Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how limited this game is yet, but Atari Flashback Classics for the Switch has been kind of funky. It launched this week at Gamestop and last week at Target, and stores for both apparently got very few copies. I picked mine up from Gamestop where they had one sealed copy and one "new" display copy. Both nearby Targets had none. It was orderable a couple times on Amazon and is currently unavailable. This could all just be because of a sloppy release, so if they get things figured out and this game becomes widely available I'll probably just return mine and wait for a sale. Anyway, here are a couple links in case anyone else has been looking forward to this one:

Target:https://www.target.com/p/atari-flashback-classics-nintendo-switch/-/A-54215371?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Video%2BGames%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Video%2BGames&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9020126&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1246978&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Video+Games+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Video+Games&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9020126&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6dLgBRDoARIsAJgoM4tJ-nNvv-fzA55pt2EPueMFedzYr3Cz-F7-z3z5STVpQ5pst3Jl7aAaAuwxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Gamestop:https://m.gamestop.com/product/nintendo-switch/games/atari-flashback-classics-switch/169919?cid=fds_10000777&CAWELAID=120192760000136781&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=31186746362&CATCI=aud-194829429122:pla-56128534817&&catargetid=120192760000092297&cadevice=m&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6dLgBRDoARIsAJgoM4ux-H1yR9Z5SdSI7edWt27Tp4nQEjojfuiSNGpyrGj0MqF9abp0SUgaAiI9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not sure how limited this game is yet, but Atari Flashback Classics for the Switch has been kind of funky. It launched this week at Gamestop and last week at Target, and stores for both apparently got very few copies. I picked mine up from Gamestop where they had one sealed copy and one "new" display copy. Both nearby Targets had none. It was orderable a couple times on Amazon and is currently unavailable. This could all just be because of a sloppy release, so if they get things figured out and this game becomes widely available I'll probably just return mine and wait for a sale. Anyway, here are a couple links in case anyone else has been looking forward to this one:

Target:https://www.target.com/p/atari-flashback-classics-nintendo-switch/-/A-54215371?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Video%2BGames%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Video%2BGames&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9020126&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1246978&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Video+Games+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Video+Games&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9020126&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6dLgBRDoARIsAJgoM4tJ-nNvv-fzA55pt2EPueMFedzYr3Cz-F7-z3z5STVpQ5pst3Jl7aAaAuwxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Gamestop:https://m.gamestop.com/product/nintendo-switch/games/atari-flashback-classics-switch/169919?cid=fds_10000777&CAWELAID=120192760000136781&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=31186746362&CATCI=aud-194829429122:pla-56128534817&&catargetid=120192760000092297&cadevice=m&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6dLgBRDoARIsAJgoM4ux-H1yR9Z5SdSI7edWt27Tp4nQEjojfuiSNGpyrGj0MqF9abp0SUgaAiI9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Rollercoaster Tycoon Adventures for the Switch, also by Atari is the same. My local Target had three copies this morning, but only three stores out of 20 in the area received any per Brickseek.

Rollercoaster Tycoon Adventures for the Switch, also by Atari is the same. My local Target had three copies this morning, but only three stores out of 20 in the area received any per Brickseek.
I had no idea Roller Coaster Adventures was even coming out. I knew Atari Flashback Classics was but I was waiting for Best Buy to list it. Now I am wondering if they ever will.

Dollhouse PS4 got delisted on Amazon, and got an approval required email
Soedesco responded to me on Twitter and did confirm that the physical PS4 copy is still happening, they weren't entirely sure why the asin was delisted either

I was kind of hyped for this compilation as the Switch is a great medium to play these types of games, they are quick and easy to play in short spurts on the go.

Unfortunately when I saw that AT Games was the one handling the emulation it immediately put a bad taste in my mouth. Everything I have seen from them is atrocious, primarily the Sega Genesis flashback units they keep releasing with awful emuilation, glitches, lag, and sound loss. I'm not sure how hard it really is to emulate Atari 2600 games, but I really don't want to support their cause.

Soedesco responded to me on Twitter and did confirm that the physical PS4 copy is still happening, they weren't entirely sure why the asin was delisted either
I just got an email from Amazon (after approving the keep my order) that the product has been removed completely. Other than email, I have no record of the order as far as I can see on Amazon and there is no page for the product anymore.

If anyone is interested, I managed to score 3 copies of the Japanese I Am Setsuna for Switch (which has English in game) that also has the official English cover art. These have been extremely obscure, so I'm pretty happy to have found some. If anyone is interested, PM me for details. I'm only looking for what I paid + shipping to you.

Asked on resetera and got ignored. Anyone here ordered a large quantity of games (6+) from Red Art to USA or Canada? Did you have to pay any kind of customs or importation fees? As in, do they pre-pay customs in their shipping fee like LRG does?

If anyone is interested, I managed to score 3 copies of the Japanese I Am Setsuna for Switch (which has English in game) that also has the official English cover art. These have been extremely obscure, so I'm pretty happy to have found some. If anyone is interested, PM me for details. I'm only looking for what I paid + shipping to you.
I think that one actually came out of generic "Asia" for it's release, I have the Japanese copy with Japanese art, shame that game never made it here physical

I think that one actually came out of generic "Asia" for it's release, I have the Japanese copy with Japanese art, shame that game never made it here physical
It was a Malaysia exclusive release--if I'm not mistaken--but it's the Japanese version (CERO rating and all), not the Asian version. It's a weird, niche release. I also have the standard Japanese version, and I'm excited to get this better one!

It was a Malaysia exclusive release--if I'm not mistaken--but it's the Japanese version (CERO rating and all), not the Asian version. It's a weird, niche release. I also have the standard Japanese version, and I'm excited to get this better one!
Did yours come with two cover inlays? The one I received had a Japanese inlay actually in the case, and the English inlay was just wrapped around it.

The English cover of I Am Seteuns was a Malaysia & Singapore exclusive. It was actually the Japanese version sealed, with an English language insert sealed (again) over the sealed package. I have a copy. :)

Because it was still a Japan-region game, though, it was the Japan rating symbol on the front of the English insert.

At least this is the one I have from when it was first released. This may have changed in later versions.

The English cover of I Am Seteuns was a Malaysia & Singapore exclusive. It was actually the Japanese version sealed, with an English language insert sealed (again) over the sealed package. I have a copy. :)

Because it was still a Japan-region game, though, it was the Japan rating symbol on the front of the English insert.

At least this is the one I have from when it was first released. This may have changed in later versions.
From my understanding, this is 100% correct and the only way the official English cover variant was released.

Yes, this is how mine was: double sealed.

Limited Run Games Backstock Blowout is going on now.
I picked up River City Melee (Classic Edition - PS4). I never had a chance to pick this up when it was originally released. Will look good next to my copy of double dragon. Also picked up the Steelbook blindbox (PS4).

Most games are still available now.

For those of you in to retro system cart releases, Super Fighter Team's latest "Vixen 357" for the Genesis is now open to pre-order. This appears to have been a fan translation years ago, and now this is a more official release of that version it seems. http://www.vixen357.com

2 Best Indie games now Pre-order at LRG. Celeste (10 out of 10) and Iconclasts (8.5-9 out of 10) for Switch. $70 plus shipping. Should get Free Shipping if you spend over $50.  Tempting!

2 Best Indie games now Pre-order at LRG. Celeste (10 out of 10) and Iconclasts (8.5-9 out of 10) for Switch. $70 plus shipping. Should get Free Shipping if you spend over $50. Tempting!
Iconoclasts is not until the 18th. Unfortunately you won't be able to combine into a single order. I'm hoping they announce something else good for the 18th.

2 Best Indie games now Pre-order at LRG. Celeste (10 out of 10) and Iconclasts (8.5-9 out of 10) for Switch. $70 plus shipping. Should get Free Shipping if you spend over $50. Tempting!
Yeah, I had planned to get Celeste for the NS, as it looks amazing, but I'll just see about buying it digital on my son's NS when the price is low enough(and I have time to play). I'm currently waiting to hear back from LRG, as I want to use my rewards tickets for Iconoclasts, so hopefully 2 weeks is enough time, but who knows???

Since when does LRG offer free shipping if you spend over $50??

Edit: Nevermind - looks like you are saying we should get free shipping if we spend over $50, but don't.

Iconoclasts is not until the 18th. Unfortunately you won't be able to combine into a single order. I'm hoping they announce something else good for the 18th.
Celeste preorder is open all month. Danmaku preorders went live yesterday too, so on the 18th it will be possible to get all three Switch games in one order. Which is what I plan to do, because they all look awesome.

Since when does LRG offer free shipping if you spend over $50??

Edit: Nevermind - looks like you are saying we should get free shipping if we spend over $50, but don't.
Yeah, I always thought they should have given out 2 tickets for CE considering the price is easily 2 standard games(and then some), but yeah, no cigar on that one either. LOL

I got Celeste for the ps4 from LGR but I am going to wait and get the switch version at best buy so I can use my GCU doing the same with windjammers  

It's nice if Bestbuy get Celeste and Iconclasts. I still have over $50 Reward so i can use them by March ;)
I highly doubt they will be available by then as the preorders don’t end until end of January unless BB have been getting them earlier then their own customers.

Edit: says Celeste “should” ship out late March but would take it with a grain of salt.

Best Buy is only ordering Switch games from LRG. They note which ones on the games page.

Are they really? On both PS4 and Swtich? Source? I will just skip the hassle of buying from LRG if BB will be selling it.
In the Email LRG sent out advertising the sale they mentioned that BB intended to order 5000 - 8000 copies of the Switch version. LRG hinted that Best Buy could back out, though I doubt they would. They would be more likely to back out of Windjammers for instance, as I can't see that being a big seller at BB.

So far, I believe this is the current complete list of LRG Switch titles Best Buy will be carrying:

Golf Story - $29.99 - available now

Yooka-Laylee - $49.99 - available now

Battle Chef Brigade - future title (5000 copies per LRG)

Windjammers - future title (5000 copies per LRG)

Celeste - future title - (5000 - 8000 copies per LRG email)

I also wouldn't be surprised if BB struck a deal to carry Cosmic Star Heroine and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse too, though didn't see any mention in the product description.

I will get them both if i ever see it at Bestbuy. Already picked up GOLF.  

I bought Golf Story and l can say in my state of Wisconsin, each Best Buy seems to get about 5 copies in stock at each store. Golf Story is running low at some stores now. Yooka-Laylee seems to be about the same amount (5 copies) as well. 

In the Email LRG sent out advertising the sale they mentioned that BB intended to order 5000 - 8000 copies of the Switch version. LRG hinted that Best Buy could back out, though I doubt they would. They would be more likely to back out of Windjammers for instance, as I can't see that being a big seller at BB.

So far, I believe this is the current complete list of LRG Switch titles Best Buy will be carrying:

I also wouldn't be surprised if BB struck a deal to carry Cosmic Star Heroine and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse too, though didn't see any mention in the product description.
Whats the point of getting it from LRG if BB is just going to stock them? Surely not for the different cover art. Right?

My store got a bunch of Yooka and the aren't really moving with the high price.
My store always seems to have the same amount of Golf Story. It seems like they have more stock of these LRG releases than they do for some of the other indie releases (Dead Cells, Monster Boy, Salt & Sanctuary).

My store got a bunch of Yooka and the aren't really moving with the high price.
If I recall correctly BB was getting 20K copies of Looka-Laylee which was kind of insane at the $49.99 price. Or maybe it was 10K? Either way it was a lot for the price.

My local BestBuy got 5 copies of Golf Story. I bought the last 2 today for a couple of friends in Canada who wanted them. I'm in a pretty small location and was shocked that at least 3 other people wanted this game locally. 

I have a feeling BestBuy is going to have to put them on sale or clearance to clear them out (especially Yooka). Good time to invest in popcorn for that inevitable backlash.

My local BestBuy got 5 copies of Golf Story. I bought the last 2 today for a couple of friends in Canada who wanted them. I'm in a pretty small location and was shocked that at least 3 other people wanted this game locally.
It's one of my favorite Indies on switch, plus I believe it is exclusive

I have a feeling BestBuy is going to have to put them on sale or clearance to clear them out (especially Yooka). Good time to invest in popcorn for that inevitable backlash.
They likely can't put them on sale because it was a one time buy from LRG and they aren't going to give them a break on the cost to move through them. BB would lose money on each copy sold if they put Yooka on sale for $40.

They likely can't put them on sale because it was a one time buy from LRG and they aren't going to give them a break on the cost to move through them. BB would lose money on each copy sold if they put Yooka on sale for $40.
There's an operations management term that's eluding me at the moment, but display space and the opportunity cost on displaying/storing other goods are legitimate reasons they may take a slight loss to clear them out.

Plus, LRG likely gave them some kind of bulk discount. Consider that if BB gets 10.000 copies at $40, sells 9,000 of them for $50, and the remaining 10% at $40 they still make $490,000 off of a $400,000 purchase. The numbers are arbitrary and there are other factors (CoGS is more than purchase price), but they wouldn't necessarily be losing money by discounting leftover inventory.

The art of Adventure Pals reminds me of the uniquely warped look of Castle Crashers or Alien Homnoid. The preorder seems to be selling healthy too.

Guess we can add Super Meat Boy to the list of LRG titles that Best Buy is carrying. No idea of the print size of the BB version, but its supposed to release 2/8/19 and they are taking preorders now on the BB website.

bread's done
Back