iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Escargoexpress']Pac Man Championship edition is 99 cents. There was earlier discussion that most of the game is locked in a 4 dollar DLC after purchase, but I'm pretty sure there's 99 cents worth of content in the vanilla game[/QUOTE]

I bought that at 99 cents a few weeks ago.

[quote name='porieux']Just grabbed Peggle. Love the Xbox 360 game, been waiting for a while to grab the iPhone version.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. $1.99 was the price point I was waiting for.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I bought that at 99 cents a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

thats crazy since it wasnt on the app store yet a few weeks ago

[quote name='fuss']^ are any of those pinball games any good? Both the screens look busy.

Huh?
People are too uptight, I love all the systems with equal love.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but I believe League of Legends for PC is in the same vein as the Warcraft 3 Defense of the Ancients mod ... but this tower defense game seems like a nice promotional piece for the actual game.

Speaking of promotion type games ... it would be awesome if EA ported that Dragon Age Origins flash game over to the iphone ... it's an incredibly solid game on its own. And I could actually play through it in my spare time to get the items for DA: O

Khronologic is a new release that pays homage to Braid. Apparently $1.99 is an intro price, so I picked it up to check it out as Braid was a fun game even ignoring all the carefully designed art and subtle storytelling.

Probably should have tried the Lite first, but didn't. Once I get around to playing it, I'll post impressions.

Site has a couple videos and screens including a brief demo of the level editor.
http://www.khronologic.com/media.php

[quote name='etcrane']I could be wrong but I believe League of Legends for PC is in the same vein as the Warcraft 3 Defense of the Ancients mod ... but this tower defense game seems like a nice promotional piece for the actual game.

Speaking of promotion type games ... it would be awesome if EA ported that Dragon Age Origins flash game over to the iphone ... it's an incredibly solid game on its own. And I could actually play through it in my spare time to get the items for DA: O[/QUOTE]

League of Legends on the PC is made by the creators of the Defense of the Ancients the Warcraft 3 mod. It is the first full game by the creators and actually has a free to play configuration with in game purchases for revenue. Fun game on its own and definitely worth a try for anyone interested.

Thanks OP, picked up the iphone version.

I really wish Oregon Trail would go on sale sometime...I've wanted that game for a while, but I can't pull the trigger for $5.

[quote name='iambeaker']Metal gear solid touch is $.99[/QUOTE]

Yep, all the Konami games have been on sale for $.99 for the last week or so.

Oh, and even at $.99 Silent Hill is a definite skip, just thrown that out there...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yep, all the Konami games have been on sale for $.99 for the last week or so.

Oh, and even at $.99 Silent Hill is a definite skip, just thrown that out there...[/QUOTE]

That used to be like $5+. Imagine all the suckers that bought that.

[quote name='Hostile']I had to pick up Pac-Man C.E. for a dollar. I need to try it more but I was right in thinking the controls would suck.[/QUOTE]

Switch to the thumb/forefinger d-pad setup. By default, it's a retarded swiping system. The d-pad basically gives you buttons to touch.

There's no way you're going to make it as responsive as the XBLA version though, so just live with that.

got my 3rd Gen for christmas! the built-in speaker kinda sucks...probably most disappointed in that (it's not that loud), but it really does work better!

now i need some newer apps to run on its nice 3.0 software...im thinking N.O.V.A.?

[quote name='jcp42877']got my 3rd Gen for christmas! the built-in speaker kinda sucks...probably most disappointed in that (it's not that loud), but it really does work better!

now i need some newer apps to run on its nice 3.0 software...im thinking N.O.V.A.?[/QUOTE]

Really? My speakers seem louder than my old 2nd gen. In fact, the sound is too loud if I set it on the lowest setting with headphones. Strange.

N.O.V.A runs extremely well on my 3rd gen. Looks like a promising game, although I haven't really played it.

I think I'm going to pick up peggle, and maybe megaman. The controls aren't very responsive on megaman though...

^

Nova still costs too much for me-- almost how much I pay for NEW PS3 games! (TR, Assassin's Creed, etc)

[quote name='tenchim86']Really? My speakers seem louder than my old 2nd gen. In fact, the sound is too loud if I set it on the lowest setting with headphones. Strange.

N.O.V.A runs extremely well on my 3rd gen. Looks like a promising game, although I haven't really played it.

I think I'm going to pick up peggle, and maybe megaman. The controls aren't very responsive on megaman though...[/QUOTE]

Well i mean headphone volume is fine...just the volume of the speaker when earbuds aren't plugged in..but im assuming it's more for app use than streaming music...

at max volume, i could barely hear the words of a song through the little input jack speaker

[quote name='Casteor']^

Nova still costs too much for me-- almost how much I pay for NEW PS3 games! (TR, Assassin's Creed, etc)[/QUOTE]

I agree there. I will usually buy apps if they're $0.99 or $1.99. More expensive games eventually go on sale. Besides, I've got too much too play on my ipod now.

[quote name='jcp42877']Well i mean headphone volume is fine...just the volume of the speaker when earbuds aren't plugged in..but im assuming it's more for app use than streaming music...

at max volume, i could barely hear the words of a song through the little input jack speaker[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I also meant that both my headphone volume and speaker volumes were very loud. I just tested out with a song and on max, it's quite loud and I can feel my ipod vibrating. Maybe mine's defective or something.

[quote name='tenchim86']I agree there. I will usually buy apps if they're $0.99 or $1.99. More expensive games eventually go on sale. Besides, I've got too much too play on my ipod now.

Sorry, I also meant that both my headphone volume and speaker volumes were very loud. I just tested out with a song and on max, it's quite loud and I can feel my ipod vibrating. Maybe mine's defective or something.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you accidentally have iTouch 4th generation?

[quote name='tenchim86']Really? My speakers seem louder than my old 2nd gen. In fact, the sound is too loud if I set it on the lowest setting with headphones. Strange.

I think I'm going to pick up peggle, and maybe megaman. The controls aren't very responsive on megaman though...[/QUOTE]

I actually bought Peggle and Mega Man 2 an hour ago.

Peggle is peggle - if you liked it on another platform, it's still fun on this. IMO, it's the second best version, right behind the PC.

Mega Man 2 (for $.99) is worth it. It's one of my favorite games, and even though the controls are a little assy, the game is still fun and it has 3 dificulty settings. Just make sure you use the landscape control setup. If you love Mega Man 2, get it.

[quote name='Jodou']Woah, isn't League of Legends supposed to be a popular tower defense game? Just saw League of Legends: Turret Defense was released yesterday for the low price of FREE![/QUOTE]
I'm down for LoL. Loves me some tower defense annihilation after a long day of celebratin' with the relatives. Merry Christmas everyone. Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone have a good recommendation on a 3rd gen itouch case? I know one guy said something about Neo case or something...any this one interests me, but is there any i could pick up at Best Buy that offers really good protection?

i dont mind shelling out a little bit, seeing as how it's protecting a $300+ item anyways..

i'm kinda anal about keeping my ipods in as mint a condition as i can and just want some good protection for it :)

I bought a Speck candyshell case for mine and I'm loving it. Hard outer shell with a soft membrane to absorb shock if you drop it. Fits snugly and feels natural to grip. Amazon does sell it for $22.25, so just switch sellers if you have prime/want FSSS.

BTW, it does come with a screen protector, but it's pretty shitty quality and not very transparent. Best to get that elsewhere IMO.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I ordered a Zagg shield (www.zagg.com) for just the screen and then an ifrogz case on Amazon to protect the back and sides.[/QUOTE]

You may want to review the inside your case every so often. I had an iFrogz, and it not only dug craters into the back of my iPhone, it also cracked my phone at the base next to the dock connector. It tweaks the phone/ipod too much for my liking. Plus, one false move and you lose the bottom stretch of plastic on the front of the case.

I wouldn't buy iFrogz again, but that's just my experience with them. :)

[quote name='blk00civicsi']You may want to review the inside your case every so often. I had an iFrogz, and it not only dug craters into the back of my iPhone, it also cracked my phone at the base next to the dock connector. It tweaks the phone/ipod too much for my liking. Plus, one false move and you lose the bottom stretch of plastic on the front of the case.

I wouldn't buy iFrogz again, but that's just my experience with them. :)[/QUOTE]

Really? God damn it...

Although that crack on the dock connector is something the iPhones were known for so I'm not entirely sure the iFrogz alone is necessarily responsible for it. The craters on the back worry me a little though.

Use coupon code HOLIDAY35 for 35% off orders on InvisibleShields at zagg.com to protect your new iPods and touches!

I think I'll order a screen cover only for my sister.

I can't believe Apple shut down updates to the App store for the week after Christmas ... looking at things like the Steam sale, this is a prime time for App makers to be offering discounts. Instead Apple gives the screw to both developers looking to sell at a discount and customers who want to get some great deals.

For example, a couple bucks off Nova and I would purchase immediately, but as it stands right now, knowing that Devs can't discount between now and at least the middle of next week, I'm just not even going to bother doing any shopping on iTunes. Simply ridiculous on Apple's part ...

[quote name='etcrane']I can't believe Apple shut down updates to the App store for the week after Christmas ... looking at things like the Steam sale, this is a prime time for App makers to be offering discounts. Instead Apple gives the screw to both developers looking to sell at a discount and customers who want to get some great deals.

For example, a couple bucks off Nova and I would purchase immediately, but as it stands right now, knowing that Devs can't discount between now and at least the middle of next week, I'm just not even going to bother doing any shopping on iTunes. Simply ridiculous on Apple's part ...[/QUOTE]

I understand your point...but maybe the devs could just have their sales NEXT week? No?

[quote name='jcp42877']I understand your point...but maybe the devs could just have their sales NEXT week? No?[/QUOTE]

It's just counter-intuitive, given that many folks received either iTunes cards or in many cases new iPhones and Touches over Christmas and Hanukkah, and now Apple basically shuts down updates until later in December or even early January. I would be pissed if I were a Dev because it sounds like Apple didn't give much notice and as a buyer, I can't say I'm too psyched about it. Sure they can do it next week ... but it feels like a missed opportunity.

Are you surprised? Oh no, not control-freak Apple! Never them! Apple wants their cut, their full cut. If there's a particular week out of the year when it's traditional to have mega-sales, I'm sure Apple doesn't want that to happen because they want everything at full price when all those people are turning on their new iPhones that they just got. As you say, many people are receiving iTunes cards so it's not even their money, so they're less inclined to care about price.

I don't know why Apple has this image of being some cool, hip, fun company when they prove time and again that they don't give two shits about you.

slightly off-topic, but gotdamn... is there a thread for game specific iphone/ipod touch help? I'm stuck on Nick Chase on the crossword puzzle. It wont let me leave that screen or change anything. I just have to solve it. the problem is, i cant remember the name of my damn cat. again, i cant leave the screen. i dont know if its a glitch or what, but i'm disappointed.

[quote name='callmesteam']slightly off-topic, but gotdamn... is there a thread for game specific iphone/ipod touch help? I'm stuck on Nick Chase on the crossword puzzle. It wont let me leave that screen or change anything. I just have to solve it. the problem is, i cant remember the name of my damn cat. again, i cant leave the screen. i dont know if its a glitch or what, but i'm disappointed.[/QUOTE]

try the toucharcade.com forum
friendly people there should be able to help you out.

[quote name='etcrane']It's just counter-intuitive, given that many folks received either iTunes cards or in many cases new iPhones and Touches over Christmas and Hanukkah, and now Apple basically shuts down updates until later in December or even early January. I would be pissed if I were a Dev because it sounds like Apple didn't give much notice and as a buyer, I can't say I'm too psyched about it. Sure they can do it next week ... but it feels like a missed opportunity.[/QUOTE]

I totally get what you're saying man.. and I'd be lying to say I wasn't a bit pissed myself hah; I really wanted a sale on NOVA, NFS, and Ravensword!

[quote name='jcp42877']How is rock band? I see it's on sale for $4.99...I already have tap tap 1-3, does it beat those?[/QUOTE]
I also have the TapTap apps but I still went ahead and bought RockBand. It's good. It's pretty much RockBand in your hand. For $5, I have no regrets. Now, if someone would just put N.O.V.A on sale . . .

I figured with as popular as N.O.V.A. is that it would be a while before a sale or price drop anyway so I went ahead and bought it at $6.99. Still feel like its a great deal for that price.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I figured with as popular as N.O.V.A. is that it would be a while before a sale or price drop anyway so I went ahead and bought it at $6.99. Still feel like its a great deal for that price.[/QUOTE]

How is the multiplayer component? Is it local area wifi only or does it allow for games using wifi with random players that aren't local? Would you say the graphics push the processor harder than most other games you've played up until this point? I'm psyched about NOVA ... but I have to admit I'm willing to wait for a price drop after seeing that Unreal engine footage because that looked even slicker than NOVA does.

[quote name='etcrane']How is the multiplayer component? Is it local area wifi only or does it allow for games using wifi with random players that aren't local? Would you say the graphics push the processor harder than most other games you've played up until this point? I'm psyched about NOVA ... but I have to admit I'm willing to wait for a price drop after seeing that Unreal engine footage because that looked even slicker than NOVA does.[/QUOTE]

You can play with other random people who have wifi, it even uses system like xbox live, the graphics are pretty amazing for iphone

Don't know if it's been posted alredy, but Seed - Rise of Darkness is free.

Haven't tried it out yet, but it suppose to be a action RPG in the same light as Zenonia, or more commonly associated to The Legend of Zelda seires (The 2D ones that is).

bread's done
Back