io9.com's list of 25 classic sci-fi films (& 20 TV shows) that everyone should watch.

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Nice list of 25 classic sci-fi films that everyone should watch, on io9.com:

http://io9.com/5619137/25-classic-science-fiction-movies-that-everybody-must-watch

I've seen 23 out of the 25, and I've yet to see Primer and Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, though I own Eternal Sunshine in HD-DVD.

08/26/10 EDIT:
They added a new list, top 20 classic sci-fi TV shows:
http://io9.com/5622910/the-top-20-essential-science-fiction-tv-shows

That list is 20 out of 20 for me, though I agree with a couple of the posters on that link that there are some missing shows, such as Space 1999, UFO, Space: Above And Beyond. Plus more, I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Primer is a great time travel movie that needs multiple viewings (and possibly friends to go "huh?" with).
Eternal Sunshine is billed/advertised as a Romantic Comedy, but really leans more towards scifi. I guess it could be a hardcore scifi with a romantic "comedy" twist?

Found this in the discussion which was a list of 25 "supplemental" films to the list:

1. Flash Gordon/King of the Rocketmen ( all the Republic serials)
2. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers
3.The Time Machine (Geo Pal)
4. The Tenth Victim
5. Seconds
6. Farenheit 451
7. Barbarella
8. Westworld
9. Fantastic Planet
10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
11. Buckaroo Banzai
12. Tank Girl
13. The Rocketeer
14. eXistenZ
15. Minority Report
16. La Jette (better than 12 Monkeys)
17. Dark City
18. Men in Black
19. The Fifth Element
20. A Scanner Darkly
21. Serenity
22. Akira
23. Ghost in the Shell II
24. Independence Day
25. Avatar

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my favorite movies of all time. That's saying a lot. It's in my top five.

I've only seen 10 from the list.

I Got to admit, for the most part I agree with a film list. Though I think calling Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind a sci-fi film is kinda pushing it.

The one thing that strikes me about that list is the number of great SF movies from 1982. God, Starlog was such a good read back then.

Only ones I haven't seen yet are Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still. Pretty good list though, I can't really find any faults.

I've seen half the list. I've never even heard of Brazil and I haven't seen some of the older movies so I added some to my Netflix queue. I wish they would have put Close Encounters on that list, that's a very odd omission to me. And I'd say Eternal Sunshine is just as sci-fi as Inception.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Some of the best cinematography I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. The scene where Clive Owen and the preggers girls are running away from the gunfire in the run down city is amazing.

Also, Michael Caine playing a dirty old hippy is awesome. :lol:

I've seen 15/25, with 3 of the unseen movies in my house (2001, Brazil, Blade Runner). The others besides Inception and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I'll watch on Netflix.

I liked the opening scene of Children of Man.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Got to admit, for the most part I agree with a film list. Though I think calling Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind a sci-fi film is kinda pushing it.[/QUOTE]

Same with Children of Men. The Road > Children of Men in the post apocalyptic genre. Or at least, if anything, The Road is the most subtly terrifying post-apocalyptic movie.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I've seen 14. Always wanted to watch Metropolis.[/QUOTE]I missed the chance to see the restored version that was out over earlier in the summer, though I heard it was amazing. I think the BR will be worth buying day 1.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Same with Children of Men. The Road > Children of Men in the post apocalyptic genre. Or at least, if anything, The Road is the most subtly terrifying post-apocalyptic movie.[/QUOTE]Agreed on that statement. It's truly disturbing to see the lengths people would go to survive.

It's a decent list.

Sadly no Gattaca. Easily the most underrated sci-fi movie of all-time.

Also the 13th floor was awesome, no need to take pot-shots at a great sci-fi movie that had the misfortune of being released at the same time as the Matrix.

Especially when the author has a chick flick like Eternal Sunshit on his list. There are a ton of sci-fi movies I'd recommend ahead of Eternal Sunshit. If you wanted a sci-fi movie about relationships and loss, Solaris or Contact more then fit the bill. I'd even take some shmaltzy crap like Frequency over Eternal Sunshit. fuck I'd rather watch some crappy youtube mashup of Jar Jar Binks, Wesley Crusher, and Mansquito over Enternal Sunshit!

And don't get me started about Brazil. To that guy who put it on his list - you will be sorry dude. You will be sorry. I'm a guy who loves David Lynch flicks - so believe me when I say that the Brazil movie is strange and pointless. I don't see why you choose Brazil when Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkies was completely awesome.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Same with Children of Men. The Road > Children of Men in the post apocalyptic genre. Or at least, if anything, The Road is the most subtly terrifying post-apocalyptic movie.[/QUOTE]

I watched The Road with my girlfriend at the time, and we didn't talk the whole movie. After the movie was over, I looked at her and she was balling her eyes out. Powerful stuff.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Same with Children of Men. The Road > Children of Men in the post apocalyptic genre. Or at least, if anything, The Road is the most subtly terrifying post-apocalyptic movie.[/QUOTE]
Thinking about both those movies and they both have the problem of not being sci-fi as much as suspense genre movies. Since both have some unexplained event that they never thoroughly go into and they have to do best they can to survive. Not bashing either one, but I fail to see anything that makes me think they're part of that.

Though with those movies on the list I do question how one fell through the cracks, which is the original Godzilla/Gojira.

I have not seen 3 of the movies listed.

Actually, just saw "Moon" on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. Worth watching for the ending alone.

Brazil? :puke: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen was so much better!

If any of you guys have not seen Forbidden Planet, it is a must see! Looking at the special effects, its hard to comprehend the movie was made in the early 50's! Robbie the Robot is the best! :D

For the record, I loved most of the Matrix Reloaded. The scene with Neo fighting all The Smiths & The "freeway part"? INCREDIBLE!

Should also be "Aliens", not Alien.

Let the the flaming begin! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
No "The Thing" on the list makes me a sad panda. Otherwise seems like a good list to me. I've only seen about half of the movies on there though.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I watched The Road with my girlfriend at the time, and we didn't talk the whole movie. After the movie was over, I looked at her and she was balling her eyes out. Powerful stuff.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I'm going to assume you meant 'bawling', but your version would be "powerful stuff" as well.

[quote name='Fanboy']:rofl:

I'm going to assume you meant 'bawling', but your version would be "powerful stuff" as well.[/QUOTE]I'm sure that could be even more powerful stuff, depending the number of balls involved.

[quote name='cgarb84']No "The Thing" on the list makes me a sad panda. Otherwise seems like a good list to me. I've only seen about half of the movies on there though.[/QUOTE]

The Thing - 1982.

Going back to my previous point - what a year for terrific SF movies. Adding The Thing would give 1982 20% of the list.

I saw about 10 films in its entirety, while 5 movies I watched parts of. Good list, but I wish Fifth Element was in the top somewhere.

Glad to say I've seen every movie on that list, at first I didn't see Metropolis on the list and almost lost my shit, haha.

[quote name='FroMann']I saw about 10 films in its entirety, while 5 movies I watched parts of. Good list, but I wish Fifth Element was in the top somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the 5th element.

The list is really solid, though. Well thought out. Thanks for posting it OP.

I would of vouched to see "Contact" and "Sunshine" on that list, even do people hate on there twist.

I'm amazed Avatar isn't on it.....:roll:

I've only really watch two series on that list, The Twilight Zone and The Tick. Where is the 60's The Outer Limits? I'd say Taken was a serious omission but I guess mini series aren't what they were looking for.

[quote name='shrike4242']They added a list of 20 sci-fi TV shows as well:
http://io9.com/5622910/the-top-20-essential-science-fiction-tv-shows

I'm 20 out of 20 on that list.[/QUOTE]

Firefly, baby. Firefly.

[quote name='bardockkun']Thinking about both those movies and they both have the problem of not being sci-fi as much as suspense genre movies.[/QUOTE]

They're the post-apocalyptic genre (such as The Stand, Book Of Eli, Waterworld, etc). And yes, I agree that those don't qualify as sci-fi. Road Warrior didn't either, which is basically the penultimate post-apocalypse genre entry.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Firefly, baby. Firefly.

They're the post-apocalyptic genre (such as The Stand, Book Of Eli, Waterworld, etc). And yes, I agree that those don't qualify as sci-fi. Road Warrior didn't either, which is basically the penultimate post-apocalypse genre entry.[/QUOTE]

We should make the top 20 post-apocalypse movie list.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']We should make the top 20 post-apocalypse movie list.[/QUOTE]

Here's a few great ones

The Stand
The Omega Man (black albino vampires FTW)
Mad Max
The Road Warrior
The Road
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
12 Monkeys
Six String Samurai
Logan's Run
Children of Men
Strange Days

[quote name='JP']20/25 on the movies, 15/20 on the tv shows. I'm slacking greatly.[/QUOTE]You're busy doing the GS lists. You're forgiven. ;)

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Here's a few great ones

The Stand
The Omega Man (black albino vampires FTW)
Mad Max
The Road Warrior
The Road
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
12 Monkeys
Six String Samurai
Logan's Run
Children of Men
Strange Days[/QUOTE]Can't forget A Boy And His Dog as well as Planet Of the Apes / Beneath The Planet of the Apes for the post-apocalypse movies. I'd disagree with Strange Days, since it's not really post-apocalypse IMO.

[quote name='Scorch']Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my favorite movies of all time. That's saying a lot. It's in my top five.[/QUOTE]

This. You need to watch it soon Shrike.

I've only seen 13 on the movies list and 2 from the TV shows.

Primer is an amazing (and amazingly confusing) movie. Definitely worth a viewing. Even though it'll probably require several. Anybody who claims to understand that movie the first time through is full of it.

I need to see:

Metropolis
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
Mad Max 2
Brazil
Ghost In The Shell
Primer
Moon
District 9
Inception

I'm surprised I saw a good amount of the movies listed. Also, Moon, District 9 and Inception are all really new and I planned to see District 9 and Inception at some point. I love these types of lists - sci-fi is probably my favorite genre so I need to get on this ASAP!

EDIT: I can't believe 12 Monkeys didn't make the list. I love that movie.

[quote name='life.exe']This. You need to watch it soon Shrike.

I've only seen 13 on the movies list and 2 from the TV shows.[/QUOTE]I'll see what I can do to get that little situation fixed for Eternal Sunshine.

Which ones have you seen from movies and TV? I'd like to toss out some recommendations.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Primer is an amazing (and amazingly confusing) movie. Definitely worth a viewing. Even though it'll probably require several. Anybody who claims to understand that movie the first time through is full of it.[/QUOTE]I'll have to check it out via Netflix when I get a chance.

[quote name='javeryh']I need to see:
Metropolis
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
Mad Max 2
Brazil
Ghost In The Shell
Primer
Moon
District 9
Inception

I'm surprised I saw a good amount of the movies listed. Also, Moon, District 9 and Inception are all really new and I planned to see District 9 and Inception at some point. I love these types of lists - sci-fi is probably my favorite genre so I need to get on this ASAP!

EDIT: I can't believe 12 Monkeys didn't make the list. I love that movie.[/QUOTE]Metropolis is coming out with a newly expanded and cleaned up version on BluRay and DVD, so you should wait for that one before trying to see it.

Inception should still be out, so you should luck out and still be able to see it in the theatres. District 9 is a great movie for surround sound, and it's making the rounds on Starz and Starz In-Demand right now.

You have some nice ones to go see, especially with Forbidden Planet and Day The Earth Stood Still (the remake is a mess compared to the original).

0/20 on the TV shows (as having seen a complete series). To this day, I've failed to find a sci-fi TV show that captures and holds my interest. I tried Battlestar Galatica, I've seen Star Trek, Star Gate and many others. Some of the longer series (Twilight Zone) have good episodes, but nothing that makes me want to watch the series. I'm a terrible nerd.

11 for 25 on the movies, but at least now I have several for my "to watch one day" list. I just hardly ever watch movies anymore, because if I happen to have 90-120 mins of free time, I'd rather play a video game.

bread's done
Back