iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Galaga 30th Collection is out and, much to my shock and amazement, is getting very positive remarks on toucharcade and good reviews on iTunes. One game in the collection is free, so no harm in downloading it and checking it out, at least. The rest are in-app purchases. I saw mention of iCade on toucharcade, but I don't see mention of support for that in the actual app listing. Not that I have an iCade anyway. It's a Universal app, so big plus there too:

http://appshopper.com/games/galaga-30th-collection

I'm going to give it a shot later today.

Wiendog - yes, Coin Drop is addicting!

I just meant is coin drop as addictive as a classic iOS game? Like an angry birds or tiny wings? I did quite enjoy peggle.

Coin drop is not what I thought it was. I had it mixed up with another game that went on sale not that long ago called Coin Dozer or some such crap. That game was just a cheap knock off of those crappy games you see at gambling places where you drop a coin and hope several coins get pushed off the edge.

I hear the freebie in the Galaga app is not Galaga at all but Galaxian. Never liked that game; it's like a pool of ooze from which the awesome Galaga miraculously crawled out of.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Coin drop is not what I thought it was. I had it mixed up with another game that went on sale not that long ago called Coin Dozer or some such crap. That game was just a cheap knock off of those crappy games you see at gambling places where you drop a coin and hope several coins get pushed off the edge.[/QUOTE]

Although I was addicted to the Coin Dozer game for a long time too :whistle2:#

[quote name='crunchewy']Galaga 30th Collection is out and, much to my shock and amazement, is getting very positive remarks on toucharcade and good reviews on iTunes. One game in the collection is free, so no harm in downloading it and checking it out, at least. The rest are in-app purchases.
[/QUOTE]

Someone please explain to me how 4 Galaga style arcade games from the 80s add up to 134 MB

The Galaga 30th Collection is an odd product. The Galaxian remake is fun - you get way more than 1 bullet at a time and your ship moves very fast. But, with no demo of the other 3 Galagas, why would you be enticed to pay $3-$4 for each (or $8 for all 3). Also, with Galaga Remix selling for $1 to $3 (depending on sales), you get better value with their older product.

Ugh, these cheap iOS games are gonna be the death of me.
I just went on a bender: Death Rally, Velocispider, Save Toshi DX, Mighty Fin, and War Pinball.

I'm not sure if that was bad or not. Maybe some of you have it worse than that.
Every time I decide to grab a game, I end up getting like 7 of them.

Thanks for all of the work a couple of you (like Dims) do posting all of the free games and drops. I've benifitted from your posts quite a bit, because with the games I just bought, I also grabbed 4 or 5 free ones.
A quick question for someone: What is the best billiards game available for iPhone/Touch? I've looked at a bunch of reviews for a bunch of different games, but am undecided.

I bought 1000 heroz for my ipad not expecting much and ended up playing for almost 30-45 minutes straight. It's pretty addicting and I'm looking forward to the updates every day.

Slice. Best game for shocking your friends: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slice-hd/id420262366?mt=8 If you press on the two clips that sometimes appear in the opposite corners you can set it back to the start. Then your friends can play from puzzle 1 and get shocked a few puzzles later. Drop7 Free. Best game for wasting infinite amounts of time: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/drop7-free-by-zynga/id425242132?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2 I prefer the more relaxing normal mode. Free games I play: High Noon, Thick Lips, Sandslides, Bought games I play: Cut the Rope, Angry Birds Rio, Art Puzzles HD Rousseau pack, The Heist. Other apps I think good: Camera Pro a good real time effects app for the camera). It was a FGOTD. AVPlayerHD - very good at playing various movie formats. Terra - better browser than Safari although I haven't tried the paid alternatives which may be better still. Trip Advisor. I wish the NYT hadn't turned into a paid app as that was great to read. The British Daily Mail is still free, but it's mostly horrible trivial bullshit. Wastes of money for me (may be good for someone else): Rage, Mirror's Edge, Carcasonne, World of Goo. Couldn't get into any of them.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']Although I was addicted to the Coin Dozer game for a long time too :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
Coin Dozer is great. Everytime you think "this is stupid", you end up playing "just one more time". The free version is worth picking up.

I confess to getting addicted to coin dozer for a while too. It *is* stupid, but still a bit addicting. You will eventually decide it is sucking the life out of you, though. :)

FYI, 1000 Heroz is by the developers of Trials HD on the Xbox and the Trials series on PCs. Trials HD is one of my favorite games (I can't wait for Trials Evolution!) 1000 Heroz is my game of the year so far too. I'm also really looking forward to their WiiWare game Moto Heroz which shares some similar characteristics.

New FAAD titles include:
MultiPong "The HD graphic designs and the ultra-realistic physical engine will make you feel like playing on an real wooden board. A classic already !
Up to 4 players on iPad and up to 2 players on iPhone & iPod touch.
One finger to control your paddle. Give your ball smooth effects and thwart the traps to win the game!
In Multiplayer mode, catch the bonuses, use the bumpers and beat your opponents.
In Solo mode, try to beat A.I computer and defeat Mr Monster, from standard skin to 8bits skin, or try to beat your score and share it through the Game Center.
Don't lose control of the ball!"
War 2 Victory "Based on the hit WAR2 browser game with 3,000,000 monthly active users across multiple platforms, the FREE MMO strategy game War 2 Victory now lands on App Store. Seek honor and glory in the battlefields of WWII. Take charge of either Allied or Axis forces and build a lone outpost into a mighty war machine."
Chickie Dominos "Chickie Dominos, the traditional dominos game also known as "Chicken Foot", has the 3-toe pattern that makes every round of dominos fun! Play all your dominos before your opponent, or your dominos turn into eggs and points count against you! You will be a dominos fan in no time with the 5 minute interactive tutorial, and standard swipe and pinch controls."

The new OpenFeint FGOTD is Tesla Wars.
"Get an updated version of Tesla Wars with a great surprise - $300,000 for free! Use it to reach levels you have not yet been! Improve your own record with an unique gift! Hurry up, the offer acts only on June 10th and 11th!
Now you can read our news not leaving the game. We have changed the main menu for this. In addition, it becomes even more comfortable and more colorful.
We have also made the battlefield more interesting. You can play on the new locations!"

Mouse House
is being offered for FREE through Great App a Day.
"Use your best-laid plans to puzzle your way through clever traps, hidden dangers and sneaky foes to collect all the cheese and move on to the next level.
Push Balls to block stingers and wind your way to the top of the Mouse House.
Mouse House's touch control lets you point and tap your way through 56 levels of challenging and addictive puzzle fun!"

World Zombie Tour is the current game on Free App Calendar.
"Are you a fan of arcade style fun action game?
Then this is the right game for you.
A very intriguing fun and action packed game with exciting stages and simulating scenarios.
World Zombie Tour is a single player game where you get to survive through several levels by collecting bonus points and destroying evil demons."

We Thieves HD (iPad only) has also dropped to FREE for a limited time.
"We Thieves is a cartoon styled physics puzzle game suitable for all ages, combining realistic game physics,tricky levels,and funny animations.
A group of animal master thieves in pursue of jewelry are surrounded by the police. In this grave danger of being arrested, they need your help to diffuse bombs, solve locks, and use tools to coordinate chain reaction in order to shake free from captivity, reach a secure position, and pave their way to the grand loot, the treasure filled steel safe."

Hmm ... I'm really at a cross roads ... Heroz looks terrible ... but everyone here loves it ...

So really all you do is run and pick up coins? I read the jumping is pretty bad though ... hmm, wish it was .99 for the HD version or a Universal App ... not sure I can justify $1.99 on something that looked awful in the preview I saw.

[quote name='etcrane']Hmm ... I'm really at a cross roads ... Heroz looks terrible ... but everyone here loves it ...

So really all you do is run and pick up coins? I read the jumping is pretty bad though ... hmm, wish it was .99 for the HD version or a Universal App ... not sure I can justify $1.99 on something that looked awful in the preview I saw.[/QUOTE]

I think the cartoony graphics fit with the game. The coins don't really matter except for an overall high score. You run a course and try to get the best time. The fun comes from trying to beat other people so you try to finds ways to run the course faster and faster. It's great since CAG has it's own board too.

The jumping is wonky at times, but it all has to do with the physics of everything. High jumps will slow you down whereas short hops allow you to maintain speed. It all depends on how long you hold the jump button. I've been enjoying it on my iPhone and have put a few hours into it so far. There's a new course everyday for the next 1000 days. The sooner you join in, the more courses you can compete in.

You can still run in old courses, but your scores aren't placed on the leaderboard. Anyways, for 99 cents, this game is worth it.

If you haven't joined the 1000 heroz board yet, follow this link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8552992

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Homerun Battle 3D is on sale for $0.99. I remember CheapyD recommended it on the CAGcast a looong time ago. Anyone else have thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it in a long time, but when it first came out I played it a ton and loved it. That was in the earlier days of apps though, so I am not sure how it holds up.

[quote name='handsomepete']Why for the love of all that's good in this world would you put the restart button right next to the jump button??[/QUOTE]

So you can restart quickly, and you will be restarting *a lot* in 1000 Heroz. Having said that, I think they should move it a little further away. I have had what seemed like good runs get lost due to an errant restart. However, I also have the iPhone version and in that version they put the restart button at the upper left of the screen, which is pretty much impossible to hit accidentally... and the more I play it, the more I prefer the positioning of it on the iPad because you can restart quickly. Just move it slightly further away and it will be perfect.

Homerun Battle 3D is all right. I got it free, I believe, a long time ago, but never really played it much. It's one thing and it does it well, but it is just one thing. Hit the ball.

EDIT: I can't believe it - there is a new Papi game! PapiStep. Not sure I'm going to bother to download it, but I do have a soft spot for the little red ball. If you don't know Papi, and only know Doodle Jump, then for shame! Not that I'm suggesting that this is worth getting... but maybe it is? It is free, in any case:

http://appshopper.com/games/papistep

EDIT2: no, stick with PapiJump! I tried it. It's too slow and dull as you spend your time just waiting for the platform to come to you. I die because I get impatient. Oh well. It was good to know you, Papi!

Shape Shift is a pretty fun variation on matching color puzzlers. There are regular and HD versions available for FREE (with fairly unobtrusive ads). A .99 IAP will remove the ads if you really don't like them.
"Get ready for Shape Shift, a colorful new puzzle game from the makers of PAPER TOSS and NINJUMP! In this gorgeous twist on the classic genre, players swap tiles of the same shape to match colors and clear the board. The mechanic is simple, but the strategy can take a lifetime to master! Try to eliminate all of the bombs in the action packed Classic Mode, or simply chill out and play endlessly in the peaceful Zen mode. Create mega-chains and unique combinations to gain tons of bonus points. Try to collect all the achievements or just relax and enjoy the beautiful effects. Shape Shift is addicting casual fun for gamers of any kind!"

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm having fun with Hanging with Friends.[/QUOTE]

+1 for this. I went ad free, why not.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm having fun with Hanging with Friends.[/QUOTE]

As has been said, they've done it again... and at the introductory price of 99 cents for ad-free, this was a no-brainer for me. I'm joebootoo on with friends also, challenge me before I get good... heh

Hanging With Friends does seem really good so far, though I've only played a bit. I'm in for the intro price. I am bummed, though, that it isn't Universal. I believe I'm "crunc" in the With Friends games, but I'll need to double check that.

AC-130 is one of the new FAAD games.
"CLIMB ABOARD an AC-130 SPECTRE gunship and strap on your NIGHT VISION goggles. FULL 3D. EXPLOSIONS GALORE. pick your WEAPON OF CHOICE and OPEN FIRE...
It is the year 2011. The Pentagon has dispatched your AC-130 Spectre to provide close air support for US ground forces near the border between Pakistan and India.
Man the guns on the deadliest weapon in the sky, and restore order to the land..."

Parachute Ninja is the latest FAAD featured title.
"Fling, hurl, glide and drop into action with Parachute Ninja!
This fun and addictive game launches your character through 30 action-packed levels spanning 4 picturesque regions on a quest of revenge against a mysterious enemy.
Parachute Ninja is a unique high-flying platformer with rubber-band style slinging, tap-activated parachutes and satisfying physics. Defeat hovering enemies, avoid danger and collect fireflies to get the highest score as you embark on your flinging, flying adventure.
Parachute ninja features both Story and Survival Modes which unfold in beautiful, eye-catching environments. Challenge yourself, friends and family with online leaderboards and Plus+ support for earning awards."

Zombie Sweeper is also a current FAAD freebie.
"Zombie Sweeper is a defense action game which keeps off the surging zombies from left and right.
▶ Game features
1. 30 types of various weapons
2. 10 types of unusual special weapons
3. Various kinds of zombies' dying actions
4. A weapon upgrade system"

Snow Master
is the new game on Great App a Day.
"Snow Masters ensure world happiness and safety from the plights associated with exposure to duplicate and improperly formed snowflakes. The first of the training mini-games previously only available to apprentice Snow Masters are now available to the general public!"

Monster Rush
is now available for FREE.
"MONSTER RUSH is an addictive, pickup-and-play action game wich puts you in the heart of all-out monster carnage.
CUTE GRAPHICS OPTIMIZED FOR RETINA DISPLAY
Experience the adorable world of Monster Rush unfold in hi-res graphics.
TWO DIFFERENT MODES FOR DOUBLE THE FUN
Try to beat the maximun number of monsters in Classic Mode but dont forget that if you miss 3 of then your journey will be over and the monsters will conquest our planet. The Arcade is the most challenging mode. How many monsters you can beat in 60 seconds? Try it and compare your result with other players around the world."

[quote name='lunker']As a guy who loved Puzzle Quest 1, I found PQ2 serviceable but really bloated, slow, and expensive compared to Dungeon Raid, which scratches the puzzle-RPG itch far better, deeper and longer, plus it feels so much faster and built for the iPhone interface. It's a puzzle-RPG roguelike and it just has a crazy amount of depth. $2.99 at regular pricing, though I don't know how often it goes on sale. There's a lite version, so everyone considering PQ2 should check that out instead.[/QUOTE]

Dungeon Raid is on sale for $.99
http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-raid

City of Secrets HD (iPad only) has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Want to see my Mole? If you're finished hammering bird brains against the wall, go underground in the tap adventure game, City of Secrets. Requires logic and puzzle solving skills so turn your brain on and prove you know your head from a Mole in the ground.
Enter a brilliant high definition world of revolution, mystery, and adventure as you pull together the clues and solve puzzles to uncover the sinister plot. The hero's – Rex, the dog, and Mr. Moles - well of course - the mole, can't save Poco Pane without you.
City of Secrets is a classical point and click adventure game presented with beautiful hand drawn art, layered backgrounds and a 3D character cast, fully spoken throughout."

Hellkid: Hook & Jump
is FREE for the first time this year.
"Bunnies are jumping around and eggs are dyed and decorated for Easter. So what does that mean? 1.5M+ HellKid users will have another special update for HellKid! It is perfect time to celebrate Easter with 1.5M+ other users! Run, jump and hook and take as many Easter eggs as possible! So stop readying and download and enjoy HellKid now!"

Tried to JB my iPt3g today. It didn't work so i moved on and just updated to 4.3.3. Not really sure what I was planning to do with a JB device either.

[quote name='caltab']I am a huge fan of dungeon raid. Of the dozens, possibly even hundreds, of puzzle games I have played it is amongst my all time favorites.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I can't recommend this one enough for puzzle fans with an RPG twist. I was hooked on the lite version with the full gameplay but the full version is even better with the class based leveling structure.

[quote name='M_A_C']So what's different from the free version? Is there an actual story?[/QUOTE]

No story, but there are different classes and races to level up and 3 total modes in the full version. The classes and races give the game a sense of progression.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Tried to JB my iPt3g today. It didn't work so i moved on and just updated to 4.3.3. Not really sure what I was planning to do with a JB device either.[/QUOTE]

Relevant

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back