iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rjejr'](explaining to my 9 year old son last night why I use a site called "cheap-ass" is enough trouble for me.)[/QUOTE]

LOL! I'm right there with you. My kids always take note when they see I'm reading the web site with the bad word in it's name. :) :)

And speaking of appshopper links... League of Evil has dropped to 99 cents again, and is now a universal app with iPad and iCade support... but I should point out that I tried it on my iPad 2 and the controls seemed screwed up. I often try to jump and move to the side and only go partway to the side when it stops doing that for no reason and I fall straight down. Anyone else seeing this problem? I presume they'll fix it, though, and in any case it's a great game on the iPhone still.

http://appshopper.com/games/league-of-evil

[quote name='tomwaits1']Super Monkey Ball 2 is showing as Free today. But, it won't let me download because the app is 'not currently available' ??[/QUOTE]

You missed your chance. It was free yesterday and part of today. You tried to get it while it was being modified back to not free.

[quote name='crunchewy']You missed your chance. It was free yesterday and part of today. You tried to get it while it was being modified back to not free.[/QUOTE]

Shit on a stick, I didn't see any posts about that. Blah.

It was posted about here either yesterday or the day before. I forget. You have to be quick. :)

Order & Chaos has dropped to 99 cents:

http://appshopper.com/games/order-chaos©-online

Note that it uses a subscription model like WoW. You get 3 months for your 99 cents.

Also, other Gameloft games are also 99 cents:

Gameloft Action Pack
Shrek Forever After™ : The Game
Iron Man 2
Driver™
Skater Nation

[quote name='crunchewy']LOL! I'm right there with you. My kids always take note when they see I'm reading the web site with the bad word in it's name. :) :)

And speaking of appshopper links... League of Evil has dropped to 99 cents again, and is now a universal app with iPad and iCade support... but I should point out that I tried it on my iPad 2 and the controls seemed screwed up. I often try to jump and move to the side and only go partway to the side when it stops doing that for no reason and I fall straight down. Anyone else seeing this problem? I presume they'll fix it, though, and in any case it's a great game on the iPhone still.

http://appshopper.com/games/league-of-evil[/QUOTE]

I've had no issues playing on my iPad 1 yet, are you playing with the iCade?

Chicken Balls drops to FREE for the first time as the OpenFeint FGOTD. There's also an HD version (iPad only), also currently FREE.
"You play Crash, the BRAVEST chicken this side of New Mexico. It’s the summer of 1947, you've just come back from the war and had hoped to hang up your flight cap for good. When a UFO crash lands just outside the nearby town of Roswell you knew you’d have to take to the skies - one more time."

Gamebook Adventures 6 drops to its lowest-ever price of $1.99 in celebration of Halloween.
"An interactive fantasy adventure! It's a book. It's a game. It's an RPG. It's a Gamebook Adventure!
Please note that you do not need to have read any of the previous gamebooks in order to read and play this. The critically acclaimed series of newly imagined interactive fantasy gamebooks puts you, the reader, in control of the story! Along with a realistic dice-based battle system to fight creatures, an epic tale and beautiful artwork, The Wizard from Tarnath Tor will give you many hours of gamebook adventuring!"

GA7 has been "nearly here" for ages. It feels like Empowered all over again. I'll receive one tome, devour it greedily, and then stare mournfully at the empty news pages waiting for the slightest tidbit about the new release. There will never be enough GA to sate me. Eugh.

7th Guest Iphone is still pretty good if you remember how dumb the game could be at times and adjust your enjoyment accordingly. I don't feel bad at all for, say, skipping the swap 50 knights puzzle and cheating on the maze. Great look back to our youths all the same. Note that the microscope puzzle, known to most as THAT fuckING MICROSCOPE, the pentragram blades jumping puzzle right before the final puzzle, and I THINK one other puzzle were all cut for one reason or another. Ipad users can buy the microscope puzzle as a separate fleshed out app but there are free Iphone games that manage the same gameplay and are kinda fun.

Stauf's soup cans though. That asshole.

[quote name='Cimpy101']I have 4 codes for "The Monster at the End of this Book" to give out. This is a childrens book app so be nice and don't claim it if you're not going to have any honest use for it:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-monster-at-end-this-book/id409467802?mt=8

YRAH9XRRF93K
JX34A6XWTE3N
RKH9LJYWE697
6F9Y4HKYT6L9

EDIT:All the codes have been claimed. Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Since a couple of leechers snagged the last two yesterday, I have another code to give out today. If you're a parent and have an actual use for this, reply and I'll PM it to you later today.

[quote name='Cimpy101']Since a couple of leechers snagged the last two yesterday, I have another code to give out today. If you're a parent and have an actual use for this, reply and I'll PM it to you later today.[/QUOTE]

What's the recommended age for this app? I have two 6 year olds that I think it might be too advanced for it.

Edit: I read the Itunes description and there isn't a recommendation. They are in the stages of starting to read and it looks like it's for 3-7 year olds.

[quote name='EvilIA']What's the recommended age for this app? I have two 6 year olds that I think it might be too advanced for it.

Edit: I read the Itunes description and there isn't a recommendation. They are in the stages of starting to read and it looks like it's for 3-7 year olds.[/QUOTE]

It's your call. The people who claimed the codes yesterday had 3 year olds. So if you think yours will like it, you can have it. I may have one last code to give out tomorrow too.

I could see older children growing bored of it quickly. Its perfect for our 3 year old who is just starting to read as its spells out the works as they're being read. He only gets a few pages in before he wants to quit and play the "star" game though(memory matching game), but I'm sure thats just the age.

[quote name='Cimpy101']Since a couple of leechers snagged the last two yesterday, I have another code to give out today. If you're a parent and have an actual use for this, reply and I'll PM it to you later today.[/QUOTE]

my 3 year old newphew could use this. if you have the code, i'll take it. thanks in advance.

[quote name='laseractive']Picked up Puzzle Quest for iPad while it is on sale for $2. The regular iPhone version is on sale as well.[/QUOTE]

Puzzle Quest sale:
Puzzle Quest HD $1.99 (iPad)
http://appshopper.com/games/puzzle-quest-hd

Puzzle Quest chapter 1 & 2 (iPhone) is $1.99
http://appshopper.com/games/puzzlequest-chapter-1-battle-of-gruulkar

Puzzle Quest chapter 1 (iPhone) is FREE!
http://appshopper.com/games/puzzle-quest-chapter-1

Also from the same developer Garage Inc HD is free, a pretty good time management game.
http://appshopper.com/games/garage-inc-hd

Anyone else having problems making purchases at iTunes right now? Tried to buy a game and kept getting a 'no connection to store' error.

Reckless Getaway is the new main FAAD game.
"Who’d a thought robbing the bank would be the easy part? Now comes the real challenge - to escape with your hard-earned loot having the fuzz hot at your heels!
Weave in and out of oncoming traffic; dodge, outrun or ram pursuing police cars
and just generally crash, smash and thrash your way through 16 varied levels.
Let’s face it: beating someone across the finishing line is a lot of fun,
but not nearly as much fun as tackling them into oncoming traffic to watch
chaos ensue. The Developers behind Reckless Racing now brings you Reckless Getaway!"

Minesweeper of Wizard
is also being showcased on FAAD.
"LOVE RETRO GAMES like Minesweeper?
But NO more grey squares on the grid please.
Play the classic game that is reborn with more entertaining elements; a story-based game flow, eye candy graphics and social networking features.
FEATURES:
★ A classic logic puzzler with optimized multi-touch play.
★ Eye candy graphics with exciting sound effects
★ Compete with your Facebook friends and get more excitements
★ Three various play modes: single, survival and speed"

Sparkle the Game
, a very decent Zuma clone, has dropped to FREE for only the second time.
"Get ready to save Crowberry Woods in this brand-new version of a PC and Mac hit game! The basic game play is simple: tap where you want the orb to land. Try to match three orbs to make them disappear. Make several matches in row to receive powerups. Just don't let the orbs fall into the abyss!
You'll also discover over ten different powerful amulets throughout your journey. They change the rules of the game in your favor. For example, the Amulet of Firebolt empowers you with powerful fiery bolts - and there are many more!"

[quote name='lawdood']Anyone else having problems making purchases at iTunes right now? Tried to buy a game and kept getting a 'no connection to store' error.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Sparkle the game is free right now. It is one of the best marble shooting match 3s on the app store by one of my favorite developers, 10ton.

Edit: I just noticed Dims already posted this, but plus one on recommending it.

[quote name='EvilIA']What's the recommended age for this app? I have two 6 year olds that I think it might be too advanced for it.

Edit: I read the Itunes description and there isn't a recommendation. They are in the stages of starting to read and it looks like it's for 3-7 year olds.[/QUOTE]

Honestly... my 5 year old loves it, and so does my 1.5 year old.

[quote name='Cimpy101']It's your call. The people who claimed the codes yesterday had 3 year olds. So if you think yours will like it, you can have it. I may have one last code to give out tomorrow too.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brother Daz']I could see older children growing bored of it quickly. Its perfect for our 3 year old who is just starting to read as its spells out the works as they're being read. He only gets a few pages in before he wants to quit and play the "star" game though(memory matching game), but I'm sure thats just the age.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kyle-k']Honestly... my 5 year old loves it, and so does my 1.5 year old.[/QUOTE]

My kids, like I'm sure most others have a short attention span. I have a similar storybook that they like to listen to and don't bother to read along. I bought them the tag system in hopes that would do it. But it hasn't. Their teacher is the only person they read with. So I do see them not using it.

My two quickly switch to a game now.

Good to see that somebodies older child likes it.

Edit: Cimpy101. If you are holding the code for meas I replied first. I appreciate your generosity, but think that Wario64's Nephew would be able to benefit from the application more than my kids.

App Store on Facebook is giving away codes for JetPack Joyride (while they last), need to "like" their page to get the code... I got mine!

[quote name='Javansdaddy']App Store on Facebook is giving away codes for JetPack Joyride (while they last), need to "like" their page to get the code... I got mine![/QUOTE]Thanks!

[quote name='Javansdaddy']App Store on Facebook is giving away codes for JetPack Joyride (while they last), need to "like" their page to get the code... I got mine![/QUOTE]

Thanks

[quote name='Javansdaddy']App Store on Facebook is giving away codes for JetPack Joyride (while they last), need to "like" their page to get the code... I got mine![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='EvilIA']My kids, like I'm sure most others have a short attention span. I have a similar storybook that they like to listen to and don't bother to read along. I bought them the tag system in hopes that would do it. But it hasn't. Their teacher is the only person they read with. So I do see them not using it.

My two quickly switch to a game now.

Good to see that somebodies older child likes it.

Edit: Cimpy101. If you are holding the code for meas I replied first. I appreciate your generosity, but think that Wario64's Nephew would be able to benefit from the application more than my kids.[/QUOTE]

Spideymike sent me a PM shortly after you replied and before Wario64 posted, so I sent it over to him this morning after not hearing back from you.

Now I'm out of codes, but you can stop by Starbucks and pick yourself up one if you want (and if you're feeling generous, a few extra for fellow CAGs). I picked these codes up on friday, so they may have switched which app they're giving away by now.

Awesome thank you

So I see that for PuzzleQuest, the HD version has chapter 3 included, but there is no chapter 3 for the non-HD version? is that right?

Also, why is Puzzlequest 2 done by a different publisher (Namco)?

[quote name='ArmorForVictor']thanks got a code been meaning to buy it since it came out, but hey free is better :)[/QUOTE]

Clicking around trying to navigate back the the main App Store fan page and accidentally clicked on "Get Your Free App" and it came back with a SECOND redemption code! It seems like there's a loophole here, in theory one person could hoard a lot of these codes and sell/give them away. I don't know if this is a good thing posting my discovery here, but it seems to work. I now have a second Jetpack Joyride code if anyone misses out on the promotion.

I was just looking at Puzzle Quest and I figured out the best way to do it on the iPhone is to get Puzzle Quest chapter 1 which is currently free, then unlock chapters 2 & 3 for $.99 each as in app purchases. Don't get the app with chapters 1 & 2 bundled together for $1.99 or else your going to end up paying an extra buck for chapter 3.

[quote name='jjz203']Clicking around trying to navigate back the the main App Store fan page and accidentally clicked on "Get Your Free App" and it came back with a SECOND redemption code! It seems like there's a loophole here, in theory one person could hoard a lot of these codes and sell/give them away. I don't know if this is a good thing posting my discovery here, but it seems to work. I now have a second Jetpack Joyride code if anyone misses out on the promotion.[/QUOTE]

I would love to have it if you were willing. I don't agree with friending and liking companies on my personal profiles.

[quote name='jjz203']Clicking around trying to navigate back the the main App Store fan page and accidentally clicked on "Get Your Free App" and it came back with a SECOND redemption code! It seems like there's a loophole here, in theory one person could hoard a lot of these codes and sell/give them away. I don't know if this is a good thing posting my discovery here, but it seems to work. I now have a second Jetpack Joyride code if anyone misses out on the promotion.[/QUOTE]

was curious just logged back into FB and clicked the get your free code link again and what do you know another code looks like someone messed up hopefully people won't hoard them the second code i got is for my cousin who doesn't have a FB so all is good

[quote name='fujishig']
Also, why is Puzzlequest 2 done by a different publisher (Namco)?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back