iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like this thread, everyone posts good recommendations. gonna download about 5-6 apps here in the next few mins probably =)
151l1259.jpg

[quote name='donburns99']
421643.png
Not exactly a game, but My Stuff is finally on sale again at 40% off, from $5 to $3.

Good for organizing game and movie collections. ^ ^[/QUOTE]

You're a bastard ;)

I am not sure if I will ever use this app, but it appears well made and I couldn't resist.

It might be one of those apps that sounds awesome in theory, but then you never use and you're not sure why

Civilization Revolution for iPhone is out now and there's a free lite version also. I played the lite version for a bit this morning and really enjoyed it. The full game is $5, so I'll wait for a sale.

Also, I'm straddling the on/off-topic line here, but Revision 3 (Diggnation, Totally Rad Show, etc.) has a new phone devoted to reviewing iPhone, Android, and Blackberry phone apps. First episode covers Twitter clients. Just figured I'd pass it along; I'm sure they'll touch on games from time to time.

http://revision3.com/appjudgment

Just a heads up about Defender Chronicles, it requires iPhone OS 3.0. So if you bought it and refuse to update (like me, because half the features should have been in the OS already) you won't be able to play the game.

[quote name='Final Starman']Just a heads up about Defender Chronicles, it requires iPhone OS 3.0. So if you bought it and refuse to update (like me, because half the features should have been in the OS already) you won't be able to play the game.[/QUOTE]

good to know, thanks!

[quote name='Final Starman']Just a heads up about Defender Chronicles, it requires iPhone OS 3.0. So if you bought it and refuse to update (like me, because half the features should have been in the OS already) you won't be able to play the game.[/QUOTE]

You wont update because the features contained in the update are ones you thought you should have had already? Sounds to me like you are jailbroken and dont want to lose game saves....

I have a first gen iPod touch, so there's no real reason for me to spend $10 for OS 3. I tried getting Defender Chronicles and was unable to. Ah well, I'll wait.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']I have a first gen iPod touch, so there's no real reason for me to spend $10 for OS 3. I tried getting Defender Chronicles and was unable to. Ah well, I'll wait.[/QUOTE]

Weird. I had/have a 1st gen and did update and it was definitely worth it. Lots of nice improvents, from the ability to copy and paste to the ability to press and hold on a link to get a menu includign "open in a new tab", etc, etc. Plus it just generally works better. I've got an iPhone 3G S now, but the update was still worth it. Plus my iPod touch will probably sell for a higher price due to it having 3.0 on it. win-win.

[quote name='ZForce']It looks like the $5 for civ rev is a sale price and that the game is normally 10. I'm dl'ing the demo to check it out[/QUOTE]

Where did you see this? With all the complaints about slowness and lag (unless you have a 3gs) - I'm not sure if they would want to jack up the price to 10 bux - unless they got some major tricks up their sleeves...

[quote name='ZForce']It looks like the $5 for civ rev is a sale price and that the game is normally 10. I'm dl'ing the demo to check it out[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bordjon']Where did you see this? With all the complaints about slowness and lag (unless you have a 3gs) - I'm not sure if they would want to jack up the price to 10 bux - unless they got some major tricks up their sleeves...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't believe you at first, but I saw this referenced in about 2 of the 7 or 8 articles I read about it being released. Both of these articles state that it'll be $4.99 only for the first 48 hours:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175509
http://www.intomobile.com/2009/08/1...he-iphone-mobile-dictating-now-a-reality.html

Neither the description in iTunes or the official site even mention it being discounted though, which seems weird. I enjoyed the lite version, but I don't know if I'd play it enough to warrant $5, considering most of the games I've bought have been $1 or free.

I saw Civ Rev just by checking PandoraBox and the first line of the description was "48 HOUR SALE (regular price: $9.99)" followed by the rest of the description. Checking iTunes at approximately the same time showed just the description. I assumed it was just an old description and they have since changed their minds.
Oh and it's also in the appshopper description

EDIT: it would seem that iTunes was the one lagging, it's showing up with the sale info now.

Either way I don't need an iDevice version. I've supported Civ Rev enough already by buying 360 and DS versions both at launch. If it stays at $5 and I get sufficiently bored of other purchases, I might be tempted to pick it up in the future. Or with a pass and play update, which is incredibly unlikely.

[quote name='donburns99']
421643.png
Not exactly a game, but My Stuff is finally on sale again at 40% off, from $5 to $3.

Good for organizing game and movie collections. ^ ^[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up on this app... I didn't even know it existed before, but it's actually a great little database tool. Having access to my video game and DVD collections on the go is gonna be great when I'm out deal-hunting :)

The controls in Duke3D are absolutely god awful.

I bought it hurridly, w/o reading thinking it would be as precise and comfortable as Wolf3D. It's not.

The analog-like controls don't seem to register movement properly. If you begin by pushing up, then try to slide to another direction (left/right or behind), you will only continue to move up. You have ot lift your finger off of the on-screen stick and re-apply pressure in the direction you want ot move. Really really terrible for a game like this.

I tried the digital controls, and whatever braniac thought those up should be fired. having to move your thumb down to another level on the screen to strafe and back up another level to move forward and backwards (and same for aiming) is just an illogical design choice.

Only 3 bucks though, for what could be a fantastic game...I'm sure they'll improve the controls. Wolf3D had issues at first too (but not like that...just customization options were lacking).

The controls in Duke3D are absolutely god awful.

I bought it hurridly, w/o reading thinking it would be as precise and comfortable as Wolf3D. It's not.

The analog-like controls don't seem to register movement properly. If you begin by pushing up, then try to slide to another direction (left/right or behind), you will only continue to move up. You have ot lift your finger off of the on-screen stick and re-apply pressure in the direction you want ot move. Really really terrible for a game like this.

I tried the digital controls, and whatever braniac thought those up should be fired. having to move your thumb down to another level on the screen to strafe and back up another level to move forward and backwards (and same for aiming) is just an illogical design choice.

Only 3 bucks though, for what could be a fantastic game...I'm sure they'll improve the controls. Wolf3D had issues at first too (but not like that...just customization options were lacking).

[quote name='ZForce']According to IGN, we're finally gonig to get our sale on Metal Gear Touch as of the 13th for 2.99[/QUOTE]

Might pick it up now. I hadn't even owned MGS4 when it came out, I've since finished it and would like to see the arcade shooting style (Virtua Cop) of the story.

Really though I want to see Monkey Island go on sale for 2.99. I refuse to buy anything on the App Store for more than 4.99 (except Myst and any Myst sequels that may come...please Riven!).

I'm loving Civ Revolution. The interface feels a little cramped, but other than that it's great. Lag is slim to none on the 3gs and you can save your game at any time and pick up right where you left off later.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZForce']According to IGN, we're finally gonig to get our sale on Metal Gear Touch as of the 13th for 2.99[/QUOTE]

Awesome, cant wait to pick it up.

Wolfenstein RPG is out for $4.99 ... any impressions? I'm liking the look of the graphics and the price seems decent for 8 hours of gameplay and 2 bonus minigames. I may wait to pick it up until reviews came out (picked up Duke Nukem yesterday before reviews were posted and while it's cool to have at $2.99, I'm hoping they tweak the controls in an update)

I bit on Wolf RPG, it seems pretty good so far. If you've played Orcs and Elves for the DS or a mobile phone, it's a lot like that (i.e. each movement or attack is one turn, then any enemies nearby get a turn)

[quote name='etcrane']Wolfenstein RPG is out for $4.99 ... any impressions? I'm liking the look of the graphics and the price seems decent for 8 hours of gameplay and 2 bonus minigames. I may wait to pick it up until reviews came out (picked up Duke Nukem yesterday before reviews were posted and while it's cool to have at $2.99, I'm hoping they tweak the controls in an update)[/QUOTE]
I was about to bite on Duke until I read all the reviews. Sounds like the control scheme is horrendous. They all need to follow Wolfenstien 3Ds lead on that. They nailed it.

[quote name='lllGurulll']I was about to bite on Duke until I read all the reviews. Sounds like the control scheme is horrendous. They all need to follow Wolfenstien 3Ds lead on that. They nailed it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have to say that it takes some getting used to but it's not utterly and completely terrible. It's a little over sensitive and you have to lift your thumbs, rather than slide like wolfenstein but when you get the hang of it, you actually have a bit more precision than Wolfenstein. Having Dukenukem on the iphone is pretty sweet tho, for the nostalgia inclined and it actually looks really good ... I'd buy it at $2.99 just to hold out hopes the controls are tightened because otherwise it's pretty sweet considering it's all 3 campaigns for 2.99

[quote name='etcrane']Actually, I have to say that it takes some getting used to but it's not utterly and completely terrible. It's a little over sensitive and you have to lift your thumbs, rather than slide like wolfenstein but when you get the hang of it, you actually have a bit more precision than Wolfenstein. Having Dukenukem on the iphone is pretty sweet tho, for the nostalgia inclined and it actually looks really good ... I'd buy it at $2.99 just to hold out hopes the controls are tightened because otherwise it's pretty sweet considering it's all 3 campaigns for 2.99[/QUOTE]
Wish I could risk it. Wolf3d is the only FPS control I like. Based on the iTunes description of the app, they are pretty high that their control is better than Wolfs. I wouldn't want to buy it and then regret it because they never fixed the controls. 3 bucks is 3 bucks. I don't like to waste money.

Civ Rev on iPhone 3G is atrociously laggy even though I already cleared 40MB of my memory cache. I was hooked and finished the demo but didn't bite on the full version.

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']Civ Rev on iPhone 3G is atrociously laggy even though I already cleared 40MB of my memory cache. I was hooked and finished the demo but didn't bite on the full version.[/QUOTE]

I keep hearing that ... but the weird thing is I have a G1 iphone and it seems to play smooth as butter ... is it only later on, when more units are on screen? I could understand that, as I've only played a short time, but I'm really enjoying it thus far.

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']Civ Rev on iPhone 3G is atrociously laggy even though I already cleared 40MB of my memory cache. I was hooked and finished the demo but didn't bite on the full version.[/QUOTE]

So this has been said by a few others, but it really is true - the full version, for whatever reason, is WAY smoother than the lite version. I was having some pretty bad slowdowns with the lite version, but decided it was worth it anyway and bought the full version - it's absolutely a noticeable difference, I have had no lag problems since (this is on a 3G) It's most clear on the battle animations - the demo they're choppy as hell, the full version it's perfectly smooth. I don't know why they released a lite version that's so crappy, but I wouldn't let that drive your decision

You think so? I'm really not a fan of Knights Onrush - but maybe I'm just terrible at it and don't "get it." I love the art style, I just think the gameplay is rather boring and flicking my finger randomly is a bit too frantic. But again, maybe that's just me.

I am, however, excited for Quest for Knights Onrush as it takes the graphic style that I love and puts it in to a gameplay model that I might actually like a lot more.

Plus, you know, it's free, so how could one complain?

I bought the full version and have 0 issue with lag on 3GS.

[quote name='lunsar']I bought the full version and have 0 issue with lag on 3GS.[/QUOTE]

I also bought the full version and the game plays great on an ipod touch 2g. Really, really worth the $5.

I broke down and bought CivRev when I heard it was on sale for $4.99 and that wasn't the regular price. The the 3GS it plays very smoothly. The game feels identical (except for graphics) to the console version. Glad I purchased it. Managed to stay up too late last night playing it in bed.

Those fuckers wouldn't let me buy Civ Rev yesterday or today for $5. Each time the damn thing said the app was being "modified" Now it's $10. Well, screw em. I won't ever buy it, unless it's a buck.

[quote name='Gdiguy']So this has been said by a few others, but it really is true - the full version, for whatever reason, is WAY smoother than the lite version. I was having some pretty bad slowdowns with the lite version, but decided it was worth it anyway and bought the full version - it's absolutely a noticeable difference, I have had no lag problems since (this is on a 3G) It's most clear on the battle animations - the demo they're choppy as hell, the full version it's perfectly smooth. I don't know why they released a lite version that's so crappy, but I wouldn't let that drive your decision[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments - definitely encouraging. I have the DS and Xbox 360 version but I always carry my iPhone 3G. Unfortunately, when I opened my iTunes and it was already $9.99. I'll wait for a drop next time. :D

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Those fuckers wouldn't let me buy Civ Rev yesterday or today for $5. Each time the damn thing said the app was being "modified" Now it's $10. Well, screw em. I won't ever buy it, unless it's a buck.[/QUOTE]I don't believe that has anything to do with the developer. It just means they updated the price and iTunes is taking some time to update the price for everyone. (Since for some reason, they can't do that all at once - instantly.)

Hey guys, sorry to do this on here, but i'm in a bit of trouble..

I got 1 Music Trivia Promo Code and 1 Numba Promo Code from the developers on one of the iphone forums. Apparently ebay says i owe them $3.50 , and i just don't want to get sued over that amount. I haven't used ebay for 6 months and i just want to pay this off and move on with my life and continue forgetting about ebay. So yea $3.50 would be nice, pm me guys .. Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back