iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darkrage'] Frontrunners is great and its cheap now at $2.99. [/quote]

Do you mean Fieldrunners?

Also, check out the Creeps and Elemental TD for TD games, both are top notch.

I picked up Wolf 3D, and it is fun to pass the time on quick subway rides and such. Worth the $1.99 sale.

[quote name='iowaholdem']To anyone with geoDefense, don't update to 1.2. Something is wrong with the update and it won't let you play the game after updating.[/QUOTE]

This is true. It may only affect iPod touch users, but I'm not sure. There is a way around the problem, but doing this will result in losing all your data for the game! So only do this if you don't care about your scores and such. What you do is delete the application from your iPod. Now, install the Lite version of the game. Then re-download and install the full version of the game (it won't cost you anything if you have previously purchased it.) The install will now work. You can then delete the Lite version. Again, doing this means LOSING YOUR DATA FOR THE GAME!!!!!

Otherwise, just wait for a fixed version to be released.

[quote name='iowaholdem']To anyone with geoDefense, don't update to 1.2. Something is wrong with the update and it won't let you play the game after updating.[/QUOTE]

Too late I'm FUBARed. I suspected a problem when my update wasn't installing correctly. Way to fuck a perfectly good game.

Just picked up Wolf3d. I never played the openGL version, which is what this version is based on, but it looks really nice compared to the original (much less pixelated). There's no Use button anymore, and the controls are a bit iffy (first game I've played with a on-screen dpad), but it is still quite fun

The controls in Wolf 3d are better than the pc version for me. they're customizable so there should be a set of controls that appeal to you.

Thanks for the heads-up about MGS Touch lite. I tried it out and it's surprisingly good. Reminds me of Virtua Cop meets Silent Scope. Pinching to go into sniper mode works well and it's somehow very satisfying having to switch in and out of it when a bunch of enemies pop up.

I'll probably get the full version soon, but not right away since I'm still playing Flight Control. (Anyone over 190 yet?)

[quote name='metaly']I'll probably get the full version soon, but not right away since I'm still playing Flight Control. (Anyone over 190 yet?)[/quote]Over 190?! Good lord! My high is only 36!

Not really a deal but Myst came out at $5.99.
It's the full game, and the size is huge: 727mb :shock:.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Flight Control best is 97, and come close to beating that a couple times. I cannot even conceive of anything over 125. Would be cool if you could unlock another runway or something.

[quote name='Tybee']My Flight Control best is 97, and come close to beating that a couple times. I cannot even conceive of anything over 125. Would be cool if you could unlock another runway or something.[/quote]New runways/aircrafts/levels (or some combination thereof) will be coming with FlightControl 1.2.

[quote name='danny8k']Not really a deal but Myst came out at $5.99.
It's the full game, and the size is huge: 727mb :shock:.[/quote]

Awesome, I bought it this morning. I don't use my 16GB iPhone for music, so I've got plenty of room for this.

[quote name='craven_fiend']My highest on Flight Control, so far, is 49. 190 seems extremely insane.[/quote]

309 :)

photouiw.jpg

Anyone get the new MGS Touch update? Version 2.1.0 added 15 new wallpapers. However a lot of them are marked as "unknown" in the shop... anyone figure out how to unlock them? I suspect you have to clear Survival or something, which I still haven't done...

[quote name='KiySeph']Awesome, I bought it this morning. I don't use my 16GB iPhone for music, so I've got plenty of room for this.[/quote]

I have about 13GB of music on my iphone and I rarely listen to it, for some reason I listen to a lot of audio books on it tho. I use my ipod nano for music and podcasts. I am going to have to delete at least half of my music because I am running out of space for all these games and apps.

we seriously need an iPod Touch/Iphone section on the forums where we can discuss all this. I hope Cheapy is reading this ^^

[quote name='danny8k']we seriously need an iPod Touch/Iphone section on the forums where we can discuss all this. I hope Cheapy is reading this ^^[/quote]

Agreed. The "other gaming" section just isn't cutting it... :( This thread gets more daily replies than that entire forum, lol.

This new game called WWII Alone was shown on the frontpage of TA, looks really cool. Like a touch version of Nam 75, and only .99. Gonna grab it now and check it out.

[quote name='gunstar808']This new game called WWII Alone was shown on the frontpage of TA, looks really cool. Like a touch version of Nam 75, and only .99. Gonna grab it now and check it out.[/quote]Cool. Let us know what you think. The writeup on toucharcade piqued my interest.

EA's Pandemonium (port of the PS1 game) has dropped to $2.99. I have it and like it. It controls well and is pretty fun. Not earth shattering, but worth the price, I think.

[quote name='Master Shake']Car Jack Streets and Underworlds dropped to $3 for a limited time. I just bought both of them.[/QUOTE]

How are they? $1.99 seems to be my new price point.

Plus one vote for an iPhone forum here. To discuss new releases as well as deals. I come to this thread exclusivley for what's apps to be looking at. I feel like there's so many good thoughts coming out of this thread that it truly needs to be split into a forum.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Cool. Let us know what you think. The writeup on toucharcade piqued my interest.[/QUOTE]

I bought it a couple days ago. I really like it, it's a tough game, but the graphics are nice and the gameplay is fun. Well worth a buck.

Flick NBA Basketball and Galaxy on Fire 3d are both on sale for 2.99.

+1 agree that a separate mobile forum might be helpful. this thread has grown...

btw, slightly off-topic any1 can recommend an online site that sells itunes gift cards? or would Apple itself be the best place to order? i plan to get one for my bro.

[quote name='Master Shake']Car Jack Streets and Underworlds dropped to $3 for a limited time. I just bought both of them.[/QUOTE]

Which is better? I only have $4.50 left in my itunes. I'm really leaning toward underworlds.

[quote name='danny8k']we seriously need an iPod Touch/Iphone section on the forums where we can discuss all this. I hope Cheapy is reading this ^^[/quote]

This already came up before, and I'm pretty sure he said no.

[quote name='zohar']Why?[/quote]

He didn't feel it was warranted. I have to agree since it would either be one thread or a bunch of threads for each app that pops up which would be a ton by the end of the week.

Either way, I suggest an Apple dedicated forum for this anyway. The community already exists and probably has a good way of handling app talk.

if you liked the pc version of pocket tanks, they have it on the iphone now!! they have a free lite version and full version for 4.99 i think. the free one is good enough for me as of now. just a heads up :)

[quote name='soccerstud652']How are they? $1.99 seems to be my new price point.[/quote]

That was what I was beginning to think but I am sticking to .99 cents. It seems a lot of the apps and games go on sale for .99 cents at least once so I have no trouble waiting for them to go on sale.

Top Gun is pretty damn fun and the framerate is excellent. Also, cops and robbers is really good! It is just different from most of the other games and is easy to play along with having pretty decent graphics.

im not sure if anyone added wolfenstein 3d. price is sitting at 1.99 for a limited time. i already picked it up. excellent game.

[quote name='projectionist']Metal Gear Solid LITE is on sale for free.[/quote]

lol i would not say metal gear solid touch lite is on sale if it's free...but oh well.:applause:

[quote name='Malik112099']Top Gun is pretty damn fun and the framerate is excellent. Also, cops and robbers is really good! It is just different from most of the other games and is easy to play along with having pretty decent graphics.[/quote]
Thanks for the review. I was wondering whether it was worth $2. Might have to bite now.:D

For those of you who are waiting on a price drop with certain titles, you need to visit AppShopper.

In addition to RSS feeds for new free and paid titles, you can subscribe to their price changes feed to be notified of any price changes.

If you're interested in only a certain few games (or apps), each app has its own RSS feed on the top right of the app page. I've been able to save a good bit this way, and hope others can put it to use as well.

Or for those on the go, use the free iPhone app Bargain Bin which will show all price drops on the App Store.

I picked up EA's Tiger Woods 10 and Need for Speed Underground.

Tiger Woods 10 looks and plays great. The swipe controls work well, and aiming the ball is much more intuitive than Let's Golf. The game itself is pretty easy from the few rounds I've played (averaging a little worse than birdie golf with my created character). I'll definitely be playing a lot more of this game. It has a lot of depth and will be one that I pick up for the occasional round for a long time to come.

Need for Speed Underground is a gorgeous looking game with good music and high production. Controls are simple: auto accelerate, tilt to steer, tap to break, swipe up for nitro, swipe down for speed breaker. I'm really happy to see that the framerate also holds up very well considering how beautiful the game looks. Unlike TW10, though, I don't think NFSU will have quite the legs in the long run. It's not open world or free roam at all. The game drops you right in to very specific races (timed, versus, or cop smashing) which are enjoyable, but not quite what fans of NFS Most Wanted would have hoped for.

Overall, I think TW10 is worth the price of admissionat $9.99, though NFSU will be a bit harder sell at that price, but might be worth it if you accept it's not free roam and are OK with that.

Just a heads up but Galaxy on Fire is on sale atm for $2.99. Its a steal if your into the Wing Commander/Freespace style of games. :D

Most of the bugs and quirks seem to have been ironed out in the 1st update as I don't seem to have any of the issues from 1.0. Pretty much you fly around in a sandbox galaxy pew pewing for cash to buy new ships and weapons. There is also a minor trade element in the game where certain trade goods are worth more at different tech level stations but its not a huge part of the game.

Tiger Woods is pretty freaking addictive. I've only played it a couple of days now, but the courses are good, control system is great, and is able to be stopped/picked up where you left off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back