iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see anything to export but it could be that you need to install a desktop client or something like that. If you're not terribly serious about production etc, just having the app to tool around with is enough I think, especially at this ridiculously low price for it

Just get a line out cable and have your computer record it.

As cool as this thing is there isn't a lot of room to do stuff and you need fingernail precision when you have to use your fingertips. I hate that you can't move blocks of notes around in the pianoroll.

And I have a ton of questions about the program and those youtube videos aren't that much help.

Can't buy 8Bitone. Every time I try, it tells me it's being modified. They are probably raising the proce back up. That isn't right. If they have a program advertised at a price, you should be able to buy it period.

[quote name='cycophuk']Can't buy 8Bitone. Every time I try, it tells me it's being modified. They are probably raising the proce back up. That isn't right. If they have a program advertised at a price, you should be able to buy it period.[/QUOTE]

I got in an argument with an Apple rep about that a few weeks ago, but I finally just gave up because I wasn't getting anywhere -- they just kept repeating back a line about how "prices are set by the developer". Bullshit -- brick and mortar stores legally have to sell goods at the marked price, so Apple should have to also. I'm considering filing complaints with the FTC and/or BBB. It's probably also a class action suit waiting to happen, if anyone wants to go to the effort of taking it up.

You can move blocks of notes in 8bitone, just hold the shift button and draw a box around the notes you want to move.

Also, that message about "this item is being modified" comes up when they're changing an app's sale price back to regular price. That's the only time I see that message and I just checked the app store and 8bitone is back up to $6.99. It's really annoying that the app shows things at prices you can no longer buy it for. Also, it's aggravating that you can't add purchased apps to a cart or something to be downloaded later, for those situations when an app goes on sale but it exceeds the 10MB limit and you're not going to be near a desktop for a while. You'll totally miss out on the deal.

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']Almost 100% sure that the music used by the app is from Chrono Trigger. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Woah, just realized I am a CAG veteran. What constitutes that?[/QUOTE]
...er, if you look, he went into the music to set it to play chrono trigger music before launching the game...for some odd reason

[quote name='Spoit']...er, if you look, he went into the music to set it to play chrono trigger music before launching the game...for some odd reason[/QUOTE]

You are right! That's pretty weird. I guess that means that there is no sound in the app?

I have yet to download it. I don't have my iPod right now.

The game supports playing music from your "iPod" as you're playing. And yes, it does have its own music. It's a mix of house/pop/techno.

Just found out that Fieldrunners on the PSP will sport 2 new levels (Frostbite and Skyway), but in order to play them on the iPhone, they'll cost a cool $0.99 each. I have to admit, I'm not impressed with SubAtomic Studio's choice to charge for map packs, but in order to get back into Fieldrunners once I've got my new iPod touch, I'll buy the maps when I'm bored with my other games.

[quote name='arcane93']I got in an argument with an Apple rep about that a few weeks ago, but I finally just gave up because I wasn't getting anywhere -- they just kept repeating back a line about how "prices are set by the developer". Bullshit -- brick and mortar stores legally have to sell goods at the marked price, so Apple should have to also. I'm considering filing complaints with the FTC and/or BBB. It's probably also a class action suit waiting to happen, if anyone wants to go to the effort of taking it up.[/QUOTE]
The App store isn't a B & M store. Alot of stores have their policy to where if they make a mistake on pricing, they can cancel the order. I don't see why one would waste their time in trying to get an App a couple bucks cheaper. Just suck it up and wait for the next sale. I think you would have a case if you purchased it for .99 and you were billed 2.99 (or whatever the original price was).

[quote name='snakelda']The App store isn't a B & M store. Alot of stores have their policy to where if they make a mistake on pricing, they can cancel the order. I don't see why one would waste their time in trying to get an App a couple bucks cheaper. Just suck it up and wait for the next sale. I think you would have a case if you purchased it for .99 and you were billed 2.99 (or whatever the original price was).[/QUOTE]

The point is that it's not a "pricing mistake", it's a distinct and repeated flaw in their process which they're refusing to fix or even acknowledge as an issue. It happens, as far as I can tell, every time the price changes on an app -- the app continues to be listed at the "old" price for some period of time (frequently several hours), but they refuse to actually sell it at that price during that time. I've run up against it several times now, even in my reasonably limited app purchases, and I've seen a number of reports from others of the same problem.

If it happened once or twice randomly due to an error, it wouldn't be a big deal. Shit happens. The fact that it happens repeatedly, though, is a much bigger issue.

would that also benefit you when the price goes up...the price lag?

I was at a candy store this weekend. Some people wanted to buy some Halloween version of some specific type of candy and the lady refused to sell them.

[quote name='usickenme']would that also benefit you when the price goes up...the price lag?

I was at a candy store this weekend. Some people wanted to buy some Halloween version of some specific type of candy and the lady refused to sell them.[/QUOTE]

"Someone broke street date on the candy corn. CALL IN THE LAWYERS."

[quote name='usickenme']would that also benefit you when the price goes up...the price lag?[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's exactly where the problem is -- when the price goes up, it continues to show the old lower price in the app store for several hours, but they won't sell it at that price. Instead, if you try to purchase the app, they display a message which says "This application is currently being modified. Please try again later." That message continues to appear until the new, higher price takes effect.

If they don't want to sell it at the lower price, they need to have the price update right away (really, why is there such a long delay on a price update anyway?), or they need to list it as being unavailable during the time it takes the update to happen. Showing a price, making it look like the app is available for sale at that price, but then refusing to sell it after the customer has taken the initial steps to purchase it isn't ok.

[quote name='Tybee']"Someone broke street date on the candy corn. CALL IN THE LAWYERS."[/QUOTE]

Haha, I didn't say that I was interested in doing anything like that -- just noting that they've probably opened themselves up to that with their current practices.

I missed out on Comic Reader Mobi for $4.99 because I got the App Shopper notice at 6AM while the app was "being modified." The price went back up to $14.99 at that point.

I'm with you in that the system should be automatically updated. I find it hard to believe that pricing couldn't be immediately (or quickly) reflected when the developer requests a change.

[quote name='TheRock88']Anyone get that $10 itunes card yet from that contest a week ago?[/QUOTE]
nope

I have no doubt we will all be seeing some junk mail in our futures though

Looking for some opinions, really loved Defender Chronicles, tried some top 10 other tower defense games (lite versions) but none really grabbed me. How do people feel about Rise of Lost Empires (I know it's not a tower defense game). I enjoyed the Lite version. It's .99c too as well. I did read reviews on iTunes, but prefer CAG's opinions rather than Joe Bag of Doughnuts on iTunes. Thanks!

Oh, and no $10 gift card for me either. Typical.

[quote name='LuisRM']Looking for some opinions, really loved Defender Chronicles, tried some top 10 other tower defense games (lite versions) but none really grabbed me. How do people feel about Rise of Lost Empires (I know it's not a tower defense game). I enjoyed the Lite version. It's .99c too as well. I did read reviews on iTunes, but prefer CAG's opinions rather than Joe Bag of Doughnuts on iTunes. Thanks!

Oh, and no $10 gift card for me either. Typical.[/QUOTE]

I like field runners... if you haven't tried that one yet.

[quote name='LuisRM']Looking for some opinions, really loved Defender Chronicles, tried some top 10 other tower defense games (lite versions) but none really grabbed me. How do people feel about Rise of Lost Empires (I know it's not a tower defense game). I enjoyed the Lite version. It's .99c too as well. I did read reviews on iTunes, but prefer CAG's opinions rather than Joe Bag of Doughnuts on iTunes. Thanks!

Oh, and no $10 gift card for me either. Typical.[/QUOTE]

I put about an hour into Rise of Lost Empires on a plane trip recently. Thought it was pretty entertaining. It's less complex than Warcraft II, but has a similar feel. Things did tend to get a bit hectic when you have to control multiple groups of troops, and I did get some slowdown on my 3GS during one map, but for .99, I already got my money's worth.

[quote name='arcane93']Actually, that's exactly where the problem is -- when the price goes up, it continues to show the old lower price in the app store for several hours, but they won't sell it at that price. Instead, if you try to purchase the app, they display a message which says "This application is currently being modified. Please try again later." That message continues to appear until the new, higher price takes effect.

If they don't want to sell it at the lower price, they need to have the price update right away (really, why is there such a long delay on a price update anyway?), or they need to list it as being unavailable during the time it takes the update to happen. Showing a price, making it look like the app is available for sale at that price, but then refusing to sell it after the customer has taken the initial steps to purchase it isn't ok.

Haha, I didn't say that I was interested in doing anything like that -- just noting that they've probably opened themselves up to that with their current practices.[/QUOTE]

This is a crazy argument. They are under NO obligation to sell you ANYTHING, let alone for a specified price. As someone said earlier, if you bought it when it showed the lower price and they charged you for the higher price and never gave you a refund, you'd have a great class action case...but that's not what is happening.

Would it be more convenient if they updated the price sooner? Of course, but I don't see what the point of making a big deal about it is.

Now, off to buy more sale apps...

As most of you know, I'm sure, Apple had their annual September iPod/iTunes refresh reveal today. Unfortunately, what was missing was a 3G iPod touch. Rumor is, there was a production problem with the new touches, so Apple was forced to pull the announcement and push back the launch date. The touch did get a very large price drop, along with larger capacity (8 GB = 199, 32 GB = 299, 64 GB = 399).

I can honestly say that I'm very disappointed with the results of today's announcements. I was really looking forward to throwing more money at Apple for a new iPod touch with a video camera, but alas, I can't. Hopefully the 3G will be released soon, but I wouldn't expect it before January/February.

[quote name='iowaholdem']As most of you know, I'm sure, Apple had their annual September iPod/iTunes refresh reveal today. Unfortunately, what was missing was a 3G iPod touch. Rumor is, there was a production problem with the new touches, so Apple was forced to pull the announcement and push back the launch date. The touch did get a very large price drop, along with larger capacity (8 GB = 199, 32 GB = 299, 64 GB = 399).

I can honestly say that I'm very disappointed with the results of today's announcements. I was really looking forward to throwing more money at Apple for a new iPod touch with a video camera, but alas, I can't. Hopefully the 3G will be released soon, but I wouldn't expect it before January/February.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to mention the fact that the 32GB and 64GB Touch models are getting a faster processor as well, probably similar to the iPhone 3GS processor.

[quote name='iowaholdem'] I can honestly say that I'm very disappointed with the results of today's announcements.[/QUOTE]

I'm happy to see them finally integrate some form of app management into iTunes, but I feel like even that was only half done. Why do we still not have any kind of folder support or some other way to actually organize our apps? For a company that's so focused on the design aspects of of their products otherwise, they've sure dropped the ball with the iPhone user interface.

[quote name='manthing']You forgot to mention the fact that the 32GB and 64GB Touch models are getting a faster processor as well, probably similar to the iPhone 3GS processor.[/QUOTE]That's true, the new iPod touches do sport a faster processor (as in iPhone 3Gs), but it doesn't feature any other of the rumored upgrades (camera, mic, FM receiver). So that's disappointing, but I assume it was production problems, not necessarily Apple being lazy.

EDIT: Is anyone with a Jailbroken iPod/iPhone able to use the app organization? It doesn't show up in my install of iTunes 9, so I'm assuming that's the issue. If that's the case, I'll happily restore my iPod with a fresh 3.1.1 and give up my small handful of Installous'd apps.

[quote name='arcane93']I'm happy to see them finally integrate some form of app management into iTunes, but I feel like even that was only half done. Why do we still not have any kind of folder support or some other way to actually organize our apps? For a company that's so focused on the design aspects of of their products otherwise, they've sure dropped the ball with the iPhone user interface.[/QUOTE]

iTunes has simply never been upgraded to handle the iPhone, plain and simple. It's got the lamest set of phone management tools available...it's just lame. That is my biggest disappointment with the iPhone.

Total sidetrack here. Does anyone know how to find out how many and what apps you've downloaded with your iphone/touch? Aside from the invoices that iTunes sends you. I've deleted a bunch off my phone and itunes and was curious. Thanks!

Pretty cool looking Diner Dash-esque game called Cock-a-Doodle Inc is 75% off, at 99 cents.

Also, anyone update to iTunes 9 yet?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']yeah.[/QUOTE]

Well, I hit UPDATE to 3.1.1 and it failed. Now I have a Touch in RESTORE mode....which I cannot seem to fix.

I downloaded the 3.0 update from a google link around two weeks ago. I updated for free today even though I got a pirated 3.0 update. I recently got a Mac and I got to say, I can't believe I didn't get one sooner!I use iTunes as my main media player and it runs flawless and so does quicktime to watch music videos.

I would not recommend updating to iTunes 9--not yet. I used to be able to run ITunes fine in the background, y'know, surfing the web while listening to tunes. Now every time I click on a web page, iTunes skips some of the song.

It *never* did that before.

[quote name='LuisRM']Total sidetrack here. Does anyone know how to find out how many and what apps you've downloaded with your iphone/touch? Aside from the invoices that iTunes sends you. I've deleted a bunch off my phone and itunes and was curious. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Go to the Store menu, select View my account, click on view past purchases.

I have a 1st gen ipod touch thats still on 1.3 jailbreaked with lots of apps, if i update the software will i have to rejailbreak and download all my apps over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back