iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='doubledown']hotrocks still seems to have some....although, i did not get my code yet (just sent a few minutes ago though...haha).[/quote]

Just got mine from Hotrocks about 30 minutes ago. Very honest and came through. Great deal!! Too bad its only 1 per customer...

:bouncy:THANKS HOTROCKS:bouncy:

Can someone clue me in on this hotrocks deal? Where are you guys contacting him at? I am definitely interested in a deal on an itunes card.

[quote name='Tybee']I got a $50 one for $35 from him last night (guess I should have bargained harder, per jcp42877). He gave me a couple codes that didn't work, but then sent me a third that did.

Not sure where he's getting them, but I'm taking a don't ask, don't tell stance on this one. :cool:[/QUOTE]

The "scam" with these things, and while i can't be sure hotrocks has done this, is that they are purchased with stolen credit cards. So, first of all, by buying these you are giving direct economic incentive for the stealing of credit cards - I hope that doesn't come back to bite you or someone you know some day. Secondly, if the person the card is stolen from reports the card as stolen, you could end up having your iTunes account closed and losing all the credit you got from the card(s). It appears that Apple often will just take the credit away from you and let you keep your account, but not always, and in case you will lose your money.

This is not theoretical, this has happened and will happen again. So... you pays your money, you takes your chances... plus you are likely promoting criminal activity. Note that I said "likely", I didn't say "definitely". I suppose it is theoretically possible that hotrocks is getting these cards from a legitimate source, but I have to say that I doubt it.

Fastlane Street Racing is down to $1.99 from $4.99. I played the Lite version before and thought it was a very solid game. It's probably a good download at that price.

[quote name='cheapbastard']sf4 handbook is out for free on the app store. Nice app that features all the moves and unlockables right on ur iphone:)[/quote]

Thanks dude, this will be a purchase first thing when I get home.

[quote name='crunchewy']The "scam" with these things, and while i can't be sure hotrocks has done this, is that they are purchased with stolen credit cards. So, first of all, by buying these you are giving direct economic incentive for the stealing of credit cards - I hope that doesn't come back to bite you or someone you know some day. Secondly, if the person the card is stolen from reports the card as stolen, you could end up having your iTunes account closed and losing all the credit you got from the card(s). It appears that Apple often will just take the credit away from you and let you keep your account, but not always, and in case you will lose your money.

This is not theoretical, this has happened and will happen again. So... you pays your money, you takes your chances... plus you are likely promoting criminal activity. Note that I said "likely", I didn't say "definitely". I suppose it is theoretically possible that hotrocks is getting these cards from a legitimate source, but I have to say that I doubt it.[/quote]

Thanks, and noted for the future. I checked his iTrader rating and saw he was an active CAG and made the assumption that he was dealing on the level, which he very well may be. Guess there really is no such thing as a free (or, in this case, $35) lunch.

And while I, thankfully, have not had my CC stolen, my wife has lost her debit card twice and both times people went on sprees with it (though the bank credited the money back immediately). The thing is, they did stupid shit, like using it a gas station, where they can link the receipt time with security cameras, and, especially brilliant, USED IT TO PAY THEIR CELL PHONE BILLS. Not exactly hard to track them down. :roll:

well i dont really want my name associated with stealing credits if you dont mind. I was getting these from an internet-friend's game site, which was in a starting-out phase. after reading this stuff I asked him how he was getting it, upon which he said he bought them in bulk from an online store. So maybe like 6 degrees back it was stolen or something? but im not stealing cc's. just to clear things up

I just seen all this talk, and was going to say that a lot of people get cards from online referral sites as well and then sell for profit.

You don't buy iTunes cards in bulk for so little that you can sell them at 50% off and make a profit. And in fact if hotrocks bought them from someone else who bought them from someone else, then back there they had to be selling at even less then 50%. The only explanation is that they were originally purchased via stolen credit cards or other illegal means and then sold at a ridiculous price to get them out of the crooks hands fast. I'm confident that these were not originally from a legitimate source now. Hotrocks I think was duped too, and probably your friend, but next time consider the "too good to be true" rule.

EDIT: all is not doom and gloom for those who bought these. I'm aware of this stuff because, and you probably guessed it, I bought one a while back on eBay. I then learned of the scheme and talked with dome folks who's accounts were closed as a result. However, nothing ever happened to my account and it's since all been spent, but I'm not going to do it again. So, hopefully those that got these will be fine and wiser for it. If you look at the eBay sellers you'll see that they are all in other countries, commonly Russia. They also all have relatively new eBay accounts - they pop up, sell for a while then disappear before anyone gets bitten. Odds are that the online seller of the cards was one of these folks.

[quote name='107proof']Yeah, I just hope we the buyers don't end up getting screwed and our accounts locked.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that.

My account's been disabled. MOTHER fuckER. :bomb: Let this serve as a warning to others. Contacting Apple now to see what they say. If there is any suspicion of fraud, I'll happily tell them to yank that $50 out of my account. And if hotrocks' impassioned protests as to his innocence in this forum are in fact true, I will expect him to do the honorable thing and refund my money.

I have no qualms about reporting him to Cheapy, Apple, and PayPal for fraud if it comes to that.

[quote name='Tybee']Funny you should mention that.

My account's been disabled. MOTHER fuckER. :bomb: Let this serve as a warning to others. Contacting Apple now to see what they say. If there is any suspicion of fraud, I'll happily tell them to yank that $50 out of my account. And if hotrocks' impassioned protests as to his innocence in this forum are in fact true, I will expect him to do the honorable thing and refund my money.

I have no qualms about reporting him to Cheapy, Apple, and PayPal for fraud if it comes to that.[/quote]

Oh man sorry to hear that. Keep us updated on what happens. And I was just about to buy a gift card myself...:hot:

Which racing game is probably best? Asphalt 4, Fast & Furious Pink Slips, or the Fast and Furious game (new one)

and anyone heard or like that game 1112 Episode 1?

Been plying around with idracula lite and the game seems good but just really hard. Anyone download the full version and have any thoughts ?

[quote name='ivanctorres']Been plying around with idracula lite and the game seems good but just really hard. Anyone download the full version and have any thoughts ?[/QUOTE]

I had fun with it before the update. I really only tried the new modes briefly, but they all seem fun.

The new modes don't bring much to the game. If you feel the $2.99 is worth an expanded (but not deeper) version, then purchase away.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Been plying around with idracula lite and the game seems good but just really hard. Anyone download the full version and have any thoughts ?[/quote]Apparently iDracula Lite is very different from iDracula. In iDracula Lite, you're given a limited amount of ammo and health, and the enemies won't be dropping any more of either. So it plays much more like a strategy game in that you need to consider what enemies you're facing and when/how to kill them.

iDracula, on the other hand, is the opposite. You start with a handgun and eventually enemies drop more guns, ammo and health. So the strategy of the retail game is more about emptying every bit of ammo into the enemies and to keep restocking.

For what it's worth, iDracula at $2.99 is my absolute favorite game on the iPhone, and if you enjoy iDracula Lite, you'll definitely find value in the paid app.

Battle Dot is interesting and free for a limited time.
Diet word Pop is also free and looks like a decent word puzzle game.

Last day (April 5) to get Rasta Monkey on sale for .99 cents. The reviews mentioned 2 bucks regular and previously being .99 before.

It's a simplistic fun platformer. Swing monkey around tree branches to collect various fruits and dodge enemies. Haven't gotten far myself being at level 3, but read complaints that it's too short (so you know ahead of time). Faux stilted language may or may not offend you.

But, an update is due soon that adds more levels, etc. What I look forward to most in the upcoming version is being able to keep the arrow guide turned ON for the entire game. I suck at physics and can't time mid-spin releases to get from A to B without that nice pointy helper that was first seen in level

Update 4/7: Finished the game. Damn, those 10 levels went quick. Got used to the swing mechanics. It was mostly fun. Cheapshot bosses at the end were annoying since you can't jump out of the way with defensive moves. I want those additional levels now! Still 99 cents.

[quote name='Malik112099']Flight Control is pretty damn good and I think it is still 99 cents[/QUOTE]

ill 2nd flight control for 99¢. its a great game for the price.

I just got an iPod Touch, and I'm interested in a couple of the Konami games, i.e. MGS: Touch and DDR: Shake. They're pretty new though... how long does it take for something to go on sale? ;_; (If ever.)

games go on sale when they initially go on the store to help promote the game, or a month or two after release usually. it doesnt really take long for a game to go on sale. just need to be patient and attentive to the app store or to this thread.

Glyder by Glu released yesterday at an introductory price of 1.99. It's a fantastic game, and well worth the price of admission.

There are no enemies to shoot, no bosses to kill. You just fly around wonderfully detailed environments (for the iphone, at least) and collect crystals. There are achievements in place, and time trials are there if you want to do them, but neither are required. Everyone says it's reminiscent of Pilotwings.

For those of you who lost your accounts, I would email Apple and explain the situation. They usually re-instate accounts provided you give them the details of what happened and give them a few days to escalate it to their support staff. Don't go thru iTunes or the message forums, use one of the two emails below instead.

Yes Steve's name is on these, but it is not checked by him, instead by high level support staff & customer relations reps.

[email protected]
[email protected]

I hope I get my account re-activated. I wonder if they will take the $50 out of my account. I wonder if I can open a dispute with PayPal against Hotrocks.

UPDATE: Hotrock is being friendly, so that is a good sign at least.

[quote name='zohar']I just got an iPod Touch, and I'm interested in a couple of the Konami games, i.e. MGS: Touch and DDR: Shake. They're pretty new though... how long does it take for something to go on sale? ;_; (If ever.)[/QUOTE]

I honestly doubt the Konami games will ever go on sale. Silent Hill was their first release and I havent seen that go on sale. I would really like to see a sale on DDR or MGS but like I said it's very unlikely.

I picked up a three pack of itunes gcs for $25 at BB. Rather go legit than run the risk of being banned.

I thought about buying the BB sale pack, but it would mean loaning Apple money until they decide to get rid of the app limitation. Will they?

Hate having to delete apps and weighing worth when there is so much space left that can't be used for more games.

[quote name='Hibiwa']I thought about buying the BB sale pack, but it would mean loaning Apple money until they decide to get rid of the app limitation. Will they?
Hate having to delete apps and weighing worth when there is so much space left that can't be used for more games.[/quote]

Wait a sec, there's a limit of how many Apps i can have on my PC (iTunes)?
I was aware of the limit of App pages i can have on my iPod Touch but never knew there's a limit on the PC as well.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']ill 2nd flight control for 99¢. its a great game for the price.[/quote]

Same here, great game.
Also get that $2 Airport Mania game, it's a lot of fun.

Not really a "CAG" price, and maybe not a band y'all like, but Tap Tap Coldplay was released the 2nd for $4.99.

Includes 10 songs:
Yellow
Shiver
In My Place
Life in Technicolor ii
Speed of Sound
Fix You
Viva La Vida
Viva La Vida (White Duke Remix)
Lovers in Japan
Clocks

I was siked to see this game in the App Store. It's a great game, especially if you like the original Tap Tap & Tap Tap 2.

It adds whole new visuals and atmosphere while you're playing, a great buy if you're a fan.

[quote name='doubledown']I hope I get my account re-activated. I wonder if they will take the $50 out of my account. I wonder if I can open a dispute with PayPal against Hotrocks.

UPDATE: Hotrock is being friendly, so that is a good sign at least.[/quote]

Apple re-enabled my account this morning (took about 4 days from contacting customer service to get it re-activated, and they sent me a status update once a day), but only after removing the $50 from my account, saying that it came from a fraudulent code.

I won't hazard a guess as to whether or not Hotrocks was similarly duped, or just got caught trying to pull a fast one, but he is taking responsibility for the situation and has promised to refund my money. So that counts for something. I'll let you know when I receive it.

[quote name='Marat']Wait a sec, there's a limit of how many Apps i can have on my PC (iTunes)?
I was aware of the limit of App pages i can have on my iPod Touch but never knew there's a limit on the PC as well.[/quote]

Not that I know of, but I was referring to the page/app limit on the Touch itself. I buy from the App Store app so it's annoying that it can't be loaded up with just games when I don't spend on iTunes' digital music and video.

My iPod Touch serves mainly as a very convenient and portable internet browser and gaming device. Whatever music I like gets converted from CDs I own. Only videos I have on it is one ep of Supernatural that I missed when it aired (and had to watch) and Dr. Horrible when it couldn't be purchased anywhere else.

Apple just needs to release an update to allow more apps. Then, I'll be more than happy to load up my account for impulse buying and save some bucks to offset the stupid sales tax on downloaded software.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Not that I know of, but I was referring to the page/app limit on the Touch itself. I buy from the App Store app so it's annoying that it can't be loaded up with just games when I don't spend on iTunes' digital music and video.

My iPod Touch serves mainly as a very convenient and portable internet browser and gaming device. Whatever music I like gets converted from CDs I own. Only videos I have on it is one ep of Supernatural that I missed when it aired (and had to watch) and Dr. Horrible when it couldn't be purchased anywhere else.

Apple just needs to release an update to allow more apps. Then, I'll be more than happy to load up my account for impulse buying and save some bucks to offset the stupid sales tax on downloaded software.[/quote]

Supposedly the 3.0 update will add at least a few more pages for apps, though I think we're getting to the point where we need a better organizational system.

That'd be nice. Flicking through nine pages can be dizzying. Hope they don't charge for 3.0 as a major update though.

eta: crap. I googled and it looks like they're going to tack on a $9.95 price for Touch users. Free for iPhone. Grrrr. Maybe I should go buy the three pack LOL. That sucks. Better be worth $10.

Here's a youtube clip of the Apple presentation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DBX-GeLceE

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back