Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ordered the supposed physical release of Jackbox Party Pack 3 for Switch that Walmart has?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-The-Jackbox-Party-Pack-Switch-045496593483/932870486

The other two Jackbox games show as e-delivery but this one shows as a physically shipped item. Only thing I can guess is that its a voucher on a card.
All of the Jackbox games have a constant online requirement (including the physical release of the first one on PS4). So whether it's a cartridge or a voucher, it'll have terrible DRM either way.

[attachment=31679:eek:niken-odallus-collection-limited-edition-583543.27.jpg]

Play-Asia is releasing the Oniken-Odallus Collection on Switch on one cart on 1/24.

They are also releasing a PS4 version but this will be on two discs. If you buy both you get a free sleeve to hold both games. Reviews for both of these games are very positive so I will pick up the Switch release.

oniken-odallus-collection-limited-edition-583543.27.jpg

Play-Asia is releasing the Oniken-Odallus Collection on Switch on one cart on 1/24.
They are also releasing a PS4 version but this will be on two discs. If you buy both you get a free sleeve to hold both games. Reviews for both of these games are very positive so I will pick up the Switch release.
Will get the PS4 version pending price.

How difficult is oniken? Heard it’s hard but I’m accustoned to NES games. Is there a difficult selection option?

Any guess on price?

Damn, this seems kind of quirky and reminds me a little of Katamari Damacy. Think I may have to pick it up!
I played it on PC, it's entertaining, it was fun, but at least in so far as I am in the game there was no real challenge, didn't have to fight a timer or meet any specific goals or anything like that, just move the hole around to suck things in, get larger hole, suck larger things in, repeat til stage ends, fun but yeah

Will get the PS4 version pending price.

How difficult is oniken? Heard it’s hard but I’m accustoned to new games. Is there a difficult selection option?

Any guess on price?
PS4 is 25$ USD each -- get both for a special case.

Switch is 40$ USD for a 2-in-1 cart with a soundtrack. PS4 owners got the short end of the stick here.

Difficulty is kinda hard. Not sure if you can adjust difficulty. But graphics and soundtrack are top notch!

PS4 is 25$ USD each -- get both for a special case.

Switch is 40$ USD for a 2-in-1 cart with a soundtrack. PS4 owners got the short end of the stick here.

Difficulty is kinda hard. Not sure if you can adjust difficulty. But graphics and soundtrack are top notch!
Thanks, where did you see pricing listed for PS4? I have never ordered from play Asia before… Any promo code for free shipping or anything I should know of?

Thanks, where did you see pricing listed for PS4? I have never ordered from play Asia before… Any promo code for free shipping or anything I should know of?
Play-Asia mentioned the pricing for the PS4 version in the email detailing the release. Both the Switch and PS4 versions will have free shipping already attached.

Read reviews on wonderboy returns and they were not too hot

Odallus and oniken are available today at 10 ET for PS4 and switch courtesy of play Asia

I ordered the standard version of Odallus + Oniken Collection for Switch today and I was able to use a $3off coupon code with the order dropping it to $26.99. The promotion field was available during checkout. It had been turned off for some of the recent play exclusives.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but Play Asia said they are working to improve their shipment speeds and what not https://twitter.com/JPSWITCHMANIA/status/1088094261814480896

Ugh. They're doing a CE exclusive cover again. This is turning into a really nasty pattern (two covers for Stardust Galaxy Warriors, a standard and CE cover for Umihara, and now this). It's almost like they know that their market are crazy collectors and this will make them more money. 

I ordered the standard version of Odallus + Oniken Collection for Switch today and I was able to use a $3off coupon code with the order dropping it to $26.99. The promotion field was available during checkout. It had been turned off for some of the recent play exclusives.
Thank You just ordered the collectors for the Switch came out to $36.99 after the coupon. I wish Limited Run Games would be this good on prices.

hadn't check up on it in awhile, but apparently the Paprium situation continues to get worse, gonna be surprised if that thing ever gets released / if they resume giving refunds

what coupon code did you use at checkout?

FYI: Gamestop currently has the physical version of Katamari Damacy Reroll in stock for the Nintendo Switch.

https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/katamari-damacy-reroll/168393

This game is exclusive to Gamestop and has been out of stock online and in stores since sometime in December. Could signify they are getting a restock at stores eventually, but I would pick up a copy now if you want to ensure you get one. Prices were sitting at $80-$100 on ebay for a few weeks, but have settled at $60 more recently.

Second batch of monster boy goes live soon I believe

edit: I meant Wonder Boy, oops

Did anyone order Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (Switch) at Best Buy? Supposed to be out today, but my pre-order never shipped.
I didn't even know this was getting a rerelease, much less that it was coming out today (and out of stock now on BB's website). :(

I thought Grim Fandango (PS4) was supposed to be an Iam8bit exclusive, but there is a preorder listing on BullMoose.com now. Supposed to release this Friday 2/1. I wonder if this is a mistake or if other retailers are now going to carry it.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/28430581/ps4-grim-fandango

Edit: Looks like they are also carrying the vinyl soundtrack to Donut County (though not the game just yet):

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/29034709/donut-county-soundtrack-daniel-koestner-2lp
Interesting, never heard of Bullmoose

I'm trying to pick up some of the earlier Sodesco PS4 games right now and I'm having a hard time confirming the existence of one. "Defunct" is listed as a game they released on their site, but I can't find any traces of a physical copy on eBay, Amazon, or the usual places. Does anyone own it or know if it at least came out physical?

I'm trying to pick up some of the earlier Sodesco PS4 games right now and I'm having a hard time confirming the existence of one. "Defunct" is listed as a game they released on their site, but I can't find any traces of a physical copy on eBay, Amazon, or the usual places. Does anyone own it or know if it at least came out physical?
I don't recall that being released in the States and I've been following releases pretty steady over the last 3 plus years.

Looks like it's Defunct in the US.

Ohohoho, I'll see myself out now.

I don't recall that being released in the States and I've been following releases pretty steady over the last 3 plus years.
Yeah, I just find it weird because every other game listed under PS4>Games on their site but this one I can confirm a physical release or upcoming physical release of. I can't even find traces of an EU copy of Defunct.

Yeah, I just find it weird because every other game listed under PS4>Games on their site but this one I can confirm a physical release or upcoming physical release of. I can't even find traces of an EU copy of Defunct.
The company that I have had the most trouble finding out which releases actually got released in North America is UIG Entertainment. It seems like some of their stuff you can find at Walmart (the Professional Farmer games for example) but there are a whole bunch others I have only seen on EBay for example (Forestry 2017, Firefighter The Simulation, etc). Their website isn't even helpful as they only show a few of their ESRB-rated titles. And Amazon doesn't seem to have listings for most of their titles either. Its kind of a pain in the ass trying to track them all down.

The company that I have had the most trouble finding out which releases actually got released in North America is UIG Entertainment. It seems like some of their stuff you can find at Walmart (the Professional Farmer games for example) but there are a whole bunch others I have only seen on EBay for example (Forestry 2017, Firefighter The Simulation, etc). Their website isn't even helpful as they only show a few of their ESRB-rated titles. And Amazon doesn't seem to have listings for most of their titles either. Its kind of a pain in the ass trying to track them all down.
I was exchanging e-mails with the guy they hired for PR in the US a while back and he kept saying that they just didn't have enough supply to send to Amazon.com, even though many of their titles were released at Walmart in Canada and on Amazon.ca. I ended up getting all the games they released through a Canadian friend. It sounds like they have given up on the North American market completely at this point.

bread's done
Back