iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='envelopes']No... it would be really bad for them to let you keep the unlimited plan AND have tethering. Much better to have the 4gig cap than implicitly say you can download full ps3 games or whatever with it.

When I was using iPad with unlimited data (after they got rid of the unlim plan after like two fucking weeks) I monitored my usage very closely... even downloading a bunch of albums with goodreader and using the thing as my primary home internet I only used like 2.1gig in my most heavy month. It was just super annoying that I could only download small games! Ridic.[/QUOTE]

Since I subscribed to Spotify, I've been using about 3 to 4gb per month on my phone (I listen to music on it at work a lot, and while driving, and it apparently adds up quite quickly). So yeah, not giving up the unlimited plan. If an extra $25/month or whatever the tethering plan costs by itself isn't enough to pay for the extra data that I'd use with it, then I guess I can do without it.

I would be fine with a cap if their caps were reasonable. But 200mb or 2gb before they start adding on ridiculous overage charges is not good enough.

[quote name='arcane93']Since I subscribed to Spotify, I've been using about 3 to 4gb per month on my phone (I listen to music on it at work a lot, and while driving, and it apparently adds up quite quickly). So yeah, not giving up the unlimited plan. If an extra $25/month or whatever the tethering plan costs by itself isn't enough to pay for the extra data that I'd use with it, then I guess I can do without it.

I would be fine with a cap if their caps were reasonable. But 200mb or 2gb before they start adding on ridiculous overage charges is not good enough.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Spotify wasn't in the US back then. I have no idea how much data I was using with that one when I had my iPod (I canceled because I didn't have an iPhone & offline mode is seriously broken).

I use internet streaming, but not Spotify. Mainly listen to Indie Pop Rocks. I have only once ever gone over 2 GB, and that was because I messed around with Netflix over 3G. Don't do that if you have a limited data plan, that's for sure. However streaming IPR in 64 kbps AAC+, which sounds really good (don't miss the "+" on that AAC), doesn't use *that* much bandwidth.

Regarding Zen Pinball. It's well done, but everything is *really* tiny on an iPhone 4. It looks good and I like that you can rotate the phone to go landscape, which makes it much more playable... until multiball starts. Then it zooms out and pretty much all I can do is just flip and hope for the best. It occurs to me that I could rotate to portrait view during multiball and that might help with that view. I haven't had a chance to try it on the iPad yet, but I'm guessing it will be a lot better on there just due to the screen size. Mind you, it's still worth playing on the iPhone and clearly they've put a lot of effort into this release. What's unclear to me is if it only uses OpenFeint for the in-game leaderboards. If so, then that sucks. I need to look at the options, though. Maybe there's a switch to set which to use?

[quote name='mightymek']Picked up Zen Pinball. Can't wait to play it. I have the Marvel tables on PSN, and love them. I'll probably wait for them to drop in price on iOS. I do love me some pinball, especially from Zen![/QUOTE]
Do yourself and Zen a favor. Pick up the Cap table. It plays exactly the same.
$2 for a killer pinball table that plays well on iOS? It's well-worth the minimal MSRP cost from a excellent developer.

Aww, zen pinball requires 5.0 firmware.. im afraid to update my iphone, last time I did it stopped working and I had to tinker with it for 3-4 hours.. wont update it again until they force me to

I just played it on the iPad 2. Yes, it is *way* better on there. No zooming or anything needed. Pretty great. However it does look like the in-game high scores/friend leaderboard is via openfeint. I'm pretty bummed about that. Why are devs still insisting on using OpenFeint? I guess there must be a reason, but it's still pretty annoying. Anyone who wants to compete in this game, feel free to send me an OpenFeint friend request - I'm crunc on there.

Played portrait on an iPad 2, I think the perspective of the game is better than on the 360. It's pretty awesome. Plays great. Gives me a lot of hope for Pinball Arcade. Pinball FX will tied me over nicely until we get that.

[quote name='envelopes']Good point. Spotify wasn't in the US back then. I have no idea how much data I was using with that one when I had my iPod (I canceled because I didn't have an iPhone & offline mode is seriously broken).[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, they seem to have fixed a lot of the problems with offline mode. I use it for those things which I know that I'm going to be listening to a lot. It's basically replaced my mp3 content, because it's so much easier to change things out (no hassle with syncing with iTunes), and there's a lot more selection than my mp3 collection.

[quote name='Vader582']Do yourself and Zen a favor. Pick up the Cap table. It plays exactly the same.
$2 for a killer pinball table that plays well on iOS? It's well-worth the minimal MSRP cost from a excellent developer.[/QUOTE]

Oh I might pick up the Marvel tables at full price. Knowing me, as soon as my hands touch the free table I'll want more. I do want to see how it plays though. It says plays best on iPhone 4, and I am still rocking a 3GS for a few more months.

[quote name='crunchewy']Regarding Zen Pinball. It's well done, but everything is *really* tiny on an iPhone 4. It looks good and I like that you can rotate the phone to go landscape, which makes it much more playable... until multiball starts. Then it zooms out and pretty much all I can do is just flip and hope for the best. It occurs to me that I could rotate to portrait view during multiball and that might help with that view. I haven't had a chance to try it on the iPad yet, but I'm guessing it will be a lot better on there just due to the screen size. Mind you, it's still worth playing on the iPhone and clearly they've put a lot of effort into this release. What's unclear to me is if it only uses OpenFeint for the in-game leaderboards. If so, then that sucks. I need to look at the options, though. Maybe there's a switch to set which to use?[/QUOTE]

Yes landscape mode on "view 8"' plays the best on the iphone. Its a great port and really close to the xbox live arcade. The only difference being that I can't rest my hands on the flipper "triggers". It makes timing a little more difficult for precision but not a deal breaker in the least. This is going to be one of my most played games on the phone.

And yes, openfeint for the leaderboards.

Off topic, but I added a few of you guys on XBL to have you on the leaderboards for FX2.

Picked up the new pinball game for iOS too. Sweet.

Where's My Water from Disney is the new freebie from the Facebook App Store page (same one that gave out the Jetpack Joyride codes).

I snagged about a dozen codes, send me a PM if you don't want to 'like' their page & get a code...

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Where's My Water from Disney is the new freebie from the Facebook App Store page (same one that gave out the Jetpack Joyride codes).

I snagged about a dozen codes, send me a PM if you don't want to 'like' their page & get a code...[/QUOTE]

How did you find this out? I just went to the facebook app store page and the latest post is a poll of "the hottest photo app", nothing of WMW. Either way, I would like a code please! Thanks!

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Where's My Water from Disney is the new freebie from the Facebook App Store page (same one that gave out the Jetpack Joyride codes).

I snagged about a dozen codes, send me a PM if you don't want to 'like' their page & get a code...[/QUOTE]

Really great casual game. I have enjoyed every moment with it. I have all the collectibles and three stars on all the levels except the ones they added today.

In for Where's my Water. Thanks for the heads up!

I bough Wolverine on Zen Pinball. Will buy Captain America after I give Wolverine some plays. On Sorcerer's Lair, I was #5 on GC last I checked and I actually got that on my iPhone, so I guess I'm getting use to it. Playing portrait on the iPhone gives a better view, but is uncomfortable, at least for me, so I'm playing landscape with one of the zoomed views. That goes to pot during multiball as it, out of necessity, zooms out and up, but I'm managing. Looking forward to playing it more on the iPad, though.

I don't think people should stop contributing download codes, I just think they belong in the Free Stuff section of the site. I don't really expect anyone to listen to me though. They never have before. LOL.

Pay no attention to him. Post it here. How many CAGs actually in this thread go to that thread? I sure as hell don't. And most likely won't now on purpose.

My issue with it is that you get the post of codes available, you get the posts that a code was used, you get the post that a code was used by a lurker and you get the post of somebody begging for a code because now they are all used up. Then it repeats because somebody else has more codes for the exact same thing so we do it all again. But if most people want all that here, then that's fine. I'll move on.

I am dying to get my hands on The Bard's Tale, even @ $6.99. I know I should wait though, it will most likely drop by the holidays. Glad I held out until Dark Meadow and Shadowgun dropped to .99.

[quote name='Brian234']Is this the discussion thread? Pages 231 and 232 are nothing but commentary.[/QUOTE]

Maybe we can discuss this comment...

[quote name='pROvIs']Really great casual game. I have enjoyed every moment with it. I have all the collectibles and three stars on all the levels except the ones they added today.[/QUOTE]

I paid $.99 for Where's my water when the disney sale happened. Great Puzzle game. Make the water flow to the gator for his shower.

It had parts that minded me of Pixeljunk Shooter with the different fluids and their effect on the ground.

Glad I came into this thread and saw that Where's My Water? was free. I've been meaning to get that game.

I played the crap out of Jetpack Joyride, and after I beat Scribblenauts Remix, I look forward to playing Water. :)

[quote name='zillionandnine']Glad I came into this thread and saw that Where's My Water? was free. I've been meaning to get that game.

I played the crap out of Jetpack Joyride, and after I beat Scribblenauts Remix, I look forward to playing Water. :)[/QUOTE]

where do you see free? i'm still seeing 0.99

[quote name='arcane93']For what it's worth, they seem to have fixed a lot of the problems with offline mode. I use it for those things which I know that I'm going to be listening to a lot. It's basically replaced my mp3 content, because it's so much easier to change things out (no hassle with syncing with iTunes), and there's a lot more selection than my mp3 collection.[/QUOTE]

If you are in airplane mode and you force-quit the app and then reopen it will it let you play your offline stuff? When I was using it, it would always require me to log in (which was freaking stupid since 1. i don't have my password memorized and 2. i'm usually in the car where I don't have internet).

I actually liked the service other than this. At the end of the day this was too annoying to deal with.

This isn't a deal but just throwing it out there that IGN gave Infinity Blade 2 a 10. They pretty much call it iOS's killer app and "new reigning king".

[quote name='keithp']Yes, it only lasted several hours before Apple yanked it.[/QUOTE]

Makes me wonder what the goons who do app verification on Apple's side must be doing if they let an app named "iTETHER" slip through the cracks.

How funny: I picked up Where's My Water at 4am this morning, $0.99. Same happened with Jetpack. My timing is uncanny. No biggie.
Very interested in Zen Pinball as A)I just got an iPad, and B)Those guys do great pinball.
Prarie Dog: Feel free to add me on XBLA for FX2.

Speaking of iPad games, Skillz is free today. iPad only. Seems like a cool rhythm game with a 25-song soundtrack.
http://appshopper.com/games/skillz-for-ipad

[quote name='breakingcustoms']i was really waiting for Infinity Blade 2...but definitely not $10[/QUOTE]

Who says it's $10? It's $6.99. In US dollars at least

If Infinity Blade II is $6.99, I'll pay full price for it. That's the perfect price to support developers who provide high quality iOS games. Not everything needs to be free or .99 ... that expectation will kill the iOS market. Now if it's going to be $9.99 ... then I'll wait, no need to pull a Square here and go above $10 on new releases imo.

[quote name='etcrane']If Infinity Blade II is $6.99, I'll pay full price for it. That's the perfect price to support developers who provide high quality iOS games. Not everything needs to be free or .99 ... that expectation will kill the iOS market. Now if it's going to be $9.99 ... then I'll wait, no need to pull a Square here and go above $10 on new releases imo.[/QUOTE]

It's $9.99, price was posted on websites and from the Eastern app stores.

[quote name='j0dy77']It's $9.99, price was posted on websites and from the Eastern app stores.[/QUOTE]

You do know prices vary by region, right?

It will be $6.99

Thanks for the heads up on IB2 and Black Ops Zombies. I am very tempted to buy zombies full price, it sounds great from the link^ and I can definitely wait for IB2 to drop no matter what the price is, the first was good but glad I didn't pay more than $3 for it.

The Nightworld is the new main FAAD game right now.
"Welcome to a world where sunlight is nothing but a memory, where resources are scarce, and only the cunning will survive. Emerge from the shadows and walk the wastelands as one of the last humans fighting for resources, to stay strong and most importantly to stay alive.
This is the new cycle of life… This is THE NIGHTWORLD"

Battle Bears Royale is currently being featured as the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Equip your character with a massive array of powerful and hilarious primary/secondary weapons, melee weapons and amazing power-ups as you fight it out with your friends across 4 distinct multi-level maps. Produced in partnership with Recharge Studios, BATTLE BEARS ROYALE is SkyVu's biggest game ever."

For the record, Zen Pinball is wicked fun. It's a definite must if you're at all interested in pinball on your iDevice. It's got great play mechanics even on the relatively dinky iPhone screen. I may even spring for the extra Marvel tables. A total of four bucks for three amazing tables seems plenty reasonable to me.

[quote name='Wario64']You do know prices vary by region, right?

It will be $6.99[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right. $9.99 is definitely on the high side, $6.99 I'll buy day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back