iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FurryCurry']Except I don't get pro controls exactly.[/QUOTE]

I agree, pro controls are a bit odd. Anyone know what the hats do?

Good job on #1 Kingfalcon. :applause: I though 15 was decent, until i got bumped off a few hours later.

Thanks for all the Hook Champ recommendations; I went ahead and bought it (but haven't played yet).

Pretty stoked about Rock Band, but I wish it wasn't $10.... I'm going to try to exercise patience and wait for a sale.

just purchased Robocalypse which is my first purchase on itunes. games is great. i wanted to know since we have an ipod touch.iphone games on sale. do we have a post that shows free or on sales movies and tv shows for iphone/ipod touch. that would be great :)

[quote name='FurryCurry']Except I don't get pro controls exactly.[/QUOTE]
They added the "casual" controls late in the game after they decided to not make the game, and I quote from the devs, "The God Hand of grappling games." Which probably means it's only their choice because they were used to it first. The "casual" controls are superior in most every way.

[quote name='RollingSkull']They added the "casual" controls late in the game after they decided to not make the game, and I quote from the devs, "The God Hand of grappling games." Which probably means it's only their choice because they were used to it first. The "casual" controls are superior in most every way.[/QUOTE]

That is an awesome quote from the devs. Downloaded Hook Champ last night but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I'm holding out on a sale on Dungeon Hunters (and rock band), though I'm not too hopeful.

I saw that Office Max was running a deal this week that if you purchased two $50 Visa Gift cards, you could get a $15 Itunes card free. Anyone know what the fees are when you purchase Visa gift cards? I was thinking of buying them just to get the $15 Itunes card (probably to pick up Dungeon Hunters among other things) if the fees aren't that high.

EDIT: Went to the store even after calling to confirm the amount of the fee (which they said was $3.95), and it turns out it's $4.95 per $50 card (which is ridiculous). I went ahead and did it just because I was there and buying other items anyway. So basically, the deal is $9.90 for $15 in iTunes credit. Not great, but better than no discount at all. Then, of course, just remember to use your $100 in Visa cards for your everyday purchases.

[quote name='BlueScrote']That is an awesome quote from the devs. Downloaded Hook Champ last night but haven't had a chance to play it yet.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was a retarded quote, but still a good game though.

Rock Band is WAAAY better than I could have imagined it would be on a phone but I have a few issues with it...

The loading screen - wish to god it was animated...makes me feel like the phone is freezing up sometimes

Multiplayer - having the option of some sort of multiplayer is nice but for most people bluetooth only is pretty pointless

Screen orientation - seriously, how is there not a fucking landscape option!?!? My hands arent gigantic but I am having CONSTANT issues with hittng notes right next to each other with my thumbs. If there was some sort of landscape mode which spread the tap areas out it would be MUCH easier and most likely much more comfortable to hit the notes and play the game

Vocals - pretty lame overall. Instead of using the mic to sing you just use your left thumb to tap on one of 4 buttons where the pitch of the vocals are. like a shitty sideways one note at a time instrument

other than that I am very impressed overall with the game

I'll wait and hope there is a price drop for Rock Band. I might have to bit before that.
One Question: Do you have to switch between instruments like you do in the psp version. That Killed the game for me...

[quote name='DetroitRon']I'll wait and hope there is a price drop for Rock Band. I might have to bit before that.
One Question: Do you have to switch between instruments like you do in the psp version. That Killed the game for me...[/QUOTE]

you choose the instrument you want to play and then the difficulty just like the console version. No switching between during play

[quote name='Red Hedgehog']For anyone who has played both, how does Rock Band compare with Tap Tap Revenge?[/QUOTE]

Rock Band is by far the best music game ive played on the iphone

[quote name='outphase']Not a deal, but there is a Freezepop 2-pack on the RB store for free.[/QUOTE]

Oh hell, now I'll have to buy it. Damn you, EA!

Damn, I think I missed $0.99 Hook Champ. It showed $2.99 in App store, but $0.99 on its page. Tried to download, and got the dreaded "modified" pop-up.
I snoozed. And thus, I loozed. ;)

I've played Hook Champ a bunch this morning. Definitely a fun game and I like the retro style, although it's gotten pretty hard for me (in the 4th map). I'm a lightweight. :) Glad I got in on the 99 cent sale, though I'd be shocked if it didn't drop to 99 cents again in the near future. It doesn't strike me as a title that's going to be able to sustain that $2.99 price tag for very long, not in the crazy App Store market.

[quote name='crunchewy']I've played Hook Champ a bunch this morning. Definitely a fun game and I like the retro style, although it's gotten pretty hard for me (in the 4th map). I'm a lightweight. :) Glad I got in on the 99 cent sale, though I'd be shocked if it didn't drop to 99 cents again in the near future. It doesn't strike me as a title that's going to be able to sustain that $2.99 price tag for very long, not in the crazy App Store market.[/QUOTE]

The frog level was tough, the gold Bull run level kicked my ass for a while. But the fun still is being able to upgrade your items and go for high-scores.

[quote name='DtotheP']Dexter the Game is on sale for $1.99[/QUOTE]

Wow. That was quick. Definately may bite on that one. Have only watched a few episodes (and have been meaning to rent to catch up on the whole series) but the game sounds good.

[quote name='crazy blain']I got it. It's not that great.[/QUOTE]

It's not for everyone. I'm a fan of the old pitfall games this reminds me a little of that (but a bit harder at least in having to keep a quick pace). For $.99 it was worth it to me.

Glad to see Dexter drop. Now only if Dungeon Hunter would have a sale and I'd be a happy camper!

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the store is like in rock band(selection, price)... Wanna pick it up but it's hard for me to justify $9.99 for anything on my iPod.

Hook champ was great until the frog level 3 (4th map). Then it got frustratingly difficult and, as a result, not much fun. I'm just about ready to delete it, but admittedly haven't done so yet.

[quote name='Bronson-Lee']WHAT:bomb::bomb:

Not fair, not fair at all!

instabuy.[/QUOTE]
Dexter it is! Downloading now.

Was also going to get Canabalt (no, it's not on sale), but surprised that I have to upgrade to 3.1 first...

EDIT:
I tried to upgrade, and basically F'd my iPhone. It's not connecting to iTunes anymore because it needs to be restored. I don't want to restore, and lose all contacts and stuff -- especially because I have no way to back it up.
Any good advice?
EDIT x2:
Had to restore everything. Sync only kept about 2/3 of all my apps, but could be worse. Re-downloading them now. Thankfully, a lot of save states were carried over (like my 4-star+ for every city in Textropolis).

[quote name='Mixer236']Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the store is like in rock band(selection, price)... Wanna pick it up but it's hard for me to justify $9.99 for anything on my iPod.[/QUOTE]

This is the store. Not very much on it right now. The Freezepop pack that shows as installed was free. I'm pretty sure the rest of the 2-song packs are $.99.

itN46.jpg

I wish they would just sell the individual tracks for 99 cents instead of combining two together for $1.99, when often you may just want one of the two.

[quote name='crunchewy']I wish they would just sell the individual tracks for 99 cents instead of combining two together for $1.99, when often you may just want one of the two.[/QUOTE]

The track packs are 99 cents for BOTH

I know Rock Band is great and all. But to me, it has and always will be a console game. It just isn't the same rocking it out on a little iPod (or a PSP/DS for that matter). I'll stick with the TapTap games if I want something a little similar, but even though $9.99 is a bargain compared to other versions. Still a no-go for me. Yes, I come to this forum because I am, in fact, cheap.

Not a slam to those that do enjoy it. Just never understood handheld Rock Band / Guitar Hero games. The point is to feel like you are playing in a band, right? And instruments that sort of seem like instruments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back