iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='m3talst0rm']Go Go Rescue Squad is free. Sorry, no link cause I'm on my iPhone. It seems pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

Posted already. Ty though

I was hesitant because I've spent like $15 on apps so far, but I shelled out the $1 [oh my god so much $$] for Defender Chronicles.
Everyone should shell out the $1 for Defender Chronicles. This is my conclusion. :p
@ jody: get Defender Chronicles and that Hybrid game from Gamevil eight now, and then you can buy other games with their after-Christmas sales ... after finishing those 40+ hours of gaming fun. You'll even have $23 to waste on other stuff later!
As for other games, regardless of price: I really like Lux Touch [haven't tried Lux DLX because of lag complaints, and it's $5, and all I need is Lux Touch :)], Alive4Ever is a lot of fun[I got it when it was $1 ... depends how much you want a dual-stick shooter I suppose? I've heard good things about minigore], and Pocket God is amazing.
Of course, the apps I probably use the most, though, are the Kindle app, the McSweeneys app [:)], and the Stanza app. And the New York Times/AP Mobile apps. If you're in the mood for a semi-dumb Choose Your Own Adventure, Surviving High School [$3] is decent.

I'm waiting for Space Invaders: Infinity Gene, myself. I really, really want it. Might just pay the $5 ... but not yet. ... I'm racking up iPod apps like I usually rack up books.

*note: Enviro-Bear 2010, while it's not that great of a game, deserves a mention for being absolutely hilarious in its' conception. I can't stand playing it, but man, the idea and graphics are hilarious. :p It has not spent a day off of my iPod.
The dev of that game made something else ... Skullpogo? ... I haven't bought it, but it looks like fun, and it's $2.

I can also easily recommend Defender Chronicles (again) to anyone who has not already picked it up. One of the most played games on my device. $3 at launch and worth every bit.

I've played and purchased a fair amount of tower defense games from the App Store and this is the one that I keep going back to.

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up defender Chronicles durin the last $.99 sale. Well worth it and definitely the best tower defense game on the iPhone.

[quote name='lynx009']minisquadron. simply one of the most addicting games o the iphone right now.[/QUOTE]

Minisquadron is also the Appventcalendar freebie for today. Pick it up if you haven't already.

Electronic Arts has kinda stalled on its .99 offerings lately. All the same games are still on sale: Spore Origins, Sudoku, Auditorium, Connect 4, Mystery Mania, Anytime Pool, and Zombies & Me. I really wish they'd knock a few bucks off of Rockband or one of the Need for Speed titles.

Not a game but I just downloaded RedLaser last night $1.99. Pretty frickin cool app. It's a barcode scanner (My daughter Bday was yesterday and she got two doubles of presents). We scanned the barcodes to see what kind of refund/gift card she will get. Still amazes me some of the things this phone can do. lol

[quote name='Dimsdale']Electronic Arts has kinda stalled on its .99 offerings lately. All the same games are still on sale: Spore Origins, Sudoku, Auditorium, Connect 4, Mystery Mania, Anytime Pool, and Zombies & Me. I really wish they'd knock a few bucks off of Rockband or one of the Need for Speed titles.[/QUOTE]

Their eamobile twitter feed says those will be the games for sale from now until xmas. They're just leaving them up (most likely all on vacation).

[quote name='Malik112099']No added bulk + great protection = zagg

i have Zaggs on both my iphones, psp and ds lite

www.zagg.com[/QUOTE]
Try bestskinsever.com for the same thing as the Zagg ones, but 1/3 the price.

[quote name='hotwls13']Not a game but I just downloaded RedLaser last night $1.99. Pretty frickin cool app. It's a barcode scanner (My daughter Bday was yesterday and she got two doubles of presents). We scanned the barcodes to see what kind of refund/gift card she will get. Still amazes me some of the things this phone can do. lol[/QUOTE]

If you liked RedLaser, try Snaptell. It's free, but only works on games/dvds/cds/books. You just take a picture of the cover and it looks it up.

[quote name='Ronin317']Try bestskinsever.com for the same thing as the Zagg ones, but 1/3 the price.[/QUOTE]
Try gadgetshieldz.com for the same thing as bestskinsever.com, but 5/6th of the price. :p\
You can use a promo code:
PPCSG15
to get 15% off. So normally they're $7 with free shipping, but I got two for $11.88. Just ordered.
My iPod will get here first, though. ... It's gonna get scratched.

@edit at below:
Malik: um, I don't think so. Went searching for 30 seconds. :p
That said, though, it is 25% of the price. ... Well, 50% of the price if you were going to get that ... competitor that gives you two for $25 [Bodyguardz? Seriously, guys, why the z's? ... I hate companies with z's in their names ...] . Or if you're buying an invisibleShield during one of their half-off sales.
Also ... I dunno. I think they're all ... pretty much the same. Clear plastic things.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Anyone pick up the Simpsons game? It looks like it could have potential.[/QUOTE]

I'm picking it up now. I'm a huge fan of the original and the show.

[quote name='ZForce']Doom Classic is on sale for $2.99 right now[/QUOTE]

You have to be kidding me!! I took the plunge at literally 10PM last night for $7!!! lol... I knew that was going to happen.

Edit: Doom Resurrection is $1.99 also, looks like an ID sale. Going to have to take the plunge on that one.

Hey, it looks like someone at EA got ambitious and decided to discount a few new titles. Among today's offerings are Rockband (finally!) for $4.99, as well as some new .99 repeats: Boggle, Star Trek, Mass Effect Galaxy, American Idol and Pandemonium. It also looks like Auditorium is back up to $1.99.

[quote name='lynx009']Doodle Golf is free today! it's pretty good. Also definately pick up The Deep pinball game.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads-up on The Deep. Its companion release, Wild West Pinball, is also free for now. I've had both demos on my Touch for a while. Now I've got both full releases. Excellent!

There are 3 id Software games on sale today through January 1st:

DOOM Classic: $2.99
DOOM Resurrection: $1.99
Wolfenstein 3D Classic Platinum: $0.99

2XL ATV Offroad is on sale from $7.99 to .99 (!) Anyone have any experience with this one? For .99, I may just pick it up as a blind buy. . .

[quote name='Dimsdale']2XL ATV Offroad is on sale from $7.99 to .99 (!) Anyone have any experience with this one? For .99, I may just pick it up as a blind buy. . .[/QUOTE]

I went ahead and jumped on it at that price just due to the screenshots and reviews. Haven't played it yet though. Also got Doom Classic. Thanks!

[quote name='ccohen322']2xl ATV is fantastic. @ .99 it is a MUST buy. Imagine Real Racing mixed with Pure. Great stuff.[/QUOTE]
Done! Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Even though Rockband is reduced to $4.99, I noticed EA doesn't specifically mention it as being on sale. Hmmmm. Anyone think it will drop lower? I'm still on the fence about spending $5 for 26 songs. . .

Why is DOOM Classic $1 more than Doom Resurrection, which seems to be a newer version? With so many great games being made free or reduced to $0.99, it feels kinda difficult to justify spending the extra dollars for the Doom games.

Picked up Mass Effect: Galaxies and 2XL ATV Offroad for $0.99 each. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']Why is DOOM Classic $1 more than Doom Resurrection, which seems to be a newer version? With so many great games being made free or reduced to $0.99, it feels kinda difficult to justify spending the extra dollars for the Doom games.[/QUOTE]

DOOM Classic is more than Resurrection because, while Classic may be a port of an older game, it's still a "newer" game in the sense that it just released not too long ago, whereas Resurrection has been out for a while now.

[quote name='lllGurulll']I'm not even interested in Doom without the Wolfenstien control setup.[/QUOTE]
How do you mean? Video reviews have shown the controls to be identical, no? I'll be picking both up tonight since I love me some FPS on the go.

[quote name='Jodou']How do you mean? Video reviews have shown the controls to be identical, no? I'll be picking both up tonight since I love me some FPS on the go.[/QUOTE]
Unless something has changed that is not what I have been hearing.

Missed out on Mini Squadron. Too bad as that game looks pretty entertaining.

Currently downloading Spider Hornet Smash (Free) and 2XL ATV Offroad ($0.99) and considering dropping the cash on Need for Speed Shift ($9.99).

EDIT: OK I BIT! $9.99 dropped for Need for Speed Shift! I love NFS Underground a lot, but had to wait a very long time to get it at $2.99 (over Thanksgiving week) and I don't want to have to wait so long to finally get NFS Shift. Previously, the most I paid for an app was $4.99 for Fieldrunners (two hours before it permanently dropped to $2.99 xD).

Speaking of FieldRunners, TD fans get excited! Version 1.3 was submitted to Apple for approval!
[quote name='http://www.twitter.com/FieldRunners']Fieldrunners v1.3 has been submitted to Apple and is pending approval! Happy holidays from Subatomic Studios!

v1.3 is our biggest update yet! Includes: online high scores, achievements, multiplayer challenges, new maps, towers, and fieldrunners!

v1.3 also includes online chat, Facebook and Twitter integration, online presence and instant messaging--all thanks to OpenFeint 2.4![/quote]Does this mean we'll be getting the two PSP maps for free?!

[quote name='lllGurulll']Unless something has changed that is not what I have been hearing.[/QUOTE]

There are some slight differences in the scheme but overall it controls almost the same as Wolf. I actually think the Doom controls are slightly better myself.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Even though Rockband is reduced to $4.99, I noticed EA doesn't specifically mention it as being on sale. Hmmmm. Anyone think it will drop lower? I'm still on the fence about spending $5 for 26 songs. . .[/QUOTE]
I noticed this as well and I'm still holding out for a better deal. If it drops to $3 I'll get it, but I still feel that it's to expensive for what you get considering TTR3 is only $.99.

[quote name='mdmusick']There are some slight differences in the scheme but overall it controls almost the same as Wolf. I actually think the Doom controls are slightly better myself.[/QUOTE]
I definitely need to tweak these controls. Not very responsive.

bread's done
Back