iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Darknuke']http://appshopper.com/games/orions-legend-of-wizards

Orion is on sale from 4.99 -> .99 cents. Seems like a neat little card game. I want to get it but I'm waiting on my new credit card to get here =( (fraud probs with old one).[/QUOTE]

You can just purchase it using your current card (only if it's still in itunes) and it will act like you purchased it and start to download. But as slow as Apple is, it'll send you an email a few days later asking for a different form of payment (just like it does anyway with the purchase receipt) since the charge wouldn't have gone through. That only works if you already have a cc on file with Apple, otherwise this won't work. I did this a while ago for another sale and had forgotten that I had an amex gc that was drained on file at the time. It still let me purchase the game on sale but I just had to edit my cc info a few days later and it charged me then, no biggy. Hope that helps if you're worried about the sale price going away before your new cc gets in!

[quote name='jjz203']You can just purchase it using your current card (only if it's still in itunes) and it will act like you purchased it and start to download. But as slow as Apple is, it'll send you an email a few days later asking for a different form of payment (just like it does anyway with the purchase receipt) since the charge wouldn't have gone through. That only works if you already have a cc on file with Apple, otherwise this won't work. I did this a while ago for another sale and had forgotten that I had an amex gc that was drained on file at the time. It still let me purchase the game on sale but I just had to edit my cc info a few days later and it charged me then, no biggy. Hope that helps if you're worried about the sale price going away before your new cc gets in![/QUOTE]

Just tried that. It didn't work sadly =/. I did have my old CC on file, but it immediately told me it was declined (which makes sense). Oh well. I don't really NEED the game (as it goes for most iphone games >_

[quote name='pROvIs']How is that different than most games? There are a few enemy types, rinse, repeat. It's not the most varied game but I really enjoyed my time with it which has to be at least in the 5-10 hour range.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this, particularly for iOS and android games, and that's also why I've generally been disappointed with them!

Like i said, i was expecting a soccer game and got a soccer penalty kick game instead. Maybe that was my fault for expecting something else.

Really excited that myst is on sale (been waiting forever). Its odd that cyan worlds doesn't list the sale on their site, considering they posted about Riven's sale earlier in the year......

Also Fruit ninja is on sale....Its a great time-killer app !

Voice Band is one of the new FAAD titles.
Voice Band introduces a revolutionary new way to make music - with your voice!
Just sing into your phone and hear Voice Band transform your voice into an instrument in real time. Voice Band doesn't simply alter your voice to sound like an instrument, it actually plays a real sampled instrument which follows what you sing. Want to jam to a guitar solo with your favorite band? Voice Band lets you play along with your ipod library, too.
Whether you’re a musician looking to instantly capture an arrangement idea, or a music fan looking to make your own music for the first time, Voice Band will inspire and challenge you."

Smack That Gugl is also among the current FAAD offerings.
"Gugl is back and he’s all pop and frolic! Splash, smack and trash these multiplying Gugls as fast as you can, avoiding the sick ones. Think you got it, wait and see how crazy the rhythm can be as the score goes up: hey big chef, can you pancake them all?!
Go berserk with your friends or for the world record with the global leaderboard: Gugl has alien ants in his pants, smack him if you can!"

Twins Candy is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"From the studio that brought you Dalton the Awesome and Wave: Against Every Beat!, Crazy Parachute, Magic Balls Island comes the next hit game, Twins Candy!
With Twins Candy, the goal is very simple, you clear all sweet tiles like candy, cake, ice-cream to earn high score and step to a bigger challenge each new level."

SushiGoRound! is now available for FREE for a limited time.
"OVER 150 MILLION GAME PLAYS AT Miniclip.com, Wii and Nintendo DS. THE SMASH HIT GAME IS NOW AVAILABLE ON iPHONE!
Take charge of a bustling Sushi Restaurant in Miniclip Sushi Go Round. Join our hero and his mentor, the Sushi Master, on their quest to make delicious sushi, serve as many customers as possible and impress a beautiful girl.
Use your memory and skills to create a variety of exciting sushi dishes and serve them to your waiting customers. Order in new ingredients as they run out, check out the different recipes in the recipe book and make sure everyone is kept happy.
This fast paced and frustratingly addictive game features many challenging levels, and guarantees you long hours of fun!"

[quote name='Stimes']Peggle is the new $.99 game from PopCap for the next two days.
http://appshopper.com/games/peggle

Also Peggle Nights is on sale for 99 cents as well, down from $2.99. Its an in app purchase and the last time Peggle went on sale Peggle Nights did not.[/QUOTE]
Buy peggle and peggle nights. Just do it. You will thank me later.

Game Dev Story is back down to .99 for those who may have missed it being on sale previously.
"Manage your own game company and try to create a million-selling game in this unique simulation.
Features the ability to develop your company's own game console, plus a system for changing your staff members' professions.
Hire talented people and train them to develop their skills.
As your staff gets more experience, you will unlock a wider array of game genres and content to develop. Try to find the most popular combinations and develop for the latest platform!
Your staff members can have a variety of game-related professions, from programmer to sound engineer.
Work hard and you may reach the top of the video game industry!"

Is there a way to search the itunes app store by price? I've been trying to find a way to only see games that are 99cents or free.

Thanks

[quote name='Stimes']Peggle is the new $.99 game from PopCap for the next two days.
http://appshopper.com/games/peggle

Also Peggle Nights is on sale for 99 cents as well, down from $2.99. Its an in app purchase and the last time Peggle went on sale Peggle Nights did not.[/QUOTE]Great price for these two games. Easily could get hours and hours out of that $1.98.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Great price for these two games. Easily could get hours and hours out of that $1.98.[/QUOTE]

I bought Peggle and put it on my Touch and iPad. I bought Peggle Nights on my iPad. Is there a way to get it on my Touch without buying it again?....or will it tell me I already own it if I choose "Buy" on my Touch? Thanks.

[quote name='jjoplinfan']I bought Peggle and put it on my Touch and iPad. I bought Peggle Nights on my iPad. Is there a way to get it on my Touch without buying it again?....or will it tell me I already own it if I choose "Buy" on my Touch? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I just did it, just go to the Peggle store in app and buy it again, after you confirm the purchase at $.99 and type in your password and you'll get a pop-up saying "you've already purchased this. Tap Ok to download it again for free." now I have Peggle Nights on both of my devices.

Squish 'em is one of the new FAAD games right now.
"These crazy monsters want to play and as they emerge from behind every rock and tree, you must roll your giant boulder around the forest trying to squish them. As time starts to run out, the monsters will run, hide and do everything they can to make things difficult for you.
Keep an eye out for bonuses including bombs, time extenders and gem filled beach balls. These islanders will drive you nuts!"

Gunner Galaxies
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Activate weapon systems and blast your way to wealth and power in Gunner Galaxies, Fluik's follow-up to the best-selling Gunner. Work your way up the ranks as you mine asteroid fields for the treasure and crystal buried within. It's a dangerous business, of course, but you can always upgrade your ship to turn your ship into an unstoppable destructive force! Gunner Galaxies is classic arcade action updated for the 21st century and beyond! Strap yourself in, but don't get cocky!"

Is Zenonia 3 worth the buck? I know it's on sale right now and I've been really tempted to pick it up while it's still reduced, but that IAP part of it is really worrying me right now...

[quote name='NYGIANTSFANFOREVER']Is Zenonia 3 worth the buck? I know it's on sale right now and I've been really tempted to pick it up while it's still reduced, but that IAP part of it is really worrying me right now...[/QUOTE]
yes

SwipeTapTap is available for FREE for a limited time.
"Push your reaction time, coordination, memory, and focus with this innovative and highly addictive game!
SwipeTapTap (or STT) is a visual Simon Says game that offers 9 distinct simple gestures. If you like Bop It, you'll love STT!
STT offers 4 different game modes:
✓ Classic
✓ Memory
✓ Speed
✓ Endurance"

Hot Springs Story
is on sale for $2.99. Not the lowest price it's ever been, but it is a little bit cheaper than usual.
"Build your own resort and propel it to success with but a touch of the finger in this one-of-a-kind simulation!
Rooms, restaurants, arcades, and baths--position each facility to lull your guests into hot spring Nirvana and skyrocket your establishment to fame!
Craft the perfect Japanese garden from lanterns, pine trees, azaleas, and more--you'll need it all if you want to attract VIPs like pop stars and novelists.
There can only be one #1! Do you have what it takes?"

Soviet Giraffe Rocket Go Go Go! is the new main FAAD game.
"The tides of war have shifted and the Soviets are getting desperate for new superweapons. Their next line of defense… experimentation with giraffe tech, newly discovered and now being tested for wartime use. Soviet spies have managed to infiltrate and apprehend the Elastic-Cervical-Vertabrae technology for our glorious use!
Your job: send that giraffe as far as you can. Go go go!"

Project 72
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"The Game That Everyone Loves is Be Back! Bigger, Better And Faster Than Ever!
Project 72 Returns to Itunes and you are invited to enjoy all the casual magic that it brings.
Get ready for a thrilling ride as you take control of the most powerful space ship of all time, the P72.
The answer to why the universe exists is at stake, and you are the chosen one to blast your way through space
on your way to the ultimate revelation.
The thrilling ride is paved with danger and you better get ready to avoid those alien UFO´s, dangerous
black holes and of course the hazardous satellites and meteoroids!
Collect powerups, including jet fuel, tesla guns, and shield in order to stay alive on your way to the final destination."

Inca Reaction Pro
is also FREE for a limited time.
"The Incan Empire is back now on your iPhone! Challenge yourself in 24 creative and fun stages. Use all your reflexes to try to get all 5 stars in 3 different challenge levels. Now is your chance to play with the Incas in the modern world. The Incas, known for their astonishing architecture and workmanship, are represented here in HD graphics! Catch the guinea pig and paper balls as fast as you can, touch the right color combination, and test your logic skills and time reflexes with endless hours of gameplay!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']
Hot Springs Story
is on sale for $2.99. Not the lowest price it's ever been, but it is a little bit cheaper than usual.
"Build your own resort and propel it to success with but a touch of the finger in this one-of-a-kind simulation!
Rooms, restaurants, arcades, and baths--position each facility to lull your guests into hot spring Nirvana and skyrocket your establishment to fame!
Craft the perfect Japanese garden from lanterns, pine trees, azaleas, and more--you'll need it all if you want to attract VIPs like pop stars and novelists.
There can only be one #1! Do you have what it takes?"[/QUOTE]

Waiting for the inevitable $0.99 drop :bouncy:

I can recommend Project 72. It's a pretty decent game It's just an endless upwards movement, with tilting to avoid obstacles, but it's pretty nicely done, and has had some nice updates since the original 72 hour game.

Dead Street is one of the new FAAD featured games.
"This is a gravity-controlling action game of zombie theme. The player controls a lonely girl to drive a car to escape the deathly city of zombies. Her life all depends on your speed of reaction!
With all the barriers on the narrow street, thousands of zombies are walking around hungry for fresh brain. All what you can do is to avoid the barriers as swiftly as you can while fetching enough petrol to go on. On the other hand, knocking off zombies is another way to highest score. When the energy bar is full, you can even enjoy the pleasure of being invincible!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Gunner Galaxies is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Activate weapon systems and blast your way to wealth and power in Gunner Galaxies, Fluik's follow-up to the best-selling Gunner. Work your way up the ranks as you mine asteroid fields for the treasure and crystal buried within. It's a dangerous business, of course, but you can always upgrade your ship to turn your ship into an unstoppable destructive force! Gunner Galaxies is classic arcade action updated for the 21st century and beyond! Strap yourself in, but don't get cocky!"[/QUOTE]

I was completely addicted to this game last night. It's not bad. Think Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, except you don't have to worry about moving your ship around the asteroids, just shooting them. You can upgrade your ship too. It's normally free I think, but because it's the OpenFeint FGOTD you get 25 free "credits" for "special" upgrades on your ship, which is kinda nice.

Stolen from SD - a decent deal for those looking for discounted iTunes gift cards:

Two $25 iTunes gift cards for $40 - Starts 5/22 @ Office Max (In-Store Only)

IN-STORE offer only.

Offer valid 5/22/11–6/4/11

The fitness app FitFu has just received an update to work on older devices and has also dropped to free. I haven't played around with it too much but it basically gives you standard exercises to do but adds a social aspect to it. It has levels and such, and seems pretty cool. If anyone wants to get fit with me, you can add me as a friend.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/fitfu/id403701162?mt=8

[quote name='TheBigHouse']Stolen from SD - a decent deal for those looking for discounted iTunes gift cards:

IN-STORE offer only.

Offer valid 5/22/11–6/4/11[/QUOTE]

If anyone has an office max near them and would be willing to help me snag a few of these it would be mighty appreciated!

I wish I had an Office Max near me. Oh well.

Not a game, but Photoloader for Facebook (iPhone) has gone free. They also have an HD version, but it's not free. I have the HD version and I like it pretty much, though sometimes it seems to fail to send some photos and then offers to try again at the end, which works, except then they aren't in the right order. Still, it's a pretty nice app otherwise and hopefully they'll fix that issue in an update. The best thing about it is you can organize and album offline and then upload it when online or when you get to WiFi. Plus unlike some other apps where have to try to figure out if a photo is worth uploading from the tiny preview that the stock photo selector provides, you can add all your photos (offline) then weed through them viewing full screen, zooming and such, and then upload the ones you really want. I like it, and now I've got it on my iPhone too due to this freebie.

http://appshopper.com/social-networking/photoloader-for-facebook-2

EDIT - you can also add captions and tag people. So kind of nifty.

I was wrong apparently I do have an Office Max not too far from me. Ill probably head over in the next few days and stock up. If anyone wants to send paypal ahead of then I can pick up extras.

[quote name='TheBigHouse']Stolen from SD - a decent deal for those looking for discounted iTunes gift cards:

IN-STORE offer only.

Offer valid 5/22/11–6/4/11[/QUOTE]
Thanks for relaying the info! Looks like I'll be stopping by the Max on the way home tonight. . .

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']Nike+ app has dropped to free[/QUOTE]

It's the Nike+ GPS app thats free (for a limited time) for their fifth anniversary. The Nike+ app has always been free

TouchArcade has an interesting piece about the just-released game The Heist. Basically, it's a series of puzzles you have to solve to open a vault. Big deal? Well, this one promises an actual prize in the form of a code redeemable for a (PC/Mac) game worth significantly more than the .99 asking price of the iPhone game. Sounds interesting; I may pick this up as a blind buy. Here's the story link if you want to read more: http://toucharcade.com/2011/05/24/the-heist/

EDIT: Okay, I bit. The intro is pretty cool and the production values seem fairly high so far. I've only solved the first couple of puzzles but I think this has potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back