iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guardkitty']Grr looks like the website (definetheshift) so i guess my chances of getting the gc are low now, I filled out the survey on sat[/QUOTE]

I guess you are talking about it being down. Oh well, I didn't get mine, but at least the thread will go back to being about games!

I got Alive 4-Ever at the 99 cent price, and it is so worth it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']guys, don't do the "free" upgrade. I have something cheaper and just as good i did myself. PM me.

no jailbreaking or hacking shit either. all legit.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Just google for the leaked direct link to the firmware.

It should be all over the tech sites.

[quote name='DietPoopSoda'] I got Alive 4-Ever at the 99 cent price, and it is so worth it.[/QUOTE]
So so very worth it. Excellent game - my only complaint is I strongly dislike the top-down angle instead of the more like 45 degree angle of others in the genre (Minigore, iDracula) as it makes it very hard to distinguish trees from bushes in the second 10 levels which can lead to getting caught in some very tricky situations where the character (and the enemies attacking) can't be seen.

[quote name='iowaholdem']So so very worth it. Excellent game - my only complaint is I strongly dislike the top-down angle instead of the more like 45 degree angle of others in the genre (Minigore, iDracula) as it makes it very hard to distinguish trees from bushes in the second 10 levels which can lead to getting caught in some very tricky situations where the character (and the enemies attacking) can't be seen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, a more isometric view would have been better, but it's art style is pretty cool. Looks like a painting.

As a matter of fact, I just realized that almost every game that I really love on the iPhone has stats/weapons that upgrade the more that you play (Inkvaders, Alive 4-Ever, AlienInvader, Heavy Mach, etc).

Ynth is on sale for $0.99 (Lite)
I saw it previously and it looked interesting so I bit, it's a nice little puzzle game so far. Youtube video pretty accurately determined interest for me at least.

[Youtube]OByWpa0dEcY[/Youtube]

via TA

I wish Konami and Capcom would take a look at Alive 4-ever and make some top-down versions of Silent Hill and Resident Evil. I would have liked to see some exploration, puzzles, and ... a flashlight. :lol: Considering I hate these type of games, Minigore and 7DA, I had a lot of fun with A4e. For awhile I really thought you needed more than one player to get the challenge on Alive? But I finally got it alone, that would have pissed me off it needed multiplayer to be completed.

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']wth right? i just bought mr. driller. my wife's gonna kill me with these dollar games :lol:

enigmo 2 is out with a 2.99 tag (25% off)[/QUOTE]

Is Kristen saying "cork the bitch"?

[quote name='jcp42877']Is Kristen saying "cork the bitch"?[/QUOTE]

I just can't get into her at all now.. she just anoyus me after she was in that movie I forget the name of... the one in hawaii.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I just can't get into her at all now.. she just anoyus me after she was in that movie I forget the name of... the one in hawaii.[/QUOTE]

'Forgetting Sarah Marshall'.

Is Need for Speed's new price $4.99 or is that a temporary price drop? I'd really like to snag the game at $2.99 or less, if that'd ever happen.

Come mid-September and the release of the 3G iPod touch, I'll need to decide which of my try-before-buying *ahem* games I'll be purchasing on the not Jailbroken iPod. I've bought all but a small handful of the games I've played.

So far the must purchase list includes the following:

Ragdoll Blaster ($2)
Wolfenstein RPG ($3)

With a strong desire to buy the following at the right price:

Need for Speed Underground ($5, magic number $3)
Tiger Woods 10 ($5, magic number $3)

[quote name='ccohen322']modern combat sandstorm is out = 6.99
basically COD4 on your iphone[/QUOTE]Got any impressions on the game? I'd really like to know how it controls.

Hey, all - just want to let you know that Self Aware Games' second game, Word Ace, is now available for the iPhone! It's a combination of Hold 'Em and Scrabble, with online multiplayer, friend lists, awards, all that jazz. It's the first-ever multiplayer cross-platform game for both the iPhone and the Palm Pre.

I hope you get a chance to check it out.

The price? Oh, a Cheap Ass Gamer's favorite price: $0. And that's not a "free version" of the game - it's the whole damn thing.

If you love the game, and want to drop a couple bucks our way, Word Ace Pro will be out on the 8th, with the ability to do in-app purchases for additional chips. That'll run a buck, 'cause Apple won't let you do in-app purchases on free games, but we'll give you 12,000 chips for your trouble, so it oughtta all even out.

Thanks!
seppo

I was intrigued, but it's missing a link
Word Ace

Not terribly interested in online play, but I'll match wits with the offline practice mode and report back.

EDIT: Not usually a fan of timed word games, but this really is a fresh take and looks to be very well implemented. Surprising even me, another word game has earned a place on my iPod.

Last edited by a moderator:
An app that I had direct involvement with is available for free for a brief amount of time. It's not a game, and something that much of this audience probably wont have much interest in, but perhaps some of you will find it useful :)

It's the American Greetings ecard app. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

[quote name='DtotheP']Resident Evil 4 & Megaman 2 are both on sale for $2.99 through 9/7. Kenken is on sale for $.99 (not showing up yet though).[/QUOTE]

Might I recommend Latkin instead of KenKen? Same game with a better interface and practically infinite puzzles. It's $1.99 but compared to KenKen's typical $4.99, it's a bargain. Also there's a free trial.

Word Ace is, indeed, ace—I checked it out and, well, it's certainly worth free. :) I might even kick a few bucks the developers' way, since they've made it a point to really make the experience a "pay what you want" kind of affair. It's also got cross-platform play between iPhones and Palm Pres, plus you can text-chat with people, add friends to a roster and even swap friend codes with other people and host private games. I'm not a big Texas Hold 'Em fan, but I do love word games, and this has me hooked.

[quote name='daminion']An app that I had direct involvement with is available for free for a brief amount of time. It's not a game, and something that much of this audience probably wont have much interest in, but perhaps some of you will find it useful :)

It's the American Greetings ecard app. Give it a try and let me know what you think.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind me asking what do you think of developing for the iphone for a platform as opposed to typical pc/server/embedded systems?

I wish every game had a flip screen option. When the phone is held with the home button to the right I always end up covering the speaker with my hand....when the home button is to the left the speaker remains unobstructed...this bothers the shit out of me

Just played through a bit of Modern Combat. Pretty decent for a FPS on the iphone. I would suggest waiting for a price drop though.

I also got Melon Golf and think it is pretty damn good

[quote name='grrouchie']megaman 2 still showing up at 4.99 for me, not 2.99...[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the free lite version? Everyone I know agrees with me in that the controls are so terrible it's not worth any amount of money, but you should check it out yourself before splurging.

[quote name='mykevermin']EDIT: How long has Resident Evil 4 been on sale for $2.99?[/QUOTE]Since September 2nd or 3rd, not very long.

[quote name='Felder71']Might I recommend Latkin instead of KenKen? Same game with a better interface and practically infinite puzzles. It's $1.99 but compared to KenKen's typical $4.99, it's a bargain. Also there's a free trial.[/QUOTE]I agree with this 100%. I absolutely adore Latkin.

[quote name='BlueScrote']If you don't mind me asking what do you think of developing for the iphone for a platform as opposed to typical pc/server/embedded systems?[/QUOTE]

Not sure how much insight on this you'll get from me as I'm no longer a developer -- on this app I was on the business side and contributed mainly to the content direction, interface design, and technical architecture. Our app still takes advantage of the server farm we have in place to run our ecard brands, and we built it in a way that we can push content updates out to it on a frequent basis without requiring a new app download.

So for us, the app is really a glorified XML reader and some AG brand content.

[quote name='Malik112099']I also got Melon Golf and think it is pretty damn good[/QUOTE]

Seconded, Melon Golf is a pretty cool physics game.
Not an intro sale or anything as far as I can tell, but I'd say it would be unlikely for it to turn free so $0.99 would be as good as it gets.

I agree that Melon Golf is pretty fun for the $1. However, I do have some real issues with it.

1. On levels like "slippery slope" on the first course, if you don't get over that last hill and the melon slides back down into the valley, you could be waiting 2-3 minutes for the melon to finally come to a stop since there is very little friction there and you have to painfully watch it slowly slide back and forth. I'd think the developers could add a check that if the melon slides over the same part 2-3 times that it would automatically place the next shot at the lowest point of the valley.

2. Damn some of those stars are insanely difficult to get.

3. The default camera should be the expert setting.

That's all.

Sightpoint is free. Looks like a new game. It's kind of a puzzler with an interesting concept with an awesome look. Gameplay might get old after a while but free is free. Family friendly.

[quote name='Malik112099']grabbed puzzlegeddon but i wont be able to try it out until work tonight[/QUOTE]

tried it out..super mediocre..i would HIGHLY suggest Chop Sushi over this game. Chop Sushi was pure addiction the moment i started playing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back