iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Assassins Creed Recollection is out too $2.99...... Been waiting for a good magic type game, bought. With buying infinity blade 2 as well do I wait on cod zombies?

[quote name='urge26']Assassins Creed Recollection is out too $2.99...... Been waiting for a good magic type game, bought. With buying infinity blade 2 as well do I wait on cod zombies?[/QUOTE]
Do you have a link to Assassins Creed Recollection?

Edit: Ahhh it's for iPad gamers only...

CoD Black Ops Zombies crashes on the first gen. iPad. At least for me, I have the current iOS update and have tried rebooting. You might want to wait.

Edit: got it to work on my wife's iPad, she is running iOS 5.0 so I think 5.0.1 is the reason it's crashing.

[quote name='donniedroc']They are...thanks for the update. Can't wait to check them both out.
Space Miner - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/space-miner/id353853276?mt=8
NinjaTown - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ninjatown-trees-of-doom!/id369997638?mt=8

So tempted by Infinity Blade II, but know it will drop eventually.[/QUOTE]

Space Miner was one of my first paid iOS games (99 cents on sale). Highly recommended, especially for free.

BTW, the reason these games are free is the launch of their new game, Book of Heroes, which is also free. Might as well get it, too.

I remain a big fan of The Bard's Tale but that was a rough around the edges game on PC/consoles. I can't imagine how it would play on Iphone.

Note you can probably get the PC version cheaper than the Iphone version. It's only $10 on Steam right now. Just food for thought.

It is basically a bog standard action RPG hack and slash, same engine as the BG: DA and Champions of Norrath games. There's very little loot grind though and level ups are spaced out.

The humor here is top notch. Most "humorous" games just pull HEY THIS IS A SIDEQUEST HOW BIZARRE OOH A SAVE POINT I'M REFERENCING MYSELF AREN'T I HILARIOUS nonsense. Bard's Tale is less a parody and more a full blown comedy. Not all of what it attempts works but I would easily say these guys watched every Mel Brooks movie and realized what a REAL parody requires rather just self-reference nonsense. They get the obligatory RPG snark out of the way right off the bat and quickly move into general purpose absurdity and funniety... funnyousness... whatever. The musical numbers are great. Cary Elwes as the Bard is fantastic and the narrator is even better. It's not an especially great game, and not one I ever want to replay, but it is definitely worth playing at least once.

By the way, don't think TOO hard about your snarky and nice choices. They ALL have in-game effects but you'll beat yourself up if you try to min-max stats or min-max funny.

EDIT: And holy carp. Dark Meadow is 1.2 gb. I don't even want to see how big Infinity Blade is. Do they think Iphone space grows on trees? I've already cut most of the fat off my device... Looks like bloated Catan or Taco Master is getting the boot next.

Why the hell do those board games come so bloated anyway?

RollingSkull, why would people want the PC version when it's more expensive and it appears this newer iPad/ iPhone version will look and play in a potentially superior manner. I can understand not wanting to play on iPhone but it looks like IPad could be superior to the older PC version.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The Nightworld is the new main FAAD game right now.
"Welcome to a world where sunlight is nothing but a memory, where resources are scarce, and only the cunning will survive. Emerge from the shadows and walk the wastelands as one of the last humans fighting for resources, to stay strong and most importantly to stay alive.
This is the new cycle of life… This is THE NIGHTWORLD"

Battle Bears Royale is currently being featured as the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Equip your character with a massive array of powerful and hilarious primary/secondary weapons, melee weapons and amazing power-ups as you fight it out with your friends across 4 distinct multi-level maps. Produced in partnership with Recharge Studios, BATTLE BEARS ROYALE is SkyVu's biggest game ever."

For the record, Zen Pinball is wicked fun. It's a definite must if you're at all interested in pinball on your iDevice. It's got great play mechanics even on the relatively dinky iPhone screen. I may even spring for the extra Marvel tables. A total of four bucks for three amazing tables seems plenty reasonable to me.[/QUOTE]

Zen Pinball is by FAR the best pinball game on any portable device. It's just superb. If you like Pinball FX 2 on the 360, get Zen Pinball.

[quote name='etcrane']RollingSkull, why would people want the PC version when it's more expensive and it appears this newer iPad/ iPhone version will look and play in a potentially superior manner. I can understand not wanting to play on iPhone but it looks like IPad could be superior to the older PC version.[/QUOTE]

How do you figure that buttonless controls are better for Bard's Tale? (Note: I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the game.)

[quote name='Vegan']How do you figure that buttonless controls are better for Bard's Tale? (Note: I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the game.)[/QUOTE]

It's a hack and slash type game, possibly like diablo if they implemented the controls correctly, so the transition to buttonless controls shouldn't be as bad as other console games. Either way, I think it might be worth picking up on ipad, but I'm thinking I might hold out for a lower price.

I just have to share a game I was playing tonight because it's awesome ... if anyone is a fan of the walking dead, you NEED this game. The graphics are crummy but it's extremely engaging as a zombie survival sim.

And look, it's a flash game, so try it here first for free - http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild-2

Then check it out on iTunes here - http://itunes.apple.com/app/rebuild/id478523928?mt=8

And read more about it on TouchArcade - http://toucharcade.com/2011/11/28/rebuild-for-ipad-2-review/

Really really awesome ... it pulled me away from Skyrim for 3 hours to finish a game

[quote name='kklems']Anyone pick up BO zombies? No reviews yet so I think I will wait.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of reviews, still wait, it crashes like crazy and there is only one map besides Black Ops Arcade.

[quote name='Stimes']There are plenty of reviews, still wait, it crashes like crazy and there is only one map besides Black Ops Arcade.[/QUOTE]

**Never mindOn Itunes it says not enough reviews to rate and no reviews for this current version. Can't link my itunes screen but here is the app store link http://itunes.apple.com/app/call-of-duty-black-ops-zombies/id471063940?mt=8***

Edit wow when I searched from an open itunes screen there was no reviews. Went to App store and that screen showed no reviews but when I clicked the app store link I saw almost 150 reviews. Weird.

[quote name='Wario64']Infinity Blade 2 is out. $6.99 like I said!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/infinity-blade-ii/id447689011?mt=8[/QUOTE]

I've paid more (sometimes twice as much) for worse XBLA titles. I also played a LOT of Infinity Blade so I didn't even second guess when buying it instantly. I'm anxious to have some time to sit down with it later.

On another note, that officially drains my account from the $150 in GC's I bought last December when they were 50% off. I'm bummed the sales on iTunes cards aren't as good this year. That was a great deal.

Can't resist. The Bard's Tale is $5.99 ($1 less than I expected). $5.99 for a 30 hour, 1.24 GB game? Sold!
I have been jonesing for a Baldur's Gate-type game on the 360 (and/or iPad 2) for a while. Decided to wait on Dungeon Siege 3 (360) for a price drop.

Also read on IGN Wireless that a Judge Dredd vs. Zombies game is suppose to be dropping to iOS today for .99 cents!?

[quote name='Cimpy101']I've paid more (sometimes twice as much) for worse XBLA titles. I also played a LOT of Infinity Blade so I didn't even second guess when buying it instantly. I'm anxious to have some time to sit down with it later.

On another note, that officially drains my account from the $150 in GC's I bought last December when they were 50% off. I'm bummed the sales on iTunes cards aren't as good this year. That was a great deal.[/QUOTE]

DON'T BUY IF YOU HAVE iPAD 1. IT IS BROKEN

[quote name='jacknicklson']Looks great but I am done supporting EA until they start using Gamecenter. Its not too much to ask[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This new Tetris ties into Origin though, which is kind of interesting.

Not a game, but Shazam (Red) is on sale today for $2. I've found plenty of artists by listening to college radio, or bars, and tagging artists with this app...it's well worth the $2 to have the bonus features and to support the company, as well as the (RED) campaign.

There's songs played on broadcast radio that you'd actually want to hear again? ;) Just kidding. :) Maybe on college radio, but I mostly listen to Indie Pop Rocks, which doesn't need Shazam to tell me what song is playing.

[quote name='etcrane']I just have to share a game I was playing tonight because it's awesome ... if anyone is a fan of the walking dead, you NEED this game. The graphics are crummy but it's extremely engaging as a zombie survival sim.

And look, it's a flash game, so try it here first for free - http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild-2

Then check it out on iTunes here - http://itunes.apple.com/app/rebuild/id478523928?mt=8

And read more about it on TouchArcade - http://toucharcade.com/2011/11/28/rebuild-for-ipad-2-review/

Really really awesome ... it pulled me away from Skyrim for 3 hours to finish a game[/QUOTE]

Hilarious. I actually just emailed my buddy in Oregon about that game just a few days back. There are some gems out there in the Flash world.

[quote name='crunchewy']There's songs played on broadcast radio that you'd actually want to hear again? ;) Just kidding. :) Maybe on college radio, but I mostly listen to Indie Pop Rocks, which doesn't need Shazam to tell me what song is playing.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I said "COLLEGE RADIO", and bars, or clubs, where DJs play real music.

Songs recently tagged in my Shazam are from these artists...

Big Troubles
House De Racket
Cut Off Your Hands
Woods
Two Door Cinema Club
Bombay Bicycle Club
The Honey Bees
Crocodiles
Guillemots

....I don't think any of those have been played on mainstream radio. By the way, SomaFM Indie Pop Rocks isn't all that great. There's better stations on iTunes for Indie/Pop Rock.

[quote name='EvilIA']Wasn't the Honey Bee's the girl band on Gilligan's island?

FAAD shows Let's Golf 3 as free.[/QUOTE]

maybe :)
I've never seen the show, but it was a 60's era song. My local college station was playing those type of songs for an hour, I need to find out if that's a regularly scheduled show.

[quote name='etcrane']RollingSkull, why would people want the PC version when it's more expensive and it appears this newer iPad/ iPhone version will look and play in a potentially superior manner. I can understand not wanting to play on iPhone but it looks like IPad could be superior to the older PC version.[/QUOTE]
Because it's probably NOT more expensive. If you did budget shopping you could probably find it cheaper or on sale very easily.

And I have absolutely no idea where you get the notion that Iphone/Ipad ports of PS2 games look or play in a superior manner. Did you miss the barely serviceable Red Star port? Plus, this Bard's Tale port was done by a third party, to boot, so it is a total wild card.

Bard's Tale is based on hacking, slashing, blocking, weapon switching, and navigating through a menu of what comes to be later about 12 or so summons to aid you in battle. You need to work these summons on the fly so you have to be able to select from these WHILE DODGING enemy attacks (While summoning, you have your lute out but not your weapons.). It's possible this will work on Idevice but just as likely it would fail. The PC version offers a higher res display and gamepad support. The PS2 and Xbox versions are also viable options.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Because it's probably NOT more expensive. If you did budget shopping you could probably find it cheaper or on sale very easily.

And I have absolutely no idea where you get the notion that Iphone/Ipad ports of PS2 games look or play in a superior manner. Did you miss the barely serviceable Red Star port? Plus, this Bard's Tale port was done by a third party, to boot, so it is a total wild card.

Bard's Tale is based on hacking, slashing, blocking, weapon switching, and navigating through a menu of what comes to be later about 12 or so summons to aid you in battle. You need to work these summons on the fly so you have to be able to select from these WHILE DODGING enemy attacks (While summoning, you have your lute out but not your weapons.). It's possible this will work on Idevice but just as likely it would fail. The PC version offers a higher res display and gamepad support. The PS2 and Xbox versions are also viable options.[/QUOTE]

I thought this was the iOS forum, not the old PC games forum ;-p

^awsome! shift 2 has been on my wish list since release, would of paid a dollar for it. Also in for sims medieval and maybe the new tetris since EA has just hooked me up. Thanks guys.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Sims Medieval is free.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for the tip, as well as whoever back there posted the link to the free "Where's My Water?" Both are great games I've been considering buying and now don't have to. :p

[quote name='guessed']http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-sims-medieval/id451858886?mt=8

Edit:
Shift 2 Unleashed and Shift 2 Unleashed for iPad are also free.[/QUOTE]

Wait, free ios games from EA? Ok, that's ALMOST forgivable for stunts like no universal apps and the whole Tetris "T-Club" thing. Actually, no it doesn't but a free game is a free game. Just wish the Sims titles were for iPad as well.

Also EA has a page devoted to its ios/android "daily deals" at eamobile.com/dailydeals with new deals hitting a 9 a.m. PST so I imagine we may get a few more free games out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back