iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Hand of Greed is great fun.

Death Rally is addictive for the first 2 hours and then boring as hell.

I need to stop buying anything that tries to go for 16-bit era art on principle. Mos Speedrun just is dull.

[quote name='RollingSkull']They're standard TURN TO PAGE 75 IF YOU WANT TO GO LEFT, TURN TO PAGE 203 IF YOU WANT TO GO RIGHT, but they're modern, good quality. Unlike the Gygaxian bullshit of Fighting Fantasy, these games are actually not prone to killing you or withholding the mcguffins for dumb crap. They aren't perfectly intuitive though but generally they are pretty good.

Books 1 and 4 are the best, 1's got decent intrigue AND good dungeon crawls, and the mcguffins are tough to miss. 4 is just quality through and through. You can feel where Book 2 goes wrong the second you get past the exciting opening segment and then come across four doors. OH JOY. AND YES, ONE DOOR JUST GIVES YOU VALUABLE SWAG AND SENDS YOU BACK TO THE LOBBY. Still, it's pretty good apart from that. Book 3 benefits from really having two wholly divergent paths through the book, each with their own missable macguffins but its climax is kinda weak, despite trying really hard. Book 5 is a bit weak but still a good run. All of them are worth the money but, if you just want one or two, I say 1 and 4.[/QUOTE]

I bought Gamebook Adventures 1 when it was on sale for 99 cents a few months ago. I booted it up yesterday and have quite enjoyed it so far. It reminds me a lot of the "choose your own nightmare" goosebump books with some other elements added in. It's heavily text based, so if you don't like to read, stay away. Anyways, I just wanted to recommend this game. It's still on sale for $2.99 right now. I'm waiting for the others to drop to $0.99...

Zombie Assault is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"They just keep coming! The zombies are back, and this time they mean business! In order to have a chance against this ongoing invasion, of course you need to upgrade your defenses as well!"

Update on Death Rally: Reckless has a fixed perspective relative to the track and the camera slides over the course to keep up with the car; Death Rally has a camera that spins and rotates to keep behind the car and (given how close up everything is) may make you a bit green after a race or two on the iPad. .

Dirt has dropped to FREE for a limited time.
"You are the adorably deceased, pickaxe-wielding cat "Dirt," trapped underground for reasons unclear. Where are you? Why have you been falling for so long? What else is down here with you?
Excavate potentially infinite screens of dirt, gems, mysterious artifacts, and clues about... well, that's a little unclear. Why don't you start digging and find out?"

I have seen "Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor" on several lists of must have games. I want it but I am trying to wait until it goes on sale. I have seen posts that indicate certain games go on sale from time to time. Is this just from memory or is there a website that keeps track of when each game has had a price drop?

[quote name='The Stuff']I have seen "Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor" on several lists of must have games. I want it but I am trying to wait until it goes on sale. I have seen posts that indicate certain games go on sale from time to time. Is this just from memory or is there a website that keeps track of when each game has had a price drop?[/QUOTE]

AppShopper

http://appshopper.com/games/spider-the-secret-of-bryce-manor

Panda Adventure is the new main FAAD game right now.
"Panda Adventure is an exquisite, puzzle-style arcade game with a story reminiscent of a fairy tale. The game implements an innovative arcade-like game that provides intuitive gameplay and a familiar user interface with increasing accessibility."

MiniMonos Flight
is also one of the current FAAD offerings.
"MiniMonos Flight is the fun and addictive new monkey flying game from the creators of MiniMonos.com! Tilt your iPhone left and right to swoop through the sky, collecting wind clouds—but watch out for the gray pollution clouds! They’ll sap your energy and send you plummeting down to Earth. If you find yourself falling, look for a trampoline to land on and bounce you back up in the air. Each game gets you closer to the next bonus level and the next surprise. The bar at the top tells you how much energy you have left. Here’s a hint: the up button uses up your energy a lot faster than gliding right and left. (Shhh! Don’t tell anymonkey!)"

Ancient Frog is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"A contemplative puzzle game set in a range of beautifully rendered natural environments.
Guide 6 species of frog through over 100 levels of twisty turny fun. Guide your frog one leg at a time across the board to a delicious fly. Take your time. There's no hurry. Just you, a frog, the gentle interplay of dappled light, and the sounds of the forest."

Death Rally is fun. I like it. But I miss the jumps and such from Reckless Racing. DR's race courses are just flat. Still, it is addicting and fun and looks great on the iPad. I haven't tried it on my iPhone.

EDIT: also I find the structure of the game confusing. You get a list of seemingly random races to enter. Is there one in particular I'm suppose to select to progress forward, or is there no structure to it? It's unclear, and I was expecting some kind of structure given the nice intro sequence. I still recommend it for 99 cents for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reiner Knizia's Through the Desert HD (Universal) has dropped to $1.99, which is the lowest it's ever been. I have this game but haven't had a chance to really try it. The app gets good reviews, so I really need to give it a (real) shot:

http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-through-the-desert-hd

There's also a non-univeral iPhone/iPod touch version, which dropped to 99 cents, which is also the lowest it's been:

http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-through-the-desert

To be clear, if you buy the HD version, you don't need the non-HD version, as the HD version runs natively on all iOS devices.

Yeah, I really don't think much matters my progress is at 128%, fame is God, I've maxed everything out except for the 2 types of rockets(swarm), and I've only raced on the pit and oasis, the put mostly.

Catapult Madness is the current FAAD main game.
"Your castle is under siege! Use your catapult to launch peasants to reach a neighbor castle and ask for help. Use magic, bombs, beans, beer and other crazy stuff to reach your goal.
Unlock 4 different characters and choose from 5 different power ups."

ReaXXor
is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Speed. Memory. Reactions. Benchmark yourself with ReaXXor!
ReaXXor is the ultimate testing suite for human performance. Test yourself and challenge your friends in three addictive game modes:
1) SPEED: Tap the colors in the order they light up. Try to keep up as the speed relentlessly accelerates.
2) MEMORY: Memorize the sequence of colors and then repeat it. The sequence gets longer after each turn.
3) REAXXION: Quickly hit 10 colors as they randomly light up to determine your reaction time."

Catapult Madness has gone free:

http://appshopper.com/games/catapult-madness

I didn't think much of this game, but I know others really liked it, so I mention it.

Also, all of the Sage Games boardgames have dropped in price, both universal and separate iPhone and iPad versions. That's Reiner Knizia's Medici (and Medici HD), Reiner Knizia's Ra (universal) and Tikal (universal). Note that the online in Ra is completely broken. It's also partly broken in Tikal, but does work better there - don't switch devices mid-game and you'll be OK. Of all their games, though, I think Medici is the best implemented, probably because it's the simplest games overall (though that doesn't mean it isn't a great boardgame, which it is). Medici doesn't have any online yet.

As RollingSkull will now attest to, Sage Games needs help with their user interfaces. Tikal, for example, has no Undo and has some stupid things like how you can double-tap to zoom in/out, which is good, except that part of the game involves tapping pieces to rotate them. If you tap too fast because you want to get a piece in a certain orientation quickly, it will zoom in and out because the idiots didn't think to not do that when you're rotating a piece. Dumb. Tikal is a very cool boardgame, though.

Ticket to ride comes out tonight for 6.99 for iPad. The 3 expansions are on sale for a buck each this week only. I've been hoping they would release this for a long time, one of my all time favorite board games. It should be out at 11 pm est.

[quote name='caltab']Ticket to ride comes out tonight for 6.99 for iPad. The 3 expansions are on sale for a buck each this week only. I've been hoping they would release this for a long time, one of my all time favorite board games. It should be out at 11 pm est.[/QUOTE]

fuck yeah! Great game! Well at least the board game and the computer version of the board game is! Hopefully the Ipad version lives up!

[quote name='caltab']Ticket to ride comes out tonight for 6.99 for iPad. The 3 expansions are on sale for a buck each this week only. I've been hoping they would release this for a long time, one of my all time favorite board games. It should be out at 11 pm est.[/QUOTE]

Bestest news ever. Day 1 with all the expansions for sure, especially with the intro price for those. I'll be up at 11 tonight.

Breaking news in that Infinity Blade finally goes live with a multi-player option this Thursday. It's also supposed to get a couple of dozen new items (rings, swords, helmets, etc.) along with multi-playability with the latest free update. Hells yeah!

[quote name='Dimsdale']Breaking news in that Infinity Blade finally goes live with a multi-player option this Thursday. It's also supposed to get a couple of dozen new items (rings, swords, helmets, etc.) along with multi-playability with the latest free update. Hells yeah![/QUOTE]

Sigh, this is so bittersweet. I am very happy that they are updating it but beyond upset because I have to find room to get this to install and because I will be addicted to infinity blade yet again.

Hell yeah! I just got the actual board game this last xmas for my parents (they love board games). Played it with them multiple times and had a blast.

Now I just need to get that damn iPad 2 so I can actually play it heh.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I believe there is a specific thread for android and other platforms.[/QUOTE]
Fair enough. It just seemed relevant, since for those who have both platforms, there's no reason to pay $1 for something that could be free.

For those of us who have never played Ticket To Ride, is it worth a blind buy? And if so, can you give any top reasons why it's a great game? I've heard of it but never played it and I'm curious.

[quote name='etcrane']For those of us who have never played Ticket To Ride, is it worth a blind buy? And if so, can you give any top reasons why it's a great game? I've heard of it but never played it and I'm curious.[/QUOTE]

If you like board games(or possibly even strategic games)then yes it is.

As for why its good/worth buying.

1. Its constantly one of the highest rated board games ever.
2. There is a luck element in both the routes you draw and the cards you draw, but 90% of the time its not so huge that you cant overcome a bad draw.
3. It is easy to learn and explain to other people yet still has a lot of depth.
4. You can play a whole game in about 20-40 mins vs the 60+ mins a lot of board games take.
5. Since you draw 3 routes at the start of a game from a stack of many different routes it means that you wont be playing the same game over and over again.

I would not place TTR in my top 5 or even possibly top 10 games list, but it would come damn close to making it and id give it a strong rec to anyone.

[quote name='MSI Magus']If you like board games(or possibly even strategic games)then yes it is.

As for why its good/worth buying.

1. Its constantly one of the highest rated board games ever.
2. There is a luck element in both the routes you draw and the cards you draw, but 90% of the time its not so huge that you cant overcome a bad draw.
3. It is easy to learn and explain to other people yet still has a lot of depth.
4. You can play a whole game in about 20-40 mins vs the 60+ mins a lot of board games take.
5. Since you draw 3 routes at the start of a game from a stack of many different routes it means that you wont be playing the same game over and over again.

I would not place TTR in my top 5 or even possibly top 10 games list, but it would come damn close to making it and id give it a strong rec to anyone.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the feedback! ... think I might just pick it up tonight

I'd love to have Ticket to Ride for the iPad2, but I already paid $10 for it on the XBLA. I refused to by the over-priced expansions there. I really don't want to pay another $6.99. Please don't respond with, "But you only paid $10 for XBLA version + $6.99 for iPad version= $16.99 and that's WAY cheaper than the board game!" The $1 for expansions is cool, but I'll wait for T2R to drop in price.

Speaking of over-priced apps, has anyone bought Two Worlds 2: Castle Defense for $11.99? I played and own the 360 TW games, but I am sure not spending $12 for this app. I'll think about it if SouthPeak ever sends me the $10 refund (and Sordahan t-shirt) I was suppose to get when I bought TW2!

[quote name='GrafixGuerilla']I'd love to have Ticket to Ride for the iPad2, but I already paid $10 for it on the XBLA. I refused to by the over-priced expansions there. I really don't want to pay another $6.99. Please don't respond with, "But you only paid $10 for XBLA version + $6.99 for iPad version= $16.99 and that's WAY cheaper than the board game!" The $1 for expansions is cool, but I'll wait for T2R to drop [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hold my breath for a great sale on this. Age of wonders other game, small world, has rarely if ever had an actual sale. They might drop it to 4.99, but the expansions could cost more if they do. I think they figure it's already cheap enough in comparison to the board game.

[quote name='GrafixGuerilla']I'd love to have Ticket to Ride for the iPad2, but I already paid $10 for it on the XBLA. I refused to by the over-priced expansions there. I really don't want to pay another $6.99. Please don't respond with, "But you only paid $10 for XBLA version + $6.99 for iPad version= $16.99 and that's WAY cheaper than the board game!" The $1 for expansions is cool, but I'll wait for T2R to drop in price.

Speaking of over-priced apps, has anyone bought Two Worlds 2: Castle Defense for $11.99? I played and own the 360 TW games, but I am sure not spending $12 for this app. I'll think about it if SouthPeak ever sends me the $10 refund (and Sordahan t-shirt) I was suppose to get when I bought TW2![/QUOTE]

lmao there's a two worlds tower defense? AND it costs $12? AANNNDD its ONLY a TD?! Southpeak sucks... I'm sorry to say. Two Worlds is by far one of the worst franchises out there and they must have an awful producer if they think $12 for a TD is acceptable.

In regards to price drops on T2R, I wouldn't get your hopes up. it'll be like Catan and Carcassone. Rarely ever having good sales, and nothing super crazy. I think the best we'll see is 50% off.

[quote name='GrafixGuerilla']I'd love to have Ticket to Ride for the iPad2, but I already paid $10 for it on the XBLA. I refused to by the over-priced expansions there. I really don't want to pay another $6.99. Please don't respond with, "But you only paid $10 for XBLA version + $6.99 for iPad version= $16.99 and that's WAY cheaper than the board game!" The $1 for expansions is cool, but I'll wait for T2R to drop in price.

Speaking of over-priced apps, has anyone bought Two Worlds 2: Castle Defense for $11.99? I played and own the 360 TW games, but I am sure not spending $12 for this app. I'll think about it if SouthPeak ever sends me the $10 refund (and Sordahan t-shirt) I was suppose to get when I bought TW2![/QUOTE]

FYI, the 99c DLC is a one week intro price. I don't know what it will go up to, but all but 1910 are completely separate games in the real world (1910 uses the original TTR map, and just has new cards and some rules variants), so I wouldn't be surprised if the price for those goes up a lot higher the 99c. The sale is effectively now (well, tonight). Also, and unlike the Xbox version, this game ties in with the real, existing, and highly trafficked game servers, it's not separate like on the Xbox, and as a result you'll never have trouble getting online games going.

Can someone please post a direct link to Ticket to Ride in the App Store? I'm not seeing it.

So far I've:

1) found a blog post linking to the game in the New Zealand app store
2) been unable to find the game in the US app store under a keyword search
3) found the company's website with no mention of any iPad games whatsoever
4) Googled "Ticket to Ride iPad game" and was unable to find any recent posts linking to the game

You wouldn't think it would be this difficult to find a game the week it was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back