iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DtotheP']they do have demos on the app store. the trial thing is just so if you decide to purchase the full thing, you don't have to wait for a whole other download.[/QUOTE]

prevents piracy too i think.

[quote name='Vegan']I'm trying to unlock Shantae and it asks me if I want to buy it for $4.99... I updated and everything.[/QUOTE]

It's not on sale yet. How's the non-full version?

Lamebo vs Zombies is the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Who’s a foul mouthed magma gun yielding zombie blasting mutated lamb then? Lamebo, that’s who!
Lamebo VS Zombies is an addictively fast and furious zombie blasting game.
You will control the mutated lamb called Lamebo and defend yourself against a multitude of strange zombified creatures such as half-bodied crawling zombies, zombified chickens who lay venomous eggs, katana-yielding zombified ninja rabbits and explosive keg throwing zombie bears!
As Lamebo progresses through the stages, you must face scarier zombies and more challenging level designs. The good thing is, there is a healthy arsenal of wicked weapons at hand to blast the zombies into smithereens. Not enough fire power? No problem, because every weapon can be upgraded multiple times!"

Continuing the zombie theme, Stupid Zombies is the main FAAD game right now.
"Those stupid zombies are back, and you are humanity's last hope to keep them brainless. One man, one shotgun and lots of stupid zombies.
Features:
- 600 unique and puzzling levels
- Universal app
- Supports Retina display
- Game Center leaderboards"

[quote name='DtotheP']they do have demos on the app store. the trial thing is just so if you decide to purchase the full thing, you don't have to wait for a whole other download.[/QUOTE]

Also saves you the trouble of redoing parts of the game you completed in the demo. As long as developers are upfront about it, I think it's a better idea than a separate demo app

Yeah, I don't really get the hate for in-app unlocks. I hate having to start over after trying a separate free trial version. Or even worse, no free trial. Overall in-app unlocks are better. The only problem with them is that currently appshopper doesn't track price changes in in-app purchases. If they did it would be 100% better.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah, I don't really get the hate for in-app unlocks. I hate having to start over after trying a separate free trial version. Or even worse, no free trial. Overall in-app unlocks are better. The only problem with them is that currently appshopper doesn't track price changes in in-app purchases. If they did it would be 100% better.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much my only issue with them is that we can't track the sales :D

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah, I don't really get the hate for in-app unlocks. I hate having to start over after trying a separate free trial version. Or even worse, no free trial. Overall in-app unlocks are better. The only problem with them is that currently appshopper doesn't track price changes in in-app purchases. If they did it would be 100% better.[/QUOTE]

You just answered your own question. You don't get the hate for it, but you just stated why it's hated. Currently, it's not possible to track in-app purchases like you can a straight up app purchase, so people want the option they can track more easily. So rarely in life do we get the answers to life's questions so quickly! ;)

I wish appshopper would track in-app apps like this, but I'm not entirely sure how said support would work exactly. Then again, I wish Apple would give us a iTunes site that let us track these things online without using iTunes. Yes, I can let my browser link into iTunes, but that feels very clumsy to me.

[quote name='sadunk']All expired. Thanks though.[/QUOTE]

Ahh.. damnit, I had about 20 more codes too, Wanted to throw a couple out for grabs every day =(

All Telltale Apps are 80% off for iphone and 55% off for ipad now until Nov. 30.

They also mention that some exclusions apply, whatever that means since they also said all...

ETA: Apparently that means Jurassic Park isn't on sale... But we all saw that coming. heh

Telltale iPhone games are on sale now for $0.99. This includes the following games:
Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Agent 2
Hector: Ep2
Hector: Ep3

Hector: Ep1 is not sold by Telltale, I guess, and Monkey Island Tales 1 is not on sale.

Telltale iPad games are also on sale. The following are marked down to $2.99:
Puzzle Agent HD
Puzzle Agent 2 HD
Sam & Max Episode 1
Monkey Island Tales 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Back to the Future Episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Hector: Ep1, Ep2, Ep3
Wallace & Gromit The Last Resort

[quote name='Yanksfan']I was just about the post the Telltale sale. Picked up Puzzle Agent 2, Hector Episodes 2 & 3. Damn good deals :D[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same ones I got...

[quote name='billydeewilliams']hey guys im looking for a mario kart type game for my iphone. which is the better buy in your opinion? shrek kart or cars 2? both trials leave much to be desired[/QUOTE]
Get Sega & Sonic All Stars Racing.

[quote name='scavy']Agreed[/QUOTE]

Yep. Definitely the best by FAR. Second place I'd give to the Crash Bandicoot one, but Sonic is miles ahead of it.

$1 never happens they said!

They DID discount Book 1. They usually sell for $5. When Book 4 came out, they discounted Book 1 to $3.

I recommend all of them, but 1 and 4 are the best if you are feeling exceptionally stingy.

Well then, it's weird that they all go to $1 except the first book (and the most recent, which is understandable). That's what I mean.

Worms Crazy Golf (iPhone) is on sale for $.99
http://appshopper.com/games/worms-crazy-golf

The iPad version is on sale for $3 but I think I'm waiting for it to go $.99
http://appshopper.com/games/worms-crazy-golf-hd

Also the Sentinel tower defense games are on sale and are pretty good.
Sentinel: Mars Defense is free (iPhone)
http://appshopper.com/games/sentinel

Sentinel 2: Earth Defense is free (iPhone)
http://appshopper.com/games/sentinel-2-earth-defense

Sentinel 3: Homeworld is $.99 (universal)
http://appshopper.com/games/sentinel-3-homeworld

[quote name='Vegan']Well then, it's weird that they all go to $1 except the first book (and the most recent, which is understandable). That's what I mean.[/QUOTE]

I imagine because most people usually want to start with the first. The sale for the others forces people (like me) to pull the trigger on them and I pay the slightly higher price for the first so I can play the series in the order they were released.

I know what you mean though, most companies would discount the first as well in this situation.

[quote name='ass-assassin']Sadly the iPad version is only down to $4.99. It's been $3.99, $1.99 and $0.99 before but I guess EA isn't in the giving mood this Thanksgiving :([/QUOTE]

How many gifts do YOU give for Thanksgiving? Christmas is the time for gift-giving! EA knows what it's doing.

[quote name='RollingSkull']$1 never happens they said![/QUOTE]

I don't know any iPhone developer whose word I can trust. Except rocketcat. What's the point of making promises? I would just be like "I'm charging $3 at the start. I plan to raise it to $5 after the one-week promotional period ends, but I might chicken out. At some point the game will probably be available for 99 cents or free, but I hope that won't be for a long time. It might be after two weeks though, so be careful."

[quote name='RollingSkull']$1 never happens they said!

They DID discount Book 1. They usually sell for $5. When Book 4 came out, they discounted Book 1 to $3.

I recommend all of them, but 1 and 4 are the best if you are feeling exceptionally stingy.[/QUOTE]

Bah. Bought these when they were 1.99. Knew I should've waited.

[quote name='mykevermin']GTAIII, Vice City, and San Andreas are $6.99 each (reg. $14.99) on the Mac App Store.[/QUOTE]

how are the mac versions? i have a 2011 MBP with the 512 graphics card. The reviews say they are a bit laggy and clunky controls. I wouldnt mind having these on my mac for when I travel.

Has anyone bought Puzzle Agent or Puzzle Agent 2 for iPhone today for $0.99 on an iOS5 device?

Many reviews say the game is broken on iOS5, but I have always wanted these games for $0.99....

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Has anyone bought Puzzle Agent or Puzzle Agent 2 for iPhone today for $0.99 on an iOS5 device?

Many reviews say the game is broken on iOS5, but I have always wanted these games for $0.99....[/QUOTE]
Bought both today for my iOS5 4. Haven't tried them yet, but it's only a matter of time before they're patched if they don't work.

Anyone tried HECTOR? I'm tempted, but they're 500+MB each and I'm hesitant to blind buy a game that takes up that much space.

UPDATE: Puzzle Agent 1 won't load on iOS5 beyond the opening splash screen. Puzzle Agent 2 works fine. I'd expect the first one to be patched soon though.

For anyone who may not be paying attention to the BF threads, at bestbuy.com right now you can get a $100 iTunes Gift Card for $80.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I don't like IAP unlocks because I don't trust Iphone's shitty DLC management/buying system.[/QUOTE]

This being the primary reason I hate IAP as well. The only IAP I have ever purchased was Peggle Nights when it went on sale for $0.99. Worth it.

[quote name='porieux']For anyone who may not be paying attention to the BF threads, at bestbuy.com right now you can get a $100 iTunes Gift Card for $80.[/QUOTE]

i got my 60$ card attempt canceled, so just re-ordered for 80$, 20% is 20%, not as good as 40%, but that was highly unlikely to go thru.

[quote name='envelopes']I don't know any iPhone developer whose word I can trust. Except rocketcat. What's the point of making promises? I would just be like "I'm charging $3 at the start. I plan to raise it to $5 after the one-week promotional period ends, but I might chicken out. At some point the game will probably be available for 99 cents or free, but I hope that won't be for a long time. It might be after two weeks though, so be careful."[/QUOTE]

And Rocketcat only keeps THAT promise because they're the typical asshole indie developers.

Shantae $3 was supposed to be a limited time deal so I bought it then on impulse BUT NOPE IT STAYS $3 AND DROPS TO $1 LOL

[quote name='JJSP']Anyone tried HECTOR? I'm tempted, but they're 500+MB each and I'm hesitant to blind buy a game that takes up that much space.[/QUOTE]

Keep an eye to Steam for Hector prices but yes, all three games are great, hilarious, clever, raunchy, but never over-the-top or too random. They are easily worth whatever price is asked. They are each short though.

My only problem with them though is that they go a little overboard with the all caps hints, you know, the Lucasarts style turns of phrase in character conversation that phrase the problem JUST SO as to drop hints as to what the solution is. They come so freely that almost every solution presents itself too easily and the only real trouble you'll have is not having picked up the item you need. That said, the puzzles ARE clever by and large even if they never get too hard. It's just a damn fine classic style adventure game great for those looking for humor that isn't the standard Telltale brand.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I don't like IAP unlocks because I don't trust Iphone's shitty DLC management/buying system.[/QUOTE]

This. Two IAP things my son wanted failed to work correctly. One didn't give him the coins or whatever he was supposed to get. The other ended up double charging us.

Both were fixed, but I had to contact Apple or the developers. In contrast, if there's a problem buying something directly from the App Store, the purchase doesn't complete.

Ooh, Async Corp went free. Quirky puzzle game that I wanted to try, but was willing to wait till it went free. Now it is.

Also, seriously, to get DLC again, you have to "leap of faith" buy it again?! SERIOUSLY? This is still a thing?! You get one more prompt to confirm if you ALREADY OWN IT than if you're just buying it. That's just the definition of madness right there.

There's no file or feeling of ownership of the DLC. Even MS gives you a separate key file to unlock stuff on disk that you can manage and move. There it feels like SOMETHING. Here it feels like a leap of faith if you're actually buying it.

And holy crap Surviving High School just put out the most monstrous screw-up of all updates, causing it to misread save files and make everyone think their DLC is lost. This is the sort of game most folks have probably dropped more on DLC than they care to remember, too. DLC heavy games like SHS lose big because of Iphone's stupid implementation and no quick way of re-downloading just the stuff you own specifically on Itunes, but the Facebook crowd that's their fanbase all blames SHS rather than Itunes.

Just snagged a $100 itunes Gift Card from BestBuy.com for $80 (plus tax for my state). Digital delivery. They claim it should arrive within 15 minutes but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back