to see some MM love. I guess for those who are truly big fans, this might tickle an itch, but at $100 it's an easy pass for me.

Do these have some same warning as the SF game, as it shouldn't be played, as it might burn your house down? LOL

Well, after that Street Fighter offering awhile back, no surprise to see some MM love. I guess for those who are truly big fans, this might tickle an itch, but at $100 it's an easy pass for me.

Do these have some same warning as the SF game, as it shouldn't be played, as it might burn your house down? LOL
Huge MM fan here and I wasn't in the least bit interested in this especially considering you can get the originals for cheaper then this. Don't really understand why they would pick these 2 considering these originals are readily available anyways.

Huge MM fan here and I wasn't in the least bit interested in this especially considering you can get the originals for cheaper then this. Don't really understand why they would pick these 2 considering these originals are readily available anyways.
Yeah, I'm a HUGE Street Fighter fan, and I passed on that offering as well. Honestly, I just didn't think there was a demand for that at the time, but it sold out rather quick. I'm thinking this is overproduced as well, but I was wrong before, so who knows how this may go?

It woulda been dope if they did a collection cartridge. There's plenty of those readily available. I would have bought a (semi) official one of those in a heartbeat. 

I see most of these going to people looking to flip them for quick cash

Yeah I definitely would have bought an official MM 1-6 cart, just megaman 2 for $100 is a nope

Same with MMX, if they could have somehow made a repro with X1-3 together, I've seen videos of a multicart but never looked at how it's done, I assume it requires a donor CX4 at bare minimum so it's probably not very economical

I see most of these going to people looking to flip them for quick cash
Exactly. Like Street Fighter, it's a hollow flipper's market based around initial demand spikes from the casual collector crowd. It's value (and sellout) is based solely upon aftermarket value perception.

I don't think this one is going to work though. But then again you can't estimate how many dumb casual collectors types there are out there. These things are really hard to gauge.

There seems to be a limited Edition Of Owlboy coming soon from SOEDESCO and is limited to 6000 pieces worldwide.............

owlboy-limited-2.png

Seriously Capcom/Iam8bit? I loove me some physical media but $100? You could buy both of the original carts for less and still have money to spare, plus those won't make your NES/SNES burst into flames (lol). Why do they keep reprinting games that are affordable and readily available? Why not reprint X2/X3 or Mega Man 7? Or Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES instead of plain ass SFII? Street Fighter 2 is probably the most re-released and ported game in the history of video games. You would have to make an effort to not own SFII at this point.

Seriously Capcom/Iam8bit? I loove me some physical media but $100? You could buy both of the original carts for less and still have money to spare, plus those won't make your NES/SNES burst into flames (lol). Why do they keep reprinting games that are affordable and readily available? Why not reprint X2/X3 or Mega Man 7? Or Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES instead of plain ass SFII? Street Fighter 2 is probably the most re-released and ported game in the history of video games. You would have to make an effort to not own SFII at this point.
Honestly, it's because Capcom USA is probably the most clueless companies around. Just look at the last 10 years or so of what they have offered online at their store, and you'll see just how bat shit crazy they are. LOL

Arguing over 100$ limited old school goodness but buying 80-100$ versions of limited physical 3$ garbage. Priceless.

Could someone please give me the generic play Asia discount code? I’m going to be ordering a game tomorrow and would appreciate the small savings.

Could someone please give me the generic play Asia discount code? I’m going to be ordering a game tomorrow and would appreciate the small savings.
MYPSVITA also gets you $3 off. I think there may be a few other $3 off codes floating around too, though you can only use one in any given order.

Also, just got an email saying Play-Asia will be releasing limited standard edition copies of Bleed and Bleed 2 for PS4. 1000 of each available. Bleed will be $15.99 and Bleed 2 $17.99 with free shipping. I wonder if you can use a $3 off code with each in 2 different orders (since both ship free) for final prices of $12.99 and $14.99 each?

I can't get any of the codes to work on either single copy of Bleed. Seems you need to combine them. Anyone get it to work on a single disk?

This seeems more appropriate here than in the CE thread:
[attachment=30164:75CDB7E7-B48C-4B69-91A6-2D75117D9ABB.jpeg]

Hopefully it'll be like "I am Setsuna" and play in English when you pop the JP cart in an American system. :pray:
So far every other release has worked this way, including the physical cartridge for Bayonetta 1.
Just wanted to quote these because I picked up the Japanese version of the Naruto Ninja Storm Trilogy and it turned out that unlike "I am Setsuna", it was solely in Japanese, not English. Wasn't able to get any info before hand and I made the mistake of assuming, so that's on me.

Looks like I'm cancelling my pre-orders for both parts of Rockman X collection and waiting to see what others say before I decide to get them or just cave and get the half assed US version.

Merge seems to be distributing to Best Buy, Amazon, Gamestop and Target in the United States, so it should be widely available like all of their upcoming releases.
I am still waiting on Best Buy to list some of their upcoming Switch releases like The Coma Recut and Slain: Back to Hell but I am sure they will be listed eventually (...hopefully).

I am still waiting on Best Buy to list some of their upcoming Switch releases like The Coma Recut and Slain: Back to Hell but I am sure they will be listed eventually (...hopefully).
I don't think any of their US releases have truly firm release dates yet. I've had all of them preordered on Amazon since they were listed and I keep getting revised release estimate e-mails. Even Brawlout is showing either 06/12 or 06/26 depending on the retailer. I wouldn't be surprised if it slips to July or August.

Sometimes I hate it when Play Asia is the only place to get something. Really wanted the Owl Boy limited editions but after looking at the cost after shipping.. yeah, no, just can't pull the trigger on that and sleep at night. Almost justified paying for it but the shipping quickly put an end to that.

I love collecting beautifully done limited editions but at some point a line has to be drawn on these things and this just ain't worth it.

Sometimes I hate it when Play Asia is the only place to get something. Really wanted the Owl Boy limited editions but after looking at the cost after shipping.. yeah, no, just can't pull the trigger on that and sleep at night. Almost justified paying for it but the shipping quickly put an end to that.

I love collecting beautifully done limited editions but at some point a line has to be drawn on these things and this just ain't worth it.
Play-Asia is just the first company to list the product. They've stated it's not exclusive to them.

Play-Asia is just the first company to list the product. They've stated it's not exclusive to them.
Oh, I was under the impression they were the exclusive provider. That would be awesome if true but can't find anything confirming who else will carry it. At the moment Play-Asia's the only place.

Sodesco announced on Twitter it would be in a few stores in many regions.

I just can’t understand a 6k print run for this and then split it up to only a few hundredish per retailer.

Sodesco announced on Twitter it would be in a few stores in many regions.

I just can’t understand a 6k print run for this and then split it up to only a few hundredish per retailer.
So far its only been smaller retailers it seems. Some European ones (which I assume are smaller since I never heard of them before), Play-Asia and now VGP (where its listed at $89.99 CDN).

Still passing unless it comes to Best Buy or I can get it for $50 or so.

No, there are currently R1 standard editions up for preorder at Best Buy, Amazon and Gamestop for $39.99 (so $31.99 after GCU or Prime).

bread's done
Back