iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Now what I'm wondering is whether we'll be able to do folders-within-folders (i.e., can I have a "Games" folder with an "RPG" folder within it?).[/QUOTE]What I'm curious about is how many items we can put into each folder. It appears to be limited to 9 apps per folder, which in my opinion, is going to be very sloppy as we'll end up with Games1, Games2, Games3...

[quote name='iowaholdem']What I'm curious about is how many items we can put into each folder. It appears to be limited to 9 apps per folder, which in my opinion, is going to be very sloppy as we'll end up with Games1, Games2, Games3...[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I didn't even think of it that way. If that's what they're going to do, then I'd rather they not even bother. That would be even more of a mess than the current (non-)system.

What I want to know is can we have more then 9 apps in a folder - a folder's icon appears to show 9 icons (in the icon). Maybe if you go over 9, though, it shows a generic folder icon? We'll find out.

[quote name='crunchewy']What I want to know is can we have more then 9 apps in a folder - a folder's icon appears to show 9 icons (in the icon). Maybe if you go over 9, though, it shows a generic folder icon? We'll find out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that's the basis of what iowaholdem was saying too.

Maybe it just shows the first 9 apps in the folder in the icon, but there can be more apps in the folder itself? I would certainly hope that it's something like that. Apple has made some odd design decisions in the past, but I can't imagine that limiting folders to 9 apps would make sense to anyone.

I'm going to guess that folders are limited to 12 apps each.

Apple mentioned that the app count per device would go up from 180 to 2160, which turns out to be 180*12=2160. That's serviceable, but not ideal.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, there was a slide which indicated that replacing all 180 app spaces with folders would allow you to have 2,160 apps.

2,160/180 = 12 apps per folder?

Edit: Beat by 1 minute lol

I'm definitely not buying a new Iphone/Ipod Touch until this one breaks. So much crap design in the 3.0 Iphone OS, you'd be utterly STUPID to believe 4.0 won't be any more unwieldy.

No multitasking on my 3G is bullshit since it multitasks fine using cydia apps. I'm not going to upgrade to the 3GS though. Too late for that...if i did the next iteration of the iPhone would be announced 2 weeks later.

Motor Stunt Xtreme is pretty decent. I beat it fairly quickly but it is the best of the trials type games I have played on my iphone.

http://www.appshopper.com/games/motor-stunt-xtreme

anyone know are there any way i can dl complete app collection i previous dl from different computer all to 1 computer?

thanks very much

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']No multitasking on my 3G is bullshit since it multitasks fine using cydia apps. I'm not going to upgrade to the 3GS though. Too late for that...if i did the next iteration of the iPhone would be announced 2 weeks later.[/QUOTE]

I'm operating under the assumption that we will see an announcement of the next iteration of the iPhone before this actually comes out. In fact, I'll be utterly shocked if we don't. They're saying this will be a "summer" release, and if Apple follows the pattern they've established, we'll be seeing a new model announced in June, for a July release. My guess would be that 4.0 will come out to coincide with the new phone.

845407.png
Rayman 2: The Great Escape has dropped to $4.99, from $6.99.

Not the biggest drop, but at least it's something.

[quote name='arcane93']It's a conundrum. On the one hand, I applaud Apple's relative openness to putting things on the store, especially when the closed nature of the platform precludes any alternate means of distribution. On the other hand, though, I find using the artificially padded numbers which such a model generates as a basis for comparison to be disingenuous at best.[/QUOTE]

This is veering off topic, but I feel Apple should set up some type of system for "premium" games. They are probably too lazy, but all it would really need to be is another category or just something that has it's own top 25 list or something.

It wouldn't be too hard to set up criteria. To qualify, the game would have to be approved by a more rigorous panel (probably have a slightly prohibitive application fee), be obligated not to lower the price below a certain point (perhaps within a time fame of six months or a year, older games couldn't be expected to keep their initial price), would lose premium game status if they included any adds, would require more in depth descriptions (perhaps 10 screen shots, minimum description, that sort of thing) and would require a minimal of X amount of game play (no more games that can be beaten in a few minutes) and would not require in-app purchases for game progression.

Really, all those criteria would not be too hard to meet and would go a long way towards encouraging top quality titles with longer game play since the current model seems to be based on cheap games, not quality games. If those types of games had their own showcases, it would give more confidence to both developers and gamers without destroying the structure that exists for the rest of the games.

Currently it's hard to dig up the gems. Even a great looking game with good reviews might have only a few minutes of game play and a promising game might not even have 5 screen shots. A popular game might have nag screens/in app purchases that don't even come into play well into game play. There's all types of things and while I love the chaos of the app store, which results in tons of games and lots of free games, I've pretty much given up on the idea of paid apps. There's too much risk and too many free apps. If you let the best of the best paid apps stand out more I think it would restore buyer confidence, rather than the current system which really is almost a trick people into buying a game. It's only .99, find out if it's any good later!

12 apps per folder is workable, even if not ideal. I probably don't have more then 12 of any particular kind of game or app, so it will be OK. Certainly better then what we have now.

Also, no multitasking on the 3G may or may not be bullshit. Keep in mind that it's not straight forward (or maybe you would say "true") multiprocessing, instead there are APIs to provides multiprocessing for certain kinds of processes, and other stuff like that, plus save states and such. Maybe there is some technical reason why the 3G can't do it. Mind you, it could also just be bullshit. :)

The advantage to this approach being much lower battery drain, no runaway apps and such. The downside obviously being that it doesn't do everything that pure multiprocessing would allow. But this isn't a desktop or a laptop with a big battery, and battery life is a rather important thing for most. It's already short enough!

[quote name='RollingSkull']That's what Slide to Play is for.

And my phone is 16 gb. I just got it recently, but the back and itunes both say nothing.[/QUOTE]

Then it's a 3GS. Only the current 8 GB model is a 3G. Well, there was a 16 GB 3G, I believe, so anyone with an older iPhone that's 16 GB, that might be a 3G.

On a completely different note, though related in that I was trying to find a mention of 3GS on my phone (no luck so far!), I was looking in the About screen in General preferences and noticed that there is a "Call Time" statistic with "Current Period" and "Lifetime", and both have the exact same amount of call time in them. 7 hours 11 min. I don't actually use my iPhone as a phone that much, incidentally. So... what is the "Current Period"? So far it seems to be "Lifetime"!

[quote name='crunchewy']
On a completely different note, though related in that I was trying to find a mention of 3GS on my phone (no luck so far!), I was looking in the About screen in General preferences and noticed that there is a "Call Time" statistic with "Current Period" and "Lifetime", and both have the exact same amount of call time in them. 7 hours 11 min. I don't actually use my iPhone as a phone that much, incidentally. So... what is the "Current Period"? So far it seems to be "Lifetime"![/QUOTE]

I believe you can reset current call usage. So think of Current Period and Lifetime like your odometer and trip meter in the car. The Lifetime is the odometer - it never resets and keeps going as long as you have the phone. The Current Period is the trip meter - you can set it back to 0 whenever you want.

FYI, the quickest way to tell if you have a 3GS is if you have the Compass app. The 3G does not have a compass so no matter what OS you get, you will not have the Compass app.

Good Friday morning to you, bargain hunters! Here's your Friday roundup:

Free App a Day is showcasing a fun little re-run, Ultimate Hangman (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=09&month=04). There's also a photo altering app, Art of Blur, being shown among the 5 titles today (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=47&month=04).
OpenFeint is featuring Atlantis Sky Patrol (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=47&month=04).
Great App a Day has the MMORPG iDuel Online (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/iduel-online/).
Free App Calendar is highlighting ArchRobo, Robotic Annihilation (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=76).

Atlantis sky patrol is a very decent marble shooting match 3, it's definitely worth the space and time for a free download.

[quote name='BREVITY']Where can I find out which apps allow free upgrade from their iPhone versions to their iPad versions>[/QUOTE]

I'm not aware of any master listing that shows all of them, but any app in the app store will have the supported devices listed in the 'Requirements' section. If it lists both iPhone and iPad, then its universal and is designed for both. In other words, if you own it for iPhone already, you can put the same app on an iPad. Also, on appshopper.com, an app listing will either say 'iPad only' or 'Universal':

http://appshopper.com/ipad/

Also, I found a list of popular universal games on Touch Arcade:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/07/a-list-of-universal-games-for-ipad-and-iphone/

EDIT: Also, if you just update to the latest version of iTunes, and update all your Apps, the 'Apps' section of iTunes (where the apps you own are located) now lists them in separate categories: ones that run on all devices, ones that only run on iPhone/iPod Touch, and ones only for iPad. So, that's one way to check on apps you already own; just update them.

Most games still look good when pixel doubled (actually, it's more like 'pixel quadrupled' since they're turning a 1x1 pixel into a 2x2 pixel [4 pixels total]).

Text-based apps look bad doubled, so anything news-related, or the Facebook app, or ESPN Scorecenter look bad.

Dual stick shooters and virtual d-pad games don't work so well on the big iPad screen either (Space Miner, Guerrilla Bob, Minigore)

'Tap on the screen' games are great pixel doubled (Diner Dash, The Creeps, Plants vs. Zombies)

Also, Doom Resurrection (the rail shooter one) is great played on the iPad.

I was so hoping to find out that like the iPad version of stuff like Flight Control, PvZ, and such would allow you to update for free if I owned the iPhone version prior to launch.

THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!! WELL WORTH $0.99 I highly recommend it. I paid a $1.99 and play the SHACK FU out of this game. Its a combo of a racing game and puzzler. You race down the highway trying to hit cars that match your color car. There are power ups to give you speed, heavy traffic, ghost mode(you can drive through other cars), etc. This game is definitely a diamond in the rough. With all the crap on the app store, these awesome games get lost in the mix. GET THIS ONE TODAY!!!

-------------

548868.png

Hit N'Run ON SALE $0.99

An addictive mix of a full-blown 3D racing game and a Tetris®-like dynamic puzzle. Weave in and out of traffic at high speeds and hit cars of the proper color. Have fun breaking traffic regulations and following worst driving practices. Hit N'Run pushes the limits of gameplay on a handheld device. Choose your own speed and pace: from comfortable and relaxed to extreme and outright mad.

App Shopper Link http://appshopper.com/games/hit-nrun

Marple is a decent logic puzzler but not really that fun.

That said, the help file is trash but if you play through a puzzle using a lot of extended hints (Hold down the hint button), you can learn the game just fine. I'm probably going to delete it though and just play sudoku.

Rayman 2 got a demo if you're all interested.

This isn't a game but I noticed that NBC.com recently updated their system for iPod use. I was able to watch an entire episode of Jimmy Fallon on my iPod Touch. I don't know if this was a recent fix, but about 3 months ago it told me I needed Adobe Flash to view footage. It no longer gives me that error and just works.

[quote name='107proof']THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!! WELL WORTH $0.99 I highly recommend it. I paid a $1.99 and play the SHACK FU out of this game. Its a combo of a racing game and puzzler. You race down the highway trying to hit cars that match your color car. There are power ups to give you speed, heavy traffic, ghost mode(you can drive through other cars), etc. This game is definitely a diamond in the rough. With all the crap on the app store, these awesome games get lost in the mix. GET THIS ONE TODAY!!!

-------------

548868.png

Hit N'Run ON SALE $0.99

An addictive mix of a full-blown 3D racing game and a Tetris®-like dynamic puzzle. Weave in and out of traffic at high speeds and hit cars of the proper color. Have fun breaking traffic regulations and following worst driving practices. Hit N'Run pushes the limits of gameplay on a handheld device. Choose your own speed and pace: from comfortable and relaxed to extreme and outright mad.

App Shopper Link http://appshopper.com/games/hit-nrun[/QUOTE]

DAMN YOU! I tried the game out of your recommendation, and I am hooked! Great game.

[quote name='nightmare452']DAMN YOU! I tried the game out of your recommendation, and I am hooked! Great game.[/QUOTE]

YOUR WELCOME!!!!

Add me on AGON.

I'm confused on this whole 4.0 business. I have heard that there will be a 4.0 update for the iPod Touch 2g but it will be gimped. What features will it actually have over 3.1?

[quote name='nightmare452']I have no idea how to use AGON. Will try to search for it later. But thanks.[/QUOTE]

AGON is the high score and awards system that Hit n run uses. (similar to Open Feint) That way we can compare scores and achievements. I just need your username for agon and I can add you.

So my friend bought an iPad, and brought it over tonight, that thing is AWESOME. You think you don't want one until you play with one. It's just great. Touch Grind HD is sickly. Also played with one in the Apple store for about 45 minutes haha. PVZ HD is great. I'm so buying me an iPad, however I wanna wait 1 year for the 2nd gens.

[quote name='caltab']Espgaluda 2 by cave just hit the store for 4.99, pricey but looks pretty sick.[/QUOTE]

It's 8.99 in a few days though, so get it while it's cheap. It's utterly brilliant, too. Controls just perfectly.

[quote name='ryanflucas']This isn't a game but I noticed that NBC.com recently updated their system for iPod use. I was able to watch an entire episode of Jimmy Fallon on my iPod Touch. I don't know if this was a recent fix, but about 3 months ago it told me I needed Adobe Flash to view footage. It no longer gives me that error and just works.[/QUOTE]

Cool. NBC owns Hulu, so that may be a good sign of things to come.

Good morning! Here's your Saturday freebies update:

Free App a Day has Slap Game (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=10&month=04)
OpenFeint is featuring Ultimate Word Search (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ultimate-word-search/id356091092?mt=8)
Great App a Day highlights the previously-mentioned LED Football 2 (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/led-football-2/)
Free App Calendar has the card game Blitz! (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=94)

Your weekend bonus title is Penetrator -- Advanced sci-fi copter game (http://itunes.apple.com/app/penetrator-advanced-sci-fi/id317015904?mt=8)

Have a great day!

bread's done
Back