iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought Lets Golf 2 as well and it reminds me a lot of mario golf, which is exactly what I was looking for. Golf on the iPad actually works, which is something I can't say for a lot of other games. You only get "tap" as your one input on ipad. For most games that's a problem but that's all you really need for golf.

[quote name='abert78160']I went ahead and picked up let's golf 2 today. Have only played it for a bit but I think it's definitely worth .99. A lot of stuff to unlock and options and nice simple arcade golf mechanics. Also, I saw that the settlers is on sale for $.99 as well, not listed in the above sale.[/QUOTE]

How are the physics? Some reviews I read said they were pretty bad, as in not very realistic.

[quote name='keithp']How are the physics? Some reviews I read said they were pretty bad, as in not very realistic.[/QUOTE]

like i said i haven't played extensively yet but i haven't noticed anything really wonky. like was mentioned above, it's a lot like mario golf, something along those lines. you have the ability to put forward and backward spin on the ball while it's in the air with the swipe of a finger. for $.99 i think it's a good buy.

It's not on sale, but I give a thumbs up to the heavily Elite Beat Agents influenced (in gameplay), ReRave. EBA but multitouch, which makes the gameplay even better. Game is very addicting and you can download something like 10 free songs for the $1.99 entry fee. Then DLC song packs can be purchased for 99c or $2.99. Strangely the $2.99 packs come with 5 songs while the 99c ones come with two. I'm not sure about the math their, but ultimately I'll probably download all of them. Great game!

http://appshopper.com/games/rerave (Universal)

I played on my iPad. It may or may not be as nice on an iPhone.

I just bought let's golf 2, thanks! I loved the first one on the iPod touch and was waiting for the ipad version to go on sale.

[quote name='jlarlee']Breaking down and getting an Iphone tommorrow. I see there are a lot of Zelda like RPGs which is cool but I'm not seeing any Strategy RPGS on the front page at least. Are there any decent games in the FF Tactics/Disgaea mold?[/QUOTE]
Two of my classic console favorites -- Military Madness: Neo Nectaris and Shining Force -- are both on iPhone. Both are a very small file size, too.
Shining Force is only $0.99: http://appshopper.com/games/shining-force
Nectaris is $4.99: http://appshopper.com/games/military-madness-neo-nectaris

Question: is there a reason to update World of Goo HD if you have it on iPad? The last two updates where to make it universal and retina display added. IMO they should have done that to the non-HD version.

[quote name='Stimes']Question: is there a reason to update World of Goo HD if you have it on iPad? The last two updates where to make it universal and retina display added. IMO they should have done that to the non-HD version.[/QUOTE]

It also said it had bug fixes. I updated but haven't yet tried it since the update.

Ooo! I was intersted in warpgate but I wasn't desperate enough for a new game to pay $8 for it. Free is a good price for me!

Any good cheap or free multiplayer games available? Me and my buds already have:

Need for Speed Shift
Battlefield Bad Company 2
KartRacer

Any tips would be appreciated.

Wriggle is one of the new FAAD games.
"A new kind of puzzle game has crawled into the App Store and it's called Wriggle!
YOUR GOAL is to free the blue worm (by dragging its head or tail) from the maze in as few moves possible.
UNLOCK ACHIEVEMENTS by solving puzzles perfectly or simply by completing as many as you can.
FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY as kids will enjoy the easy ones while the expert puzzles will be challenging for the most brilliant puzzle fanatics."

Rat On A Skateboard just received a sizable update and is currently available for FREE.
"Ratty is back in his MOST ANTICIPATED adventure to ever hit the iPhone/iDevice!
Grab that board and get ready for a kickflippin' adventure down the Banana Harbor, Stunt Road and 30 other challenging courses.
Includes both randomly generated tracks for endless gameplay, and specific courses to master every detail of.
What are you waiting for? Those handrails ain't just for looking at."

[quote name='Stimes']Question: is there a reason to update World of Goo HD if you have it on iPad? The last two updates where to make it universal and retina display added. IMO they should have done that to the non-HD version.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the retina display was actually broken on the prior update. I think the non-HD version has retina too, but they wanted a cheaper version for those who didn't need universal support.

Spelunk has pretty high ratings and is currently available for FREE.
"Ancient element village has five Books of Elements, which record the secrets of integration of things. One day, the Monster Gate in underground city struck village and robbed the Book of Elements to integrate powerful troops to conquer the world. While our brave collin will enter the underground cavern alone and recapture the Book of Elements to save the world."

TowrCraft is another FAAD title.
"men, dwarves, elves, and wizards live in harmony as middle earth flourishes… the friends of peace and prosperity work to build and create, making brighter every day…
but far off, an evil spirit festers in a forgotten wasteland, schemes to conquer middle earth, and poisons the hearts of orcs.
now, the spirit drives its army into battle, making war and wreaking destruction on its enemies…
the inhabitants of middle earth make their last defense… rock and magic must stand strong between final doom and the dawn of another day…"

[quote name='lunasicc']I am curious as well. Also, anyone recommend Splinter Cell Conviction if your already played and beat the 360 counterpart?[/QUOTE]

Conviction was great on the 360, so I couldn't pass it up for 99 cents.

Just played a bit of Conviction HD, it's really nice, especially for $1. Love that you can completely customize where to touch the screen for each action. Also picked up Eternal Legacy, hope it's decent!

The BopIt and Simon-like BrainShake2 has dropped back down to FREE for the first time in almost a year.
"BrainShake 2 was inspired by the classic hand held games Bop-it & Simon Says. You'll have to Shake, Switch, Twist, Squeeze, Push and Pull.
Hours of family fun, specialy designed for all ages, from kids to grown ups, from slow to super fast. Stay focused and move fast through all the different levels and become an addict in seconds! Challenge your friends with local the leaderboard (iPad only) and Game Center leaderboard."

A puzzler for the iPad crowd, Johnny Constellation has dropped from $2.99 to FREE for a limited time.
"Oh no! Johnny Constellation needs to collect stars, but his ship is out of control. (That's what he gets for not changing his oil.)
Draw lasers with your finger to bounce Johnny around the solar system. Plan your moves to collect the stars using as few lasers as possible.
Dodge black holes, avoid evil alien ships, and warp through wormholes across 60 action-packed levels in this unique puzzle/platformer.
Now go have fun helping Johnny soar through this one of a kind space adventure!"

Nice Stimes, thanks. I remember seeing that game before and wanting it too.

Also pretty excited about Rat on a Skateboard being free, hehe.

Besides Spirits and the other previously-mentioned titles, MeWantBamboo is also being highlighted by FAAD right now.
"Do you have what it takes to become the Master Panda?
Highly addictive adventure game! Conquer the Great Wall, African Safari and even Mars by eating bamboo and flying high into the air to avoid deadly obstacles! Watch your panda grow bigger and stronger the more you play!"

The super-retro throwback L3D – LED 3-in-1 1970's handheld action is FREE through the weekend.
"Re-live the 1970's with the L3D 3-in-1 LED game.
The original Handheld experience in your 21st century hands!
3 Action packed games inspired by the first handheld games from the 1970's and 1980's.
Game 1 - Shooter
Game 2 - Racer
Game 3 - Breakthru
Featuring an authentic looking LED display, and all the retro sonic goodness your ears can handle."

In for Spirits for iPad as well as for iPhone. Thanks for the heads up!

Michael Schacht's Gold! has dropped to 99 cents (Universal).

http://appshopper.com/games/michael-schachts-gold

I recommend this card game app. It's unique in that it was actually released first on iOS, before it was released in physical form and it has yet to be released in that form in the US so, at least without importing, this is the only way to play it here. It's a simple, yet fun and clever card game. FYI, Michael Schacht is the German game designer who designed the popular board game Zooleretto. The iOS version of Gold! is fun, but I have to say that it's a lot more fun on the iPad because only on the iPad do you get 3 player games (which is the max number of players in the real game too - strange, but true). The game is too easy in 2-player form. Still, for 99 cents it's probably worth picking up for the iPhone anyway. Unfortunately there's no form of multiplayer yet, but it's a fun game versus the AI. The dev is promising at least pass-and-play in an update, but we shall see if they come through.

Protector: The Planes is once again available for FREE.
"Vast armies of evil march against you as fireballs and poison clouds fly overhead. Assemble an army of wizards and warriors, and bring all your magic and steel to bear against your foes. Protector: The Planes is the latest game in an epic tower defense series which has been played over 50 million times! Over 30% larger than the original version, Protector: The Planes contains amazing new features never before seen in the series. Unleash devastating super-powers such as the meteor strike, blizzard, poison nova and chain lightning to name a few. Employ the fearsome Chaos Knight once you have conquered the mortal realms. Experience 10 planar battles each with new game-play elements that drastically alter the strategies that work well in the mortal realms!"

Hooray! I was hoping they would port Starfront to iPad. I had the iphone one from when it was 99¢, but it wasn't so great blown up. Hopefully they'll release it on android as well. I'll probably wait for it to drop to 99¢ before I buy the ipad one.

Spirits isn't what I was expecting, but is fun so far. It's a lemmings type game, which isn't a bad thing, certainly not for free!

Not a game, but Playface Pro has gone free. This is essentially a PhotoBooth app for the iPhone/iPod touch, and it offers a lot more effects then PhotoBooth does including color effects, plus you can combine them (color and distortion). You can take snapshots or record video. I like it enough that I really wish it was universal. Maybe in an update?

http://appshopper.com/photography/playface-pro

[quote name='Dimsdale']Splitter Pals is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Splitter and his pals are trying to find their way home but they need a push in the right direction.
Features:
* 3 distinct worlds
* 60 levels with more coming soon!
* Gamecenter Achievements & Leaderboard
* Retina Display
* Universal App
* Optional Facebook Integration"[/QUOTE]

I tried this out not expecting to like it too much - I'm pretty tired of the Tiki Totems-y "touch the blocks to clear them" physics games, and I'm terrible at Cut the Rope (which this has a few elements in common with). But I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. The puzzles are pretty clever so far and it's been fun to figure out the solutions. It looks like it's still free today so you can still try it out. It's not the best game and won't be for everyone but I think it's definitely worth the few minutes to download and give it a shot.

MetalStorm Online is the new FAAD main offering.
"Experience the best looking, most action packed multiplayer jet fighting game for iOS - MetalStorm: Online!
• Real time multiplayer - compete against other players online on 3G and Wi-Fi
• Multiplayer, Leaderboards and Achievements powered by Game Center
• Next-gen 3D graphics with Retina Display support
• Dozens of unique aircraft to choose from
• Customize your aircraft with missiles and machine guns
• Survival Mode: obliterate waves of enemies with a friend in Co-Op multiplayer or singleplayer
• Perform advanced maneuvers by swiping in different directions
• Earn XP and level up to unlock more powerful items
• Talk with other players via the optional in-game Voice Chat system
• Full 360-degree flight in 3D space
• Gyroscope enables extra precise controls for iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th generation devices"

Antrim Escape 1 is also one of the new FAAD games right now.
"Antrim Escape is a room escape game. The objective of the game is to find, combine and use designated items to solve puzzles and eventually find the exit of the room. In order to succeed the game, you have to comprehend on the functionality of iphone (multi-touch, accelerometer…etc). With its realistic graphics, enticing storyline, intellect puzzles, and intuitive controls, it is a brand new experience to your previously played room escape games! The game will take you days or even weeks to solve the puzzles.
The story is based on a haunted garden in N. Ireland!"

Jet Fighter Ace is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"Take to the skies and take out your opponents!
'Jet Fighter Ace: Secret Wars' is a game that harkens back to the retro arcade shoot-em-ups, and brings in some nasty social competition.
Configure your ship with your choice of weapons, then fight against your friends' ships in a battle for SKY SUPREMACY.
Use the spoils of victory to buy even better gear and DOMINATE THE SKIES."

I like Splitter Pals too. Also better then expected. I'm not sure if it's still free, but Splitter Pal (no "s") was also free, but I haven't tried it yet. Grab both if they're still free.

Also, I just tried Metalstorm Online, and that seems pretty cool. I only tried it offline, but so far it looks like a worthy pickup while it's free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow its strange how Big Fish games does things. They released a new game yesterday at $4.99 called The Serpent of Isis, today it's free but there is a $4.99 in app purchase to unlock the full game. It says it's on sale for 50% off so I guess the normal price is going to be $9.99 but damn I thought I was getting a free game for a minute.

[quote name='Stimes']Wow its strange how Big Fish games does things. They released a new game yesterday at $4.99 called The Serpent of Isis, today it's free but there is a $4.99 in app purchase to unlock the full game. It says it's on sale for 50% off so I guess the normal price is going to be $9.99 but damn I thought I was getting a free game for a minute.[/QUOTE]

The price yesterday was a mistake. It was supposed to be free, like today, with the IAP. People who paid 4.99 yesterday still had to pay 4.99 to unlock.

Also, royal envoy released yesterday for iPad for launch price of 4.99, I think it will be 9.99 at some point. It is one of the best, if not best time management games I have played on the iPad. It reminds me of a cross between my kingdom for the princess and hotel mogul. It is free to download and 4.99 to unlock full version. You can play 3 islands for free, which is a decent chunk to try out. I highly recommend any fans of the genre to at least try it out.

Plants vs zombies for iPhone is on sale for .99. If you like games and some how don't have this, get it now. Hd version isn't on sale.

Aralon: Sword and Shadow HD, by Crescent Moon Games $9.99 -> $4.99

Aralon Cloud Save Sale! 50% off for a limited time only!!!

That which is done cannot be undone, but it can be avenged.

From the Creators of the award winning Ravensword: The Fallen King,The Elder Scrolls Artist Mark Jones, and
Developer Galoobeth Games, comes ARALON: SWORD AND SHADOW, an Epic 3d Role-Playing Adventure
for the iPhone 4, iPad, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch.

An iPhone 3d RPG inspired by that classic vein that focuses on a compelling story, a unique hero, and an open 3D world ready for exploration. Journey through the Kingdom of Aralon and unravel its mysteries.

This is the lowest it has been since release, is it worth it? The game is universal.

[quote name='caltab']Plants vs zombies for iPhone is on sale for .99. If you like games and some how don't have this, get it now. Hd version isn't on sale.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I've been waiting a while for this one to go on sale.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Aralon: Sword and Shadow HD, by Crescent Moon Games $9.99 -> $4.99

Aralon Cloud Save Sale! 50% off for a limited time only!!!

That which is done cannot be undone, but it can be avenged.

From the Creators of the award winning Ravensword: The Fallen King,The Elder Scrolls Artist Mark Jones, and
Developer Galoobeth Games, comes ARALON: SWORD AND SHADOW, an Epic 3d Role-Playing Adventure
for the iPhone 4, iPad, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch.

An iPhone 3d RPG inspired by that classic vein that focuses on a compelling story, a unique hero, and an open 3D world ready for exploration. Journey through the Kingdom of Aralon and unravel its mysteries.

This is the lowest it has been since release, is it worth it? The game is universal.[/QUOTE]

from what I hear, even though the game has some technical issues and whatnot, it's still supposed to be an incredibly impressive effort on ios and a must-play for elder scrolls/wrpg fans. I have been waiting on an Aralon sale months, yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back