iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cimpy101']So I don't know how many people have played it yet, but Ticket to Ride for iphone is fantastic! If you've ever played the board game you'll appreciate how fast you can play a game in this version (most take 10-15 minutes). I've been playing a lot of Local 1v1 against my fiance and compared to other apps, 99 cents feels like a steal!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ticket-to-ride-pocket/id471857988?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2[/QUOTE]

I just wish it had asynchronous online multiplayer like a lot of the other board game adaptations on the iOS platform have.

[quote name='phatbhuda']I just wish it had asynchronous online multiplayer like a lot of the other board game adaptations on the iOS platform have.[/QUOTE]

That would be nice. A feature I would've like to see is the ability to add AI opponents to local multiplayer. 1v1 is fun, but we'd like a little bit more variety

[quote name='Cimpy101']Here's some more codes for ESPN Films 30 FOR 30- Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs The New York Knicks.

EEWH3H3EFXXH
FYMHFWJAFJKK
PJEJWW7FXPN3
XJ3YPKK6KTTM

[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much! I took the second one, and it should be noted that the last one didn't work for me.

[quote name='Cimpy101']So I don't know how many people have played it yet, but Ticket to Ride for iphone is fantastic! If you've ever played the board game you'll appreciate how fast you can play a game in this version (most take 10-15 minutes). I've been playing a lot of Local 1v1 against my fiance and compared to other apps, 99 cents feels like a steal!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ticket-to-ride-pocket/id471857988?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2[/QUOTE]

Instant buy thanks. I've been waiting for this version since the iPad version came out.

So where can I pick up a Reggie Miller vs The Knicks code at? Starbucks? I believe I watched that game live back in the day would like to check it out. Thanks

I'd love to get one of those How to Cook Everything codes as well, where are they coming from? And I thought Starbucks stuff only came out on Tuesday.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']Instant buy thanks. I've been waiting for this version since the iPad version came out.[/QUOTE]

The iPad app costs a more, but from my understanding, has more maps (which I would gladly pay for as an in-game download if it became available). Being a bigger device, I think that version would lend itself better to the pass and play mode too.

Damn, the SMB game doesn't work in iOS 5 on the ipad. Screen just goes black and has audio but no video.

Should have looked at the reviews first as all the recent reviews are 1 star about this problem.

[quote name='Cimpy101']The iPad app costs a more, but from my understanding, has more maps (which I would gladly pay for as an in-game download if it became available). Being a bigger device, I think that version would lend itself better to the pass and play mode too.[/QUOTE]

The iPad version also has online play and it works very well and last I checked was lively (not asynch, but I like TTR played quickly, so I don't mind). It works both with GameCenter and with Days of Wonder's existing game servers, so you can play against people with the computer version. I'm pretty disappointed that they left off online play in the iPhone verison. I have some friends that I'd like to play against, but they only have an iPhone. So, 99 cents is nice, but I'd rather they charged more and included online.

I ended up buying it anyway. Good for a quick bot game of TTR while out and about. I'll try out the local multiplayer too, but everyone will want to use the iPad version. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry this is OT for games, but what's a good Ipad app for reading PDF? I have some to read on the airplane and was trying to figure out a way to get it saved to my Ipad.

[quote name='boneless']Sorry this is OT for games, but what's a good Ipad app for reading PDF? I have some to read on the airplane and was trying to figure out a way to get it saved to my Ipad.[/QUOTE]

Goodreader by far.

Awesome options for organizing, reading and marking up PDFs.

Use can use Dropbox. Save it to Dropbox on your computer and then open the Dropbox app on your Ipad and you'll be able to read the PDF from there.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Goodreader by far.[/QUOTE]
+1
GoodReader blows away every other pdf reader on the iPad (and I've tried a lot of them). It's even a better pdf annotator than the much more expensive iAnnotate PDF. Also includes password protecting files/folders, import docs from other apps including Dropbox, and web interface for up/downloading.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-for-ipad/id363448914?mt=8

[quote name='hbomb']Dark Meadow is going on sales for $0.99. Supposedly it's a cross between Bioshock and Infinite Blade. Rated pretty highly numerous reviewers.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/dark-meadow/id452823332?mt=8[/QUOTE]
Thanks, glad I didn't bite on their last $2.99 sale :)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Goodreader by far.

Awesome options for organizing, reading and marking up PDFs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='abert78160']Use can use Dropbox. Save it to Dropbox on your computer and then open the Dropbox app on your Ipad and you'll be able to read the PDF from there.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lilman']+1
GoodReader blows away every other pdf reader on the iPad (and I've tried a lot of them). It's even a better pdf annotator than the much more expensive iAnnotate PDF. Also includes password protecting files/folders, import docs from other apps including Dropbox, and web interface for up/downloading.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-for-ipad/id363448914?mt=8

Thanks, glad I didn't bite on their last $2.99 sale :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! :D

Jetpack Joyride Codes

XYXMERJXEPP4
TMELFP4NR9KT
KL7LMT46EYK6
WJ76RNH9MAYM
6LRJPEX7NLTP

Please let others know if you use them, thanks.
Enjoy

[quote name='hbomb']Dark Meadow is going on sales for $0.99. Supposedly it's a cross between Bioshock and Infinite Blade. Rated pretty highly numerous reviewers.

When this dropped to $3 after two weeks I claimed that it would be 99cents before Christmas. This is much earlier than I expected! Maybe I should wait for it to go free...

I'm not so sure that will ever happen.

What the crap?! This dropped to .99 for all of about 12 seconds. Okay, maybe it was a tad longer. But not much. Already showing $5.99 again. Maybe it's just one of those goofy AppStore glitches where the price yo-yos for a bit when a new game goes on sale. Hope it drops back down this evening.

[quote name='Dimsdale']What the crap?! This dropped to .99 for all of about 12 seconds. Okay, maybe it was a tad longer. But not much. Already showing $5.99 again. Maybe it's just one of those goofy AppStore glitches where the price yo-yos for a bit when a new game goes on sale. Hope it drops back down this evening.[/QUOTE]

I still see .99 for that app.

[quote name='Dimsdale']What the crap?! This dropped to .99 for all of about 12 seconds. Okay, maybe it was a tad longer. But not much. Already showing $5.99 again. Maybe it's just one of those goofy AppStore glitches where the price yo-yos for a bit when a new game goes on sale. Hope it drops back down this evening.[/QUOTE]

Goofy store glitch. When I searched for the app, the main page showed $5.99. But on the purchase page it showed $.99. It also showed $.99 in iTunes.

Okay. I just checked again after posting and it's at $5.99

[quote name='Artrigis']Jetpack Joyride Codes

XYXMERJXEPP4
TMELFP4NR9KT
KL7LMT46EYK6
WJ76RNH9MAYM
6LRJPEX7NLTP

Please let others know if you use them, thanks.
Enjoy
[/QUOTE]

All expired. Thanks though.

Dark Meadow is showing .99 again on its link and in the AppStore. Downloading now before it changes at random. Pretty big sucker, too . . . going to have to make room for it.

Does anyone know if Square Enix ever does sales on their games? or am I doomed to pay their ridiculous prices? I'm fairly new to this whole ios deals.

I've been playing Desert Bus for 4 hours now and I am hooked. I can't wait to see how the drive back will go ... should be finished sometime tomorrow, see you guys then

[quote name='Dragon138']Does anyone know if Square Enix ever does sales on their games? or am I doomed to pay their ridiculous prices? I'm fairly new to this whole ios deals.[/QUOTE]

To answer your question: Yes, Square Enix does have sales, but they're usually few and far between. And when they DO have sales, they aren't that great - I think the best I've seen is 50% off on some of their games. Also, try using AppShopper to keep track of game sales. They have an app that will notify you of any price drops for apps you have on your wishlist.

[quote name='Dragon138']Does anyone know if Square Enix ever does sales on their games? or am I doomed to pay their ridiculous prices? I'm fairly new to this whole ios deals.[/QUOTE]

They usually have a sale when a new game comes out, but only a few bucks off their generally high prices...

[quote name='MSI Magus']Listed as free for me! Grabbed it! Thanks![/QUOTE]

It's the trial that's free. The full game is in-app purchase, and is listed as $4.99 still. I don't think it drops to 99c until Friday.

[quote name='Thrakker']It's the trial that's free. The full game is in-app purchase, and is listed as $4.99 still. I don't think it drops to 99c until Friday.[/QUOTE]

Damn, sorry about that guys! I read it quickly when the update showed up today and automatically assumed that they meant the deal was for Black Friday but it had started already like the many other BF sales for other iOS games. I guess it doesn't start until Friday.

[quote name='suwillgetu']IAP for the full version of Shantae: Risky's Revenge dropped to $0.99 from $2.99 for Black Friday. The sale lasts up to Cyber Monday.[/QUOTE]

Really wish they had just a regular paid version. I hate IAP. Will definitely buy it anyway on Friday if I remember to snag it.

[quote name='Thrakker']It's the trial that's free. The full game is in-app purchase, and is listed as $4.99 still. I don't think it drops to 99c until Friday.[/QUOTE]

Apple really needs to ban developers from doing that shit. Its really misleading.

[quote name='suwillgetu']IAP for the full version of Shantae: Risky's Revenge dropped to $0.99 from $2.99 for Black Friday. The sale lasts up to Cyber Monday.[/QUOTE]

It says full game unlock is $4.99. Where did the $2.99 come from? Or the 99 cent sale?

edit: nm, I see it on the description. but it says $4.99 for unlock...?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Apple really needs to ban developers from doing that shit. Its really misleading.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I hate it so much. I won't even download games that use that system.

[quote name='Rychy']I agree, I hate it so much. I won't even download games that use that system.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the big deal, it's a great way to try a game before you buy it. If you decide you want the game, you don't have to download the "full edition".

Instead of an in-app purchase to unlock the rest of the game, they should offer demos. Like on Xbox. Then people won't download a trial thinking it's the full game.

[quote name='Mr.']Instead of an in-app purchase to unlock the rest of the game, they should offer demos. Like on Xbox. Then people won't download a trial thinking it's the full game.[/QUOTE]

they do have demos on the app store. the trial thing is just so if you decide to purchase the full thing, you don't have to wait for a whole other download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back