iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fear No Darkness']Can someone tell me when Monster Hunter Dynamic Hunting goes on sale? $4.99 for an app is absolutely fucking ridiculous when most will be free at some point or 99 cents.[/QUOTE]

How many of those 360 games that you played were $4.99 or less? How many PSP Monster Hunter games have ever been that cheap? I'm gonna guess zero. I don't mean to pick on you, but I get a little annoyed at the entitlement of my iPhone gamers.
Not every app should be $0.99 to free. That's like complaining a filet mignon costs $35 because you can get a cheeseburger at McDonald's for a buck, and after all they come from the same animal, right? If you really want a game, buy the game. Support the industry.

[quote name='ViolentLee']How many of those 360 games that you played were $4.99 or less? How many PSP Monster Hunter games have ever been that cheap? I'm gonna guess zero. I don't mean to pick on you, but I get a little annoyed at the entitlement of my iPhone gamers.
Not every app should be $0.99 to free. That's like complaining a filet mignon costs $35 because you can get a cheeseburger at McDonald's for a buck, and after all they come from the same animal, right? If you really want a game, buy the game. Support the industry.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that most 360 and PSP games are fully fleshed out titles. I would pay $15 or $20 to have an actual Monster Hunter game on my iPhone or iPad .. but most major game companies are still taking a 'cellphone game' approach to iOS game development.

Sure, companies like EA or SquareEnix have raised the bar with games like Deadspace or direct ports like Harry Potter and FF Tactics; but he has a point with the Monster Hunter game for iOS. It's not a fully fleshed out title and probably isn't worth $5. Capcom is charging that much on brand recognition alone and it's a substantially watered down product.

[quote name='Scorch']I picked up GTA: CW earlier and the controls feel spot on, I haven't had a problem yet.[/QUOTE]

I havent had any problems with the iPad version controls either. There are lite versions of the game if anyone on the fence, I remember the controls sucked when playing the iPhone version on my iPad.

I can't think of any REAL Monster Hunter title worth $5, much less the Iphone ones.

And, again, consider the value on the system. $1 can go a LONG way if you're buying A-list stuff like Helsing's Fire on the platform.

Speaking of which, once again I recommend Nimble Strong: Bartender in Training, don't know if it's still $1 but it's good fun if you can get past the ugly art style.

It's true, for all intents and purposes, Monster Hunter is a great concept with extremely lazy execution. The day Capcom brings a fully HD version of MH to the US and removes the ridiculous and unnecessary loading screens (which they claim are part of the game, but were more likely a technical limitation of the PS2), then I will think highly of the franchise. As it stands, Monster Hunter games are repetitive and lacking ... but the iOS version is particularly abysmal.

Holycrap, I'm diggin' Groove Coaster. I never thought vector graphics could be so exhilarating until Space Invaders Infinity Gene showed up. Now Groove Coaster takes it up yet another notch. I'm officially a fan of Reisuke Ishida now, and any more future releases are going to merit a first-day purchase. If you're a fan of TapTap or RockBand, I can recommend Groove Coaster without hesitation. It's easily worth .99.

In other news, Stylish Sprint is the current FAAD main offering.
"Stylish Sprint is an action running game where you play as a stickman who travels the world in search of adventure…and collects any spare coins laying around.
You can run, roll, fly, smash obstacles, and use powerups through 8 unique and varied environments.
Feast your eyes on the characters stylish acrobatics as he flips and spins through each endless stage.
Effortlessly navigate the terrain with simple and intuitive controls.
Getting sick of the main game? Try out one of the included challenge modes with their own unique playing style.
Customize your stickman’s appearance with tons of cool costume items that not only add style to his dash but increase his performance in various ways.
Gain SP (style points), which act as in game currency, by completing quests, getting points during gameplay, or buying SP packs as an in-app purchase. Use SP to buy the various items included in the games shop."

Super Scratchers
is still the OpenFeint FGOTD for a couple of more hours today.
"Feeling lucky? Think you can win the Golden Scratcher?
Super Scratchers is a lottery-style game with a twist: every time you play Super Scratchers you improve your chances of winning!"

CandyChase, which looks like a candy-themed version of Frogger, is being featured on Great App a Day.
"Bum-Bums are the cute creatures living in tree holes across CandyLand, an unusual place where bugs and other evil creatures have hold of a lot of candies as the place is full of it. These bugs are fed up of eating candies now and want something new to eat like Bum-Bums served inside multi-grain bread !!
So as it happens, these Bum-Bums are lured out of their safe home across lanes into CandyLand with the help of candies. These tricksy bugs have cleverly planned a trap for them so that they cannot get back to their homes. So now Bum-Bums are in a dilemma as to how to cross lanes full of these nasty bugs to return home. On one hand, they are eager to reach home and on the other hand, they are still mesmerized by the juicy candies placed on their way."

Doodle Corsair Racing is the latest on Free App Calendar.
"Doodle Corsair Racing is a surprisingly fun and addictive doodle style racing game.Items and weapons are supported during the race.You can compete with your friends via bluetooth!If you like Mario Kart,you will like this game!"

http://www.offeredapp.com/?r=26727

Today only you can get GTA:CW for iPhone free. Now before the haters start jumping in I went through the process when Lego HP Yrs 1-4 was being offered. Assuming nothing's changed, one of the offers, "Reward TV" is ridiculously easy to fill out. Basically you just answer questions about two TV shows you watched recently (you don't even have to be right) and *bam* free app. It does take a couple hours to get the redemption link, but it's not that bad. Also if you use my link and follow through with it I can potentially then get a $2.99 credit to get any app I want.

[quote name='Wiendog']Just an FYI Groove Coaster is up for $.99 in the app store. Created by the maker of SI: Infinity Gene. I'm downloading now.

Edit: Spent 5 minutes on the first level and can tell it's an instant classic.[/QUOTE]

Just in case this makes a difference for anyone .99 is a launch special. 2.99 will be the normal price.

Groove Coaster is great. Sort of Elite Beat Agents if it had Child of Eden's soundtrack. I gladly bought the two additional songs.

Wow ok, a bunch of people (13) jumped on that deal I posted about because I was able then to get a bunch of free apps (my choice, valued @ $2.99 or less). So thank you everyone who helped me out. This is a good day!

[quote name='DaFees']Wow ok, a bunch of people (13) jumped on that deal I posted about because I was able then to get a bunch of free apps (my choice, valued @ $2.99 or less). So thank you everyone who helped me out. This is a good day![/QUOTE]

woah, congrats! :D

Monster Feed and Monster Feed HD are FREE for the first time.
"The monsters are hungry and ready to feed! Use your towers and powerful spells to stop them from feeding on the innocent animals. This will be no easy task- these monsters have the abilities to make them challenging to stop. But you have the powers to do so! Use your spells and cunning to stop the unmerciful onslaught. This is no defense game for the faint of heart!"

[quote name='xtheapocx']Game dev story is 99 cents[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing most people already own this, but as a recent iPod Touch buyer, I was waiting for it to go on sale.

Groove Coaster is indeed great! Definitely worth 99 cents and I'll surely buy the extra songs in part just to throw them a bone, in larger part so I can play them. In case it matters, I didn't care much for Space Invaders Infinity Gene at all. This game is great, though. Not that they are similar.

[quote name='Malik112099']Anyone try Gesundheit! yet!? Great game! Just makes you smile while you play it[/QUOTE]

Great game. Another iOS classic.

Cover Orange has dropped back down to FREE for the first time since the beginning of the year. It's also the main FAAD game right now.
"Cover Orange is an exciting puzzle game suitable for all ages. It combines realistic game physics, enduring levels, vibrant colours and laugh out loud animations.
It’s time to pump up the juice in a game made from pure orange concentrate!"

Vector Conflict: The Siege
is another current FAAD offering.
"Vector Conflict is an intense 3D shooter set in a bleak, post-apocalyptic retro world. You are in control of the defensive systems for the vast SOTER underground bunker. You are the last line of defense for the survivors taking refuge below – protect them at all costs!"

Chickens Quest
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Chickens Quest is an amazing arcade-puzzle game!
Once upon a time somewhere in the country, was a quiet night and nobody could image that their future would be inexorably changed.
Now they need your help to go back home and finally hug their mom and dad for the very first time!"

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Holy mother... Gesundheit is gorgeous! I wish it was universal... Guess I'm buying the HD version too... Curse you app store![/QUOTE]

I wish more developers would make universal apps instead of two separate apps. I know they probably look at it as a way for them to make more money. However universal apps are great for those of us who haven't bought an iPad yet (as it gives us a good feeling for when we do) plus to those who have an iPad and anything else it's great for sharing the app across all our devices.

Now on a different note,

Groove Coaster for Free

This is just like Chinatown Wars from yesterday, if you're new to this process I recommend checking out the "Reward TV" offer if it is available to you as in my opinion it is the easiest offer ever to complete. Just answer some questions about two recently viewed TV shows and right or wrong you'll get your free app. So enjoy.

EDITED - It has been brought to my attention that I was in the wrong. I guess I failed to realize affiliate link and referral link mean the same thing, my post has been edited accordingly.

Posting your own referral link is right up there with telling the owner of the site you had sexual relations with his mom on the scale of taboos here. Even if it gets people free stuff.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Posting your own referral link is right up there with telling the owner of the site you had sexual relations with his mom on the scale of taboos here. Even if it gets people free stuff.[/QUOTE]

You know, you're right, the rules & faqs only ever use the word "affiliate" so I guess I failed to realize that it was saying the same as referral, since the referral link and non-referral link took you to the same page (it's just I might have gotten something from the referral link). I've edited my post accordingly. On a side note though, I know posting direct referral links is wrong, but is it wrong to say that if people wanted to be nice they could append certain text to the end to the end of a given link? Sort of like an indirect referral I guess you'd say.

Can someone describe the gameplay of Gesundheit? It LOOKS beautiful, but I don't know what I'm looking at.

Too many iOS games have no description of gameplay whatsoever.

Offeredapps is trash, I do their offers and never get an email for the app anymore lately. And the offers for Chinatown Wars never worked.

[quote name='Vegan']Can someone describe the gameplay of Gesundheit? It LOOKS beautiful, but I don't know what I'm looking at.

Too many iOS games have no description of gameplay whatsoever.[/QUOTE]
It's basically a puzzle game. You have an overhead view of your allergic piggy and you guide him by pointing/touching where you want him to go. There are buttons to press and stars to collect. The objective for each scenario is to get all the stars and eliminate the monster. Oh yeah, the monsters are attracted to piggy's snot (hence, the gesundheit title) so you use that as a strategic element, too. It's really, really charming and not quite like anything else I've played (or seen) so far in the AppStore. I think it's easily worth the .99 asking price.

In freebie news, Burger Queen World has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Previously on 'BURGER QUEEN', she was managing to operate her father's burger shop. But she decides to open her own burger shop. Moreover, she is proposed to open new burger shops in UK and Japan. She happily accepts those proposals. But from now on she's gonna face new difficult customers and new menu in foreign countries...."

All the Hungry Shark games are FREE for the duration of Shark Week. There's a bunch of different versions, too. The + designates Retina Display graphics. These links are stolen from TouchArcade (thanks!):
Hungry Shark - Part 1
Hungry Shark - Part 1+
Hungry Shark - Part 2
Hungry Shark - Part 2+
Hungry Shark - Part 3
Hungry Shark - Part 1 HD
"Chomp your way to the top of the food chain in this fast-paced aquatic eat 'em-up. Binge on the beach, trawl the depths and raid the Antarctic to satisfy your voracious appetite. Pick-up-and-play fun with beat-your-buddies online hi-scores. Feeling peckish?"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Monster Feed and Monster Feed HD are FREE for the first time.
"The monsters are hungry and ready to feed! Use your towers and powerful spells to stop them from feeding on the innocent animals. This will be no easy task- these monsters have the abilities to make them challenging to stop. But you have the powers to do so! Use your spells and cunning to stop the unmerciful onslaught. This is no defense game for the faint of heart!"[/QUOTE]

HD version still shows 2.99 :/

[quote name='MSI Magus']Which for the Ipad version would be somewhat justified but for an Iphone game seems horribly expensive. Square again showing they are all about greed and thus pricing themselves out of the market.[/QUOTE]

Greed, yes. Pricing out of the market? I doubt it.

Too expensive for me by far, but not too expensive for a lot of fans, I'm pretty sure. If it ever drops under $5, I'll pick it up, but I still have my GBA version and a functioning GBA. I'll play it there or via emulator until it hits a price I can come to grips with.

[quote name='RagManX']Too expensive for me by far, but not too expensive for a lot of fans, I'm pretty sure. If it ever drops under $5, I'll pick it up, but I still have my GBA version and a functioning GBA. I'll play it there or via emulator until it hits a price I can come to grips with.[/QUOTE]

FFT:WoTL never had a GBA version, the GBA version was FFT: Advance which, while a decent game, was nowhere near the quality of FFT:WoTL. With that said, I'm incredibly pissed at the price, and while I'm able to stop myself from buying overpriced games I really want, FFT is one of my biggest weaknesses, so I'll likely buy it.

Wow, was excited for ftt iOS but $16 is ridiculous. They finally put it up on psn for $10, and I would have probably bit at 10 on iPhone just to have it on everything. Will wait for drop or sale, geez square, way to continue to be completely out of touch with markets.

$16 is ridiculous, especially when there are copies of the game floating around on different platforms for lower prices. I realize that it cost them $$$ to port the game over to iOS, but $16 for an app that costs them peanuts to have in the Appstore (what do they pay, a 30% cut to Apple?) is nuts. Hopefully they run a 50% off sale on their other apps, though. I want to finally get around to buying Secret of Mana :).

I would pay $16 for a universal app version of FFt ... but not for an ipod only version. Definitely waiting for the iPad version and even then, it will be a possible buy and not a must buy at this price.

Today's Penny Arcade really sums it up nicely. While the PSP version selling for this much would have been a good deal, while this PS1 version used to sell for about 100 dollars before the greatest hits edition came out, it still feels like a huge ripoff to pay 16 dollars for this on the iPhone.

I guess I'm not surprised. I guessed a few days back that FFT would launch at $16.99, just seemed like the right price for SE. I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger. I really haven't been doing any iOS gaming recently despite having purchased several new games. And what with the possibility that I'll be getting an iPad at work, I'd much prefer the added real estate of the iPad version. Guess I won't have a difficult time passing up on this for awhile.

Console ports and console wannabes, except for the Cave shumps, are often some of the worst fun/investment ratios there are on the Iphone, and I think y'all are silly for considering Square's prices, much less their games.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Console ports and console wannabes, except for the Cave shumps, are often some of the worst fun/investment ratios there are on the Iphone, and I think y'all are silly for considering Square's prices, much less their games.[/QUOTE]

Well I don't know about everyone else but I found FFI, II and III to be very well done on iOS. This game seems like it should be perfect for a touch screen.

[quote name='Dmonrei']FFT:WoTL never had a GBA version, the GBA version was FFT: Advance which, while a decent game, was nowhere near the quality of FFT:WoTL. With that said, I'm incredibly pissed at the price, and while I'm able to stop myself from buying overpriced games I really want, FFT is one of my biggest weaknesses, so I'll likely buy it.[/QUOTE]

Good to know there is a difference. I find all the Final Fantasy games kinda mediocre or slightly better, but like to play them just to know a little about what they are like for when others talk about them. I haven't ever liked one enough to pay full price, which is a lesson I learned after buying VII, IV, then I for full price on varying platforms. Didn't realize this version was different from the FFT that was released on the GBA (or Tactics Ogre for GBA, which I also had but never played except the intro fight).

Staying kinda on topic, though, I'll probably still get it if it ever goes

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back