iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iowaholdem']Get excited! Two popular apps have been updated![/QUOTE]

I just saw that Rolando was updated also with 5 new secret levels. It seems that the 1% games get better and the other 99% keep pushing out crapware.

[quote name='paddlefoot']No it isn't on sale, but it needs to be mentioned and I don't know where else to put it.

Metal Gear Solid Touch is on the store for $7.99[/quote]Thanks for mentioning it because I just bought it!:bouncy:

1. is the contacts stored on itunes?

2. If you restore there's a feature that will put the "backup" stuff back on like how you had it before you jailbroke. I'm assuming it also includes contacts? I'm not sure since I haven't used it

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Off Topic, but does anyone know how to backup your contacts before jailbreaking the iPhone? then restore the contacts after it's jailbroken?[/quote]

I would go to a forum dedicated to jailbreaking iphones for that.

[quote name='martint84']To anyone that got Metal Gear Solid, what are your thoughts?[/quote]Meh... mediocre from someone that couldn't care less about Metal Gear Solid. It looks really good and loads quickly, but the sound isn't all that excellent, nor is the gameplay. It's a lot like old static shooters. Characters will just slide out from behind jeeps, buildings etc in a pattern and you have to shoot them before they shoot you. Through the second act of the game (about 15 minutes of gameplay) there were only ever 2 maybe 3 enemies on the screen at once.

One strong point (potentially) about the game is the story telling. Like I said, I couldn't care less about MGS, but there does seem to be quite a bit of story which I haven't read.

Controls work ok. You slide your finger around the screen to move your crosshairs and tap to shoot. Tapping to shoot is a little awkward in itself, too, as when you take your finger off the screen, Snake takes cover, so when you're rapid firing (touch, don't touch, touch, don't touch), Snake does this little seizure of a dance for each shot fired. For the most part, the controls all work, but if you have to go from one edge of the screen to the other, you'll have to pick up your finger to get the crosshair all the way over.

So final thoughts? Eh. It's skippable at $7.99. Though I'm sure plenty of MGS fans will thoroughly enjoy it.

[quote name='seanr1221']For some reason I thought there was a warning before you purchase an app. Did I imagine this?[/quote]

I'm allllmost postive that there is (at least for non-free aps; I don't want to swear until I buy something to check), so assuming there is - you can permanently turn them off by clicking a box on the window, and you can turn them back on by going to your itunes profile (click on your login in the top right) and click on "Reset Warnings" to turn them all back on

And thanks to whoever pointed out Fieldrunners the other day, for $3 it's been well worth it :)

Since iDracula jumped in price (deservedly, in my opinion) to $2.99, it's been falling ungracefully from the top ten. As such, it was announced that iDracula Lite (Free) will be released sometime next week. The catch? iDracula Lite will feature stronger enemies and more limited ammo - so you'll get all the iDracula experience but without a chance in hell of surviving! It actually sounds like a nice challenge!

Hopefully those of you that missed out on iDracula when it was $0.99 and are weary of the $2.99 pricetag (don't be, uncle iowaholdem says it'll be ok) can get a little taste of iDracula next week!

Source: http://toucharcade.com/2009/03/20/idracula-lite-coming-soon-from-chillingo/

Those PDAMill's games don't look that great, but for free, why not! I downloaded several of them. Thanks for the tip!

I'm having a lot of fun with Hex A Hop. It's a fun puzzle game but my main beef is the controls aren't precise and the ad on the left is always there. I don't mind ads on free apps, but there are better ways to implement them. Still, the scope is pretty huge (I think there are 100 levels) and adds different things to the puzzles as you progress. I'm surprised the creator isn't charging for it.

Metal Gear Touch's cut scenes are 10 times better than MGS4's. That's about it though. Pretty repetitive game as far as gameplay.

I reccommend Time Crisis over this.

For those that are into TD, Besiegement dropped to $0.99.
Don't be put off by the screen shots. It's got great gameplay.

Some feedback on recent purchases:

Oregon Trail is decently fun and a solid overall title. Still I think at $5.99 its priced a little high, and I honestly don't see it lasting more then two play thrus.

Fieldrunners at $2.99 is a great deal. Game is a lot of fun and definitely worth it.

Supermarket Mania is a blast to play. Easy pick up and play with lots of polish. Only 0.99 and well worth it, provided you can get over the chic oriented style.

Just grabbed GI Joyride for .99, but haven't had time to really play it. Looks like a lot of fun tho. Will try to post some impressions later.

Even though it's not a game-Wunder Radio is awesome. It's $5.99 and you can get almost any radio station in the world.

Wolfenstein is up ... not on sale but pretty fun for 4.99. Source code and game is free if you have an unlocked iphone ... I was happy to pay for a classic though.

[quote name='etcrane']Wolfenstein is up ... not on sale but pretty fun for 4.99. Source code and game is free if you have an unlocked iphone ... I was happy to pay for a classic though.[/quote]

I cannot wait to get home and download this. I remember playing this on my old windows 95/98 and I had to boot it up threw ms-dos. ah the old days of awsome games.

Just a follow up on Wolfenstein 3D ... played it a bit last night and it's a great port from what I can tell ... by far it's the smoothest free control FPS I've played on the iphone. The graphics look sharp and the interface actually isn't too cluttered, as the controls are best used by just smoothly rolling your finger over them rather than tapping. I'd say if you have a way to pick this up, free or for $5 do so, as I'm looking forward to one of the first iphone games that's truly a full game (PC game that is) that will last for a good amount of time.

I agree, it's a phenomenal port; I'm still debating which control scheme I prefer (I actually think what I really want isn't one of the four options - I like the strafing on the left side, but I'd prefer shoot on the bottom right and tilt to turn), but the game itself is very solid

Space Deadbeef and iHandy Level are both free if it hasn't already been mentioned.

SDB is a side scrolling shooter

iHandy Level is a leveling tool. Kinda pointless but it could be useful

Falling Balls is a fun game thats free as well

Galcon is on sale for a buck. If you don't have it, go buy it now.

EDIT: Thanks, I grabbed JPNFRKXYPAK9. I'll write a review later.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Galcon is on sale for a buck. If you don't have it, go buy it now.
[/quote]

Thanks, been wanting to pick it up.

Thanks for the code for Captured. I used T3RP9ME73XXT and am downloading it now. I'll play it a bit on the bus to campus and write a review in the next couple of days once I've had some good time with it!

I hope the game does well! :)

[quote name='pete5883']I didn't realize it was OK to reuse the sprites from Advance Wars.[/quote]

Haha I didn't notice it until you stated that. Copyright infringement? If you are blatantly making money from this game (which you are by charging $.99 a pop), get ready to be an easy target to get your ass sued (not just cease and desist).

[quote name='bassec']Haha I didn't notice it until you stated that. Copyright infringement? If you are blatantly making money from this game (which you are by charging $.99 a pop), get ready to be an easy target to get your ass sued (not just cease and desist).[/quote]

my reply from another forum:
----
i modified the sprites that were listed as public domain at:
http://www.panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=603&theme=3

I never played advance wars so i didn't know but I'll be making an update to remove the sprites in the app. Besides the soldier, I only used the sprites sparingly.

----

this kinda sucks.

So my girlfriend has an iPhone now, and whenever she's busy, I snatch that shit up and fuck around with here lil apps or play Skeeball.

What games would you guys recommend that she can pick up cheap? Just a couple suggestions would be great; it would save me from sifting through the 20 pages

I don't think it's on sale but Eliss is really fun and only about $5. It's a little bit like Knots (which is free), but there's more depth to it. Great use of multitouch, as well.

[quote name='lolwut?']So my girlfriend has an iPhone now, and whenever she's busy, I snatch that shit up and fuck around with here lil apps or play Skeeball.

What games would you guys recommend that she can pick up cheap? Just a couple suggestions would be great; it would save me from sifting through the 20 pages[/quote]iDracula ($2.99) is an awesome survival adventure game that is well worth the money.

Zen Bound ($4.99) is a very serene game with excellent music and very creative game play. It's also *very* highly acclaimed.

Pocket God ($0.99) is a fun little app (not a game) in which you can mess with the lives of little islanders by dumping them into the ocean, flicking them in to a volcano, striking them with lighting or whipping them around in a hurricane. Really pretty entertaining (and not gory or actually violent at all), and with weekly updates adding new gameplay mechanics, it's always fun to pick up.

Let's Golf ($5.99) is a really cartoony fun golf game with good controls, visuals and gameplay.

Oregon Trail ($5.99) is the classic remade with update graphics and new mini games. If you're from the original Oregon Trail era, it's definitely worth a look.

Is that enough? If I were you, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to get iDracula and Pocket God on her iPhone.

[quote name='nodoubt']my reply from another forum:
----
i modified the sprites that were listed as public domain at:
http://www.panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=603&theme=3

I never played advance wars so i didn't know but I'll be making an update to remove the sprites in the app. Besides the soldier, I only used the sprites sparingly.

----

this kinda sucks.[/quote]

If my eyes don't deceive me, they do a play on words as "Pubic Domain, not PubLic Domain."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back