iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya astro ranch has been riddled with bugs that have destroyed it's potential. When it first came out it was totally unplayable after day 20. The iPad version is far more stable. When it works it's pretty fun. I'd say it's worth a dowload in hopes for more fixes to it's stability. Its kind of sad, i think the developer put a lot of money into it. Also, transformers doesn't work on my iPad either.

man I just went to town on App downloads

iHeart Radio : Free app that gives you access to an ASS load of radio stations throughout the entire country. You have the option to get the stations in your area via location, or you can access just about any semi-major city/state local stations and stream them seamlessly. It also gives you the option to tag songs or view lyrics

weatherchannel : again, free app. not only does it give you the five day, but also gives you doplar map views and the ability to stream a local video of a meteorologist giving you the forecast and the little robot type dude. very nice

5-0 radio : bored and want to see what the cops/EMS are up to? gives you the option to choose city and state or just browse the local scene

Bubbles Lab : Bust-a-Move clone. Free. 'Nuff said

Skies of Glory : Free online WWII style airplane shooter. Pretty nice

Actually, I take that back. The Skies of Glory game is ridiculously good. Tilt controls are nice. Multiple views including a semi-real cockpit view, and online multiplayer (capped at 8 now, but normally 10).

Definitely worth checking out

[quote name='kurrptsenate']5-0 radio : bored and want to see what the cops/EMS are up to? gives you the option to choose city and state or just browse the local scene[/QUOTE]
I downloaded this, and it's much more boring than I could've imagined.

Good Friday morning, CAGers! Here's your app sites freebies for today:

Free App a Day has one for all the guitarists out there: Guitarist's Reference Pro (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=16&month=04). For those not attuned to the way of the six string, there's a match-3 offering: The Reactor (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=49&month=04).
OpenFeint is featuring Zombie Pizza (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=49&month=04).
Great App a Day is showing ArchRobo, Robotic Annihilation (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/archrobo-robotic-annihilation/).
Free App Calendar has the vaguely Lemmings-like Age of Tribes (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=103).

I just got through reading a review of Revenge of the Summon Monsters (R.O.S.M) on TouchArcade. Being something of a TD junkie, it sounds really intriguing. Kind of like Pandamania with magic spells instead of arrows. Anyone have any experience playing this one? It's only $1.99 but I'd be interested in additional opinions. Thanks!

Auditorium has in-app purchases. Not sure if they removed functionality and made it in-app purchase, or if it was always like that (anyone know?) Downloading regardless. Thanks for the heads up!

soosiz is on sale for .99 this weekend, there is a lite version to try, this is an absolutely top notch platformer. One of my all time favorite apps.

[quote name='crunchewy']Auditorium has in-app purchases. Not sure if they removed functionality and made it in-app purchase, or if it was always like that (anyone know?) Downloading regardless. Thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]Always had in-app purchases; well it it though.

142961.png
Inotia 2: A Wanderer of Luone is on sale to celebrate the release of IMO; from $5.99 down to $2.99.

Speaking of IMO, for anyone who missed it, this is one you shouldn't pass up:

464325.png
IMO: The World of Magic - free.

You get to play as one of two factions (realms) within the game. They both start on one side of the map and once you get past the newbie areas, the fighting grounds start to merge. You can form groups with other players, as well as guilds. There is a PvP aspect where you can fight the other faction and every 2 hours there is a battlefield event where you raid their castle and have to fight the other team off and steal (kill) their treasure. First team to do it wins the battle.

There is a Booster Pack you can buy (I choose not to) that gives you a set of items (random unique soulbound hat item [I think], 7-slot backpack, a group summon-to-your-location item, and other misc items) and premium membership for your character. The membership removes an in-game ad on the chat screen (hardly noticeable) and allows you to use the two Traders in town. The traders act as a player-run auction house where you can buy and sell goods.

Free members can still sell and buy from NPC characters and any player directly, as well as sell their items through a premium member if you trust them.

Amazing value for a free game.

Freaking inkies was released yesterday for 2.99, it's a shooting game that is a bit different then the rest. You have to mix the right colors when shooting the inkies. There are several different level types, I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's by hungry games, who also published fly kiwi fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEJ4GcctcIk

[quote name='Dimsdale']Free App a Day will be featuring the TD game Last Front: Europe (http://itunes.apple.com/app/last-front-europe/id352978106?mt=8) for "tax relief day" Thursday.[/QUOTE]

This is a great tower defense game and it looks like at least so far this morning its still free. Go grab it! I probably lost an hour or so at least last night playing it. The maps where there are bridges to block to change the routes while building your maze are great!

Lots and lots of great apps today.

Soosiz at 99 cents - Bought.

Crazy Hamster and Crazy Ninja - Got them.

The Karate Kid - Awesome, and free.

iHorror - 99 cents, has horror wallpapers and clips, deff worth it. Bought.

Tomorrow, Cobra Command will be FREE, down from $5. A sick ass animated game. In for one.

[quote name='SpazX']Well I hope soosiz is good because I just accidentally bought it....looks good anyway[/QUOTE]

It's solid for sure. It's gets tough when you want to 100% each level. The gravity can be really wacky at times.

Here's something different. Bank Run, an interactive movie/game adventure, is on sale for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/bank-run/id347639662?mt=8):

"Your employer has turned against you and wants you dead. Even worse, they are holding your girlfriend hostage until you comply with their demands. Bottom line: It's kill or be killed in this interactive movie/game adventure.

The story begins at www.bankrungame.com where Evan Sharpe's life is turned on its side. He has no option but to go on the offensive in order to save the one he loves. Survival is in your hands (literally) as you fight back on the iphone, sending Sisemen bank into disarray. Trust no one and let your weapon do the talking."

[quote name='powersurge']This is a great tower defense game and it looks like at least so far this morning its still free. Go grab it! I probably lost an hour or so at least last night playing it. The maps where there are bridges to block to change the routes while building your maze are great![/QUOTE]

I'm enjoying this one too. I like the WWII theme and how the enemies will change their path on you.

[quote name='SpazX']Well I hope soosiz is good because I just accidentally bought it....looks good anyway[/QUOTE]

I bought it at the last $0.99 sales. This is my favorite platforming game on the iphone! The design is top-notch innovative and the game is no walk-in-the-park. In fact, I still haven't finished it yet due to its difficulty (though I'm trying to get Gold at every stage before moving on). I can't recommend it enough for $0.99!

Bought Soosiz at 99 cents. Sick platformer.

Bought Zombie Smash at 99 cents. You fling zombies to their death with your finger.

FYI, the latest update for Minigore has been released:

" 3.71 is out, you can now update, there is no bug with the current version that will cause you to lose your progress, when you update you will get 100,000 free kills and every character you unlocked plus the next character you had to unlock.

Features: Predator Furry. Improved difficulty curve. Bullet shells. Map screen. Zombie Gore. Easter Bunny."

Anybody here sharing apps within the household? I know an itunes account can be tied to 5 different computers, but can the apps bought be tied to 5 different devices too?

[quote name='vx2']Anybody here sharing apps within the household? I know an itunes account can be tied to 5 different computers, but can the apps bought be tied to 5 different devices too?[/QUOTE]

As long as all the devices are using the same username and password then I do not think there is any limit especially now that they are making apps that work for both the iPhone and iPad.

Went to Bankrun.com. Eugh. How charmless.

That evil German guy was cool as hell though, the only redeeming quality. The game should be fun, too.

[quote name='Owen']As long as all the devices are using the same username and password then I do not think there is any limit especially now that they are making apps that work for both the iPhone and iPad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but im just concerned whether it'll unsynch the previous apps or just add the app purchased from the other account. Sort of like the PS3 sharing thing. Anyway, i'll give it a try.

Today's OpenFeint free game is World RPS (http://itunes.apple.com/app/world-rps/id332188763?mt=8) for all you die-hard fist throwers who can't get enough RockPaperScissors action.
Free App Calendar is showing Crap of Defense (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=117). Don't know if that's a typo or just a really, really disgusting way to protect your property.
Your bonus freebie is something called Goof Boy (http://itunes.apple.com/app/goof-boy/id367261390?mt=8). Looks sorta like a reverse PacMan; avoid hitting walls and obstacles to get to your objective.

It looks like at least some of the EA Games have gone back on sale. Monopoly is back down to $2.99 and The Game Of Life dropped again to $1.99. Don't know what other games they're featuring, but they're having a "Tax Relief Sale" with discounts up to 70%

Has anyone tried the iphone Monopoly? Is it worth $3? There are a lot of angry reviews about cheating AI, but it's hard to tell if they're accurate.

[quote name='Decker']It looks like at least some of the EA Games have gone back on sale. Monopoly is back down to $2.99 and The Game Of Life dropped again to $1.99. Don't know what other games they're featuring, but they're having a "Tax Relief Sale" with discounts up to 70%

Has anyone tried the iphone Monopoly? Is it worth $3? There are a lot of angry reviews about cheating AI, but it's hard to tell if they're accurate.[/QUOTE]

I actually bought monopoly during that last sale a month or so ago and although the AI does seem a little "lucky" at times i still think its a VERY fun game. My cousin also has the game and playing wireless with him is a blast.

EDIT: Actually because of your heads up i did some more research, i searched for "EA" in itunes and found quite a few games for sale. Just bought YAHTZEE, its normally 3 bucks during that last easter sale it was 2 bucks and NOW during this sale YAHTZEE ADVENTURES is .99!!! Works for me!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobra Command is classic and Bank Run is intriguing for me (I'm a game designer who also does stunt fighting), so thanks to those who mentioned they're both free!

I've been enjoying Charmed, which was an Open Feint freebie. But most iPhone game time goes to:

Crosslogic Ultimate
It's the best Picross-style game I've played on iPhone. Has a crap-ton of puzzles (most iPhone games skimp on puzzles) and good touch-screen controls. And it's a steal at $0.99:
http://www.appshopper.com/games/crosslogic-ultimate

I've actually tried Crosslogic Ultimate and it has SO much potential, but the control scheme just kills it. It's frustrating to move anywhere on the board.

From the "is it an ad posing as a game or is it a game with serious product placement issues" division comes Audi A1 Beat Driver (http://appshopper.com/games/audi-a1-beat-driver). It is described as follows:

Audi A1 Beat Driver is a rhythm based driving game delivering free new music from some of the best up and coming rock bands around the world including La Roux, The Rakes, Lo-Fi-Fnk and Torpedo. In total there are 9 fantastic FREE music tracks to choose from and enjoy.

[quote name='Dimsdale']From the "is it an ad posing as a game or is it a game with serious product placement issues" division comes Audi A1 Beat Driver (http://appshopper.com/games/audi-a1-beat-driver). It is described as follows:

Audi A1 Beat Driver is a rhythm based driving game delivering free new music from some of the best up and coming rock bands around the world including La Roux, The Rakes, Lo-Fi-Fnk and Torpedo. In total there are 9 fantastic FREE music tracks to choose from and enjoy.[/QUOTE]Makes me want Audiosurf to hit the AppStore.. I wonder whatever happened to that, it's been over a year since they said they began working on porting it over.

audiosurf1.png

One could hope..

bread's done
Back