Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
My PS4 Ultracore CE wasn't sealed. Not a big deal as I was going to open anyway. Switch version was sealed but both coasters or whatever are very scratched up.
Mine is sealed, but feels like everything is loose inside. Like the art box doesnt have anything holding the stuff on place. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Another new limited print company, but this one is putting out a game I actually want. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a shitshow.
https://twitter.com/PhysicalityGame/status/1235625455199358978?s=19

Another new limited print company, but this one is putting out a game I actually want. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a shitshow.
https://twitter.com/PhysicalityGame/status/1235625455199358978?s=19
Their proposed business model is terrible. They are going to open up preorders until they hit a certain threshold that makes the print viable and then they will order the print run. Then, they promise to keep reprinting as long as there is demand and to print extra copies beyond the preorders. I mean, they are literally expecting some people to risk their money for who knows how long to fund a print run that will then be available to everyone who doesn't want to take any risk. They should fund the first run themselves and then just do reprints as needed. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

They secured a decent release at least. It’s nothing to look at but Rolling Gunner has ex-Cave members on board. Reviews are generally positive.

Their proposed business model is terrible. They are going to open up preorders until they hit a certain threshold that makes the print viable and then they will order the print run. Then, they promise to keep reprinting as long as there is demand and to print extra copies beyond the preorders. I mean, they are literally expecting some people to risk their money for who knows how long to fund a print run that will then be available to everyone who doesn't want to take any risk. They should fund the first run themselves and then just do reprints as needed. This is a disaster waiting to happen.
If anyone is stupid enough to give this a go, well they have more money than sense apparently, and I'm sure this won't be the first time they part with it. LOL

To some degree this is how most publishers actually handle things.  They have retailers put out preorders and that secures lots of sales which they use to predict the production size.  If the production sells out fast, the publisher often runs another batch.  Just like book publishers that have a hot book don't just sit on it when it sells out but hurry to get more out there.

The big difference here is not waiting some extra long time between preorders and production since they don't wait for preorders to end on some specific date but rather when they hit a target.  Oh and they use the funds collected to place the order (which is no different than any other limited print company now).   So, I'd imagine there's a good chance you'd actually get your fuck quicker than some of these limited print companies that do preorders for weeks on end and then take months to actually deliver.

The big risk is if a game doesn't sell enough, but then it's a refund away and they don't produce the game.  So they need to publish games that actually have some quality to them so they sell.   As far as resellers go, this will hurt those that are quick flippers and that can't hold onto something till it's well done being produced and rare enough to possibly make a profit.  I'm not bothered by them being hurt at all.

To some degree this is how most publishers actually handle things. They have retailers put out preorders and that secures lots of sales which they use to predict the production size. If the production sells out fast, the publisher often runs another batch. Just like book publishers that have a hot book don't just sit on it when it sells out but hurry to get more out there.

The big difference here is not waiting some extra long time between preorders and production since they don't wait for preorders to end on some specific date but rather when they hit a target. Oh and they use the funds collected to place the order (which is no different than any other limited print company now). So, I'd imagine there's a good chance you'd actually get your fuck quicker than some of these limited print companies that do preorders for weeks on end and then take months to actually deliver.

The big risk is if a game doesn't sell enough, but then it's a refund away and they don't produce the game. So they need to publish games that actually have some quality to them so they sell. As far as resellers go, this will hurt those that are quick flippers and that can't hold onto something till it's well done being produced and rare enough to possibly make a profit. I'm not bothered by them being hurt at all.
No, it really isn't though. Generally, publishers solicit orders of upcoming games from distributors and through retailers and don't require payment until delivery. That's why many retailers allow customers to place preorders without any money down or a minimal amount.

This is literally all of the worst parts of the current limited run market with added uncertainty and waiting time and no FOMO to actually push sales and close that preorder window so the people brave enough to take the risk don't get stuck either waiting for months until the window closes or the print is declared non-viable. Adding steelbooks and metal cases into the mix almost guarantees that wait times are going to be significantly beyond just getting a game approved and pressed. This is a total mess and I would not be surprised if we have another Warned situation on our hands with this one.

You have a good point with all the bundled crap they throw in.  Same problem LRG is having with it being produced in china and taking forever to ship by boat and worse now withe the coronavirus shutting down manufacturers.

Pretty much all limited companies now take forever to actually produce and ship stuff except maybe Play-Asia.  They seem to do more up front work for games before selling them.

This smells a lot like the Warned Collectors debacle, which crashed and burned hard. I won't be making that mistake again.

Just read through their Twitter and yep, this is pretty much what it sounds like so far. Hopefully they're just doing a crappy job with their messaging, because the whole "give us money now, maybe get a game sometime" is definitely not going to fly.

Rolling Gunner is one of a few physical games that I've been looking forward to, so I'm trying my best to stay optimistic. "Hopefully it isn't a shitshow" and "hopefully their messaging sucks" isn't a great start though.

[quote name="Darshminder" post="14269363" timestamp="1583447183"]

This smells a lot like the Warned Collectors debacle, which crashed and burned hard. I won't be making that mistake again.[/quote

Out of the loop on this one, could you share what happened? I don't recall hearing the name Warned Collectors before

Got a quick question for you astute Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release collectors. Anybody know if Eastasia/play asia physical release games ever come back in stock? I'm specifically asking in regards to Death Road to Canada Nintendo Switch (limited or regular), as I could have sworn that I've seen the Switch physical pop back in stock, only for it to disappear before I can get my CC out. It pops up saying something like 1 or 2 in stock and then disappears. Anybody know why or seen this thing before?

[quote name="itzd4n" post="14269461" timestamp="1583470401"][quote name="Darshminder" post="14269363" timestamp="1583447183"]This smells a lot like the Warned Collectors debacle, which crashed and burned hard. I won't be making that mistake again.[/quote

Out of the loop on this one, could you share what happened? I don't recall hearing the name Warned Collectors before[/quote]

They created a website a few years ago with open preorders for 3-4 games, and had long delays on Twitter regarding updates on the existing orders placed. When they did update with "confirmation" of the game orders, they were called out by similar companies by pointing out that they had just barely started the process, and that they had made very little progress without any guarantee for actual products. Sure enough, they've completely ghosted the community since then, will not return customer service inquires, and people who have past the PayPal window of protection are conned out of their money. I was lucky enough to open a case with PayPal within that timeframe, and get my money back before it was too late, but many other people weren't as lucky.

Got a quick question for you astute Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release collectors. Anybody know if Eastasia/play asia physical release games ever come back in stock? I'm specifically asking in regards to Death Road to Canada Nintendo Switch (limited or regular), as I could have sworn that I've seen the Switch physical pop back in stock, only for it to disappear before I can get my CC out. It pops up saying something like 1 or 2 in stock and then disappears. Anybody know why or seen this thing before?
They sell their leftover stock (reserved for returns/damaged games/etc.) but they usually announce it a week or so beforehand. If it popped in and out that quickly it was probably just a glitch - their website is a bit dated and it wouldn't surprise me.

https://twitter.com/REDARTGAMES/status/1235883987312222208?s=20
Am I missing something? I went to their website when I got their email about this and didn't see any sales and just checked again and don't see any PS4 or Vita games on sale.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see they are just showing the markdown prices rather than showing a slashed sale price like they did for their last sale.

I can't justify $500 for an NES, but the NT mini looks lovely!
Aaaaaand... it's gone. The pre-order quantity they decided on has sold-out, and there is no longer any opportunity to acquire one of these things at the original price. Anyone hoping to get their hands on an Analogue NT Mini will be dropping MORE than $500 on it for the foreseeable future. It will now enter the status of truly collectible premium items.

Here's hoping we either get a NES-equivalent re-make system from Analogue in the future, or perhaps cartridge adapters for the Super NT. We probably won't get an announcement for anything like that until after the NT Pocket is shipping.

It's fine.

I'm not trying to spend $500 on an NES.  I already have one of those in my mini.   It's 2020; I'm trying to spend $500 on a PS5 and/or an RTX 3070. 

I'm not trying to spend $500 on an NES.
As will be the case with most people. Even I, crazed collector that I am, wasn't willing to pony up enough for this thing. Of course, there were clearly enough other people who were willing to.

It is highly likely that Analogue will provide an alternative in the next year or two that will go for a much lower price. (somewhere in the $190-$220 range) I would expect that the revised 8-Bit NT would only have one NES-specific cartridge slot, no analog video out, and possibly no famicom expansion port or microphone port. (although those two options would be more of a question mark) It would also likely come bundled with a cartridge adapter for famicom titles. (similar to how they approached the Mega SG)

It's also possible that they would simply provide some NES and Famicom cartridge adapters for the Super NT, but I think this slightly less likely. Their production-model systems seem to be the ones they intend to keep in more permanent rotation, and it makes more sense financially to have a separate model for playing NES-Famicom titles. This becomes even more likely if a production-model NES system came with the Famicom expansion port and microphone port. They could also provide additional cartridge adapters for systems like the Commodore 64, Intellivision, etc...

All of this speculation will have to wait, though, as the Pocket will be their next big push, and will likely get quite a bit of attention over the course of 2020.

I am unreasonably excited for that little thing.
Playing classic handheld titles is a bit of a headache. This is doubly so when attempting to play them on a television. Right now one of my best options is to use my original Super Game Boy in conjunction with my Analogue Super NT. For playing them handheld, your best bet is to mod a GBA.

Having an FPGA-fueled handheld with an extreme high-resolution screen and docking capabilities for no-compromise television playback is going to be incredible. Very much looking forward to the Pocket. I'm also crossing my fingers that they may eventually release a TurboGrfx-16 card adapter for it. (to get some of that Turbo-Express functionality)

Just an FYI, Nicalis newsletter teased "Ikaruga annoucement coming soon"

Doesn't mean much since they've been doing it for a while now, but I don't think I saw anything about it in the last couple emails.  

Heads up CAGS, Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection for Nintendo Switch seems to have completely dried up from all of my local stores. GameStop, Target, Walmart, Amazon. All Out Of Stock at the moment. Maybe retailers will receive more copies soon tho for all I know, but I figured I’d mention it incase any CAGs still wanted to pick it up & have an available Nintendo Switch copy to purchase in their area.

Heads up CAGS, Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection for Nintendo Switch seems to have completely dried up from all of my local stores. GameStop, Target, Walmart, Amazon. All Out Of Stock at the moment. Maybe retailers will receive more copies soon tho for all I know, but I figured I’d mention it incase any CAGs still wanted to pick it up & have an available Nintendo Switch copy to purchase in their area.
The PS4 version recently came back in stock on Amazon, haven't seen the Switch or Xbox One versions come back though.

Considering the other Mega Man Switch games are still readily available, I have no doubt it will come back in stock. Wouldn't be surprised if Corona was slowing restocks down.

Interesting I saw last week I think a bunch at Best Buy and I was like eh. I was picking up Rune Factory 4 at the time. I want that game but I tend to get those games at 50% off digitally eventually. Thanks for letting us know.

Google search shows I can buy it at half a dozen places for retail. Also shows it’s in stock at B&Ms all over.

Probably a regional thing.

Considering the other Mega Man Switch games are still readily available, I have no doubt it will come back in stock. Wouldn't be surprised if Corona was slowing restocks down.
A distinct possibility. Before anyone panics over low stock items, it would be good to remember that we're in the middle of an international epidemic scare. And the epicenter for this contagion is a nation known for its large-scale production and fabrication facilities. Low stock, lowered production, and slower commerce is just going to be a thing for a while. Brace yourself and get used to it.

I do agree stock will just not be the same for more niche games, so if you want to buy them physically it may be smarter to buy earlier than wait for drops, but yeah it's just what everyone needs to deal with right now.

My store still has 1 copy left for each system. A lot of movies and games are taking their time getting restocked. More than likely the factories were busy with big new releases like Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing before going back to resume making stuff with smaller orders like a Mega Man restock.

bread's done
Back