iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Milkyman']shouldn't it be on the developer to keep their apps/games up to date? they've had beta 3.0 out for a while so devs can get ready.[/QUOTE]

no cause its listed on the app's page what OS its made for

So far all of the apps I've tried are working fine with 3.0. I'm thinking this issue is overblown. If you do have an app doesn't work then the developer needs to fix it - you should email them about it. This isn't any different then a computer OS update.

I have been playing a ton of the lite versions of Drop7 and puzzle prism. Any one have any opinions if the full versions are worthwhile?

I have to recommend Amateur Surgeon from [adult swim].This game is just plain fun and creative. It's on sale for 2.99 right now,so get it before it goes up to what ever the price is usually.

[quote name='daruler022']I have to recommend Amateur Surgeon from [adult swim].This game is just plain fun and creative. It's on sale for 2.99 right now,so get it before it goes up to what ever the price is usually.[/QUOTE]

That is a fun game. but, it's been $2.99 for over a month so I don't think the price is going back up.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I have been playing a ton of the lite versions of Drop7 and puzzle prism. Any one have any opinions if the full versions are worthwhile?[/QUOTE]

IMO, drop7 is the best game on the iphone and worth every penny. I have been playing it near non-stop for 2 months, and it continues to be fantastic, especially hardcore mode.

games I would have paid more for -

UniWar - unreal it's only 99cents
Peggle - got it at 99cents but would have paid the $5
Pocket Gold - (not pocket god) again 99cents and worth a bit more for what you get.
Harbor Master - yes a Flight Control rip off but has that extra "cargo feature that makes it cool

This is a bit off-topic...but what the hell.

Any recommendations for great tower defense games on the iPhone? Just got my phone this weekend, and really jonesing for some TD action.

A friend pointed out the free tapdefense, which is just OK (but totally worth the download).

[quote name='roland13x']This is a bit off-topic...but what the hell.

Any recommendations for great tower defense games on the iPhone? Just got my phone this weekend, and really jonesing for some TD action.

A friend pointed out the free tapdefense, which is just OK (but totally worth the download).[/QUOTE]

Defender Chronicles! It's an absolute blast. It's a fixed path tower defense with a bit of RPG flavoring. Your "hero" can level up and obtain items. It's great.

Also plan on picking up the creeps and of course fieldrunners if you like tower defense.

Gatcha~

I hope to pick up an iphone soon. Total newb question. Are there a lot of free games? Browsing through here I see games talked about on sale for $1 or whatever and some game names thrown out as good but no price. Didn't know if that was cause they are free.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I hope to pick up an iphone soon. Total newb question. Are there a lot of free games? Browsing through here I see games talked about on sale for $1 or whatever and some game names thrown out as good but no price. Didn't know if that was cause they are free.[/QUOTE]
Most of the free games are trials.

A friend pointed out the free tapdefense, which is just OK (but totally worth the download).[/QUOTE]

There are a ton of great TD games:

The Creeps (large number of maps and great art style)
Zombie Attack! (Only one map but worth 99cents for the gameplay style)
Dungeon Defense (Placing monsters rather than turrets. Hard mode is HARD)
Field Runners (build your own maze)

I haven't played it but I hear GeoDefense is pretty good.

Ahoy, all! I know this is like the antithesis of CAG, but I wanted to let you know that Taxiball's going up to $2.99 TONIGHT at midnight PST (plus a few hours so the price propagates through Apple's system...).

Now - look - you all know that it'll be back down to 99 cents eventually. We'll almost certainly drop the price when the 1.1 update is finally approved (it's been held up at Apple for a really long time). So you don't *have* to get it now if you're willing to wait. But if you want it now, and you want it cheap, please get it tonight!

Cheers!
seppo

[quote name='helava']Ahoy, all! I know this is like the antithesis of CAG, but I wanted to let you know that Taxiball's going up to $2.99 TONIGHT at midnight PST (plus a few hours so the price propagates through Apple's system...).

Now - look - you all know that it'll be back down to 99 cents eventually. We'll almost certainly drop the price when the 1.1 update is finally approved (it's been held up at Apple for a really long time). So you don't *have* to get it now if you're willing to wait. But if you want it now, and you want it cheap, please get it tonight!

Cheers!
seppo[/QUOTE]

Telling us when the price will go up so we still have a chance to get it cheap isn't the antithesis of CAG at all. Thanks for the info. I will wait, since I still don't have a device to play it on, and since you stated that it'll probably be cheap again when the update gets approved (maybe I'll have an iPhone then).

I have 4:

The Creeps
7CitiesTD
TapDefense
Fieldrunners

That would be the order I'd rank them. Fieldrunners is very popular, but I didn't love it. The Creeps is definitely my favorite.

Any recommendations of where to find a 3GS now? The local ATT store says they don't know when they'll get more. Don't know if checking Best Buy would give me a better chance.

[quote name='OuTrAgE']I have 4:

The Creeps
7CitiesTD
TapDefense
Fieldrunners

That would be the order I'd rank them. Fieldrunners is very popular, but I didn't love it. The Creeps is definitely my favorite.[/QUOTE]

I'd say:
1.) The Creeps - charming style, and a couple nice mechanics that make it stand out.
2.) Fieldrunners
3.) GeoDefense - maybe I suck, but this game got really, really hard really, really fast.
10+.) Star Defense - While the 3D graphics are nice, and the spherical planets are an interesting idea, for me, Star Defense takes an bone-stock Tower Defense game and makes it worse in almost every way. You can't see the whole field, so it's more difficult to strategize, the 3D graphics cause the iPhone to drop a lot of frames, and certain enemies are completely invulnerable to certain towers, so 30 waves into a game, you'll get a wave of enemies that you had no idea were coming and if you were short on Tower X, you're instantly dead. It's very pretty, and the Plus+ connectivity is pretty darned excellent - but in every way that matters *as a game*, it's worse than any other TD game I've played. :(

That said, I'm just sort of burned out on TD games in general, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. The Creeps, though, lovely even still.

seppo

star defense is a great defense game. To be honest, it makes me a little dizzy. I also like Sentinel. It's got a few different features (subtle but I likes).

I'm really glad CSI miami and a couple game show like games were on sale... I finally get justice shades on my ipod. Oh, and hurray for rolando cards!

Thanks to all for the TD recommendations. I think I've purchased 4 or 5, and will check out the lite versions of the others. Good stuff here.

And you're all right, Creeps is a total no-brainer.

Thanks again!

The Creeps! is a GREAT TD game. And for only $0.99 its a steal!! worth WAY WAY more!!! ALSO, GeoDefense is great as well, a bit harder but an awesome game. Start with the creeps, work your way up to GeoDefense. Sentinal is a cool TD game as well. Got it when it was on sale. Dont knwo what the price is now.

I find myself going back and playing The Creeps More and More... so definitely get that one.

just got lilt line... it's great. I recommend it if ur into REZ or any crazy music/other genre games.

Looking for more stuff I want, but I'm mainly eyeng touchgrind, mini gore (when it's released), and maybe sims 3... is sims 3 worth the price?

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Any recommendations of where to find a 3GS now? The local ATT store says they don't know when they'll get more. Don't know if checking Best Buy would give me a better chance.[/QUOTE]
You could always order it online from the Apple store. If you don't mind waiting for shipping that is.

[quote name='helava']Ahoy, all! I know this is like the antithesis of CAG, but I wanted to let you know that Taxiball's going up to $2.99 TONIGHT at midnight PST (plus a few hours so the price propagates through Apple's system...).

Cheers!
seppo[/QUOTE]

Hope people got it at the old price. Well worth it. Very fun little game.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']is sims 3 worth the price?[/QUOTE]

While it's a worthy version of the Sims gameplay, I grew impatient by the frequent load times.

See, what DesertEagle said is interesting. With the 3Gs, loading is barely an issue. I have a feeling with some games you're going to see a big difference in the reviews. Some will say they're fine, others will mention slow down and load times.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']is there a dedicated thread for iPhone game discussion besides this thread? I'd like discussing the games rather than just talk prices.[/QUOTE]

Good question. And a good idea. Probably not enough interest for a sub-forum, but there has to be enough for a thread. I guess Other Gaming is where it'd fit, but General Gaming as a forum gets a lot more people.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Isn't this another one of those pathetic "if you didn't sit and camp out you're sol"? lol[/QUOTE]

Not this time. You can still order them online from apple. Shipping is shown as 2-4 days. So there is a slight delay, but not a big one.

I've never bought a "real" cell phone/smartphone before, due to the high cost of the services (I've got a $100 *per year* pay-as-you-go phone), but I'm considering it this time. The 3G S just looks sooo nice. I think it's going to put me over the edge soon.

Personally, I'm enjoying ME Galaxy but I love the universe the story is set in. TouchArcade's main gripe seems to be that MEG doesn't have much value for someone who's not played ME or invested in that universe. I can see that. That being said I've played worse games and paid more for them. IMHO, too many people are somehow expecting MEG to be like ME. How the hell is that supposed to be possible? We're paying $5 for a game on a phone. You should only expect so much out it.

[quote name='wubb']Good question. And a good idea. Probably not enough interest for a sub-forum, but there has to be enough for a thread. I guess Other Gaming is where it'd fit, but General Gaming as a forum gets a lot more people.[/QUOTE]

I don't like directing people away, but try the forums at touch arcade.

[quote name='crunchewy']Not this time. You can still order them online from apple. Shipping is shown as 2-4 days. So there is a slight delay, but not a big one.

I've never bought a "real" cell phone/smartphone before, due to the high cost of the services (I've got a $100 *per year* pay-as-you-go phone), but I'm considering it this time. The 3G S just looks sooo nice. I think it's going to put me over the edge soon.[/QUOTE]

It is, indeed, nice. I kinda dislike Apple, specifically because of the cultlike following and the douches that use it as a status symbol (like people who buy a BMW cause it makes them look rich, and don't appreciate shit about the car). That said, I like my iPhone, as I finally caved on Friday. It lacks a bit in the Phone category, but is wonderful in everything else (fucking missing flash support in safari? WTF?) with a few minor annoyances. Bluetooth controls are friggin buried in the menus...

To anyone looking for one - according to an AT&T wireless DM, They will have restocks in-stores on Thursday. It won't be a full restock, but they should have them, and some stores at the discretion of the managers have a pre-order. You'll have to check your local area...

And for the love of all that is sane, order your stuff from Monoprice (screen protection, cables, cases) in advance and don't buy it at the store.

[quote name='Vader582']Personally, I'm enjoying ME Galaxy but I love the universe the story is set in. TouchArcade's main gripe seems to be that MEG doesn't have much value for someone who's not played ME or invested in that universe. I can see that. That being said I've played worse games and paid more for them. IMHO, too many people are somehow expecting MEG to be like ME. How the hell is that supposed to be possible? We're paying $5 for a game on a phone. You should only expect so much out it.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to checkk on this game! Downloading now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back