iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
^ 1112 is a pretty good series, and I think with each episode it gets progressively better. First one is a bit tame, but with 2 things start to get freaky. I just finished the 3rd one a couple days ago and really loved it. ^_^

[quote name='Felder71']Whomever added the Spy Mouse worksheet to the spreadsheet to prep for codes, but didn't have any to enter, thanks for getting my hopes up. :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that ;) I just wanted to have it ready to go for whomever has some to add.

Thanks to o0achilles0o for setting up this document and thanks to everyone who has contributed to it! Got shazam and spy mouse :)

Checked out the SBucks next door and they had plenty Shazam codes, but no Spy Mouse yet. I'll check again tomorrow or so. The fact that the had so many codes left from last week is promising though... I'll post Some Shazam codes in the GoogleDoc as soon as I can. Probably after my FF draft tonight, gotta prioritize you know. Heh

Whoever mentioned ComicFlow, you are awesome. I had been using ComicZeal and while decent, I've had some issues with it lately. ComicFlow is pretty damn awesome.

How do I find the codes from Starbuck?

edited: Like getting a list of codes from Starbucks to add to the list...

For comics on my iPad, I use ComicGlass because it was only $2.

I added a Spy Mouse code to the spreadsheet. I'll add more whenever I go to sbux next.

Since most iOS users are here, download 7x7 game from itunes its free, I played it for 5 minutes and won a $5 best buy code and $2 code to best buy, they email it instantly to your email, codes only can be used in store, just show them your phone with the email pulled up

[quote name='outphase']For comics on my iPad, I use ComicGlass because it was only $2.

I added a Spy Mouse code to the spreadsheet. I'll add more whenever I go to sbux next.[/QUOTE]

Another vote for ComicGlass here. Very well done app. You use iTunes to upload zip packages of your CBR files to it and it will extract and put books onto your virtual shelf for you. Very neat.

Thank you to all those contributing to the starbucks spreadsheet. I just got a code for spy mouse. I checked my local starbucks today and they didn't have any.

While the manga topic is still relevant, if you want a fairly basic app for just reading manga, I use cloudreader. It was free, but you have to drop all the files through iTunes. It handles .rars and .zips along with some other ones. If you want to read manga through an app, you can try Mangarock. It's free and there's an unlock IAP. It's pretty decent since you don't have to load any manga onto your device.

[quote name='Poor2More']Since most iOS users are here, download 7x7 game from itunes its free, I played it for 5 minutes and won a $5 best buy code and $2 code to best buy, they email it instantly to your email, codes only can be used in store, just show them your phone with the email pulled up[/QUOTE]Please explain. Just played about 10 minutes, but was never prompted for my email.

[quote name='darknight88']Cant find the google spreadsheet, could someone link me???[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this effort!

[quote name='iowaholdem']Please explain. Just played about 10 minutes, but was never prompted for my email.[/QUOTE]

It's unlocked by getting your first and second achievements. Typing my email in took longer to get them.

The achievements I did were
combo x 2: I think it's an L shape match, basically fit a corner piece. or it was 2 matches in a row.
match 7: basically have 3 on each side, and match the last piece.

Use a different phone to get more credit or other means :ziplip:

[quote name='iowaholdem']Please explain. Just played about 10 minutes, but was never prompted for my email.[/QUOTE]

Open 7x7 game in your GameCenter app

In addition to Destructopus, FAAD is also featuring Graffiti Wars among its new games.
"PLEASE NOTE: Graffiti Wars works best on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Because Graffiti Wars requires GPS and a network, iPod touch users will only be able to place graffiti at different Wi-Fi spots.
Create graffiti and tag up your city in this GPS based game of graffiti warfare!
Create Graffiti on your iphone and put it up in the real world (on a shared global map) for all to see! Earn points and spread your name as you place your graffiti as much as you can, where ever you can, but look out! you’ll be competing for locations to place graffiti with all the other players!
Tag over rival graffiti for points, use the points you earn to buy new creative tools, colors, and backgrounds! With the tools you gain, keep improving your graffiti design, share it with the world and try to reach the highest rankings to dominate the game and gain fame and respect!"

Battle Bears BLAST
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"BLAST is a fun & addictive arcade shooter perfect for all occasions. Just slide one finger around to blast away hordes of HUGGABLES out to hug you to death but DO NOT SHOOT WIL!"

Free App Calendar is showcasing SotA – Stele of the Ancients right now.
"SotA is an addicted puzzle game which includes 5 different classic modes, and moreover you can pick any favorite ancient to play with other players or friends online.
Simple game rules and controls allow you to perform combos easily.
Varied combinations of ultimates and items can be used in a match.
If you want to surprise the opponent, don't forget to summon the mighty ancient with the puzzles."

PLEASE NOTE: For all those who have written to me, I just want to reiterate that I don't have any control over the Google Docs spreadsheet. Please PM Achilles if you want access to it. Thanks.

Like Comicflow but doesn't look like you can delete from within the app.

I use CloudReaders and store comics in Dropbox. You can import into CloudReaders (you can also import into Comicflow from Dropbox).

I'm calling BS on this 7x7 thing .. I've seen random posts around CAG about it and a post on FatWallet with no responses. The app has no input for an email address and I've already unlocked 3 or 4 achievements with no "random message" popping up. I've also opened it through GameCenter and opened it normally. Sounds more like an app developer getting a bunch of people to make stuff up about their app to spur downloads. If it's not ... then explain in detail how to get on their email list, because I've seen nothing that would indicate what the criteria is to get a coupon via email.

Thanks to all for the Starbucks codes, does anyone know if this is at the actual stores or will they have these codes at the "kiosk"-type Starbucks in places like grocery stores? There's one of these type of places I can get to on my lunchtime walk, I want to contribute but don't want to waste time going if they don't (not a waste per se, just inconvenient since I would have to stop my walking groove to check)...

The Starbucks kiosk (really it's a large standalone, just sitting in the middle of the walkways) in my local mall had them sitting out such that anyone could just walk by and pick them up.

Thanks for getting those Spy Mouse codes Dimsdale! The game is definitely fun, but I was a bit disappointed to find that it isn't universal. I really feel like it will shine on the iPad. I suppose that's the idea. I'm sure I'll buy the iPad version once it's out. If you like this game, I recommend checking out Pickpawcket. It's a similar concept, but plays differently, and has some pretty awesome cat artwork you unlock with every level. It's universal, but 99 cents, not free.

http://appshopper.com/games/pickpawcket

I'm also in for free Super Drill Panic. Thank!

[quote name='crunchewy']Thanks for getting those Spy Mouse codes Dimsdale! The game is definitely fun, but I was a bit disappointed to find that it isn't universal. I really feel like it will shine on the iPad. I suppose that's the idea. I'm sure I'll buy the iPad version once it's out. If you like this game, I recommend checking out Pickpawcket. It's a similar concept, but plays differently, and has some pretty awesome cat artwork you unlock with every level. It's universal, but 99 cents, not free.

http://appshopper.com/games/pickpawcket

I'm also in for free Super Drill Panic. Thank![/QUOTE]

Retinapad FTW! ;) Unless you're one that is completely against jailbreaking, but that's a whole other topic. It's definitely a retina game since it looks really clear on my iPad.

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Thanks to all for the Starbucks codes, does anyone know if this is at the actual stores or will they have these codes at the "kiosk"-type Starbucks in places like grocery stores? There's one of these type of places I can get to on my lunchtime walk, I want to contribute but don't want to waste time going if they don't (not a waste per se, just inconvenient since I would have to stop my walking groove to check)...[/QUOTE]
The two that I visited that were in grocery stores didn't have them. Then again, one of the standalone Starbucks didn't have any, either. I may stop by the SuperTarget on my way home tonight and see if its Starbucks has the cards. Looks like it's a YMMV situation, so I won't rule out any of the 'bucks within easy access.

[quote name='etcrane']I'm calling BS on this 7x7 thing .. I've seen random posts around CAG about it and a post on FatWallet with no responses. The app has no input for an email address and I've already unlocked 3 or 4 achievements with no "random message" popping up. I've also opened it through GameCenter and opened it normally. Sounds more like an app developer getting a bunch of people to make stuff up about their app to spur downloads. If it's not ... then explain in detail how to get on their email list, because I've seen nothing that would indicate what the criteria is to get a coupon via email.[/QUOTE]

It worked for me on mine and my wife's phones. All I did was download the game and play it. If I recall correctly, I got the little pop-up to enter my email after I got over 500 points (for $5 Best By GC), and I think when I got a 5 block achievement (for $2 Best Buy GC). I am not positive on the latter though. But yeah, I got 2 emails for my game, and 2 for my wife's. Printed out the emails, went to Best Buy, and picked up a $15 subscription to @Gamer magazine and a $10 Hunted The Demon's Forge game for a total of $11.65. So yeah, it definitely works. The pop-up to enter your email comes up small on the bottom of the screen...it can be missed if you're not looking for it...looks kind of like a small ad popping up.

Email said this:

"Congratulations!
Here's your Best Buy $5 Gift Certificate
you won while playing a recent mobile game.

This email is a confirmation you've been awarded $5 in Best Buy gift certificates.
This can be redeemed in a Best Buy store only (not at www.bestbuy.com)
To redeem it in a Best Buy store,
provide this to the cashier at time of sale.

Your digital code is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You have received this email because you or a friend earned an achievement in 7x7, a Kiip enabled game and entered your email to get this reward."

[quote name='mightymek']It worked for me on mine and my wife's phones. All I did was download the game and play it. If I recall correctly, I got the little pop-up to enter my email after I got over 500 points (for $5 Best By GC), and I think when I got a 5 block achievement (for $2 Best Buy GC). I am not positive on the latter though. But yeah, I got 2 emails for my game, and 2 for my wife's. Printed out the emails, went to Best Buy, and picked up a $15 subscription to @Gamer magazine and a $10 Hunted The Demon's Forge game for a total of $11.65. So yeah, it definitely works. The pop-up to enter your email comes up small on the bottom of the screen...it can be missed if you're not looking for it...looks kind of like a small ad popping up.

Email said this:

"Congratulations!
Here's your Best Buy $5 Gift Certificate
you won while playing a recent mobile game.

This email is a confirmation you've been awarded $5 in Best Buy gift certificates.
This can be redeemed in a Best Buy store only (not at www.bestbuy.com)
To redeem it in a Best Buy store,
provide this to the cashier at time of sale.

Your digital code is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You have received this email because you or a friend earned an achievement in 7x7, a Kiip enabled game and entered your email to get this reward."[/QUOTE]Does it somehow not work on iPod touch? I've got 7 of 18 achievements and a high score of 1,818 but have never been prompted for an email input.

[quote name='Hostile']Going to give CloudReader a try. Didn't want to pay for MangaRock.[/QUOTE]

If it's manga what you want to read you might want to try Manga Storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back